• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Oh How I hate the low.

dabro

A child of the living God.
Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I have been going thru this depression for about two weeks. I have SZAffectice disorder and since I'm on a AP for voices I'm thinking it's more psychoticAll I know is that I'm moody all the time exploding soaked in self loathing. and just life is black and white. There's no color there. I either have to deal with a OCD spike or this stuff but the OCD I'm not really worried about. It's just this pain I feel. I toss and turn all night. Never get a wink of sleep and it has just been very hard on me.

Jan 10, 2011
tri-state NJ/NYC/
✟15,367.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I hate the lows too Dabro.....i just swung into a depression about a week ago quite suddenly. It sux so bad. I hate the self-loathing too....what in particular, if at all, are you thinking about that makes you feel self-loathing? or is it a generalized feeling?

Regarding self-loathing, neuro-chemistry aside, i was thinking about what exactly makes me think this way. i was trying to articulate to someone the thoughts i have when going through that dark tunnel. When i break down what's beneath the self-loathing, what i find is shame, humiliation and a lack of personal dignity. Aside from the helplessness, hopelessness, boredom, loneliness, anxiety, inert brain function and that difficulty in imagining that you will eventually come out of it....aside from all that, i ask myself, why do we self-loath? Why do we feel worthless? Why do we feel like such losers and isolate ourselves from others. I realize or at least, i think that part of it, at least for me, has to do with the stigma. Unlike other illnesses that people can see and are therefore a lot more sympathetic and understanding, mental illness is not one of them.

This is an invisible disease and one that impairs your will and your ability to exert self-control in your perception of self. In my experience, though i really couldn't give a frack what others think about me at the end of the day, i still hate to be treated or viewed as a weak -willed "crazy" person. We grow up in a society with certain expectations and a definition of what "success" is....even in the christian world. So it's no wonder i feel self-loathing when these internalized expectations aren't met.....it's no wonder i feel humiliated and shamed when I'm not taken seriously or the illness i struggle with is minimized continuously.

I recently heard the voicemail of an angry mother telling my clinically depressed friend who was suicidal and hospitalized the following statement: "other people have problems worse than yours, we all have problems...so just pick yourself up and stop thinking this way." I thought to myself, imagine going to the hospital and telling your paraplegic son, "c'mon, pull yourself together....get out of that wheel chair and just walk already".

People in "happy land" just don't get it....they don't want to accept that the brain is an organ that can malfunction just like any other organ and to make matters worse, unless they see blood shooting out the side of your head, then it's assumed you can control your feelings/behavior....which therefore implies the fault lies with you.

Just know that you are not alone in these thoughts/feelings....you are not weak or a failure. You are the son of the living God...a treasure in a jar of clay. Remember that you are not alone in your suffering.....that we too share your suffering as your brothers and sisters and most of all, Christ shares your suffering and weeps with you. THe fact that you are still alive proves how strong you really are. It is not your fault----the real you is not the disease. All those thoughts that seem so real now is the disease talking. These overwhelming feelings and tortured thoughts will eventually stop plaguing your mind when you return to your base norm again. In other words, you WILL come out of it as you always have.

Have you gone to see your Dr. or therapist since this episode began?

Upvote 0

dabro

Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Ya sane ppl don't understand insane ppl. I too can care less of the stigma. But my pain go's alot further then that. I had a psychosis in 05 and I was dating a beautiful woman when she saw my weakness she tried to help or atleast understand but as soon as I started to come out of the episode she ditched me. I guess my humble state fell upon her and she didn't want to be with a guy who had a M.I. At the end of the day I just try to soak up all the happy times. But being challenged it's hard to do that. And when I was young I looked down on ppl who had M.I. and now I'm in there shoe's and It's just crazy no other word I can describe it.

Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
dabro,

I really relate. I'm bipolar w/psychotic features. The lows are excruciating. Are you taking anything to help you sleep? My doctor put me on Melatonin. Not sleeping is a major trigger for me to have a full blown episode. Maybe you should talk with your Dr. about your meds and see if you can get a sleeping aid. In the meantime I'll be praying for you.

Upvote 0

romen33

Aug 8, 2012
✟15,294.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
sometimes when I get depressed it help me to get out and look at the stars or the clouds or the trees then pray and tell God how feel. If you are tired don't drive or go too far though. Lack of sleep doesn't help though I once was starting to go manic and couldn't sleep for three days I called my doctor and he phoned in a prescription to help me sleep and then I got better. I pray you get better soon.

Upvote 0

Heartfelt123

Mar 10, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
✟7,623.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know what you mean dude, i had a psycotic break in October 2008. Before that i was married and had a nice house. Afte the break everything changed, to her I was a different person now with a "label" she couldnt handle it so we divorced shortly after. It has taken me 4 years now and not out of the woods yet but getting better.

