Ok serious question: Do you feel useless?

bluegreysky

Can't adult today.
Sep 11, 2006
Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've had my job at a bank for a year and a half.
I've always gotten complemented on my creativity when it came to reaching out to people through referals to get new accounts,
but they don't like my customer service sometimes.
I am an extrovert, but I guess I have some ticks and flaws that make me interact with the public weird. Sometimes I hate it.
I feel like I belong in a job where I work in an office and not with the public.
However, God hasn't opened a door yet.

It is easy for me to fall into a pattern of kind of robotically saying "can I help you?" Instead of doing what the company wants me to do and trying to be each person's buddy and talk like we're pals.
I'm not that comfortable with it.
especially with the geriatric sort.
I get distracted sometimes and I don't mess up with people's money but I forget dumb stuff like to ask if they rather have $20 bills instead of $100 bills.
So a few weeks ago, I gave this lady the wrong denominations because I didn't hear what she said in the drive through and she instead of nicely commenting to me, went and complained to my manager.
So I got reprimanded last week.
Like HR knows about it. Not in serious trouble. not fired. but its bad if HR gets involved.
Manager wants me to work alot harder at paying attention.
(Blame it on my ADD)
:waaah:

Now I could just shrug it off and be like "pssshhhh whatev's"
but suddenly it stabs me in the emotional achille's heel and I feel like I should go crawl under a rock and die.
It's amazing how just getting in a little trouble at work (not even fired) can make you feel like your whole life is a screw-up.
:runcry:

What does it say about you if you're not a kid anymore, you're in your mid 20's and you aren't a lawyer, aren't a doctor, aren't CEO of anything.... just in a bottom-rung banking position that didn't even require a college degree (but I have one) and I CANT EVEN DO IT RIGHT?
:argh:

Society frowns upon those who can't have jobs and must depend on people with financial blessings to help them. They frown on people who only work in fast food or doing dirty no-brainer jobs their whole life. They frown on starving artists. Yet I feel like maybe I'm doomed to be one of these things.
:lost:

Does anyone else here have a story of getting in trouble or getting fired in a job or getting into some other situation that made you feel like you were useless as an adult human being in society?

OceanSealy

Jul 25, 2013
Texas
✟7,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I absolutely feel the same way about my life indirection.
I'm ADD as well and it doesn't take much for me to lose my train of thought very easily, in fact it has taken me an hour just to write this much because I was distracted by an article. I feel as if I'll never accomplish anything at my place of employment. The only way to get some where is via backstabbing and I'm not that ruthless, yet.
For the last four years I have felt as if I was stuck in a rut. I am just know starting to get my bearings,via church, god etc.
I've made a decision that if I'm not promoted to assistant department manager that I will go to EMT school. But I'm afraid I'll mess that up as well

Upvote 0

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Okay, I've got one for you, I think. It just happened the other day. I'd made a huge decision to leave one of my jobs (had been working 4 part time jobs) and trust the Lord to provide. Working four was just too much coordinating, and I also realized it was a product of me not trusting the Lord and trying to control provision instead of letting Him provide. So it was kind of a big deal for me to do this.

It seemed like an even bigger deal when one of the companies I still work for gave me more assignments than they'd ever given me, like days after I'd left the fourth company behind. It felt like confirmation of God's provision. So I did the six assignments that came in and then the quality control reports started to trickle into my email. 92%, 92%, 83%, 92%--so I'm feeling pretty good. My scores look good, paycheck looks good--and then the last two reports came in, 60% and 60%. What?

So I freaked, I mean practically with the back of my hand across my forehead, woe-is-me stance. I even considered emailing my supervisor and telling them not to pay me for the last two assignments. I felt like a loser, even though I knew the mistakes were innocent mistakes that I'd repaired (which gets no credit with some QCers, apparently the ones who worked those assignments). But because I was on vacation when the reports came in I decided not to email my manager until I was back to work.

In the meantime two things happened. I realized that what I was experiencing more than feeling like a loser was fear, fear that they wouldn't use me again, fear I'd just tread water financially for the rest of my life, and all that goes along with that--I was looking to the job for provision rather than the Lord. That began to calm me to the point where I could accept tht it would be fine to lose this job, and I'd be okay. The other thing that happened a day or two later? I got a request to go out on another assignment from this same company. Yeah, all my drama, for nothing. What had seemed like such a big issue, it turns out was nothing. Yes, the crappy scores are in a file somewhere, but if Jesus says I get assignments, I get assignments. Lesson learned, I'm hoping.

It's very hard when you're not doing the work you desire--yet. But don't forget Who's in control. He's got you. He knows just where you are, and He knows where you're going next, even if you don't. I know you know that, but we all need to be reminded of that from time to time. Even though the work thing is not really my current issue, I have areas in my life where I feel like I've told the mountain to move seventy-five thousand times and it's just sitting there. So I get your frustration. For everything there is a seaoson. for some reason this is the season for that job, but seasons change, and people change jobs. You will in time. And until then load yourself up with the most encouraging scriptures you can. When I was in my last difficult job situation, I kept cards with verses on my desk, in my car, in my pockets and purse, just to keep my head on straight and to remember the truth--because situations that cause us to lose hope and to judge ourselves harshly are frought with lies. We need lots of truth to counter that.

