Of the following spiritual gifts, which ones are still available and which ones have ceased?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,747.00
Faith
Christian
How do you know that? Let's address this point first and then we can discuss the other points.

Related to this, here are the other two questions you have kept on dodging for months:
  1. Do you personally believe the miracle claims in the Bible are not hearsay?
  2. Do you personally believe the miracle claims in the Bible are substantiated?

Rather than avoiding the points I make regarding your own beliefs, lets keep to our original plan and get those out of the way first, then I will happily expand on the reasons why I believe the accounts recorded in the bible are true.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,747.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Rather than avoiding the points I make regarding your own beliefs, lets keep to our original plan and get those out of the way first, then I will happily expand on the reasons why I believe the accounts recorded in the bible are true.

Fair enough. Hopefully we will reach that point soon (?). I will answer your previous post during the day.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh, c'mon ... here we go again :doh: ... how do you know scripture is the highest standard of truth?

One could say it is by one’s experience alone initially by faith when we first accept Jesus as our Savior according to His Word (the Bible), but when we walk by faith in the ways of the Lord we get many confirmations that the path we are on is the correct one.

Initial Salvation:

I was raised in a liberal Christian home, and I even went through an atheist phase as a kid, but God had other plans for me. God used different Christian women to soften my heart to the truth. I first got saved back in 1992 by reading a comic tract called,

This Was Your Life.”

full

Chick.com: This Was Your Life

When I accepted Jesus as my Savior, it was like a light went on inside me, and I had a peace, joy, love that I had never known before. I felt like everyone needs to feel this way and so I was passionate in the beginning to desire to see people saved. I accepted the Bible as a part of the package deal. For it was by Scripture that I was saved.

I learned right away how other religions did not stack up next to the God of the Bible. No religious figure died for my sins except Jesus. No other religion has a holy book that does not compromise on morality, lack of evidence that it is divine in nature. There are religions which appear to add on another holy book to the Bible like the Muslims, and Mormons, etc. (Which only shows that the enemy wants to distort God’s Word). There are not a bunch of religions that are an offshoot to another great holy book that is even remotely comparable to the Bible. So the Bible is indeed God’s Word. The Bible itself claims it is the Word of God. It speaks with power and authority.

Continued Salvation:

As the years went by, I had many confirmations that the Bible has many evidences that back it up. The more I grew in my faith and trusted God’s Word completely (even when I did not understand certain words within the Bible, or had a hard time explaining supposed contradictions), I had received many verifications along the way in my walk with God that His Word was true. I later was able to discover satisfying answers to supposed contradictions earlier in my faith. But God’s Word is packed with truth that is undeniable. Here is a blogger articles I created on some really great evidences for how the Bible is true.

Love Branch: Evidences for the Word of God

So my faith was not a blind one or based solely on experience alone. My faith is logical and based on things I can confirm in the real world that is sound. For the more I continue in the faith, the more I discover it’s truthfulness and goodness for my life. For God is good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 we find the following gifts:
  • utterance of wisdom
  • utterance of knowledge
  • faith
  • gifts of healing
  • working of miracles
  • prophecy
  • the ability to distinguish between spirits
  • various kinds of tongues
  • interpretation of tongues
Then, in verses 27-31 of the same chapter we find another list of gifts:
  • apostles
  • prophets
  • teachers
  • miracles
  • gifts of healing
  • helping
  • administrating
  • various kinds of tongues
  • interpretation of tongues
Romans 12:3-8 also contains a list of spiritual gifts:
  • prophecy
  • service
  • teaching
  • exhortation
  • contribution / generosity
  • leadership
  • acts of mercy
Ephesians 4:11-12 lists the following:
  • apostles
  • prophets
  • evangelists
  • shepherds
  • teachers
Question: Which of the gifts listed above are still available to the body of Christ and which ones have ceased?

There are obviously some gifts that have continued, but I do not believe all of the gifts have continued.

If the Bible is your final Word of authority:

You can check out a good Biblical defense of Cessationism (i.e. Partial Cessationism of the Gifts) within this CF thread here:

Cessationism: Tongues, Prophecy, and the Gift of Miracles Have Ceased.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I see they are later additions to your post after I began replying to it. I will certainly look at those cases and get back to you with my comments.
It's great to see you up and running again on the forum. I had a long break from it until a couple of months ago when I got reinstated. I wondered what had happened to you when I didn't see any posts from you until now. Having said that, I don't have anything to contribute to this thread, so I'll let you guys argue it out further and I'll just sit back and watch the fun.

Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

Joan Lamb

May 5, 2019
Dundurn
✟12,096.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Question: Which of the gifts listed above are still available to the body of Christ and which ones have ceased?

