Of the following spiritual gifts, which ones are still available and which ones have ceased?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 we find the following gifts:
  • utterance of wisdom
  • utterance of knowledge
  • faith
  • gifts of healing
  • working of miracles
  • prophecy
  • the ability to distinguish between spirits
  • various kinds of tongues
  • interpretation of tongues
Then, in verses 27-31 of the same chapter we find another list of gifts:
  • apostles
  • prophets
  • teachers
  • miracles
  • gifts of healing
  • helping
  • administrating
Romans 12:3-8 also contains a list of spiritual gifts:
  • prophecy
  • service
  • teaching
  • exhortation
  • contribution / generosity
  • leadership
  • acts of mercy
Ephesians 4:11-12 lists the following:
  • apostles
  • prophets
  • evangelists
  • shepherds
  • teachers
Question: Which of the gifts listed above are still available to the body of Christ and which ones have ceased?

Last edited:
Reactions: Saint Steven

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
  • utterance of wisdom
  • utterance of knowledge
  • faith
  • gifts of healing
  • working of miracles
  • prophecy
  • apostles
  • prophets
  • teachers
  • miracles
  • gifts of healing
  • helping
  • administrating
  • prophecy
  • service
  • teaching
  • exhortation
  • leadership
  • acts of mercy
Question: Which of the gifts listed above are still available to the body of Christ and which ones have ceased?

All are still available and none have ceased. In the first faith is listed which is engrafted to every Christian, so the rest can not have ceased as it would be inconsistent. In the second teaching is listed which is done daily (and I mean teachers which are good and filled with knowledge of God not just the act), so the rest can not have ceased. In the third acts of mercy are listed and they most certainly have not ceased. It would be inconsistent for a few to remain off these lists but the rest be gone. In addition to that we know none of them have ceased from accounts of the lives of the Saints, even Saints in our era also.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • utterance of wisdom
  • utterance of knowledge
  • faith
  • gifts of healing
  • working of miracles
  • prophecy
  • apostles
  • prophets
  • teachers
  • miracles
  • gifts of healing
  • helping
  • administrating
  • prophecy
  • service
  • teaching
  • exhortation
  • leadership
  • acts of mercy
Apostles.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you mean apostles have ceased or apostles have continued? Either case: why?
I believe there are only the foundation Apostles chosen by God and given to Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Never ever has there been claim to this until the 20th century introduced by the NAR.

Upvote 0

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've experienced things but I am finished trying to share. It's not worthwhile.

Besides that, I'll confess, I'm a little selfish -- I want out of any and all obligation so I'm prone to let others decide so I can get away scot free.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • utterance of wisdom
  • utterance of knowledge
  • faith
  • gifts of healing
  • working of miracles
  • prophecy
  • apostles
  • prophets
  • teachers
  • miracles
  • gifts of healing
  • helping
  • administrating
  • prophecy
  • service
  • teaching
  • exhortation
  • leadership
  • acts of mercy

We can consider any gifts that are mentioned by other writers. Some of these items are one-off considerations that Bareans would shelve due to a lack of support from other writers.

It would take me a while to cross check each item.
"Faith" is a well documented gift. Some of these others are not.
I have experienced the observation or "faith" of miracles occurring myself.
And most or perhaps all of the miracle was God granting me the vision to observe Him working His will.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,647.00
Faith
Christian

The following have ceased:

Apostles (Paul said he was the last of the apostles 1 Cor 15:8)
Prophets (were only for the foundation of the church Eph 2:20)
Tongues (only ever described as miraculously speaking foreign human languages Acts 2:4-11)
Miracles (used to authenticate the early church Heb 2:3-4)
Healing (ditto)

NB. Having the gift of healing or miracles is not the same as praying for healing or a miracle.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Apostles (Paul said he was the last of the apostles 1 Cor 15:8)

See these links: link1, link2

Prophets (were only for the foundation of the church Eph 2:20)

1) Where does the word only appear in this chapter?
2) Where does it say that prophets would cease at the end of the first century?
3) 1 Corinthians 14:1 explicitly encourages the gift of prophecy: Pursue love, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy.

Tongues (only ever described as miraculously speaking foreign human languages Acts 2:4-11)

1) Sure, but how do you go from A = tongues are real languages to B = the gift of tongues have ceased? I don't see how one thing leads to the other.
2) Paul explicitly encourages the gift of tongues as well in 1 Cor 14:5: Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up. And 1 Cor 14:39 So, my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.
3) See this link

Miracles (used to authenticate the early church Heb 2:3-4)

1) Where does it say that miracles were only to authenticate the early church? Where does the word only appear in this passage?
2) Where does it say that miracles would cease at the end of the first century?

