Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This thread is for all discussion about the Star Wars franchise, the original trilogy, the prequels, the sequels, anthology films, animated series, expanded universe lore, etc.

Discuss, debate, share predictions and theories! NO DERAILING, and keep the memes, GIFs and pictures to a minimum!

Star Wars Timeline:

Original Trilogy:
Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope (1977)
Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Star Wars: Episode VI –Return of the Jedi (1983)

Prequel Trilogy:
Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace (1999)
Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones (2002)
Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith (2005)

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Animated Series (2008)

Disney-era, Sequel Trilogy + Anthology series:
Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens (2015)
Rogue One (2016)
Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi (2017)
Untitled Han Solo Anthology Film (2018)
Star Wars Episode IX (2019)

Last edited:

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Can I just say I thought Disney did a good job with Rogue One? Yeah, it started off a bit slow but the rest was not only a good story line but they stayed true to what Lucas had already laid down happened to the Spies. Even though I walked in knowing that most (if not all) of the spies were going to die Disney kept me hoping that at least a few of them would make it. They stayed true to the story line though and pulled it off beautifully. I only wish they will do the same with the rest of it.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Can I just say I thought Disney did a good job with Rogue One? Yeah, it started off a bit slow but the rest was not only a good story line but they stayed true to what Lucas had already laid down happened to the Spies. Even though I walked in knowing that most (if not all) of the spies were going to die Disney kept me hoping that at least a few of them would make it. They stayed true to the story line though and pulled it off beautifully. I only wish they will do the same with the rest of it.

I agree. It was visually spectacular too. The VFX in the prequels actually aren't holding up as well (if you go and rewatch The Phantom Menace, the CGI is really pretty terrible), which isn't the case for every movie that used CGI in 1999. I think the visuals in the sequel trilogy and anthology films will hold up much better.

K2-SO was such an excellent casting decision, Alan Tudyk is really underrated all around - but especially as a voice actor.

I also freakin' love Ben Mendelsohn, so casting him as Orson Krennic was a brilliant move on Gareth Edwards part.

Upvote 0

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I agree. It was visually spectacular too. The VFX in the prequels actually aren't holding up as well (if you go and rewatch The Phantom Menace, the CGI is really pretty terrible), which isn't the case for every movie that used CGI in 1999. I think the visuals in the sequel trilogy and anthology films will hold up much better.

K2-SO was such an excellent casting decision, Alan Tudyk is really underrated all around - but especially as a voice actor.

I also freakin' love Ben Mendelsohn, so casting him as Orson Krennic was a brilliant move on Gareth Edwards part.

IT WAS! The movie was visually very pretty and they did a brilliant job on casting. I wish I could say they did a brilliant job on Star Wars VII. I liked the cast for the most part but the whole Mary Sue bit was a bit much. I liked Ray's character until suddenly she could do all these amazing things.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is everyone's thoughts on midichlorians?

Eh. It definitely took most of the mysticism away from the force, but they were kind of interesting in their own right.

At least the sequels are doing a decent job of restoring the mystical side of the force.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm really hoping now that Star Wars is out of Lucas' hands that Disney will create a live action series for Star Wars on one of the network channels. Star Wars is such a cash cow that it's only a matter of time until this happens. Whether or not it will remain the same quality as it has been is still up in the air. Somehow I doubt it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am wondering this too. Are they going to have to rely on CGI to get her parts done like they did in Rogue One or are they going to have to make some changes to the franchise?
I'm sure Disney has their options. I would imagine they have huge insurance policies on each of the main actors in case something like this happens. I don't see anything wrong with hiring another actor that looks like Fisher. But it will interesting to see.

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

I really enjoyed Rogue One. I was actually surprised that it was so good because the Force Awakens was such a disappointment.

Does anyone know what Disney plans to do with the remaining storylines involving Leia now that Carrie Fisher is dead?
I assume CGI like they used a bit in Rogue One for several characters.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I liked the first 3 films. The prequels not so much, and the Disney reboot has been pretty terrible. One thing about the prequels over the new films, at least Lucas tried to do something new and original with them (yeah I'm already judging the future movies..lol). Not just rehash A New Hope. This time starring feminist approved chick and token black guy sidekick.