Don't know. Not a Cessationist in the sense that I know through experience that manifold spiritual gifts are still present. But when John the Apostle died, there are no more biblical books after that. 66 books, Revelation being the last. Something ceased when John died. I shall leave it to the more learned to discern what. But I know that most Christians use the same bible, 66 books. Canon closed.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I made no comment about myself. I was referring to you and your own beliefs. Can we conclude then that you are not convinced that Christ rose from the dead, and that Christianity may be a scam, and you do not "believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, ... "?

As I already said, I prefer to use abductive reasoning and to think in terms of "what is more probable" given the current evidence we have. If I had to compare the hypotheses H1 = "Christianity is a scam" and H2 = "Christianity is true", my current personal impression would be that H2 seems to be more probable than H1.

How can it be a gotcha question when the answer was obvious? It was a rhetorical question mimicking mine (just as you said it was), implying that because today's courts wouldn't accept the biblical evidence for 1st century miracles, then neither would you. But that's ok, you've already stated you are not convinced that Christ rose from the dead along with the other miracles recorded in scripture, so it doesn't come as a surprise. It would also explain all the atheist questions you asked earlier.

It's quite clearly a gotcha question, otherwise you wouldn't be dodging it so persistently ... Look, it is very simple: you brought up courts of law in the first place as an example of how one should judge the evidence. Yet, paradoxically, courts of law would most probably reject the miracle claims in the Bible. So we have a problem: on the one hand you seem to want me to think like a court of law, yet on the other hand, when it comes to the Bible, you do not want me to think like a court of law. So how is it? Do you want me to think like a court of law or not? Are you suggesting that I should have a double standard?

What is a surprise though, is that although you are not convinced that the miracles recorded in scripture are true, you are nonetheless willing to accept that today's stories of miracles as being true on the basis of hearsay evidence alone!

Again, you seem to be using a black-or-white, all-or-nothing mode of thinking. I instead use abductive/probabilistic reasoning. I believe that you can make a probabilistic case for both modern and Biblical miracles. Both pieces of evidence complement and support each other. Modern miracle reports make Biblical miracle reports more likely and vice versa. I will quote once again the preface of Keener's book Miracles : 2 Volumes: The Credibility of the New Testament Accounts: https://www.amazon.com/Miracles-volumes-Credibility-Testament-Accounts-ebook/dp/B007KOI2PY, because I think it states this idea very well:

Most modern prejudice against biblical miracle reports depends on David Hume's argument that uniform human experience precluded miracles. Yet current research shows that human experience is far from uniform. In fact, hundreds of millions of people today claim to have experienced miracles. New Testament scholar Craig Keener argues that it is time to rethink Hume's argument in light of the contemporary evidence available to us. This wide-ranging and meticulously researched two-volume study presents the most thorough current defense of the credibility of the miracle reports in the Gospels and Acts. Drawing on claims from a range of global cultures and taking a multidisciplinary approach to the topic, Keener suggests that many miracle accounts throughout history and from contemporary times are best explained as genuine divine acts, lending credence to the biblical miracle reports.

Right. So you are saying that, despite their claims, these accounts of alien abductions did not actually happen in real life. There are no actual aliens flying around in UFO's performing experiments on people. They were all merely deluded in some way into thinking that happened.

I never claimed that actual alien abductions didn't happen.
I never claimed that actual alien abductions did happen either.
I never claimed either possibility to be true.

Once again, the way you speak seems to reveal a black-or-white mode of thinking. Instead, I prefer to remain open to both possibilities while simultaneously focusing on developing a sense of which of these two hypotheses is more likely to be true. It all boils down to doing your best to estimate the probability of each hypothesis on the basis of the evidence you currently have. The estimations of these probabilities might change as new evidence comes along. This is an ongoing learning process.

A question for you: are you open to continuously learn and change your mind, or do you believe that you already know it all?

So why do you not accept the same about the fantastical stories made today in charismatic circles? There is no difference. They are both hearsay accounts of incredible events that supposed occurred in real life. Although people may sometimes believe they really happened, people can be mistaken, people can exaggerate, people can lie. You cannot dismiss one fantastical hearsay account, and then accept a similar fantastical hearsay account only in a different context.

Of course there are attention seekers, liars, exaggerators, folks who are deluded, etc. That's why you have to judge the credibility of each witness on a case-by-case basis, and only pay more attention to those who seem to be more credible.

It is still hearsay. Any unsubstantiated oral account is hearsay. In order to believe it happened I have to take the word of a stranger on the internet. Only a gullible fool would do such a thing imo. If I contacted them to ask further questions all I would get is more hearsay.

Do you always request hard evidence from anyone who tells you anything?