Healing (ditto)

Where does it say that the gift of healing would cease?

NB. Having the gift of healing or miracles is not the same as praying for healing or a miracle.

What is the basis for this distinction?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,647.00
Faith
Christian
See these links: link1, link2

I don't think the replies on StackExchange are a reliable source of commentary. A better source is reputable theologians and bible scholars. Even respected continuist theologians such as Wayne Grudem agrees the gift of apostleship has ceased.... Link

1) Where does the word only appear in this chapter?

Eph 2:20 says that apostles and prophets were the foundation stones of the church. When constructing a building, once a foundation is laid you don't lay another.

2) Where does it say that prophets would cease at the end of the first century?

1 Cor 13:8-10 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.

Commentators are divided on whether 'completeness' means the completion of the NT canon, or the return of Christ. I subscribe to the former.

3) 1 Corinthians 14:1 explicitly encourages the gift of prophecy: Pursue love, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy.

Paul was writing to 1st century Christians when the gift was active.

1) Sure, but how do you go from A = tongues are real languages to B = the gift of tongues have ceased? I don't see how one thing leads to the other.

Because biblical tongues (real human languages) have been absent from the church since the end of the apostolic age. The church fathers writing shortly after the apostolic age noted they had ceased. And, outside of a handful of dubious claimed instances (eg catholics claiming miracles for those they want to be saints), tongues have remained ceased ever since.

2) Paul explicitly encourages the gift of tongues as well in 1 Cor 14:5: Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up. And 1 Cor 14:39 So, my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.

Paul was writing to a 1st century church where the gift was still active.

3) See this link

Well, 99.99% of claimed tongues today are not human languages as the bible describes. The other 0.01% that are claimed to be human languages come with no documented proof - it is mere hearsay (hearsay is not admissible evidence in a court). Linguists have studied thousands of examples of tongues and not found one to be a genuine case of someone speaking a foreign language they had no previous knowledge of.

1) Where does it say that miracles were only to authenticate the early church? Where does the word only appear in this passage?

Can you show me anywhere in the NT where miracles were not used for authentication purposes?

John 20:30-31 Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Acts 14:3 So Paul and Barnabas spent considerable time there, speaking boldly for the Lord, who confirmed the message of his grace by enabling them to perform signs and wonders.

John 10:38 But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.”

John 4:48 “Unless you people see signs and wonders,” Jesus told him, “you will never believe.”

John 3:2 He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”

Mark 16:20 Then the disciples went out and preached everywhere, and the Lord worked with them and confirmed his word by the signs that accompanied it.

Acts 2:22 “Fellow Israelites, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know.

Matthew 11:2-5 When John, who was in prison, heard about the deeds of the Messiah, he sent his disciples 3 to ask him, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?” Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: 5 The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy[a] are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor.

Acts 8:6 When the crowds heard Philip and saw the signs he performed, they all paid close attention to what he said.

2) Where does it say that miracles would cease at the end of the first century?

Hebrews 2:4 was written in the first century. Note the past tense.

God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.

If they were continuing the writer would have used the present tense.

What is the basis for this distinction?

People with the gift of healing could perform their miracle with a simply a touch or a command (as the disciples did). They had that rare innate gift to heal people on their own. Whereas everyone else has to pray to God for healing (and God may well answer their prayer today).

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think the replies on StackExchange are a reliable source of commentary. A better source is reputable theologians and bible scholars. Even respected continuist theologians such as Wayne Grudem agrees the gift of apostleship has ceased.... Link

Citing individuals who are deemed to be authorities in their fields can be a good heuristic, but to claim that they are right just because they are "authorities" is a logical fallacy known as argument from authority. Arguments have to assessed by their own merits, regardless of who says them, because authorities can always make mistakes. I just read your link and was immediately able to spot a crucial fallacy in Wayne Grudem's argument. Essentially, he defined an apostle as someone who:
  • witnessed the resurrected Jesus
  • was called by Jesus to ministry
He then claimed (quote from your link):

It seems that no apostles were appointed after Paul, and certainly, since no one today can meet the qualification of having seen the risen Christ with his own eyes, there are no apostles today.

Even if we concede Wayne's definition of apostle, his argument falls apart because of his assumption that no apostles were appointed after Paul, and certainly, since no one today can meet the qualification of having seen the risen Christ with his own eyes. This assumption is utterly unjustified, he provides no proof or justification for this claim. In fact, if Jesus was able to give a Road to Damascus experience to Paul, what could prevent Jesus from granting similar Road to Damascus experiences to other people? Nothing, of course.

