✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by AnnMercy2
This is my take on this subject... I fully believe in speaking in tongues. I don't have the gift myself, but I know several people who do including my mom. When she does speak in tongues in church, there is not always someone who interprets it outloud. If God sees fit to move on someone to speak in tongues, and there is noone who interrupts it outloud, then that tells me that someone there still can know what she is saying, God can interrupt the words into someones heart, silently. I don't do too much questioning when someone speaks in tongues, becasue there is usually somone there who knows exactly what she is saying and sometimes it just doesn't need interrupting. I have faith in God, that he knows exactly what he wants to say to someone, wether or not he wants someone there to intetpret it out loud or not is his decision. In my experience with this, when someone is speaking in tongues and there is no interpreter there, then usually if I look around and look closly enough to the people around, then there is someone or a couple someones sitting there with eyes closed, face toward heaven, tears streaming down face, and a look of peace on their face, then I know that God himself is interpreting his words to that person(s). And if someone is trying on their own, without God's spirit, to speak in tongues, my spirit usually knows this. It's up to God himself to decide if he wants an intrepreter there or not, it's not up to me to question that. The way I see it God gets his message out the way he wants it, and the others who don't understand what is being said, which I'm included in that group of nonunderstanding, then I figure that the message is not for me, but their is someone there for whom the message is for and I don't dare to second guess God. I wouldn't want to be the cause of someone not getting what message God wants them to have. To sum up my feelings on this I'll say this... It shouldn't matter if there is an interpreter there or not, God chooses whatever way he wants to convey his word, I for one am not questioning it :)

In Christ,
Anna

I hope everybody gets what I'm trying to say here, I'm not too good with putting things into words, maybe I need an interpreter ;) Just joking, sorry couldn't resist. But sersiously, I do have a hard time putting thoughts into words sometimes, hope everybody gets what I'm trying to say, if not I'll think on it and try to explain another way :)

Anna,

I think you said everything just fine.

It is unusual to find someone with the attitude that you have. . .  That just because you don't understand it means that it should'nt be happening.  :)

For the most part, according to scripture, there should be an interpretation given so that the intire body can be edified.  However, there is the occurance as you described.

I heard one time where there was a message given in tongues and no one interpreted but there was a new couple sitting in the service who had understood every word, because it was in their native language.  Of course, being new, and not understanding what it was they did not stand up and interpret. 

I'm sure there was someone most likely there to critisize the person who gave the tongue.  There are alway people standing in the wings criticizing those who are doing the work instead of just talking about it.

I have a friend who under anesthetic, witnessed in Hebrew to his jewish doctor the whole time he was being operated on.  Only the doctor understood.  And my friend does not speak Hebrew.

In our own private prayer time is the perfect time to utilize this gift.  It is for our edification.  The Spirit is speaking through us, making requests for areas of our life that we need building up in. 

I recommend it highly, and incourage one to use it frequently.  :D   

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
". In my experience with this, when someone is speaking in tongues and there is no interpreter there, then usually if I look around and look closly enough to the people around, then there is someone or a couple someones sitting there with eyes closed, face toward heaven, tears streaming down face, and a look of peace on their face, then I know that God himself is interpreting his words to that person(s). "

the only problem..that's not biblical :) thus it sounds like just pure emotionalism and not of God.

Upvote 0

Jesusong

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟2,328.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Alot of times you can tell if an utterance in tongues is someone praying fervently in the Spirit or actually delivering a message to the church. ( In my experiences anyway ) , when a message is given in tongues, an unusual hush falls over the church as we await the interpretation. Sometimes it doesn't come, usually because of fear of the person to whom the interpretation was given to. They're afraid that it might be the flesh speaking and not the "gift of interpretation," so they remain silent. In instances like this, the whole church misses out on a special blessing. When an interpretation is given "in the flesh," it is usually noticable. In situations like these the pastor will say something from the pulpit. somtimes it requires a "stepping out in faith" and letting God take the reins.

