Once Saved Always Saved: True, False, or Misrepresented?

Going Merry

‏‏‏‏ ‏‏‏‏
Mar 14, 2012
✟16,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm strongly inclined to believe so, but not without much embarrasment when their works are "burned" and they themselves are saved, 'yet as though by fire':
1Cor315 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Whaddaya think o' dem apples, sis? Have I got a case? Or am I a case?;)

But if you think about it going to another gospel, such as those in Galatians 3, they have changed their foundation though professing belief in Christ but having a different mindset. At least that's how I view it.

1 Cor 3:10-11
According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0
N

Nanopants

But if you think about it going to another gospel, such as those in Galatians 3, they have changed their foundation though professing belief in Christ but having a different mindset. At least that's how I view it.

1 Cor 3:10-11
According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

What if I use scripture as my foundation, but for the most part I leave out Christ, since at least in my cannon there are only 4 books that explicitly focus on Him?

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What if I use scripture as my foundation, but for the most part I leave out Christ, since at least in my cannon there are only 4 books that explicitly focus on Him?

Wait though. Christ is God. The whole Bible focuses on Him, right?

I honestly don't mean that in a flip way, but I have heard this before, and don't quite understand it?

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I get your point, so it would likewise be a mistake to limit focus to what Jesus said because it was Jesus saying it.(?)
So solving the dilema of finding a balanced approach to consideration of scripture involves being able to identify inspired text?

Upvote 0
N

Nanopants

Wait though. Christ is God. The whole Bible focuses on Him, right?

I honestly don't mean that in a flip way, but I have heard this before, and don't quite understand it?

What I'm getting at is a difference in the way the scriptures can be perceived. If we read being rooted in the knowledge of who God is (revealed in the Gospels), we may walk away with a drastically different interpretation of other scripture than those who read it without being rooted in Christ.

What if we do the opposite and read the Gospels being rooted in some impression of God given by Moses? Is that how we should interpret the nature of Christ and in which case are we likely to get burned?

Upvote 0

Giver

Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
What I meant was that I was trying to understand what YOU are saying..
And I do know/have watched many others try to as well.

Yes, much false teaching
And some of what you say 'is' confusing.
I'm saying so
Others have said so.
It's not confusing to you because you understand what you mean
but you haven't been able to convey that to me,
and so to ME it's confusing.
But I don't want to ruin the thread anymore than we
already have :)

Just thought I'd try to see what you were saying because it seemed
to me that you were suggesting that we are kicked out of the kingdom
if we arent' perfect

Yes, only God can, through many avenues.
You must not be watching the game either.

No God can only teach one by you knowing it is God that is teaching you.

There is only one avenue, and that is God.

(1 John 2:27) “But you have not lost the anointing that he gave you, and you do not need anyone to teach you, the anointing he gave teaches you everything; you are anointed with truth, not a lie, and as it has taught you, so you must stay in him.”

Yes Jesus calls us to be perfect. Yet one is not allowed into the kingdom of God because he or she is not perfect.

No one is not allowed into the kingdom of God if he or she are deliberately disobedient.

Also you keep saying what I say. I quote scripture that says what I say. Do you want me to quote all the scripture that says what I say?

What you are saying that the scripture you have read tells you a different story then what the scripture I quote.

I am telling you that it is not scripture that is telling you a different story, but man’s understanding of scripture. I believe man’s understanding is only Satan’s induced understanding.

By the way do you think Jesus would have come down and sat next to me if people were ready to hear what he has taught me?

The Holy Spirit was teaching me that a Christian did not sin long before Jesus came to teach me personally. I just needed more convincing to be able to confront people with the truth while being laughed at.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You must not be watching the game either.
I saw the halftime show and about blushed :(
What makes me mad is that all my christian friends are wowed by that ..
So now I'm a prude i reckon.

No God can only teach one by you knowing it is God that is teaching you.
:thumbsup:
but God does use men as well.
Eph 4 explains that ...
Either way, whether He uses men or books or his voice,
it's ALL Him teaching, just different avenues.

There is only one avenue, and that is God.
One teacher I'd say, who uses any 'avenue' to get through to us.
Some hear God better than others.

(1 John 2:27) “But you have not lost the anointing that he gave you, and you do not need anyone to teach you, the anointing he gave teaches you everything; you are anointed with truth, not a lie, and as it has taught you, so you must stay in him.”
And that's true, we don't need anyone but God to teach us.
And God can use men to do that, no?
Since, as he was speaking right here, he WAS teaching them.
See that?

Yes Jesus calls us to be perfect.

? You mean "holy"?

By the way do you think Jesus would have come down and sat next to me if people were ready to hear what he has taught me?

The Holy Spirit was teaching me that a Christian did not sin long before Jesus came to teach me personally. I just needed more convincing to be able to confront people with the truth while being laughed at.
[/QUOTE]
We all have the same Bible, we all have the same anointing,
we all have the same God with the same message.

Upvote 0

Giver

Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
I saw the halftime show and about blushed :(
What makes me mad is that all my christian friends are wowed by that ..
So now I'm a prude i reckon.