So I'm going to take my own encouragement now and go write up some cards for the current mountain that does not seem to be moving. first one more thought. It's just occured to me (Thank You, Lord! I needed that) that even the appearance that a mountain is not moving is based in a lie. It can't be possible that it isn't moving. the Lord says we can say to a mountain move and it will. So the mountain must be moving, but just not in the way I thought it would.

Blessings on you, girl. It's going to get better. More than you could ask or imagine is out there for you. He'll get you there.

Scripture cards!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Nom De Guerre

Who amongst you doesn't see life as permanent?
May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,609.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
To all things there is reason, and always for His Glory. It's a tough lesson to learn for most people, learning to put aside their Ego; but truly worth all the pain it takes to temper a soul this way. Once you are blessed enough with this understanding you will learn to release ambition, release stress, release your soul to His will.

Seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I feel worthless at my job. Although to be honest.. I'd feel worthless as a doctor or some professor.

Saving lives? Pfft.. teaching other people things other people came up with.. pfft..

I'd only feel valuable if I were a famous director, or an artist who came up with unique styles, or a scientist who came up with new theories that shook the world, like Charles Darwin..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jupiter Drops

be like a flower and turn your face to the sun
Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here's the catch - a lot of physicians suicide. They get so depressed, stressed, and burned out that they kill themselves. Being a lawyer is tough, and it's getting tougher because there are too many lawyers and their jobs are getting outsourced. Being a college prof isn't all that cracked up to be because it's just like becoming a physician, only with less pay and more brain-smashing, academic work. The list goes on with every jobs out there.

Sometimes, you just need to learn how to be happy in whatever situation you're in and try to create something else outside the box. This is a very tough thing to do. I don't even follow my own advice.

Nobody's perfect in their field. A lot of top dogs screw up every day, but we only see their 'perfect' lives because of the media. Guess what? I saw videos and articles about people who earned STEM and professional degrees but now they work as strippers, house painters, bicycle driver...

The grass is greener on the other side, they say.

Upvote 0

Jupiter Drops

Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And of course, I've seen people with no degrees or less qualifications who became successful by v/blogging, making comic strips online, merchandising their own products online, starting their own business with no cash in the beginning...

You're not useless. I guess it all depends on how you feel about yourself and how to plan forward. It's one of the hardest thing to do. Like I said, I don't even take my own advice on this, but they are true. This is going to sound like Fight Club (uh-oh, I'm breaking the FC rules), but you're not your degree, your job, or whatever. You are you, and you're going to do the best in whatever you and wherever you are. That's the blessing God has bestowed on us.

Upvote 0

Crypto

Apr 4, 2013
✟1,032.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone else here have a story of getting in trouble or getting fired in a job or getting into some other situation that made you feel like you were useless as an adult human being in society?

Firstly, don't take it so hard on yourself. Things like that can happen to anyone and it wasn't a big deal. We all have that kind of problems from time to time. You'll do great in the future. Besides, remember that we all get better at what we do as time goes by. You'll learn much more during the next months.

Regarding your question, I also feel useless at my work nowadays. It's just that to do well in what I do (I work as a researcher in a Physical Chemistry lab) you need to live for your work. Think in science all the time, live for science. I hate that. So, I became lazy now that I've decided to switch to a new field of work next year. I feel bad about it, but I can't overcome my laziness. My boss thinks that I am a lazy bastard and maybe she is right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jupiter Drops

Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Firstly, don't take it so hard on yourself. Things like that can happen to anyone and it wasn't a big deal. We all have that kind of problems from time to time. You'll do great in the future. Besides, remember that we all get better at what we do as time goes by. You'll learn much more during the next months.

Regarding your question, I also feel useless at my work nowadays. It's just that to do well in what I do (I work as a researcher in a Physical Chemistry lab) you need to live for your work. Think in science all the time, live for science. I hate that. So, I became lazy now that I've decided to switch to a new field of work next year. I feel bad about it, but I can't overcome my laziness. My boss thinks that I am a lazy bastard and maybe she is right.

It's almost like that in every profession though. Live, breathe, think whatever subject of field you're in.

Reactions: Crypto
Upvote 0

Crypto

Apr 4, 2013
✟1,032.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It's almost like that in every profession though. Live, breathe, think whatever subject of field you're in.

Thanks! That's why I am trying to find something that I really like to do. If I don't find anything, I'll go hippie for a few years and I'll travel the world.

Upvote 0

Jupiter Drops

Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks! That's why I am trying to find something that I really like to do. If I don't find anything, I'll go hippie for a few years and I'll travel the world.

Save a lot of money first. After that, go abroad and teach English to kids for a while. You get paid and be able to see other countries.

I don't feel useless, but I wish I were in a position to be more useful.

Half full glass thinking. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Crypto

Apr 4, 2013
✟1,032.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Save a lot of money first. After that, go abroad and teach English to kids for a while. You get paid and be able to see other countries.

Half full glass thinking. :thumbsup:

That sounds like a nice idea, although unfortunately English is not my native language, so they won't hire me as an ESL teacher. You know, I had met several guys who weren't obsessed with their jobs. I remember, for instance, the secretary of our department in Spain: he used to drink coffee and talk to his friends all day, and to travel the world during the summers. What a life! ^_^

Upvote 0