Upvote 0

AnnMercy2

Goofball
Aug 18, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
✟4,976.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Jesusong
Alot of times you can tell if an utterance in tongues is someone praying fervently in the Spirit or actually delivering a message to the church. ( In my experiences anyway ) , when a message is given in tongues, an unusual hush falls over the church as we await the interpretation. Sometimes it doesn't come, usually because of fear of the person to whom the interpretation was given to. They're afraid that it might be the flesh speaking and not the "gift of interpretation," so they remain silent. In instances like this, the whole church misses out on a special blessing. When an interpretation is given "in the flesh," it is usually noticable. In situations like these the pastor will say something from the pulpit. somtimes it requires a "stepping out in faith" and letting God take the reins.

TO LouisBooth: This is exactly what I was trying to describe in my post, I guess I didn't do a very good job of that one, sorry bout that :sorry: I just see it as if nobody steps out to intrepret the message that was given, then I think that God would do the interpretation silently to whomever the message was for if he chooses to do so.

Anna

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by AnnMercy2
TO LouisBooth: This is exactly what I was trying to describe in my post, I guess I didn't do a very good job of that one, sorry bout that :sorry: I just see it as if nobody steps out to intrepret the message that was given, then I think that God would do the interpretation silently to whomever the message was for if he chooses to do so.

Anna

Anna,

You did just fine in your description on the first post. 

I opperate fluidly in the gift of tongues and intrepretation and found nothing wrong with how you described it.  What you described was not unbiblical at all.

As I told you in my post there are always those standing on the sidelines trying to give instructions on things they have only information on and no hands on experience. 

Think about it . . .who would you want as a surgion?  The one who's only read the book or the one who's read the book and done the work?  One can read the book and get good and acurate information, but until applied does not know what they are talking about.

Be blessed sister and pay no attention to those who can only criticize what they don't understand.

:holy:

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Originally posted by LouisBooth
"But where I stop in with the mind I continue in the Spirit, with the speaking of tongues.
"

As long as its not in public (ie you're not alone) then that's fine biblically.

"There are two types of tongues, one if for your spirit and God the other is for edification of the church by way of translation.
"
That is not biblical. There is nothing in the bible that says there are 2 types of tongues or even anything implying it.

"Pray in tongues to yourself unless you think there is an interpreter."

Amen! This means the practice of a preacher saying, "lets all pray out loud in tongues now..." is a unbiblical practice. Great word there sun.

[One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself;]

[So then tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers]
Both from 1 cor 14:4+22

So which is it? Is it for the believer or the none believer?
If it is for both, wouldn't that mean there are two types of tongues?

What does "I shall pray with the spirit, and I shall pray with the mind also" mean?

Thats right, more questions.

Upvote 0

rapturefish

Kingdom Citizen, Spiritual Nomad
May 9, 2002
Sydney
✟17,650.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
That she couldn't give this distinction to you doesn't mean it's not in the bible.

The account of pentecost in Acts shows a kind of language that could be understood by the jews that were there - they could hear each of their languages from these unschooled men (the disciples).

However in 1 Corinthians Paul speaks of a kind of language that needs someone to interpret by the same Spirit so that the church may be edified. This kind of tongue (and when Paul speaks of spiritual gifts he mentions KindS of tongues) is something that a person's spirit prays but not his mind - in other words, he doesn't understand it but he knows it is communication with God.

So the very nature of THIS spiritual language is different from our conventional concept of a language in that:

- It is not understood by the speaker
- It is not understood by anyone else (as opposed to the case in Acts) unless someone else by the same Spirit is given an interpretation
- It could be an angelic language (1 Cor.13:1 suggests this even if you take it as hyperbole - in fact it would suggest two kinds of tongues, that of men and that of angels)
- if used as a private language it can edify oneself (see 1 Cor.14:2, 4) and there is no requirement to interpret in that context.
- in a church setting however the purpose is to build up the church with the gifts you have been given, so that is why Paul carefully outlines the use of tongues in church. The interpretation is needed for the sake of the church's encouragement and so that it becomes prophetic and convinces unbelievers that there is a God.(1 Cor.14:23-25)

That being said, there are people who are gifted in tongues and there are people who are divinely enabled to speak in tongues at certain times but that does not necessarily mean they have a gift as such.