We can't put God in a box.

Eph 2:20 says that apostles and prophets were the foundation stones of the church. When constructing a building, once a foundation is laid you don't lay another.

Read Ephesians 2:20 clearly.

built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone,

Nothing here indicates the cessation of the offices of apostles and prophets. Quite the contrary, this verse indicates that their offices are extremely important for the church, because they give support to the church. Using the same logic, the office of Christ Jesus as cornerstone should've ceased as well, yet I don't think you would say Jesus Christ has stopped his ministry. Jesus Christ is still very much active today.

You argue that When constructing a building, once a foundation is laid you don't lay another, but that argument would only make sense if new prophets and apostles would contradict previous prophets and apostles. But that of course is false if they are all called by God. God would not contradict Himself. Subsequent prophets and apostles, if truly called by God, would only reinforce the work of previous prophets and apostles. They would not create a "new foundation". I don't see how your objection works here.

1 Cor 13:8-10 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.

Commentators are divided on whether 'completeness' means the completion of the NT canon, or the return of Christ. I subscribe to the former.

The passage very clearly supports the return of Chist. Read this, this, this and this.

Paul was writing to 1st century Christians when the gift was active.

Wrong. He spoke to all Christendom. Read this question and the accepted answer.

Because biblical tongues (real human languages) have been absent from the church since the end of the apostolic age. The church fathers writing shortly after the apostolic age noted they had ceased. And, outside of a handful of dubious claimed instances (eg catholics claiming miracles for those they want to be saints), tongues have remained ceased ever since.

The most likely reason why the spiritual gifts declined was that the church became lukewarm. Read this question Did any early Church Fathers record the event of the ceasing of spiritual gifts? and the answers.

Paul was writing to a 1st century church where the gift was still active.

Well, 99.99% of claimed tongues today are not human languages as the bible describes. The other 0.01% that are claimed to be human languages come with no documented proof - it is mere hearsay (hearsay is not admissible evidence in a court). Linguists have studied thousands of examples of tongues and not found one to be a genuine case of someone speaking a foreign language they had no previous knowledge of.

1) First of all, let's apply your own standards. Do you have any documented proof (not hearsay) that tongues were active in the first century? Because if you don't, then you shouldn't even believe that tongues were active in the first century.

2) Read this accepted answer here.

Can you show me anywhere in the NT where miracles were not used for authentication purposes?

John 20:30-31 Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Acts 14:3 So Paul and Barnabas spent considerable time there, speaking boldly for the Lord, who confirmed the message of his grace by enabling them to perform signs and wonders.

John 10:38 But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.”

John 4:48 “Unless you people see signs and wonders,” Jesus told him, “you will never believe.”

John 3:2 He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”

Mark 16:20 Then the disciples went out and preached everywhere, and the Lord worked with them and confirmed his word by the signs that accompanied it.

Acts 2:22 “Fellow Israelites, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know.

Matthew 11:2-5 When John, who was in prison, heard about the deeds of the Messiah, he sent his disciples 3 to ask him, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?” Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: 5 The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy[a] are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor.

Acts 8:6 When the crowds heard Philip and saw the signs he performed, they all paid close attention to what he said.

You misunderstood my point. Where does it say that miracles and healing were only for authenticating the early church? If miracles and healing were useful in the early church, then they are useful today as well. There is nothing in the text that says that they were useful only for the early church.

Hebrews 2:4 was written in the first century. Note the past tense.

God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.

If they were continuing the writer would have used the present tense.

It depends on the authorial intent. If the author is focusing on a past event, then it makes perfect sense that he uses past tense. The text nowhere says that wonders, miracles and gifts of the Holy Spirit have not happened again, or that they would never happen again.

Also, see this question: Does the use of past tense in Hebrews 2:4 indicate that signs, wonders, miracles and the gifts of the Holy Spirit had ceased?

People with the gift of healing could perform their miracle with a simply a touch or a command (as the disciples did). They had that rare innate gift to heal people on their own.

But they were led by the Holy Spirit, it's not that they could just randomly heal people at will. It was only led by the Spirit. Even Jesus couldn't heal people and perform miracles sometimes due to people's lack of faith. Matthew 13:18: And he did not do many mighty works there, because of their unbelief.