The depressions are Horrible i know, check out my poem no what depression feels like. The meds im on are starting to even out the keal (lamictal and Risperadol) at least now i can feel the depressions coming and they arent as bad. Ill be praying for you, remember that an episode is just and episode and it will pass.

Peace
Heartfelt

Upvote 0

Loven God

Sep 16, 2012
✟15,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The lows are no fun and in that time it is hard to see a end to the depression but it will come . I have not sleept well in 20 years and the lack of sleep can lead to a mixed state for me of maina and depression . I have tried many things for sleep and have not found anthing that will work for more then a week or so . one thing i am sure for no matter what God loves me and has got me through all my bipolar states . He is the one sure thing that I can count on .

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2011
tri-state NJ/NYC/
✟15,367.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
http://sermons2.redeemer.com/sermons/hemans-cry-darkness[/URL]

The Bible is incredibly realistic about the inevitability of suffering in this life and about its effect on people. Psalm 88 stands out among the psalms for its lack of hope and for the way the psalmist criticizes God. In this sermon, Tim Keller shows how we can stay close to God even when everything outside of us is going wrong and when our hearts feel a million miles from God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dabro

Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The lows are no fun and in that time it is hard to see a end to the depression but it will come . I have not sleept well in 20 years and the lack of sleep can lead to a mixed state for me of maina and depression . I have tried many things for sleep and have not found anthing that will work for more then a week or so . one thing i am sure for no matter what God loves me and has got me through all my bipolar states . He is the one sure thing that I can count on .

You havn't slept well in 20 yr's. Thats a long time. Maybe you need to get on a med to help you sleep if you havn't done that.

Upvote 0

Loven God

Sep 16, 2012
✟15,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been on every kind of sleep meds there is . The only way thy can get me sleep is to over medacaite me amd I did that for about 5 years and refuse to do that any more becoause it gave me know kind of life . Since this post my sleep as got some what better at least I get a good nights sleep about once every 2 weeks . I am praying that it keeps getting better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jan 31, 2009
West Plains Missouri
✟8,320.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I hate the lows too Dabro.....i just swung into a depression about a week ago quite suddenly. It sux so bad. I hate the self-loathing too....what in particular, if at all, are you thinking about that makes you feel self-loathing? or is it a generalized feeling?

Regarding self-loathing, neuro-chemistry aside, i was thinking about what exactly makes me think this way. i was trying to articulate to someone the thoughts i have when going through that dark tunnel. When i break down what's beneath the self-loathing, what i find is shame, humiliation and a lack of personal dignity. Aside from the helplessness, hopelessness, boredom, loneliness, anxiety, inert brain function and that difficulty in imagining that you will eventually come out of it....aside from all that, i ask myself, why do we self-loath? Why do we feel worthless? Why do we feel like such losers and isolate ourselves from others. I realize or at least, i think that part of it, at least for me, has to do with the stigma. Unlike other illnesses that people can see and are therefore a lot more sympathetic and understanding, mental illness is not one of them.

This is an invisible disease and one that impairs your will and your ability to exert self-control in your perception of self. In my experience, though i really couldn't give a frack what others think about me at the end of the day, i still hate to be treated or viewed as a weak -willed "crazy" person. We grow up in a society with certain expectations and a definition of what "success" is....even in the christian world. So it's no wonder i feel self-loathing when these internalized expectations aren't met.....it's no wonder i feel humiliated and shamed when I'm not taken seriously or the illness i struggle with is minimized continuously.

I recently heard the voicemail of an angry mother telling my clinically depressed friend who was suicidal and hospitalized the following statement: "other people have problems worse than yours, we all have problems...so just pick yourself up and stop thinking this way." I thought to myself, imagine going to the hospital and telling your paraplegic son, "c'mon, pull yourself together....get out of that wheel chair and just walk already".

People in "happy land" just don't get it....they don't want to accept that the brain is an organ that can malfunction just like any other organ and to make matters worse, unless they see blood shooting out the side of your head, then it's assumed you can control your feelings/behavior....which therefore implies the fault lies with you.

Just know that you are not alone in these thoughts/feelings....you are not weak or a failure. You are the son of the living God...a treasure in a jar of clay. Remember that you are not alone in your suffering.....that we too share your suffering as your brothers and sisters and most of all, Christ shares your suffering and weeps with you. THe fact that you are still alive proves how strong you really are. It is not your fault----the real you is not the disease. All those thoughts that seem so real now is the disease talking. These overwhelming feelings and tortured thoughts will eventually stop plaguing your mind when you return to your base norm again. In other words, you WILL come out of it as you always have.

Have you gone to see your Dr. or therapist since this episode began?
Oh this is me to a tee.:o

Upvote 0