One Bread, One Body - What does that have to do with Catholicism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

christian-only

defender of the rebirth
Mar 20, 2004
✟1,017.00
Faith
Christian
I have a simple question on the name of this forum ("One Bread, One Body - Catholic Discussions"):

Seeing as how the Roman Catholic church places an individual wafer on each communicant's tongue, how can it be said among Catholics "we being many are one loaf, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one loaf," (1 Cor 10:17) since each partakes of a different wafer, thereby, a different bread, which isn't even a loaf to begin with?

christian-only

defender of the rebirth
Mar 20, 2004
✟1,017.00
Faith
Christian
But when Paul says "The loaf which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?" he is refering to an actual literal loaf of bread (seeing as how you can't break Christ, and I hope you wouldn't want to). So, even if the bread changed into being literally Christ's flesh, it would be one loaf of bread first, rather than many wafers. Right?

Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
First-- go read a few different translations- it is bread in many translations-- and then go read John chapter 6. It is His Flesh and Blood-- He doesn't correct His disciples when they tell Him that this teaching is too hard-- He lets them walk away rather than saying that He doesn't mean this literally.

Now-- mind you-- you can't debate here-- you can ask questions and discuss, but not debate....

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Christian-only,

I see that you are new here. Let me welcome you:wave: You may visit often as long as you observe the posting rules. I'd like to ask you a question: What was you objective in asking your questions? Were you seeking information and clarification? Or were you trying to engage some Catholics to show them where they're wrong? Keep the answer to that in mind when participating and you'll be ok.

May God richly bless you in your journey of faith:pray:

Veritas=Truth

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Veritas

Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Eusebios said:
Looks like someone may be doing a little "trolling" here guys! Glad you put the clamps on this quickly. By the way, I'm quite fond of the OBOB Moniker:) Your EO bro,
Eusebios.
:troll:
Everytime I say "OBOB", I think of that Star Wars droid. Can't get it out of my head. :eek:

Upvote 0

christian-only

defender of the rebirth
Mar 20, 2004
✟1,017.00
Faith
Christian
Why accuse so quickly? I'm not arguing, debating, or trolling. I just want to know how you can claim to be eating "one bread" (and the word bread in the verse, artos, means loaf) when you are actually eating multiple wafers? Even though you believe all these wafers have changed into Jesus, they are still multiple wafers rather than one loaf, are they not? I mean if you had one loaf and everyone broke off a piece from it, then you could say along with Paul (1) that you were eating one loaf and (2) "the loaf which WE break is it not the communion of the body of Christ?" 1 Cor 10:16

Upvote 0

KennySe

Habemus Papam!
Aug 6, 2003
Visit site
✟14,554.00
Faith
Catholic
christian-only said:
I have a simple question on the name of this forum ("One Bread, One Body - Catholic Discussions"):

Seeing as how the Roman Catholic church places an individual wafer on each communicant's tongue, how can it be said among Catholics "we being many are one loaf, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one loaf," (1 Cor 10:17) since each partakes of a different wafer, thereby, a different bread, which isn't even a loaf to begin with?

The bread that we eat is the bread from heaven.

And we are one body in that bread.

--------------

Here are the lyrics to the song "One Bread, One Body"

One bread, one body, one Lord of all;
One cup of blessing which we bless,
And we, though many, throughout the earth,
We are one body in this one Lord.

Gentile or Jew,
Servant or free,
Woman or man,
No more.

Many the gifts,
Many the works,
One in the Lord
Of all.

Grain for the fields,
Scattered and grown,
Gathered to one
For all

We are one body in this one Lord.​

Upvote 0

christian-only

defender of the rebirth
Mar 20, 2004
✟1,017.00
Faith
Christian
KennySe said:
The bread that we eat is the bread from heaven.

But what of where Paul says "The bread which we break" there in 1 Cor 10:16? The one bread that he refers to there is one that is broken in present tense, hence one that is broken every time the supper is observed. Do you break Christ everytime you take communion? Do you break "one loaf" every time you take communion? Do you even break your wafer everytime you take communion?

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
christian-only said:
But what of where Paul says "The bread which we break" there in 1 Cor 10:16? The one bread that he refers to there is one that is broken in present tense, hence one that is broken every time the supper is observed. Do you break Christ everytime you take communion? Do you break "one loaf" every time you take communion? Do you even break your wafer everytime you take communion?
Some Catholic churches do in fact break the bread from one loaf. Other churches use wafers. The point is yes, it all does come from the same source. It is the Body of Christ. We all share the same bread. Every single Catholic on Earth who receives communion receives it from the same loaf....the bread that came down from heaven....Jesus the Christ.

Reactions: Benedicta00
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KennySe

Habemus Papam!
Aug 6, 2003
Visit site
✟14,554.00
Faith
Catholic
christian-only said:
I just want to know how you can claim to be eating "one bread" (and the word bread in the verse, artos, means loaf) when you are actually eating multiple wafers?
Even though you believe all these wafers have changed into Jesus, they are still multiple wafers rather than one loaf, are they not?

Jesus cannot be divided.
If one actual baked loaf is torn into 1,000 itty bitty pieces (upon being concecrated) each of those itty bitty pieces (as perceived by our human senses) is 100% the Body, Blood, Soul and Diivinity of Jesus.
Jesus cannot be divided. Jesus is with us.

I mean if you had one loaf and everyone broke off a piece from it, then you could say along with Paul (1) that you were eating one loaf and (2) "the loaf which WE break is it not the communion of the body of Christ?" 1 Cor 10:16

Yes.

And if we have wafers, which by the way are made of unleavened bread, and they are concecrated, EACH becomes the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus.

Whether the perceived bread is divided AFTER consecration (a single loaf), or divided BEFORE concentration (the manufactured wafers which are unleavened bread) makes no difference.

The actuality is that upon the words of concentration, the Holy Spirit Himself is the power which causes the spiritual (which is real) change.

Upvote 0

Veritas

Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
christian-only said:
No, the priest has a special host that is very large, and he breaks it in half at the consecration (when transubstantiation takes place) I think the one loaf, individual wafer thing is a non-issue. I fail to see how it relates to Christ's presence in the Eucharist.

Upvote 0

KennySe

Habemus Papam!
Aug 6, 2003
Visit site
✟14,554.00
Faith
Catholic
christian-only said:

Amen, Amen, I say to you that I answered your question before you had posted it.

To go into more depth, we do not break Christ, for He cannot be broken.
The priest does break what appears to be a large host into two, and he eats what appears to be those two halves. But, he has not broken Christ.

You should attend a Mass, as a spectator.
Or witness it on EWTN, the cable channel.

Or see the movie "The Passion of The Christ". And think of our Catholic belief when see Jesus eating with His apostles.
And do not think with your carnal mind, "But Jesus is standing there, therefore he was not holding Himself up.in His hands"

For THAT is exactly what the Lord's Supper was, the first Mass.

"The First Mass" in chronological terms.
For that SAME Lord's Supper is in Heaven, as is recorded in the Book of Revelation. The Lamb's Supper.

And all who eat, are THE bride.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.