Whereas everyone else has to pray to God for healing (and God may well answer their prayer today).
Sure, but again, the answer depends on God's will.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • utterance of wisdom
  • utterance of knowledge
  • faith
  • gifts of healing
  • working of miracles
  • prophecy
  • apostles
  • prophets
  • teachers
  • miracles
  • gifts of healing
  • helping
  • administrating
  • prophecy
  • service
  • teaching
  • exhortation
  • leadership
  • acts of mercy

God gives his gifts of grace to whomever he wishes. God gave me his gifts of preaching (prophecy) and teaching while I was a pastor and then gave me in retirement his gift of creativity through writing. I don't crave any other gifts, though he gave me visions in my last two churches for their benefit. None of them have been for my benefit.

You left out the gifts or offices in the Ephesian church (chapter four). The spectacular gifts at Corinth but not at Rome or in Ephesus shows that different churches have different gifts.

Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You left out the gifts or offices in the Ephesian church (chapter four). The spectacular gifts at Corinth but not at Rome or in Ephesus shows that different churches have different gifts.

Right, the 5-fold ministry, I edited the OP to include those. Thanks for the reminder!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,647.00
Faith
Christian
Citing individuals who are deemed to be authorities in their fields can be a good heuristic, but to claim that they are right just because they are "authorities" is a logical fallacy known as argument from authority. Arguments have to assessed by their own merits, regardless of who says them, because authorities can always make mistakes. I just read your link and was immediately able to spot a crucial fallacy in Wayne Grudem's argument. Essentially, he defined an apostle as someone who:
  • witnessed the resurrected Jesus
  • was called by Jesus to ministry
He then claimed (quote from your link):

It seems that no apostles were appointed after Paul, and certainly, since no one today can meet the qualification of having seen the risen Christ with his own eyes, there are no apostles today.

Well, peer-reviewed authoritative sources are a darn sight more reliable than quoting the anonymous amateurs on StackExchange as your source! Full-time seminary professors who are thoroughly trained in hermeneutics are far more likely to have the correct interpretation of scriptures, especially when you consider their reputations and indeed their jobs depend on their published expositions being correct. Of course, one scholar does not make an interpretation correct (and I never said it was) and they frequently disagree. But when the OVERWHELMING CONSENSUS of commentators agree on a particular matter (such as the case of apostles ceasing) then you can more or less guarantee they are correct even without examining their expositions. I only quoted Wayne Grudem because he is a very prominent CONTINUIST theologian so can hardly be accused of theological bias. I can quote a dozen more who agree with him if you wish. I am not aware of a single reputable theologian who claims that we still have apostles today.

Even if we concede Wayne's definition of apostle, his argument falls apart because of his assumption that no apostles were appointed after Paul, and certainly, since no one today can meet the qualification of having seen the risen Christ with his own eyes. This assumption is utterly unjustified, he provides no proof or justification for this claim. In fact, if Jesus was able to give a Road to Damascus experience to Paul, what could prevent Jesus from granting similar Road to Damascus experiences to other people? Nothing, of course.

Try reading it again. Grudem gives the scriptural reasons that apostles must be eye-witnesses of the risen Lord Jesus (under a. Qualifications of an Apostle)

Read Ephesians 2:20 clearly.

built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone,
Nothing here indicates the cessation of the offices of apostles and prophets. Quite the contrary, this verse indicates that their offices are extremely important for the church, because they give support to the church. Using the same logic, the office of Christ Jesus as cornerstone should've ceased as well, yet I don't think you would say Jesus Christ has stopped his ministry. Jesus Christ is still very much active today.

You argue that When constructing a building, once a foundation is laid you don't lay another, but that argument would only make sense if new prophets and apostles would contradict previous prophets and apostles. But that of course is false if they are all called by God. God would not contradict Himself. Subsequent prophets and apostles, if truly called by God, would only reinforce the work of previous prophets and apostles. They would not create a "new foundation". I don't see how your objection works here.

The apostles and prophets as the foundation do indeed give support to the church. That doesn't mean they must be around today. The church was built on their historic foundation. Notice the past tense in Eph 2:20. The fact that Jesus Christ was also part of that same foundation is further proof of their cessation. There is only one foundation underpinning a building, only one Jesus Christ, and only one set of apostles and prophets. On their foundation the church was built.

The passage very clearly supports the return of Chist. Read this, this, this and this.

No it doesn't. There is no mention of Christ at all in 1 Cor 13. A far more plausible explanation of "completeness" is the completion of the NT canon. Rather than quoting the anonymous amateurs on StackExchange I will provide links to some peer-reviewed published expositions from far more reputable sources...

