Love & Peace
May 2, 2006
Knoxville, TN
✟12,273.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Hypothetically, totally and completely, were I to seek joining the Church again...

what about my tattoos?

I have 9 now. Only one is offensive. Well, two, sort of, I guess. One has a cross in the word "MONSTER" for the "T" and it's a Gaga tattoo. Guess it could kinda be offensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Annoula

Freedom
Jul 19, 2005
✟11,322.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
i would suggest you go to church with your tattoos. the Church of Christ is not offended by tattoos.
of course, people can be scandalized and for their sake you could try covering them up.

the greek former archibishop Christodoulos (memory eternal) used to say to young people: "come to the church as you are!"
at that time many young people came to church, wearing earrings, dressed not so much church-like etc. it is very nice to feel that the Church embraces all people!

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Maybe wear long sleeves to Church for a while until you talk to the priest, and consider covering it up? It's not terribly difficult to turn one tattoo into another thing, or have them removed. Harder than not getting them done in the first place, but once they're there you do need to deal with them.

Also, think hard about what you get tattooed from now on - think about what other people might think. It's not fair that people judge you based on what's on your body, but it's a fact of life.

Either way, come back to Church - tattoos or not :)

Upvote 0

Etsi

Nov 8, 2009
✟9,724.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Go to church and don't worry about others. If it makes you more comfortable, then cover with sleeves. Otherwise, if asked, you can simply say something about it being a part of a different part of your life at one time. We all carry in scars, tattoos, etc from our lives...some of us just don't have them tattoo'd on our arms...but rather on our minds and hearts. The Church is for ALL people.

Upvote 0

Damaris

May 15, 2015
✟8,728.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Hypothetically, totally and completely, were I to seek joining the Church again...

what about my tattoos?

I have 9 now. Only one is offensive. Well, two, sort of, I guess. One has a cross in the word "MONSTER" for the "T" and it's a Gaga tattoo. Guess it could kinda be offensive.

But I was specifically referring to the decent-sized tattoo on my forearm that says "FREE BTCH" but the whole word...

So. Ya. And it's on my forearm.

I once met a very nice monk who had much more offensive stuff tattooed all up and down his arms! Don't worry about it.

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

what about my tattoos?

But I was specifically referring to the decent-sized tattoo on my forearm that says "FREE BTCH" but the whole word...

So. Ya. And it's on my forearm.

Cover as much as practical - not because you are hiding it, but out of respect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

musicluvr83

Mar 6, 2010
✟8,320.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Go to church and don't worry about others. If it makes you more comfortable, then cover with sleeves. Otherwise, if asked, you can simply say something about it being a part of a different part of your life at one time. We all carry in scars, tattoos, etc from our lives...some of us just don't have them tattoo'd on our arms...but rather on our minds and hearts. The Church is for ALL people.

Very well said! :thumbsup: I second that!

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Your question has been answered, and I agree with the answers.

Now on to my next thought... Nine tattoos already? Wow, you have all kinds of disposable money, don't you, you lucky dog!? :D I have been wanting three more (mostly additions and cover-ups), but I can't afford to even have the work started.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yeah dude, I wouldn't worry about it. if you are afraid that your tattoos might offend, just cover them up. if the Church rejected all those who did something that might offend people, there wouldn't be anybody in Church. so I agree with what was said before, go as you are, let God take care of the rest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Breaking Babylon

Who is this King of glory?
Site Supporter
Jan 1, 2006
West Virginia
✟58,374.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Those who judge you for what's written on your skin will be judged for what's written on their hearts.

That said, I understand your concern. I have a tattoo on my neck that I didn't have before my hiatus, and considering my church is full of elderly parishioners, I believe it could possibly cause a problem or two. I will accept it with humility and be glad they only see it and not the scandals written on my heart.

Good to know you're still around.

Upvote 0

They rally 'round the family
Feb 23, 2008
✟12,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

what about my tattoos?

Where is the tattoo (wait...don't answer). Theoretically, if you dress modestly (which you should always do in Church) then nobody is going to see your tattoo.

And if it's somewhere less inconspicuous, you can get it removed. Or cover it up with make-up.

Even so, just go to Church anyway. Not going to Church because you have a Lady Gaga tattoo is more of an excuse than a reason. You really think there aren't any Lady Gaga fans out there in the Orthodox world?

Upvote 0

Nichole

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2007
✟23,232.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
JUSTIN!!! Come back to church!!! Forget about the tattoos!!! I have 2 and one is on my ankle and when I don't wear a long skirt that covers it up I try and wear dark nylons so it can't be seen much!!! I just tell myself it is more important for me to be in church then to worry about what others think of me and my tattoo! In the end, the thing anyone should be worrying about is their salvation!!!

Upvote 0