USA
✟23,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is once saved always saved biblical? Is it a false doctrine? Some say it’s false and some say it is true. What bothers me is some say that it leads to hell.
I know that we are saved by Chirst and nothing more. I do not think works are necessary. Some bible verses seem to be for and against once saved always saved. I’m trying to talk to my pastor about this because it’s hard to know what to trust at times. Here is a link of why I was asking.
Backsliding or Backslider GOD WANTS YOU BACK
ETERNAL SECURITY Doctrine and Grace is False

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
What did the first Christians have to say? If we're so unsure of what everything in the Bible means today, then our first resource should be the first Christians. See what they had to say and you'll find your answer.

Reactions: HTacianas
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Is once saved always saved biblical? Is it a false doctrine? Some say it’s false and some say it is true. What bothers me is some say that it leads to hell.
I know that we are saved by Chirst and nothing more. I do not think works are necessary. Some bible verses seem to be for and against once saved always saved. I’m trying to talk to my pastor about this because it’s hard to know what to trust at times. Here is a link of why I was asking.
Dan Corner is wrong but rather amusing in his ignorance of the spectrum of theologies dealing with the doctrine of Eternal Security. Almost every statement he makes is wrong. I've got to remind myself to write a web page critiquing his stuff and add it to my Berean Chrisitian Bible Study Resource site. Actually have a whole section under my Theology menu linked to a number of articles I've written on the subject of Eternal Security.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The reason some say yes and others say no is because they both fully believe a half truth understanding. Your spirit is the first thing saved when you accept Jesus as your savior. You then ‘begin’ working out the salvation of your soul. Your spirit is OSAS but your soul can make steps forward as you begin to overcome sins in your life. But you can also make steps forward 'walking in the spirit', and then backslide, essentially loosing part or all of what you had saved, by 'walking after the flesh'.

But going TO heaven isn’t based upon your soul being saved. It’s based upon your spirit being birthed into the family of God. And your soul’s progressive salvation just determines your rewards IN heaven.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

EJ M

Site Supporter
Apr 1, 2018
MT
✟91,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What is believed to be the roots of this false doctrine is Calvin's attempt to salve his conscience.
After using old testament scripture to murder "heretics" and his, (Calvin's) conscience troubling him exceedingly, he came up with unconditional eternal security.
And the other 4 points of Calvinism as well.
It is probable that if a Calvinist believes all 5 points or any of them, but doesn't practice,
they need not worry.
But there have been some Calvinists who have lived horrible lives, including Calvin himself who defy the description of the saved who would still claim to be Christians according to Calvin's "unconditional eternal security"
Like so many other modern Christians, the scriptures are wrested to their own destruction.
Please come soon Lord Jesus.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Both. God has forgiven once and for all, your input is not needed.
Yet man has a timeline to follow and must keep the faith.
Even though God knows all about this already.
With man this is not conceivable. Simple as that.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟963,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Conditional Security vs. Eternal Security is an on-going debate in Christendom. But you need to understand something about such debates.

We, the people, don't get to DECIDE which is reality. God has established one, the other or somewhere in the middle, and it is incumbent on us (with the Holy Spirit's help) to zero in on which one it is. It is NOT incumbent on us to convince our fellow Christian one way or the other. (That's the Holy Spirit's job.)

If you do study to be a pastor, you will probably face this question in depth (such as all of the Scriptures supporting one view or the other). That should carry more weight than a popular opinion poll on Christianity Forums.

My approach to unsettled debates in Christendom is thus.

View A is the best-case scenario. (Eternal Security, Pre-trib rapture, etc.)
View B is the worst-case scenario. (Conditional Security, Post-trib, etc.)
  1. If you subscribe to A and it is correct, you win.
  2. If you subscribe to B and it is correct, you win.
  3. If you subscribe to A and B proves correct, you lose.
  4. If you subscribe to B and A proves correct, you still win.
View B is the safer bet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Theadorus

Site Supporter
May 9, 2017
Colorado springs
✟124,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi there! I didn't read the links you posted (just so you know), but to answer your question, once saved always saved is pretty much true. The Bible does not present it in those words, but everything boils down to two things: whether you are born again or not (whether you are a child of God, or not). If you are born again (receive salvation; believe on Christ), you immediately become saved and sealed by the Holy Spirit, and are given the promise of eternal redemption by God; And there is nothing anybody can do to take that away from you.

To go even deep, when a person is born again, the sin nature (are old and dead spirit) that was previously in us dies, and God gives us a new and perfect spirit. That's why Paul tells us that we are now new creations in Christ. because once we believe on Christ, we are given a brand new spirit that is perfect, righteous, holy, blameless, just like Jesus is. And no amount of mistakes, no amount of unfaithfulness, will ever cause us to "lose" our right standing before God.

That's why, in a sense, the once saved always saved doctrine is true because there is nothing that we, or anyone else can do to cause us to "lose" our salvation. Once we are born again, we belong to God, and there is nothing we can do about it (which is a good thing in my eyes :) )

Now, I will say that just because there isn't anything we can do in order to "lose" our salvation, there is something we can do to forsake it (throw it away). But honestly, 99% of the christiasn out there never have to worry about this because in order for a believer to be held accountable for forsaking (renouncing; throwing away) their salvation, they have to reach a certain level of maturity as a believer. Hebrews 6 gives the qualifications once must meet in order to be held accountable for renouncing ones salvation, but honestly, very few Christians ever reach that point in their life.

