Us
✟44,980.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have had OCD my whole life. A large chunk of my ocd in the last few years has been impulsive and intrusive thoughts (two different things) to God asking him to do/give me certain things in exhange for my life.

These have always TERRIFYED me. Especially when said thing actually ends up happening!

But I realised something last night. In the book of Jonah we see Jonah ask God straight up to take his life.

Jonah 4:3 And now, O LORD, please take my life from me, for it is better for me to die than to live.

God's immediate answer is "uhhhh...no..." and he prombtly explains why its a no.

If God won't give death to a man who LEGITIMATELY wanted it, why then would he give it to me, someone who has asked for it outside of my own control? Either through an intrusive thought (no control) or an impulsive thought where im pushed by my mind to ask for it. AKA being under duress.

I have been so foolish to think of God in this way.

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟31,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have had OCD my whole life. A large chunk of my ocd in the last few years has been impulsive and intrusive thoughts (two different things) to God asking him to do/give me certain things in exhange for my life.

These have always TERRIFYED me. Especially when said thing actually ends up happening!

But I realised something last night. In the book of Jonah we see Jonah ask God straight up to take his life.

Jonah 4:3 And now, O LORD, please take my life from me, for it is better for me to die than to live.

God's immediate answer is "uhhhh...no..." and he prombtly explains why its a no.

If God won't give death to a man who LEGITIMATELY wanted it, why then would he give it to me, someone who has asked for it outside of my own control? Either through an intrusive thought (no control) or an impulsive thought where im pushed by my mind to ask for it. AKA being under duress.

Happened to Elijah and Moses, too. God likewise said "no" and look what He did with their lives. He'll do likewise with yours!

Phillipians 1:21-26 NIV

" If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will abound on account of me."

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟125,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yeah, and @Joseph G explained it well. God wants us to fulfill his mission, as we are more useful here on Earth to spread the gospel, compared to in heaven.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟742,357.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

While you seek for God, he will be found by you.

2Ch 15:2 And he went out to meet Asa, and said to him: "Hear me, Asa, and all Judah and Benjamin. The LORD is with you while you are with Him. If you seek Him, He will be found by you; but if you forsake Him, He will forsake you.

He will not respond to a vocalized thought to kill you. He is faithful, and just. He does not deprive us of justice while we seek it.

Upvote 0