There have been stories of people who have been emboldened by the Spirit to speak in a tongue unknown to themselves and those listening heard their own language and were saved. But afterwards the speaker could no longer speak that tongue.

There have also been stories of people who speak regularly in tongues (a gift) and this edifies them and refreshes their spirit and spiritual passion. Sometimes they don't know how to pray for someone but when they pray in tongues things happen because they let the Spirit pray through them.

So if you hear someone speak or pray in tongues, please don't belittle it as mere gibberish; just because the language is not understood doesn't mean it is fake.

Personally I believe that the biggest critics (speaking generally here) of tongues are those that do not speak them. Why such people will try and tell tongue-speakers the do's or do-not's of what they themselves do not have is something that bewilders me. Yet it happens because maybe there is this fear, ignorance or incomprehensibility of the phenomenon. Maybe certain preconceptions are at work here?

blessings,

Upvote 0

rapturefish

May 9, 2002
Sydney
✟17,650.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by Andrew
"Have you, or anyone, recorded yourself speaking in tongues and then taken the recording to a college or something to try to have the language identified? This seems like a very easy thing to do, and would do a great deal to convince me or other skeptics of the authenticity of tongues. Has this been documented with any reliability?"

That's the thing you see. I read a book (And they Speak with Other Tongues, John L. Sherrill) where such a research is done. The problem is that there are thousands of languages in the world and at most, a linguist can recognise about 10. So even if you bring a tape recording to him, he may not recognise the language.

Also, dont forget that the Bible does say "tongues of men (known languages) and angels (unknown)" as well as "... he speaketh mysteries to God...and NO MAN understnds him..."

I would highly recommend you read these books if you can esp the first:

¥ And they Speak with Other Tongues by John L. Sherrill
¥ The beauty of Spiritual Language by Jack W. Hayford

Both authors (i think) were sceptics who set out to prove that tongues were false.

Very good post Andrew! I second recommending those two books in that order!

I believe Sherrill mentions that there are about 6,xxx languages dead or alive and that while the linguists who listened to the recordings couldn't identify any of them they certainly could tell it was a language and the sense of what it was about (praise, etc.) and when put next to a case of actual babbling (someone just making sounds) they could pick them out immediately.

blessings,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Sometimes it doesn't come, usually because of fear of the person to whom the interpretation was given to. "

Sorry, doesn't happen, where the presence of God is there is no fear. For tongues to manifest itself there MUST be an interpreter, or its wrong to go with it.

"If it is for both, wouldn't that mean there are two types of tongues?"

LOL that's like saying teachers MUST teach only one person in a different way then another teacher. Tongues has a duel purpose like any other gift. when I teach and use my gift I find that I am edified and I learn, but I also teach others.

"What does "I shall pray with the spirit, and I shall pray with the mind also" mean?"

Exactly what it says. It doesnt mean there are 2 types of tongues.

Upvote 0

rapturefish

May 9, 2002
Sydney
✟17,650.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Dear LouisBooth,

It does happen - when someone is given the interpretation it is their free will whether they will share it and edify the church or choose to keep it in and so not edify the church. Think of other gifts, there surely are times when we choose to withhold a gift due to fear or lack of faith and in so doing we fail to build up the church.

I knew a friend who has a strong prompting to share a prophetic word but she didn't. Did it invalidate the gift? No. But the withholding of it meant the church was not encouraged. If someone fails to interpret then it doesn't invalidate the giver of the tongues message in the first place or of the gift itself; it embarasses the tongues speaker's step of faith and means no-one is edified. However, I'm sure if one person withholds an interpretation God will enable someone else who will give it.

When Paul says he will "pray with the Spirit and I shall pray with the mind" he is talking about praying with spiritual language (without the understanding) and praying with normal language (with the understanding). In a church context that means we should pray for an interpretation. In a private context though one is edified in themselves and does not necessarily need an interpretation.