:thumbsup:
but God does use men as well.
Eph 4 explains that ...
Either way, whether He uses men or books or his voice,
it's ALL Him teaching, just different avenues.

One teacher I'd say, who uses any 'avenue' to get through to us.
Some hear God better than others.

And that's true, we don't need anyone but God to teach us.
And God can use men to do that, no?
Since, as he was speaking right here, he WAS teaching them.
See that?

? You mean "holy"?
We all have the same Bible, we all have the same anointing,
we all have the same God with the same message.[/quote]

God needs teachers to bring the Good news to people so they will come to accept Jesus as his or her God. When those people receive the Holy Spirit they no longer need a teacher.

Do I have to look up the scripture that tells us just that?

Jesus said his people would hear his voice and would follow no other. If one has been called by Jesus, and is following him then following any man’s teaching is totally wrong unless Jesus tells one the man’s teaching is right.

When I asked Jesus what seminary to attend he said: “NO! Do not read about me. I will teach you about me.” Going to a seminary to learn about God is, I believe one of the most dangerous thing a Christian can do.

The proof of that is Jesus teaching me has produced good fruit I don’t sin. Can you tell me any seminary that has good fruit such as that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,784,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread had undergone a clean up in a few places.

As a reminder, the site rules include:

Flaming and Harassment
● Do not insult, belittle, mock, goad, personally attack, threaten, harass, or use derogatory nicknames in reference to other members or groups of members. Address the context of the post, not the poster.
● If you are flamed, do not respond in-kind. Alert staff to the situation by utilizing the report button. Do not report another member out of spite.
● Do not state or imply that another member or group of members who have identified themselves as Christian are not Christian.
● Those who do not adhere to the Statement of Faith are welcome as members and participants in discussions, but you are required to respect these beliefs, even if you do not share them.
● Do not make another member's experience on this site miserable. This includes, making false accusations or persistently attacking them in the open forums.
● Respect another member's request to cease personal contact.
That includes individual members and groups. The General Theology Statement of Purpose includes:

II. No flaming opposing theological views

The General Theology forum is for discussing and debating the various theological doctrines of the Christian faith. All member's who participate in GT are self-identified Christians through adherence to the Christian Forums' Statement of Faith and the Trinitarian nature of God. It is expected that people who post in GT will respect all members of the Christian faith.

• Always remember that you are first and foremost brothers and sisters in Christ, regardless of your theological differences and viewpoints.
  • When speaking about well-known, revered and highly regarded past or present leaders, theologians, saints (living or deceased) of other Nicene Christian denominations, please show a measure of respect. These public religious figures are respected by the members who belong to those denominations. Please avoid using inflammatory words or phrases in reference to these public religious figures. *see examples below*
  • It is permissible to discuss biblical/historical topics that may include inflammatory words or phrases as long as the usage of these words does not specifically flame any CF recognized Nicene group or denomination or insinuate that they are not Christians. Please use these words and phrases with caution. *see examples below*
    • Examples of inflammatory words/phrases (including but not limited to): idolaters, false/different/other gospel, false prophet, false doctrine, heretics, blasphemers, evil, sheep in wolves clothing, different God, antichrists, Antichrist, cannibalism/cannibal (concerning Eucharist), Judaizer.
Mind the rules

Upvote 0

Ashlantal

Not Really a Newbie Anymore
Jun 3, 2012
-----
✟8,078.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, ya know if you make threads about believers who believe other believers might burn alive forever in hell you might learn to expect a little return fire?

:doh:

Haha people are so hostile on this site . We should be calm :amen:

Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Haha people are so hostile on this site . We should be calm :amen:

That's what I love about it though! ;)

If you want to know what hell is like try witnessing at an atheist board. Now that's far more interesting. They don't give two peeps about what comes out of anyones mouth including their own. Poor people. I just love being nice to them. Drives them wild with profanity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ashlantal

Not Really a Newbie Anymore
Jun 3, 2012
-----
✟8,078.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That's what I love about it though! ;)

If you want to know what hell is like try witnessing at an atheist board. Now that's far more interesting. They don't give two peeps about what comes out of anyones mouth including their own. Poor people. I just love being nice to them. Drives them wild with profanity.

Hahah I can imagine man !

Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hahah I can imagine man !

I've seen many a believer fold under the heat and just condemn them to hell. It's quite a shock to their systems when it's the opposite. Stunning disbelief. Then they try to force you to damn them.

I refuse. It's against my religion...;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't think so. I think everybody who truly accepts Jesus will be saved. To truly accept him you must hear his message and live by it. If you simply say I accept Jesus and then sin freely then you haven't truly accepted him.

It is inevitable that we will sin at some point but the people who truly accept Jesus will try to avoid sinning. We will slip up but if we make an effort and ask for forgiveness then we will be ok.

I don't like the idea that somebody like Stalin who killed Millions of people could say I accept Jesus on his death bed and have the exact same fate as Mother Teresa.

Upvote 0