Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
October, falling leaves, cooler night's,
Interesting weather...in the UK
We have to deal with Halloween - death - even if we just laugh and joke about it. Then next month we celebrate the harvest and give thanks to God for all He has done with an attitude of gratitude.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Here in the UK, there is a distinct change in the weather, combined with shorter days.
It is possible to ignore Halloween, although shops are full of horrendous masks.
We have been known to have snow and ice at the end of October. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I don’t acknowledge Halloween. I put up seasonal decorations for the fall but they’re pointing towards the harvest.
I believe it is All Souls Eve...

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
This cat has the right idea

giphy.gif

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I got up extra early this morning. From time to time, I like to visit other churches and see how they are getting on. I went to a local parish church in town to their Holy Communion service. It wasn't that far away from where I live, and the weather was bright and sunny.

I entered the church, thinking I was just on time, to find it completely empty. I went back outside to check the timings of the service on the board and it confirmed the service was running. So I went back indoors and met the curate in the lobby. The curate seemed rather baffled that I had come for the service, and I was starting to feel baffled that she was baffled, because I had turned up for the same reason she had. She explained to me that the others were having their breakfast in the church hall. Upon entering the hall, five pairs of eyes turned round and stared at me and the lady at the counter called out "Who's that!". I was asked if I wanted a coffee, but there would have not been enough time to drink one as the curate had already walked in and made an announcement that the service was starting.

I reached to turn off my mobile phone, because I heard someone say that they prefer phones to be switched off in a middle of a service. And then I heard the sound of a lady reprimanding me for not listening to what the curate was saying! I can't win can I?

So the service started in the Church hall. They went through the prayers and the readings, followed by a personal testimony from the curate, which was all fine and dandy, but what about the sermon? When she told us at the end that we were going to share the peace, it suddenly dawned on me - that was her sermon! The peace was very short - it seemed like a case of simply getting the handshakes done quickly so we could move into the main church for the distribution of communion.

When we got to the main church hall, we saw two others who were sitting there who were late for the service. The curate announced abruptly that we had already done the first part, so they'd just have to tag along and pick up where we had left. I was thinking: aren't we supposed to confess our sins, receive the Lord's forgiveness, affirm our faith and seek restitution and peace with one another before we take the sacraments? Maybe she knew something that I didn't!

While she was doing this, everyone who was there was nattering to each other in their seats, having a bit of social time.

After communion, the curate invited the congregation to choose a hymn at the end of the service. One gentleman stood up and picked a song which had the words "Glory to God" in the title, which I thought was an excellent suggestion for closing a service. But the curate told him it wasn't appropriate because we had already said the Gloria before communion. She then picked a hymn of her own choosing. But it was nice of her to ask! The singing was dreadful of course, everyone sang out of tune, in their own key and at their own speed. I just couldn't wait for the song to be over!

And then the service concluded. I was able to walk from my chair, through the church, through the lobby, porch, car park and out onto the street without a single congregant giving me a word of welcome, asking who I was or how I was feeling.

I won't be going back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
We have to deal with Halloween - death - even if we just laugh and joke about it. Then next month we celebrate the harvest and give thanks to God for all He has done with an attitude of gratitude.

Halloween is not about death. Kids dress up in all kinds of costumes for a fun night out. Sure, there are a lot of ghosts, skeletons, and witches, but scaring people is not what little kids are trying to do. They want the candy. Most costomes are not scary.

Luckily where I live there are no kids. Tresspassing is forbidden here and most HOA owners are retired. It is nice to not be giving out candy on October 31.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And then the service concluded. I was able to walk from my chair, through the church, through the lobby, porch, car park and out onto the street without a single congregant giving me a word of welcome, asking who I was or how I was feeling.
When I was in Florida I visited different churches. I visited one church that almost no one said anything at all to me. I visited another church where almost everyone in the whole church talked to me and was very friendly inviting me back and inviting me to be a regular member of the church. Most churches are somewhere in between those extremes. The pastor makes the biggest difference sense everything seems to revolve around him. Even he can teach the people that they need to be more friendly. Many mainline churches have greeters that make it a point to stand at the door to welcome people to the church. I remember after a church service I saw a good friend of mine. I was sort of distracted and did not talk to him that day. Turns out that he died and that was my last chance to talk to him. Even I wondered if I had talk to him if I could not have encourage him so that he would have lived longer. Sometimes if we brush people off and don't talk to them we end up paying a price for that.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I did the nightshift last night, so spent the morning sleeping at home. Managed to muster some energy to go for a short walk along the canal up to Sainsburys to do some shopping.

IMG_20191008_155914.jpg

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I did the nightshift last night, so spent the morning sleeping at home. Managed to muster some energy to go for a short walk along the canal up to Sainsburys to do some shopping.

View attachment 264591
We have a canal that leads us to Aldi and Tesco...Lots of geece around Tescos, I wonder if it is anything to do with people feeding them? :)

Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
We have a canal that leads us to Aldi and Tesco...Lots of geece around Tescos, I wonder if it is anything to do with people feeding them? :)
We usually get a lot of geese but I'm not that keen on them. It's not just because they're aggressive, but they make a lot of mess! They look beautiful when they're out protecting their young.
I didn't see anything today apart from a bluetit that was jumping over each of the locks.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I know bird poop is not the best thing to step on if you walk where a goose has just been, but they like to dump their waste products on grass. Only people who walk on shore trails really have to watch their shoe dirt. The reason Ohioans call Canada geese a nuisance is not that the bids have been bad, but the habitat they need is shrinking and homo sapiens

Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0