R. Bruce Compton (Professor of Biblical Languages and Exposition at Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary)

Myron J. Houghton, (Professor of Systematic Theology, Faith Baptist Theological Seminary, lowa)

Jack Cottrell, professor of theology at Cincinnati Christian University (1967-2015)

Andrew M. Woods (President of Chafer Theological Seminary)

Plus many more professors I could cite who support the canon view.

Not more StackExchange amateurs please.

The question of whom 1 Corinthians is addressed to can be answered by Paul himself in 1 Cor 1:1

"To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints together with all those who in every place call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ"

The letter addresses issues that were very specific to the Corinthian church. Eg, their divisions, taking each other to court, the immorality in their congregation, their abuse of the Lord's supper, and of course their problem with spiritual gifts etc. Other churches do not suffer those problems. There were also specific instructions for slaves etc. So clearly it wasn't addressed to churches today. That doesn't mean churches today cannot make an application from the lessons Paul taught the Corinthians.

The most likely reason why the spiritual gifts declined was that the church became lukewarkm. Read this question Did any early Church Fathers record the event of the ceasing of spiritual gifts? and the answers.

Whether tongues were withdrawn because of a lukewarm church or because God decided they were no longer necessary in light of a completed canon doesn't matter. The fact is they ceased, and they ceased under the control of God. Just as 1 Cor 13 says they would. The cessation of tongues is a historical fact. And I see nowhere in scripture that says once ceased, tongues would one day start up again.

1) First of all, let's apply your own standards. Do you have any documented proof (not hearsay) that tongues were active in the first century? Because if you don't, then you shouldn't even believe that tongues were active in the first century.

Yes I do. It is recorded in infallible scripture - the ultimate source of truth.

More StackExchange I see:

"According to the book "Welcome, Holy Spirit"......"

As I thought.... not scientific proof, but rather 'claims'. ie charismatic hearsay. Does this account appear in any academic journals as a genuine independently verified instance of Xenoglossy? I'm sure linguistic scholars would be most interested if it is.

You misunderstood my point. Where does it say that miracles and healing were only for authenticating the early church?

Well I have quoted numerous verses from scripture that state authentication as the reason for miracles. You have not provided one verse that says otherwise. Therefore I think it is safe to conclude that authentication is the only reason for miracles in the New Testament.

If miracles and healing were useful in the early church, then they are useful today as well. There is nothing in the text that says that they were useful only for the early church.

The church today has all the authentication by miracles it needs.....they are all recorded right there in scripture in the gospels and in Acts. No further authenticating miracles are necessary, least of all the dubious or fake miracles which are trumpeted today such as the leg-lengthening parlour trick which non-believers can see right through and conclude Christianity is a scam.

It depends on the authorial intent. If the author is focusing on a past event, then it makes perfect sense that he uses past tense. The text nowhere says that wonders, miracles and gifts of the Holy Spirit have not happened again, or that they would never happen again.

But it wasn't a past event. It is the on-going gospel message of Jesus Christ which was attested by miracles.

"how shall we escape if we ignore so great a salvation? This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him. 4 God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will."

People were still being saved when Hebrews was written and the years following. If the gospel was still being attested by miracles at that time, we would expect the writer to use the present tense "God also testifies to it by signs...". The fact he uses the past tense indicates that such authenticating miracles were not an on-going activity that accompanies the gospel message, even at that early time. And there is nothing to suggest they would begin to re-accompany it at a later date.

I've just noticed these questions on StackExchange are only made today. I presume it is you who is making these questions. It could also be you (or your friends) who are providing the answers and/or uprating them. Forgive me therefore for taking them with a huge pinch of salt.

I prefer commentaries on Hebrews from more reputable sources. For example...

Hebrews (New American Commentary) by David L Allen - professor at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary

First, the present participle cannot be made to carry the semantic weight of ongoing miracles up to the time of the writer, and certainly not up to the present time. Second, to suggest such actually misses the point of the passage. The confirming testimony of God via the miracles was given to those who heard the Lord, not to the author and his readers. If God was still giving the gifts of miracles referred to in v. 4 at the time of the author and his readers, the text does not say so. In fact, the text may reasonably be interpreted to mean just the opposite, or at the very least to imply just the opposite.' The use of sun ("with") in the compound participle that begins v. 4 indicates that God bore witness with someone "to us". He did not bear witness "with us" and "to us" at the same time. Those whom God bore witness with must be "those who heard the Lord". It was they who were performers of the gifts; the author and his readers were not performers but observers. Some of the readers of the epistle no doubt had contact with first-generation believers and thus had witnessed such miracles. The implication of this would be that the sign gifts lasted only so long as the eyewitnesses-meaning apostles and perhaps others who heard the Lord-lived. In the New Testament, the work of Christ and the apostles was "confirmed" by "signs and wonders" (see Acts 2:22:14:3; Rom 15:18-20; 2 Cor 12:12). Jesus is the "cornerstone" of the church, and the apostles and prophets are the "foundation' (Eph 2:20). Apostolic ministry and miraculous gifts are linked together, and the significance of the latter is tied to the foundational nature of the former with respect to the church.'"

