Official Debate area for RC (OBOB) and EO (TAW) Only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Only members of the Eastern Orthodox or Roman Catholic faiths may post in this thread. This thread is created as a part of the GT boycott with the idea that as these two congregations return again to the GT area that they agree not to debate each other in that area but to present a united front there.

However, some issues might need further 'discussion' between these two faiths and congregations and members, etc. Therefore this thread is created for that discussion. There can be more than one thread, if someone wishes to start another, simply start it and put "RC and EO Only" or "OBOB and TAW Only" in the title.

A link to the thread can be made in TAW if you pm me. (For OBOB you would have to ask a mod there to see if they would be willing to make a link.)

Remember to follow the rules! Don't personalize your posts, don't flame and if you say something negative about a doctrine, you must have a citation.

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Servus Iesu said:
Rather than the typical filioque or papal primacy debate, I propose a deeper and more intellectually rivoting topic. Remember to back your opinion with quotes from the fathers. With that said, here goes:

How many angels can stand on the head of a pin?

hmmm

This is very interesting, but I need more information: What kind of a pin is it? Do you have a brand name?

Which of the differnet kind of angels are going to be doing this "standing" and next comes the issue of whether they can actually "stand"....

What constitutes "standing", must there be feet touching the pin? Can the angels stand one on top of the other and have this count? or must some part of them actually be touching said pin?

These matters are of the uptmost importance as we may have differnet traditions about pins and standing on pins....

though Eastern Orthodox are very very good at standing... we stand a lot..... some of us stand for all of our Divine Liturgy and other services and prayers....

In my parish we have one toilet... so sometimes we "stand on pins and needles" while waiting in line for the the toilet... but ... are we "angelic" while doing so?

Reactions: Wiffey
Upvote 0

Servus Iesu

Jun 15, 2005
✟20,312.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
thornygrace said:
hmmm

This is very interesting, but I need more information: What kind of a pin is it? Do you have a brand name?

Which of the differnet kind of angels are going to be doing this "standing" and next comes the issue of whether they can actually "stand"....

What constitutes "standing", must there be feet touching the pin? Can the angels stand one on top of the other and have this count? or must some part of them actually be touching said pin?

These matters are of the uptmost importance as we may have differnet traditions about pins and standing on pins....

though Eastern Orthodox are very very good at standing... we stand a lot..... some of us stand for all of our Divine Liturgy and other services and prayers....

In my parish we have one toilet... so sometimes we "stand on pins and needles" while waiting in line for the the toilet... but ... are we "angelic" while doing so?

:D ;) You've gotten into the spirit of things quickly. Before addressing question A I think proper deliberation will have to be given to each of the considerations you've raised.

Here is a legitimate pop question. Can you name the nine choirs of angels?

Upvote 0

Servus Iesu

Jun 15, 2005
✟20,312.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
By the way, I do think this is a good idea, though personally I enjoy obscure intellectual ruminations about angelology, anthropology, and philosophy (east v. west worldview). It is also good to put up a 'united front' so to speak in GT, if you so chose to participate in that place. To a certain degree I am happy when a Protestant converts to the EO (though obviously I'd prefer they be Roman Catholic, and better still traditional Roman Catholic), because with the spiritual weapons of confession, penance, and the eucharist I believe that people stand an infinitely better chance of surviving Judgement Day.

We should probably have a Catholic and an Orthodox moderator for these friendly discussions. Then supposing the conversation becomes heated, as far-out as such a possibility may seem now, the mods could close it down for a cooling off period.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adammi

A Nicene Christian not in CF's Xians Only Club
Sep 9, 2004
✟26,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Servus Iesu said:
Rather than the typical filioque or papal primacy debate, I propose a deeper and more intellectually rivoting topic. Remember to back your opinion with quotes from the fathers. With that said, here goes:

How many angels can stand on the head of a pin?
Only one (if it's a really big angel) LOL.

Upvote 0

redMountian

They'll know we are Christian by our love.
Jan 17, 2006
E-town
✟1,775.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Standing on a pin sounds painful (even for an angel),especially if it was a thick pin with a small base. Then, it'd be extra painful and hard to remove. Wouldn't an angel(s) just pick it up and put it in a safe place? The next question then is, how would they pick it up, where would they put it, and how many angels are needed?

Upvote 0

Rdr Iakovos

Nov 4, 2004
Funkytown
✟8,010.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Hi:
Actually, St Ephraim spoke on this matter, in his commentary on Mark- specifically, the passage on man possessed by Legion.

He noted that 200o demons resided within that one man, and said, in essence, that the redeemed spirits of men, and those of angels, are of a finer 'stuff.' He suggested that in fact those in heaven could be considered to be everywhere at once, yet all together in a single point.

Since we know that time and space are intimately intertwined, it is fair to suggest that those who transcend time also transcend space.

But the best answer to the question has already been offered: the number of angels on the head of a pin would be exactly as many as were sent to do so.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.