Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I got up extra early this morning. From time to time, I like to visit other churches and see how they are getting on. I went to a local parish church in town to their Holy Communion service. It wasn't that far away from where I live, and the weather was bright and sunny.

I entered the church, thinking I was just on time, to find it completely empty. I went back outside to check the timings of the service on the board and it confirmed the service was running. So I went back indoors and met the curate in the lobby. The curate seemed rather baffled that I had come for the service, and I was starting to feel baffled that she was baffled, because I had turned up for the same reason she had. She explained to me that the others were having their breakfast in the church hall. Upon entering the hall, five pairs of eyes turned round and stared at me and the lady at the counter called out "Who's that!". I was asked if I wanted a coffee, but there would have not been enough time to drink one as the curate had already walked in and made an announcement that the service was starting.

I reached to turn off my mobile phone, because I heard someone say that they prefer phones to be switched off in a middle of a service. And then I heard the sound of a lady reprimanding me for not listening to what the curate was saying! I can't win can I?

So the service started in the Church hall. They went through the prayers and the readings, followed by a personal testimony from the curate, which was all fine and dandy, but what about the sermon? When she told us at the end that we were going to share the peace, it suddenly dawned on me - that was her sermon! The peace was very short - it seemed like a case of simply getting the handshakes done quickly so we could move into the main church for the distribution of communion.

When we got to the main church hall, we saw two others who were sitting there who were late for the service. The curate announced abruptly that we had already done the first part, so they'd just have to tag along and pick up where we had left. I was thinking: aren't we supposed to confess our sins, receive the Lord's forgiveness, affirm our faith and seek restitution and peace with one another before we take the sacraments? Maybe she knew something that I didn't!

While she was doing this, everyone who was there was nattering to each other in their seats, having a bit of social time.

After communion, the curate invited the congregation to choose a hymn at the end of the service. One gentleman stood up and picked a song which had the words "Glory to God" in the title, which I thought was an excellent suggestion for closing a service. But the curate told him it wasn't appropriate because we had already said the Gloria before communion. She then picked a hymn of her own choosing. But it was nice of her to ask! The singing was dreadful of course, everyone sang out of tune, in their own key and at their own speed. I just couldn't wait for the song to be over!

And then the service concluded. I was able to walk from my chair, through the church, through the lobby, porch, car park and out onto the street without a single congregant giving me a word of welcome, asking who I was or how I was feeling.

I won't be going back.
:heart: Awwwwww, i'm soooo sorry Anthony. Perhaps the only thing left to do is to pray for the church and all of the members there. I pray that God encourages you Himself in spite of your experience there in the church. (((hug)))

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
i love October...it is only now, towards the end of October that the leaves are putting on their vibrantly colorful best.

Delightful.

iu

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
i love October...it is only now, towards the end of October that the leaves are putting on their vibrantly colorful best.

Delightful.

iu
So beautiful...We are visiting our cabin tomorrow, the trees will be magnificent through the Welsh mountains...Can't wait to breathe the fresh mountain air.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
So beautiful...We are visiting our cabin tomorrow, the trees will be magnificent through the Welsh mountains...Can't wait to breathe the fresh mountain air.

That sounds lovely....like a retreat right from God. :)

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Tomorrow I'm off to Lichfield Cathedral for the midday Eucharist and then having plaice and chips in an old tudor cafe.
Have a great time, enjoy the fish and chips.
I pray for the Eucharist service, the old chorus comes to mind....
Jesus, name above all names,
Beautiful Saviour, glorious Lord,
Emmanuel, God is with us,
Blessed Redeemer, living Word

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Glory-be, recited the same in Pentecostal churches too. :)

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,745.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Glory-be, recited the same in Pentecostal churches too. :)

Yes, I remember that chorus really well. I haven't heard it for a while, but we used to sing it quite a lot!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,745.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
lichfield.jpg

Went to the service at Lichfield Cathedral this lunchtime. The theme in the address was about the totality of God's love, that we cannot do anything to make Him love us more, or do anything that would make Him love us less. "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 8:38-39).

It was a good time of fellowship. People who had never met each other before, of different ages, backgrounds, different walks of life, coming together in prayer and worship.

I had some time to look around the city with its narrow pedestrianised streets and visit a tudor cafe for lunch.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
View attachment 265889
Went to the service at Lichfield Cathedral this lunchtime.

That’s a stunning cathedral! Thank you for sharing the pictures.

I’m glad you had a great time of fellowship and worship. I trust your fish and chips were grand! :p

~Bella

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,745.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
That’s a stunning cathedral! Thank you for sharing the pictures.

I’m glad you had a great time of fellowship and worship. I trust your fish and chips were grand! :p

~Bella
The fish and chips were superb - they know how to do a great lunch!
The cathedral is like a best-kept secret. Lichfield is small and isn't as frequented by tourists as the larger cities. Most only glimpse the famous three spires as they are hurtling past on the main London to Glasgow line.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The fish and chips were superb - they know how to do a great lunch!

I’d expect nothing less from a discriminating palate! You have a knack for finding good eats. :D

The cathedral is like a best-kept secret. Lichfield is small and isn't as frequented by tourists as the larger cities. Most only glimpse the famous three spires as they are hurtling past on the main London to Glasgow line.

I like hidden gems. Cathedral visits are on my bucket list. I’d like to do a global tour of them all.

~Bella

Upvote 0