In addition, the use of the past tense (aorist in Greek) "confirmed' implies that the miraculous gifts did not continue. Wallace made the point well:

If such gifts continued, the author missed a great opportunity to seal his argument against defection. He could have simply said: “How shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation, which was . . . confirmed to us by those who heard and is still confirmed among us while God bears witness with signs."

Wallace was careful not to overstate the case when he said that Heb 2:3-4 "involves some solid inferences that the sign gifts had for the most part ceased.' Koester likewise took a judicious approach to this question:

The author did not seek to replicate the earlier ecstatic experience, since the basis of faith was not the miracles, but the message that was confirmed by the miracles. It is not clear whether the author assumed that miracles were still being done in his own time or whether the time of miracles had ceased. The author emphasizes perseverance rather than hope for miracles.'

Thus, Heb 2:3-4 has some bearing on the debate about spiritual gifts today between cessationists and non-cessationists. If all the miraculous gifts of the Spirit were active at the time of the writing of this epistle, one would expect vv. 3-4 to be written differently. If all the miraculous gifts were active at the time of the writing of Hebrews because some of the eyewitnesses (apostles and others) were still alive, the text seems to imply that once the eyewitnesses died the miraculous gifts ceased.

But they were led by the Holy Spirit, it's not that they could just randomly heal people at will. It was only led by the Spirit.

Whether they were led by the Spirit or not is irrelevant. The fact is the disciples could heal with simply a command or a touch. No praying was necessary. If you have to pray for healing, it is a sure sign that you do not have the gift of healing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course, one scholar does not make an interpretation correct (and I never said it was) and they frequently disagree. But when the OVERWHELMING CONSENSUS of commentators agree on a particular matter (such as the case of apostles ceasing) then you can more or less guarantee they are correct even without examining their expositions.

1) How are you measuring consensus? Can you substantiate this claim? How do you know the "overwhelming consensus" of commentators believe that the gift of apostleship ceased? Can you share the statistics?

2) Even if a majority of scholars agrees on something, that still doesn't guarantee you that they are right. Most biblical scholars used to believe the Earth was the center of the universe, until Galileo Galilei and subsequent scientists proved them wrong. Most scientists used to believe in classical / Newtonian mechanics, until Quantum Mechanics came along and proved them wrong, etc. The takeaway: scholar consensus / majority vote is no guarantee of truth. You have to judge arguments on their own merits, regardless of who says them.

If many scholars agree on something, they must have very good arguments. Quote those arguments instead.

I only quoted Wayne Grudem because he is a very prominent CONTINUIST theologian so can hardly be accused of theological bias. I can quote a dozen more who agree with him if you wish. I am not aware of a single reputable theologian who claims that we still have apostles today.

I don't care if Wayne Grudem is continuist, cessationist or an atheist. I only care about the argument itself. I inspected the argument and it was fallacious.

Try reading it again. Grudem gives the scriptural reasons that apostles must be eye-witnesses of the risen Lord Jesus (under a. Qualifications of an Apostle)

Sure, I can concede that point of the definition if you want. I never questioned that point. As I said in my previous post, what is totally unjustified is the following claim by Wayne (quote):

It seems that no apostles were appointed after Paul, and certainly, since no one today can meet the qualification of having seen the risen Christ with his own eyes, there are no apostles today. [...]

Wayne is claiming that no one can see the risen Christ, which is completely false if you believe in an omnipotent God. Have you ever heard of Christophanies? Have you read/watched testimonies of Muslims who have had encounters with Jesus Christ? If Paul had a supernatural encounter with the post-ascension Jesus, if Stephen had a vision of the open heavens and saw Jesus Christ at the right hand of God, if Ananias was able to have an actual conversation with the Lord Jesus Christ (see Acts 9), what makes you think that Jesus Christ cannot show up supernaturally to people again? Are you really going to put God in a box like that?