If your mother pays you a visit and tells you that a dog from a random stranger defecated in her front yard last week, would you look at her in disbelief and demand live recordings of the dog actually defecating on the exact day your mother claimed the dog allegedly did so, plus indisputable evidence that the dog belonged to some random person unknown to your mother?

Where is the video of the miracle actually occurring before the camera, or the independently verified report in a scientific journal?

I already answered this, but some redundancy never hurts: link1, link2, link3.

The bible is not just some "manuscript telling a story". It is the infallible word of God, the ultimate source of truth, and far more reliable than any scientific evidence.
  • How do you know that?
  • Do you personally believe the miracle claims in the Bible are not hearsay?
  • Do you personally believe the miracle claims in the Bible are substantiated?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It depends how you would define 'available'. God Bless :)

By 'available' I mean that the Holy Spirit is still granting those gifts to the body of Christ (i.e. to at least some Christians).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By 'available' I mean that the Holy Spirit still granting those gifts to the body of Christ (i.e. to at least some Christians).
Right.
Some are trying to make an amputee out of the Body of Christ.

1 Corinthians 12:11-12 NIV
All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.
12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
By 'available' I mean that the Holy Spirit is still granting those gifts to the body of Christ (i.e. to at least some Christians).

Thank you.

ADJECTIVE
  1. able to be used or obtained; at someone's disposal.
So we would say the gifts are at God's disposal? In that sense they're not 'available' for us to take, they're 'available' for God to dispense? God Bless :)

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you.

ADJECTIVE
  1. able to be used or obtained; at someone's disposal.
So we would say the gifts are at God's disposal? In that sense they're not 'available' for us to take, they're 'available' for God to dispense? God Bless :)

I mean, the Holy Spirit definitely has to want to give you the gift in the first place, otherwise He wouldn't give you the gift if He didn't want to. And of course, you would need to want to receive the gift and be willing to operate in it. So it is a cooperation of wills. Your will cooperating with the Holy Spirit's will. So the question is: is there a spiritual gift that the Holy Spirit is not currently willing to grant to anyone? For each spiritual gift, can we find a Christian, today, who is genuinely operating in that gift?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I accepted Jesus as my Savior, it was like a light went on inside me, and I had a peace, joy, love that I had never known before. I felt like everyone needs to feel this way and so I was passionate in the beginning to desire to see people saved. I accepted the Bible as a part of the package deal. For it was by Scripture that I was saved.

What would you say to Christians who also claim to have had spiritual experiences, including supernatural experiences with the sign gifts? Are they deluded?

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What would you say to Christians who also claim to have had spiritual experiences, including supernatural experiences with the sign gifts? Are they deluded?

I will ask them about their understanding of what "signs" are, and whether they are confusing "signs" with "miracles".

All signs are miracles but not all miracles are signs.

• Friendly
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So the question is: is there a spiritual gift that the Holy Spirit is not currently willing to grant to anyone? For each spiritual gift, can we find a Christian, today, who is genuinely operating in that gift?

Thank you, that makes the question clearer than the term 'available' did. I will be interested to read the responses. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's be more concrete and specific. What would you say for example to people on this thread: Discussion - Gifts/Offices/Ministries of The Holy Spirit - TruthSeek3r ?

I would say, in my opinion, that many Christians in that thread don't have a full understanding of the doctrine of "signs".

Let me present the doctrine with scriptural backing.
  1. Signs are for the nation Israel. (Exodus 4, Psalms 74:9, Judges 6:13)
  2. The Messiah was promised to Israel and prophecy stated that he will perform many signs and wonders to prove his identity (Luke 7:20-23)
  3. When Jesus appeared, he performed all the necessary signs to testify to the nation Israel (John 20:30-31, Acts 2:22, Hebrews 2:4)
Here are some thinking questions for any interested readers to understand my points above

Did God tell Moses in Exodus 4, to tell the Jews to believe "in faith" that Moses is sent by God? In the last verse of Exodus 4, it was explicitly stated that the elders believed after the signs.

Did the Angel of the Lord rebuked Gideon, in Judges 6:17, when the latter asked for signs that it was indeed the Lord talking to him?

When John the Baptist's disciples came to Jesus in Luke 7 and ask him to verify his identity, why didn't Jesus rebuke them but immediately did all the signs required in Isaiah 35:4-6? Why didn't Jesus tell John's disciples to go back to John to tell him to believe in faith?

Asking for signs is about the same as asking for evidence. Israel, since she was born in the book of Exodus, was never expected to take by faith that God was with them.

With this, I hope the true meaning of 1 Corinthians 1:22 would be clearer to the reader. Paul did not mention that "for fun" but rather to teach the Body of Christ something fundamental about the nation of Israel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0