So it's safe to say that technically once you are saved, you'll always be saved.

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kota

Sep 18, 2018
USA
✟23,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is believed to be the roots of this false doctrine is Calvin's attempt to salve his conscience.
After using old testament scripture to murder "heretics" and his, (Calvin's) conscience troubling him exceedingly, he came up with unconditional eternal security.
And the other 4 points of Calvinism as well.
It is probable that if a Calvinist believes all 5 points or any of them, but doesn't practice,
they need not worry.
But there have been some Calvinists who have lived horrible lives, including Calvin himself who defy the description of the saved who would still claim to be Christians according to Calvin's "unconditional eternal security"
Like so many other modern Christians, the scriptures are wrested to their own destruction.
Please come soon Lord Jesus.
So do you think their is conditional eternal security? Like if we remain in Chirst, we are guranteed eternal life. Do you think this doctrine leads to hell?

Upvote 0

Kota

Sep 18, 2018
USA
✟23,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Conditional Security vs. Eternal Security is an on-going debate in Christendom. But you need to understand something about such debates.

We, the people, don't get to DECIDE which is reality. God has established one, the other or somewhere in the middle, and it is incumbent on us (with the Holy Spirit's help) to zero in on which one it is. It is NOT incumbent on us to convince our fellow Christian one way or the other. (That's the Holy Spirit's job.)

If you do study to be a pastor, you will probably face this question in depth (such as all of the Scriptures supporting one view or the other). That should carry more weight than a popularity poll on Christianity Forums.

My approach to unsettled debates in Christendom is thus.

View A is the best-case scenario. (Eternal Security, Pre-trib rapture, etc.)
View B is the worst-case scenario. (Conditional Security, Post-trib, etc.)
  1. If you subscribe to A and it is correct, you win.
  2. If you subscribe to B and it is correct, you win.
  3. If you subscribe to A and B proves correct, you lose.
  4. If you subscribe to B and A proves correct, you still win.
View B is the safer bet.
By losing, do you mean hell? Or I am just looking into to it too much

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟963,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟963,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By losing, do you mean hell?
Potentially.

Person A isn't prepared for eventuality B.
Person B doesn't need to be prepared for eventuality A.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EJ M

Site Supporter
Apr 1, 2018
MT
✟91,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So do you think their is conditional eternal security? Like if we remain in Chirst, we are guranteed eternal life. Do you think this doctrine leads to hell?
Yes, however not if believed only, and not practiced. Calvin believed and practiced his belief in Unconditional eternal security, and murdered more than 50 people and inspired many more murders.
7 times in Rev 2-3 Jesus encourages us to overcome with 7 promises if we do.
If we do not overcome, He warns us He will remove our candlestick.
Jude reminds us that He is able to keep us from falling and present us faultless, however it seems only if we don't want to fall based on Heb 6 and 10 where He warns us about the consequences of willful sin. Not good.
If we believe and obey, we have nothing to fear, we cannot be lost.

Upvote 0

Kota

Sep 18, 2018
USA
✟23,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Potentially.

Person A isn't prepared for eventuality B.
Person B doesn't need to be prepared for eventuality A.
I’m writing a long email to my pastor so I can discuss eternal security with him. I just want to follow the truth. I think that conditional eternal security is just that we have to stay fully in Christ and not turn our backs on him. Nevertheless, I think that sometimes people may go through doubts and that their salvation is not lost, as long as they are not renouncing Christ.
I also do not think that conditional eternal security means we have to worry if we are going to hell. I think that we can know as long as we are obedient to Christ, we will have eternal life, which gives me comfort.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟963,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nevertheless, I think that sometimes people may go through doubts and that their salvation is not lost, as long as they are not renouncing Christ.
God's Grace covers our failings as long as we keep coming back to Him, via 1 John 1:9.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟997,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What bothers me is some say that it leads to hell.

I can tell you this; it does not lead to "hell". That's just what some of those who believe in loss of salvation like to say to scare you into taking their stance and rejecting OSAS. They'll tell you that you are just looking for an excuse to "live in sin". Blah blah blah. I don't need the fear of losing God's love or grace to deter me from sinning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟997,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m writing a long email to my pastor so I can discuss eternal security with him. I just want to follow the truth.

And that is good. Talk to others who may be more knowledgeable in the word than you might be right now. Seek advice, perspective. Listen to arguments from both sides of the issue. And most of all pray to the Spirit for guidance. Then decide for yourself. Either way, so long as you believe Jesus Christ is Son of God, your Lord and Savior, and died for your sins and was raised from the dead three days later that we too may rise again and love forever one day with forgiveness of sins :), then I see no reason to judge you as a false Christian or unbeliever, regardless of whether you take the OSAS stance or believe that the Bible rather teaches that you can lose status as a true believer through so much sin or lack of faith. This is a subject peripheral to salvation or true belief in Jesus Christ as far as I am concerned, anyway. It'd be like saying only Baptists can truly be saved but all Methodists are false. Or that those who believe Revelation teaches preterism instead of the currently majority view of literal Tribulation and Rapture are not "true believers". Such things are secondary to Christ Himself. HE is the Way, the Truth, and the Life - not OSAS, not traditional hell, not preterism, etc.

Upvote 0