The apostles and prophets as the foundation do indeed give support to the church. That doesn't mean they must be around today.
There is no reason to think that they shouldn't be around either, and lots of reason to think they are quite useful and necessary. All the scriptures attest to the value and usefulness of prophets and apostles. Furthermore, the church is very much in need of sold-out servants of God like apostles, prophets, evangelists, etc. Have you ever heard of revivals? How can you have a revival without a critical mass of servants of God who are full of the Spirit and on-fire for God?

The church was built on their historic foundation. Notice the past tense in Eph 2:20. The fact that Jesus Christ was also part of that same foundation is further proof of their cessation. There is only one foundation underpinning a building, only one Jesus Christ, and only one set of apostles and prophets. On their foundation the church was built.

This reasoning makes no sense. By the same token, United States in its current form is historically founded on the efforts of dozens of Presidents and politicians over more than 200 years of history. Does that mean that U.S. Presidents have ceased? Does that mean that Politicians have ceased?

By the same token, our current scientific progress is historically founded on the efforts of hundreds of years of research by thousands of scientists. Does that mean that scientists have ceased? Does that mean that scientific progress has ceased?

Jesus Christ has not ceased. The body of Christ has not ceased. He's very much active today, and He can call whomever He wants to be a prophet, an apostle, an evangelist, a pastor, etc.

Don't put God in a box!

No it doesn't. There is no mention of Christ at all in 1 Cor 13. A far more plausible explanation of "completeness" is the completion of the NT canon. Rather than quoting the anonymous amateurs on StackExchange I will provide links to some peer-reviewed published expositions from far more reputable sources...

R. Bruce Compton (Professor of Biblical Languages and Exposition at Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary)

Myron J. Houghton, (Professor of Systematic Theology, Faith Baptist Theological Seminary, lowa)

Jack Cottrell, professor of theology at Cincinnati Christian University (1967-2015)

Andrew M. Woods (President of Chafer Theological Seminary)

Plus many more professors I could cite who support the canon view.

I'm afraid this might quickly degrade into a citation war. And probably none of us has the time to read through hundreds of pages. Instead, let's be more efficient and straight to the point. You know arguments. I know arguments. Let's debate arguments instead. I'll briefly summarize the reasons why I think 1 Cor 13 makes more sense under a "Christ's return" interpretation, and then you can respond with rebuttals if you so wish.

Let's read verses 8-12:

8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known

When the perfect comes:
  • We will have perfect knowledge (no more partial knowledge).
  • We will see face to face (i.e. crystal clear, no more ambiguity, no more unclear, mysterious revelations).
  • We will achieve full maturity (no more childish ways).
All these descriptions make perfect sense with the state of the universe after the return of Christ. When Christ returns and establishes his kingdom in a New Heaven and a New Earth, those resurrected to eternal life will:
  • enjoy supernatural, glorified bodies (like the angels),
  • be free from the flesh and its sinful tendencies,
  • be able to literally see the Lord face to face,
  • have an entire eternity to learn all the mysteries of the kingdom of God.
In contrast, under the 'closed canon' interpretation, these descriptions make no sense:
  • Are we really seeing face to face now? Really? See this question: When shall we see “face to face”? 1 Corinthians 13:12
  • Do we really have access to the full knowledge and understanding of the mysteries of the kingdom of God now? Do we really have answers to all the questions? Even with the Bible at hand, there are lots of disagreements, ambiguities, controversies, conflicting interpretations, mysteries about God, the spirit realm and even the physical realm that we currently have no clue about. Hundreds of denominations, sub-denominations, debates, disagreements. Even with the Bible at hand, there is no clarity. How come we have "perfect knowledge" when very clearly everybody has a different interpretation of Scripture and even scholars don't agree with each other? The very fact that we are having this discussion is a testament to the fact that we don't have perfect knowledge right now.
  • Have we really achieved full maturity? Are we in glorified bodies now? Are we beyond the sinful tendencies of the fallen human nature? Are really going to call this "the perfect"? C'mon ...
Furthermore, the "Christ's return" interpretation fits perfectly with 1 Corinthians 1:7-8:

7 so that you are not lacking in any gift, as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ, 8 who will sustain you to the end, guiltless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.​

Paul explicitly encouraged the pursuit of spiritual gifts until .. what? Until the canon was complete? No! Until the day of our Lord Jesus Christ!!!

