✟8,067.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Borealis said:
How much is too much? At what point do we say, 'there's no more than can be done, they can't handle what they've already been given'?

As far as I'm concerned, the point's been reached. My main concern now is that the people here at home who are in need will find themselves shoved aside by another tsunami that leaves no money behind to help people who live down the street.

Oh goody. I was hoping someone would finally say this. This is exactly why I have not given. The tsunami victims are not the only charity cases in the world, but the media sure do act as if they are.

Upvote 0

Borealis

Catholic Homeschool Dad
Dec 8, 2003
Barrie, Ontario
✟10,009.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
CA-Conservatives
the Colonel said:
Oh goody. I was hoping someone would finally say this. This is exactly why I have not given. The tsunami victims are not the only charity cases in the world, but the media sure do act as if they are.

That's me, watching the politically correct line and smearing it with peanut butter and molasses. :)

Upvote 0

draper

Perspicacious Poster
Jul 5, 2003
Toronto, Canada
✟20,634.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
CA-Others
Well, Borealis, at this point I do agree with you - enough money has been spent there, its an issue of coordinating it and using it effectively. Eventually there will probably be a need for more (rebuilding etc) and when we get there I'm sure citizen donations would be useful...but again its an issue that will have to be looked at once it becomes clearer. I mean I do think initially, everyone should have given something...but its too late now.

Countries have to (now) stop giving big cash donations and start giving things like planes, ships etc to get the supplies there and spend money to organize the process..I know the US has done a lot of that, not sure about other countries but I'm guessing/hoping they have/will.

But I don't think at all that this should take away from other charitable contributions you make...its not supposed to be this hard. If everyone gave 3 or 4 bucks - and it isn't hard, everyone has change lying around, then the money element would take care of itself right there. There's no reason to not give as much to other charities because of this.

Upvote 0

Cliche Guevara

Oct 17, 2004
✟1,362.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Well, if that's the way everyone feels then I'll make sure my "political correctness" is in check when Yellowstone blows it's stack or something, and I'll make sure I give nothing. After all, a vast and immediate catastrophe is way less urgent than making sure I'm not succumbing to political correctness, right?

Upvote 0

the Colonel

STARGATE SG-1!
Oct 1, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,067.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Cliche Guevara said:
Well, if that's the way everyone feels then I'll make sure my "political correctness" is in check when Yellowstone blows it's stack or something, and I'll make sure I give nothing. After all, a vast and immediate catastrophe is way less urgent than making sure I'm not succumbing to political correctness, right?

I believe you're missing the point a bit. I am overjoyed at the outpouring of giving that came from everyone in the world. I think it's a wonderful testament at the unity of man when faced with common danger, catastrophe, and ailment.

My only angst is the backlash that individuals and corporations received for not giving more than the media believed they should have. Everyone should be overjoyed that so many gave so much. To squable over how much each gave as a percentage of total giving is, to me, a total insult and completely irrelevant.

This is the issue I am addressing.

Thanks,

CK

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Scally Cap said:
From Nicholas Kristof's column in the NY Times yesterday:

"But the bottom line is that this month and every month, more people [mainly in Africa] will die of malaria (165,000 or more) and AIDS (240,000) than died in the tsunamis, and almost as many will die because of diarrhea (140,000)."

This isn't meant at all to downplay the tsunami disaster and need for relief, but simply to point out that humanitarian crises are ongoing. I for one was completely unaware of the malaria and diarrhea death tolls. Give to the tsunami effort, and think about giving to other causes as well.

the bleakness in Africa never ceases to amaze me. :(

Upvote 0

Ann Doupont

Veteran
Dec 25, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
✟10,009.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
It's not a matter of how much we gave, but rather did we give what the Lord told us to give.

I'm amazed when people evaluate the USA about whether or not we/they gave anything, or how much. As far as I know, there's no law that says that we gave to give anything. But, we did. So, people should not judge my country by comparing it to others and then make some decision about whether or not we gave enough.

The same is true for individuals. If someone is unemployed, or underemployed, and yet gives to the cause, they have perhaps given more than the one who has much surplus and gives little. Consider the widow with the mite, or penny, or whatever it's called.

Ann

Upvote 0

alaurie

Welcome, Preston!!!
Feb 21, 2004
✟11,556.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
mhess13 said:
This is all PC gone nuts again...I gave some to the tsunami, but I don't feel compelled to match my tsunami gifts to make sure that they are more than other things I give to. The most important thing we can give to in my view is printing Bibles and sponsering missionaries and preaching the word. Tsunami relief comes in second to that. IMHO

:amen: and reps to you. That's why I love Samaritan's Purse - they do both.

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.asp?section=About+Us

from Samaritan's Purse site said:
Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ.

The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0