One democratic competitor leaves, another one enters...

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Cenk Uygur, the creator of the progressive news commentary show The Young Turks, announced Wednesday he’s running for president as a Democrat in a long shot effort of defeating President Joe Biden, whom Uygur said in an announcement would lose the presidential election.

Uygur, who called himself a “break glass in case of emergency” candidate, said Biden needs to quit the presidential race because he “has at best a 10% chance of winning” against former President Donald Trump.

Uygur is running as a “proxy” candidate for Democratic challengers to Biden, saying the sitting president would be a villain if he continues to run for president and loses.

Uygur, a naturalized citizen who immigrated from Turkey to the U.S. in 1978, believed the natural born citizen requirement needed to run for president wouldn’t disqualify him, saying a dispute over matter would reach the Supreme Court, according to Semafor.

Alternate articles on the matter:

With RFK out of the way (on the Democrat side), Cenk could pose a more unique kind of challenge to Biden, as many of the talking points used to smear RFK (by left leaning media outlets) wouldn't be able to be used against Cenk, as he outflanks Biden on the left on almost everything.

And the guy does have a certain level of reach. The online media network gets 200 million views per month, the flagship show "The Young Turks" has 4.7 million subscribers, and across all their shows, collectively, they have 12 million subscribers.

And I haven't ruled the possibility that this isn't a serious bid, but rather something of a strongarm tactic to push Biden further left (or perhaps stir up dissent among younger democrats and make them demand the party put up someone other than Biden)

And what retort would Biden supporters have?
Can't call him an anti-vaxxer
Can't call him a conspiracy theorist
He's relatively scandal-free as far as I'm aware
Can't play up the "you weren't born here" angle, as that would come across as xenophobic to a lot of the younger democrats.

Anyone who's watched him headline numerous PolitiCon events knows that he's a strong debater (apart from a few rhetorical crutches he's known for...yelling "of course!" comes to mind lol), and could easily top both Trump and Biden in a debate environment.

He's pretty progressive on most things, but has a few positions that stray from the herd that may be able to snag some independent voters.

I find the situation to be quite interesting.

Last edited:

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My chief retort is that president is not an entry-level job. I want to know that Uygur has been a senator, or a governor, or a mayor of a large city, something like that, and I don't think he's held that kind of elected office.

Not meeting the constitutional qualifications is also important. We could amend the constitution on this, and maybe we should, but right now, he doesn't meet the rules in the constitution.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My chief retort is that president is not an entry-level job. I want to know that Uygur has been a senator, or a governor, or a mayor of a large city, something like that, and I don't think he's held that kind of elected office.

Not meeting the constitutional qualifications is also important. We could amend the constitution on this, and maybe we should, but right now, he doesn't meet the rules in the constitution.
It "shouldn't be" an entry level job per say, but it has been for a handful of presidents. Where I suspect we see things a little differently, is that

A) I think there are other government jobs that are more warranting of previous government experience (like US senator or a high ranking cabinet position)

B) There doesn't seem to be any correlation between how much experience a person had and how successful of a president they ended up being (no matter which partisan lens one is viewing the situation through)

Just some examples off the cuff, George HW Bush's presidency wasn't a great one, thus the single term before getting voted out. On paper, he had credentials. He was a house rep, an ambassador, a UN delegate, head of the RNC, CIA director, 2x VP prior to becoming president. He was gone after one term.

Obama on the other hand (whether people liked him or not) was a pretty successful president in terms of connecting with people and getting a lot of his agenda accomplished... he resume? Single-term Jr. Senator from Illinois...the end.

Bill Clinton ranks high on the list of successful presidents, he was a former governor of a sparsely populated southern state. His pre-presidency resume was comparable to that of Jimmy Carter (who wasn't very successful as president)

Eisenhower never held elected office prior to presidency...Nixon's resume was far more impressive prior to getting the "big chair"

...you get the idea.

With regards to your second part, it sounds like he's counting on that to be challenged, presumably so it can go to the supreme court (which draws more media attention to his candidacy)

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Cenk Uygur, the creator of the progressive news commentary show The Young Turks, announced Wednesday he’s running for president as a Democrat in a long shot effort of defeating President Joe Biden, whom Uygur said in an announcement would lose the presidential election.

Uygur, who called himself a “break glass in case of emergency” candidate, said Biden needs to quit the presidential race because he “has at best a 10% chance of winning” against former President Donald Trump.

Uygur is running as a “proxy” candidate for Democratic challengers to Biden, saying the sitting president would be a villain if he continues to run for president and loses.

Uygur, a naturalized citizen who immigrated from Turkey to the U.S. in 1978, believed the natural born citizen requirement needed to run for president wouldn’t disqualify him, saying a dispute over matter would reach the Supreme Court, according to Semafor.

Alternate articles on the matter:

With RFK out of the way (on the Democrat side), Cenk could pose a more unique kind of challenge to Biden, as many of the talking points used to smear RFK (by left leaning media outlets) wouldn't be able to be used against Cenk, as he outflanks Biden on the left on almost everything.

And the guy does have a certain level of reach. The online media network gets 200 million views per month, the flagship show "The Young Turks" has 4.7 million subscribers, and across all their shows, collectively, they have 12 million subscribers.

And I haven't ruled the possibility that this isn't a serious bid, but rather something of a strongarm tactic to push Biden further left (or perhaps stir up dissent among younger democrats and make them demand the party put up someone other than Biden)

And what retort would Biden supporters have?
Can't call him an anti-vaxxer
Can't call him a conspiracy theorist
He's relatively scandal-free as far as I'm aware
Can't play up the "you weren't born here" angle, as that would come across as xenophobic to a lot of the younger democrats.

Anyone who's watched him headline numerous PolitiCon events knows that he's a strong debater (apart from a few rhetorical crutches he's known for...yelling "of course!" comes to mind lol), and could easily top both Trump and Biden in a debate environment.

He's pretty progressive on most things, but has a few positions that stray from the herd that may be able to snag some independent voters.

I find the situation to be quite interesting.
It’ll be an interesting President campaign season in 2028, I’ll bet.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

I think this will disqualify him. If not, then he's just going to lose to Schwarzenegger in the general.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0