Haven't seen Rogue One yet. Not sure if I can stomach it.

Reactions: kittysbecute
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here's an interesting read for die-hard Star Wars fans in what one observer has studied regarding the SW films. So far he's predicted correctly on how they've been made so far. It's a long read, but you get his premise after a while. Someone at church passed this along to me. So I thought I would share again.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Does anyone know what Disney plans to do with the remaining storylines involving Leia now that Carrie Fisher is dead?

Her scenes were already shot for TLJ when she passed. Kathleen Kennedy said Fisher will not be in Episode IX. How that's explained remains to be seen, but perhaps that's an indicator about Leia's story in TLJ.

Haven't seen Rogue One yet. Not sure if I can stomach it.

Completely different director, the tone is much truer to the original trilogy and it's not a rehash of ANH.

I'm really hoping now that Star Wars is out of Lucas' hands that Disney will create a live action series for Star Wars on one of the network channels. Star Wars is such a cash cow that it's only a matter of time until this happens. Whether or not it will remain the same quality as it has been is still up in the air. Somehow I doubt it.

If they do this, I really hope they partner with Netflix so that the series can be unrated, really dark, and really violent. Like if Star Wars and 300 had a baby.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,543.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Her scenes were already shot for TLJ when she passed. Kathleen Kennedy said Fisher will not be in Episode IX. How that's explained remains to be seen, but perhaps that's an indicator about Leia's story in TLJ.

Not having Leia in Episode IX might require some substantial rewrites, but I do think it's better to do that than to have her as a CGI character. Although I'd be OK with it if they decided to kill her off and used CGI just to show that.

If they do this, I really hope they partner with Netflix so that the series can be unrated, really dark, and really violent. Like if Star Wars and 300 had a baby.

I doubt they'll ever do that given that children make up a large part of the fanbase. No matter how many restrictions or warnings they put on a show, people are going to let their children watch it, and then complain that it wasn't suitable. So I don't know if they'd want to open that can of worms.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I doubt they'll ever do that given that children make up a large part of the fanbase. No matter how many restrictions or warnings they put on a show, people are going to let their children watch it, and then complain that it wasn't suitable. So I don't know if they'd want to open that can of worms.

Well, it's their call. But that's why I've never been interested in watching The Clone Wars is cause it felt too childish.

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,543.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Thoughts on the watching order of the movies?

If you watch them in order of release date, then Revenge of the Sith being the sixth movie did mean that prior to The Force Awakens coming out the storyline ended on a downer, and with Episode VII it becomes a bit disjointed, going back in time from Return of the Jedi to The Phantom Menace and then jumping forward to The Force Awakens. But watching them by internal chronology means that the twist over Darth Vader's real identity gets spoiled. Granted, that's one of those things that even people who haven't watch the movies may no, but from a storytelling point of view it's not ideal.

So the order I like (for the original six movies) is the following:
  1. A New Hope
  2. The Empire Strikes Back
  3. The Phantom Menace
  4. Attack of the Clones
  5. Revenge of the Sith
  6. Return of the Jedi
That way, you learn who Darth Vader is and then have a lengthy flashback explaining how he got that way, which I think creates a decent narrative.

There is also the Machete Order, which removes The Phantom Menace completely, the argument being that nothing of any lasting consequence happens in that movie, and of course it has Jar Jar. Although you might still want to watch The Phantom Menace because of the theory that Jar Jar is actually a Sith.

As for the new movies, I think they would best fit in as follows:
  1. A New Hope
  2. The Empire Strikes Back
  3. The Phantom Menace
  4. Attack of the Clones
  5. Revenge of the Sith
  6. Han Solo movie
  7. Rogue One
  8. Return of the Jedi
  9. The Force Awakens
  10. The Last Jedi
  11. Episode IX
Even though Rogue One is set before A New Hope, I think ideally it should be watched after it, as A New Hope is a probably better introduction to the Star Wars universe with Rogue One to some extent playing the role of filling in the gaps and I suppose may also make it a bit too obvious as to how they're going to destroy the Death Star. So I would put it as the last of the flashback sequence, meaning that the Han Solo movie would need to come before it.

Upvote 0