Ok to pray for God to take away a job offer that I wasn't meant for?

Aug 5, 2020
Toronto
✟15,698.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I've been an architect at the same firm for 8 years (basically right out of school), and while I love it here and get a lot of trust from the higher-ups to design fancy civic/institutional buildings, I felt my calling and real strength is in multi-family residential work, a market that my current firm can't get into because of our high overhead. I wasn't planning on switching firms during Covid, but a friend took the liberty of passing along my info to a recruiter, who proposed a few firms. I was interested in only one of the firms and got an interview with them, but while the job seems to fit 95% of my criteria - (the people are nice too and the office is only a 5 min walk away!), I'm hesitant and risk-adverse. The only other 5% is that a bigger salary increase would've sealed the deal (but I never expected that anyway switching from a big fancy firm to a smaller local one). I am hoping for a clear sign from God that this won't be a mistake that I'll regret, so I prayed that I won't have to make a tough decision and that the firm will just reject me if the job wasn't meant for me.

I requested a follow-up interview seeking more clarifications about the role, confirm they were ok with my expected salary etc, in which the partner at the firm said they were already going give me the offer based on the first interview. Still it doesn't feel like an obvious choice. Maybe my faith is weak and I'm not hearing God speaking to me, so I really hope he can be less subtle about it!

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been an architect at the same firm for 8 years (basically right out of school), and while I love it here and get a lot of trust from the higher-ups to design fancy civic/institutional buildings, I felt my calling and real strength is in multi-family residential work, a market that my current firm can't get into because of our high overhead. I wasn't planning on switching firms during Covid, but a friend took the liberty of passing along my info to a recruiter, who proposed a few firms. I was interested in only one of the firms and got an interview with them, but while the job seems to fit 95% of my criteria - (the people are nice too and the office is only a 5 min walk away!), I'm hesitant and risk-adverse. The only other 5% is that a bigger salary increase would've sealed the deal (but I never expected that anyway switching from a big fancy firm to a smaller local one). I am hoping for a clear sign from God that this won't be a mistake that I'll regret, so I prayed that I won't have to make a tough decision and that the firm will just reject me if the job wasn't meant for me.

I requested a follow-up interview seeking more clarifications about the role, confirm they were ok with my expected salary etc, in which the partner at the firm said they were already going give me the offer based on the first interview. Still it doesn't feel like an obvious choice. Maybe my faith is weak and I'm not hearing God speaking to me, so I really hope he can be less subtle about it!
Let me make sure I understand ...

You wanted a change.

An opportunity opened up for you to make that change.

Now you're not sure ???

You just need to make a decision.

Something to consider ... opportunities like the one you are considering don't come along very often.

P.S. Why would God make a job offer go away ?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You must decide what you desire and trust that they Lord will bless you in whichever option you choose. He will give you the desires of your heart......And if either job falls through, it will only be because He has something else greater prepared and waiting for you.

God hath not given us the spirit of fear.......but of a sound mind.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One consideration, if it wasn't on your criteria, is what does the firm think about Jesus, how does it relate to Christian values, beliefs, and ideologies. A place which agreeably or favorably relates to such will definitely relate well with and hold promise for a Christian employee once the employee has proven themselves a a true child of God. If they oppose Christian ideologies, beliefs, and values then your future could be filled with much pain and sorrow as yuou obey your Lord and Savior in the work place, esp in the area of the command to expose evil.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

If you accept the offer and then later find out it is not for you ... you can always change and do something different.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There are several things you should consider in the natural in addition to the creativity factor.
- I would look at it from an economic perspective. Real estate is likely going to crash at some point in the near future. The crash will not be even though. Office and retail is certainly hurting. Ask yourself, if civic/institutional building more likely to hurt more than multi-residential? Also, try to figure out the possibilities for getting laid off at your current company. Did they manage the 2008 crisis well? What about the smaller firm?

- Which company is better prepared for COVID? Working from home, social distancing, requiring too many face to face meetings etc should be considered.

- Retirement and benefits - too often neglected in jobs when one is young. Are both places near equal?

In the end though, hearing from God always is best because he can see and understand things much greater than ourselves. Yes, he can be quite specific. build more faith with scriptures such as these. I pray too that he gives you a final indication or lays out the choices clearly to you. God bless
54 Bible verses about Guidance

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2020
Toronto
✟15,698.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
To answer some questions here, I’m not concerned with longevity – it’s common practice to switch firms every 4-6 years to advance one’s career, so 8 years is already a long time. And I’m looking at a bigger long-term picture so I’m not concerned with market forces either.

My main concern is that I'll be leaving a privileged position in a great firm so I want to make sure the change is worth it. I'm confident I can get hired at almost any firm I want, so a job offer in itself isn't a "sign" for me. I just wonder if it's appropriate to ask God to close every door except the one I'm supposed to enter, to make it an easier decision for me as I keep second guessing my decisions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To answer some questions here, I’m not concerned with longevity – it’s common practice to switch firms every 4-6 years to advance one’s career, so 8 years is already a long time. And I’m looking at a bigger long-term picture so I’m not concerned with market forces either.

My main concern is that I'll be leaving a privileged position in a great firm so I want to make sure the change is worth it. I'm confident I can get hired at almost any firm I want, so a job offer in itself isn't a "sign" for me. I just wonder if it's appropriate to ask God to close every door except the one I'm supposed to enter, to make it an easier decision for me as I keep second guessing my decisions.
I would be upset if someone presumed to tell my children what they could or couldn't, should or shouldn't ask me.

I would assume that your Father would feel the same.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 5, 2020
Toronto
✟15,698.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Just reporting back a year later... the work has been fun but a bit more overwhelming in scale that I had hoped. The firm has treated me well though and given me all the fun parts as well as recognition and support, so I think I can make a bigger difference here over the long term. Overall not perfect, but definitely the right step up.

Upvote 0