Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We can go astray alone or with a whole congregation who have gone astray. Fortunate for us that God Himself teaches those who seek His guidance.
If my life is getting better then I know I am walking with God. If my life is going from bad to worse then I know I am not walking with God and I need to find out what the problem is.

Proverbs 4:18
The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining brighter and brighter until midday.

Psalm 84:7 They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And I'd personally say it's already happened as those who profess him as Lord are already part of his church regardless of whatever earthly denomination they may be a part of, but that doesn't seem to be what a number of people are insisting upon here, so I'm curious as to which of the many earthly denominations we are all supposed to pick and how it is to be enforced...for our own good, of course. :)
Those hoping for unity are misguided i think. They seem to believe they can hold onto the traditions that divide us and still find unity. It doesnt work that way imo.

• Agree
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree, but I'd still like to know for curiosity's sake which of the denominations we're all supposed to gather under for the sake of unity, and precisely how it is to be accomplished. :)
Look for the most loving church you can find in your community. Where they have compassion, care and concern for each other.

John 13:35 "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

1 John 3:14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. The one who does not love remains in death.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Look for the most loving church you can find in your community. Where they have compassion, care and concern for each other.

John 13:35 "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

1 John 3:14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. The one who does not love remains in death.

So how is every true believer in Christ worldwide going to fit inside that church building and how are we going to get them all to agree to change their denominations to that one?

Upvote 0

Dan the deacon

Jul 10, 2018
Perry
✟28,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Definitely not. History has shown that anyone with that sort of power abused it and would persecute people who had differing beliefs. The entire reason for all these denominations was that people were no longer oppressed and forced to follow one particular religion. So its better to have multiple denominations than have a lack of religious freedom.
But what about those very different beliefs? Not all beliefs are true. So are you saying such is OK?
How some are dispensationalist, a mill or partial prettiest doesn't really matter and if this is all we disagreed on we'd be fine. Bit we have very different beliefs on salvation. This does matter. OSAS, Armenianism and the other odd things that sepetate us are kinda funny until you think of the division they cause. How salvation happens is key to Christianity. Yet Christians are divided over the very fundamentals.
Years ago I was Baptist. But I was against the biggest group in the Baptist faith. That group had two sides that were very opposed to the other. I wasn't in agreement with either side.
So.here so am now. I.belong to the oldest Church. I'm a deacon and not required to hold on to beliefs that are not biblical nor historic. Am I going to heaven? It is my hope but not my decision . I'll leave that judgement where it belongs. With God.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you determine the NT model for church. You can see what resembles it today and what does not.
The Church was in its infancy in the NT, so it is hardly surprising that no church fits such a description today.

• Agree
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm not incredibly well versed in Amish theology, but I do know that they keep Sunday as the Sabbath, which is something that started in Rome
It wasn't something that started in Rome. It is the universal practice of all ancient churches including those who were completely outside the influence of Rome.

• Agree
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are those who argue there should be just one denomination. I am pointing out a danger in such a system, and suggesting the Lord might prefer multiple denominations.
That would be contrary to what Paul wrote in Philippians.

So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any incentive of love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind.

Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you stand firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel, and not frightened in anything by your opponents​

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So how is every true believer in Christ worldwide going to fit inside that church building and how are we going to get them all to agree to change their denominations to that one?
John Wesley would prescribe holiness and purity. We need Divine Love, Divine Faith, Grace & the Promises of God. Without this the storms of life will destroy us.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Church was in its infancy in the NT
I attended a church around 30 years ago and they were trying to restore us back to what the early church had. Even I had a friend that died because he did not think that healing and miracles were for today and we could not get him to receive the healing that God had for him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The entire church is to be of one mind and one accord. Science would refer to this as a universal consciousness. The Bible talks about the flesh or the garment we wear and this has to do with our thoughts, words and deeds. We we are properly clothed with a wedding garment that has no spots, blemishes or wrinkles. Some people would say body, mind & soul and some would say body, soul & spirit.

Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I have other people online that i fellowship with. I struggle with social anxiety but the Lord never forsook me, no, He taught me and helped me. This is praiseworthy.
Then you ARE part of a church.

Just don't be alone in your faith and worship. Loners can too easily fall into error and heresy, other people are the check against that. They can also help you when you are in need.

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It wasn't something that started in Rome. It is the universal practice of all ancient churches including those who were completely outside the influence of Rome.
How do you explain the hundreds of thousands of ancient churches that were extinguished by being put to death after refusing to keep sunday and instead being found keeping the 7th day Sabbath?

How do you explain the RCC itself, and historians worlds over openly admitting that the earliest churches kept the Sabbath on the 7th day until slaughtered by the Romans, and then later Constantine, and then even later the papacy?

Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Actually, Ekklesia are the people God called and chose and SET APART HOLY for Himself,
while the 'church' can be simply anything else that calls itself a church, even if not called nor chosen nor set apart by God nor for God.
Then it is the misuse of the word 'church' that is at fault, not the church.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How do you explain the hundreds of thousands of ancient churches that were extinguished by being put to death after refusing to keep sunday and instead being found keeping the 7th day Sabbath?
Your fervent imagination, since none of what you just claimed has any historical basis.
How do you explain the RCC itself, and historians worlds over openly admitting that the earliest churches kept the Sabbath on the 7th day until slaughtered by the Romans, and then later Constantine, and then even later the papacy?
More fantasy. The only truth in the above is that early churches honored the Sabbath, which the Orthodox Church still does. You continue however, to omit that the early churches also met primarily on Sunday, early in the morning after which they had to work for the rest of the day.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The leader who disobeys the example of Jesus is no longer a leader? I don't see them being removed from office.
"Office" is irrelevant. We are a royal priesthood and we all have direct access to His Spirit.

A believer always has the choice between following Christ Jesus in the direction of Love, and following another person in another direction.

When it becomes apparant that the person of "office" is leading away from the Love of Christ, should we not keep our eyes on Christ Jesus?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Church was in its infancy in the NT, so it is hardly surprising that no church fits such a description today.
We could say this about everything in the NT a not use it at all. Since we can follow the NT model for church, shouldn't we?

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We could say this about everything in the NT a not use it at all. Since we can follow the NT model for church, shouldn't we?
Do you meet in the Synagogues as the early Christians did?

Upvote 0