The question of whom 1 Corinthians is addressed to can be answered by Paul himself in 1 Cor 1:1

"To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints together with all those who in every place call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ"

The letter addresses issues that were very specific to the Corinthian church. Eg, [...] So clearly it wasn't addressed to churches today. That doesn't mean churches today cannot make an application from the lessons Paul taught the Corinthians.

Of course the immediate addressees of the letter were the Corinthians, but letter has a clear application to all Christendom at large. Read 1 Cor 1:2 again:

"To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints together with ALL THOSE WHO IN EVERY PLACE call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ"

Furthermore, 1 Cor 12 makes very clear that Paul is teaching principles that apply to the entire body of Christ, i.e. the totality of all believers, not just the Corinthians:

12 For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit. [1 Cor 12:12-13, ESV]

27 Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. 28 And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But earnestly desire the higher gifts. [1 Cor 12:27-31, ESV]

Paul is talking about the body of Christ, the entire church, not just the Corinthians.

Whether tongues were withdrawn because of a lukewarm church or because God decided they were no longer necessary in light of a completed canon doesn't matter. The fact is they ceased, and they ceased under the control of God. Just as 1 Cor 13 says they would. The cessation of tongues is a historical fact. And I see nowhere in scripture that says once ceased, tongues would one day start up again.

1) How do you know tongues ceased completely? Evidence of decline is not the same as evidence of complete cessation. To prove complete cessation, you would need to be able to travel in time and verify that no one, at any time, ever spoke in tongues since the canon was closed until today. You can't do that. At best you can speculate.

2) Temporal decline followed by a resurgence at a later time of some manifestation of the Spirit is not something that should surprise us. There have been other periods in history where there have been (for example) no prophecies such as:
  • 1 Sam 3:1 - And the boy Samuel ministered to the LORD before Eli. Now in those days the word of the LORD was rare and visions were scarce.
  • The inter-testamental period of about 400 years between Malachi and Matthew.
Thus, the gifts of the Spirit are neither continuous nor uniform but always according to the will and discretion of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor 12:11). A temporal decline is no proof of complete cessation.

Yes I do. It is recorded in infallible scripture - the ultimate source of truth.
[...]
As I thought.... not scientific proof, but rather 'claims'. ie charismatic hearsay. Does this account appear in any academic journals as a genuine independently verified instance of Xenoglossy? I'm sure linguistic scholars would be most interested if it is.

Applying your own standards: can you share a peer-reviewed scientific publication with independently verified evidence of Xenoglossy in the first century? Would you be so kind to provide scientific proof that the book of Acts chapter 2 took place? Can you even cite unbiased, secular historians affirming that Acts chapter 2 was a historical fact?

Well I have quoted numerous verses from scripture that state authentication as the reason for miracles. You have not provided one verse that says otherwise. Therefore I think it is safe to conclude that authentication is the only reason for miracles in the New Testament.
Sure, I can agree that that appears to be most common use case, but that doesn't mean they are no longer useful.

The church today has all the authentication by miracles it needs..... [...]

Are you sure about that ... ?
Also check out these testimonies:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oliverab

Sep 6, 2021
belfast
✟16,125.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
  • utterance of wisdom
  • utterance of knowledge
  • faith
  • gifts of healing
  • working of miracles
  • prophecy
  • apostles
  • prophets
  • teachers
  • miracles
  • gifts of healing
  • helping
  • administrating
  • prophecy
  • service
  • teaching
  • exhortation
  • leadership
  • acts of mercy
  • apostles
  • prophets
  • evangelists
  • shepherds
  • teachers
many of these are holy traits that can be developed through learning, wisdom ,knowledge , various kinds of tongues, interpretation of tongues then good deeds service to your community, contribution, leadership ,acts of mercy ,helping i don't think any of the things listed including those i have not listed are irrelevant

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • apostles
  • prophets
  • evangelists
  • shepherds
  • teachers
I think some of these, like your list above are considered offices, not gifts. If you think they are gifts, please explain, thanks.

I believe all the gifts are still available. I'm a Continuationist, not a Cessationist.

I also believe that the gifts possess us, not the other way around. If someone claims that Charismatics are possessed, I say, "Amen!" - lol

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
many of these are holy traits that can be developed through learning, wisdom ,knowledge , various kinds of tongues, interpretation of tongues then good deeds service to your community, contribution, leadership ,acts of mercy ,helping i don't think any of the things listed including those i have not listed are irrelevant
You say "developed through learning"? Please explain, thanks.
They are manifestations of the Holy Spirit, who distributes them as he wills.

1 Corinthians 12:11 NIV
All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

Upvote 0