Occupy Wall Street Matures

SOAD

Why do they always send the poor? (S.O.A.D.)
Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
All Recipients of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Campaign Contributions, 1989-2008

Dodd, Christopher J S CT D $165,400
Obama, Barack S IL D $126,349
Kerry, John S MA D $111,000

That was not all recepients, just 3 of them. Here are 3 more.

Bennett, Robert F S UT R $107,999
Bachus, Spencer H AL R $103,300
Blunt, Roy H MO R $96,950

Now that I have demonstrated that republicans also received campaign contributions from Freddy and Fannie, can you explain the relevence of your post?

Upvote 0

troodon

Be wise and be smart
Dec 16, 2002
University of Iowa
Visit site
✟17,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I fit the demographic of these protestors rather well: I'm 26, I have $50,000 in student loan debt, and I have a very low-paying job that makes no use out of my degrees (though my geology degrees are probably, in the long-term, more practical than those of your average protestor).

And yet I can't disagree with these individuals more. Their anger is misdirected and they're just looking for people to rescue them from of the holes they have chosen to dig for themselves (and I'm speaking as someone who is in the exact same hole). I don't need the government to help me, they don't need the government to help them. Our lives aren't going to be idyllic; we won't be able to skate through life having a job we love and never having to worry about bills. I can't believe there are adults in this country who actually think that should be the standard we should demand from the government.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

troodon

Be wise and be smart
Dec 16, 2002
University of Iowa
Visit site
✟17,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've seen it. Maybe it had some sort of context when you first posted it but I don't see what it has to do with well-educated 20 somethings who have never had real jobs and, thus, never had the opportunity to fund these pensions. This phenomenon could be fixed and it wouldn't have anything to do with the problems faced by these individuals.

Upvote 0

Umaro

Senior Veteran
Dec 22, 2006
✟13,505.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I've seen it. Maybe it had some sort of context when you first posted it but I don't see what it has to do with well-educated 20 somethings who have never had real jobs and, thus, never had the opportunity to fund these pensions. This phenomenon could be fixed and it wouldn't have anything to do with the problems faced by these individuals.

I posted the video in reference to Mach's post about what sorts of things many protesters feel those at the top should be accountable for, not particularly regarding the useless degree thing, which I don't really see as the main complaint.

Upvote 0

troodon

Be wise and be smart
Dec 16, 2002
University of Iowa
Visit site
✟17,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
not particularly regarding the useless degree thing, which I don't really see as the main complaint.
From what I've seen it appears to be (not just useless degrees, but meaningful degrees rendered useless by over-saturation), but maybe you're better acquainted with the movement than I am.

Upvote 0

DieHappy

and I am A W E S O M E !!
Jul 31, 2005
✟26,607.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I posted the video in reference to Mach's post about what sorts of things many protesters feel those at the top should be accountable for, not particularly regarding the useless degree thing, which I don't really see as the main complaint.
Sorry, but I asked what they did that was illegal.

Upvote 0

DieHappy

Jul 31, 2005
✟26,607.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Douglas Schoen: Polling the Occupy Wall Street Crowd - WSJ.com

"Our research shows clearly that the movement doesn't represent unemployed America and is not ideologically diverse. Rather, it comprises an unrepresentative segment of the electorate that believes in radical redistribution of wealth, civil disobedience and, in some instances, violence."

Wow, color me shocked.

Upvote 0

DieHappy

Jul 31, 2005
✟26,607.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thieves preying on Wall Street protesters - NYPOST.com

"“Stealing is our biggest problem at the moment,” said Nan Terrie, 18, a kitchen and legal-team volunteer from Fort Lauderdale.

“I’m not getting paid, but I’m not gonna stand for it. Why people got to come here and do stupid stuff? All it does is make people not wanna come here anymore,” Wyman fumed."

Why indeed. It's not like the entire protest is centered around taking what's not yours, is it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

"“Stealing is our biggest problem at the moment,” said Nan Terrie, 18, a kitchen and legal-team volunteer from Fort Lauderdale.

“I’m not getting paid, but I’m not gonna stand for it. Why people got to come here and do stupid stuff? All it does is make people not wanna come here anymore,” Wyman fumed."

Why indeed. It's not like the entire protest is centered around taking what's not yours, is it?
So now it is the pickpockets who are to blame for the economic mess Deregulation brought upon us? What next; "Dinosaurs cause wall street crash":confused:

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

"Our research shows clearly that the movement doesn't represent unemployed America and is not ideologically diverse. Rather, it comprises an unrepresentative segment of the electorate that believes in radical redistribution of wealth, civil disobedience and, in some instances, violence."

Wow, color me shocked.

I'm not shocked that police brutality started any violence.

Upvote 0

TemperateSeaIsland

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Aug 7, 2005
Wales, UK
✟21,785.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Wall street seems to be the place to go if you want someone elses money. Worked for the Bankers and speculators. Such a shame Bush and Obama were only to happy to give the public money to them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Wow, color me shocked.
Basically, I believe the demonstrators aare just looking for a handout. They're down on the streets with their Blackberry's, iPhones and laptops complaining that the government should be giving them more by taking from the rich. Here's an example

One proposed list of demands for the Occupy Wall Street movement includes "free college tuition" and "immediate across the board forgiveness" of student debt. While neither demand may be very realistic, the student debt problem is very real.

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Basically, I believe the demonstrators aare just looking for a handout. They're down on the streets with their Blackberry's, iPhones and laptops complaining that the government should be giving them more by taking from the rich. Here's an example
What you are saying is basically; "If they don't have bread then let them eat cake"! We all know what happened to her don't we!

What's the best way to sharpen guillotine blades?

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What you are saying is basically; "If they don't have bread then let them eat cake"! We all know what happened to her don't we!

Not sure how you made that misrepresentation. I would, however, say that if you can't pay the bills, don't incur the debt. That seems reasonable to me.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

No I think the point was that someone with a cell phone and data plan and an up to date laptop could have bread if they so chose.

Upvote 0