I believe there are two kinds of tongues suggested - the jews at Pentecost needed no interpreter; the church in Corinth evidently needed one. In 1 Corinthians 13:1 Paul's hyperbole on tongues of men and of angels, though hyperbolic nevertheless speaks of ideal realities if you consider the other examples of hyperbole - perfect prophecy means you DO reveal all mysteries; perfect giving means you DO give all to the poor (this one may not even be hyperbole) and this fits well with the later part that we all prophesy in part and know in part - this would mean some of us are gifted to speak the tongues of men &/or of angels in part.

Paul also mentions different kindS of tongues (see my last post). If there were only one kind of tongue then why would there be no need for an interpreter in Acts but a need for one in Corinth, which Paul refers to as "uttering mysteries" that no-one understands? It is possible that one kind of tongue is understandable by others (tongues of men) while another kind is not (tongues of angels or a language now extinct).

blessings,

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
"Sometimes it doesn't come, usually because of fear of the person to whom the interpretation was given to. "

Sorry, doesn't happen, where the presence of God is there is no fear. For tongues to manifest itself there MUST be an interpreter, or its wrong to go with it.

"If it is for both, wouldn't that mean there are two types of tongues?"

LOL that's like saying teachers MUST teach only one person in a different way then another teacher. Tongues has a duel purpose like any other gift. when I teach and use my gift I find that I am edified and I learn, but I also teach others.

"What does "I shall pray with the spirit, and I shall pray with the mind also" mean?"

Exactly what it says. It doesnt mean there are 2 types of tongues.

How do tongues edify you? I can definitly see how it would edify someone else if it was a different language, because it would be God talking to THEM. But how would it edify you, if you don't have a clue as to what you are saying?
Why did Paul say "I wish you would all speak in tongues" ? and "I speak in tongues more than you all" ?

How do you pray with the Spirit? And how do you pray with the mind?
Give examples please.

What does this statement mean?
"one who speaks in a tongue DOES NOT SPEAK TO MEN, BUT TO GOD; FOR NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries."

[Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues;] Mark16:15-17

Upvote 0

Defender of the Faith 777

Apr 13, 2002
Visit site
✟2,076.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
I'm not sure if tongues has ceased. I do know that what happens in church where people babble is NOT speaking in tongues. According to Paul, there is one that needs to interpret. If there is no interpreter, THEY ARE TO KEEP SILENT.

And I have never seen an interpreter. On Channel 7 I used to see people scream and babble and slap each others foreheads running around, and at the end of the sermon, there were 17 people unconscious on the floor (exagerration). It's ridiculous how people interpret those verses.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Originally posted by Defender of the Faith 777
I'm not sure if tongues has ceased. I do know that what happens in church where people babble is NOT speaking in tongues. According to Paul, there is one that needs to interpret. If there is no interpreter, THEY ARE TO KEEP SILENT.

And I have never seen an interpreter. On Channel 7 I used to see people scream and babble and slap each others foreheads running around, and at the end of the sermon, there were 17 people unconscious on the floor (exagerration). It's ridiculous how people interpret those verses.

Thats why I said there are two tongues, not just one. Now answer my questions please and teach me your interpretations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SpiritPsalmist

Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
"Sorry, doesn't happen, where the presence of God is there is no fear. For tongues to manifest itself there MUST be an interpreter, or its wrong to go with it. 

Acts 2:42-44  And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.   And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.  And all that believed were together, and had all things common; 

Acts 5:10-12  Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.  And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.  And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one accord in Solomon's porch.

Are you saying the presence of God was not in these places?

Also, are you saying that everytime you feel fear, that means God is not with you?

When I first started learning how to move in the gift of tongues and intrepretation I experienced a lot of fear.  God was moving on me to step out but I was afraid of what other people would say.  Those people who do nothing but criticize what they themselves are not willing to step into.  Or even those who were accomplished in the gift and who might put me down because I did not get it perfectly right.  

Fortunately, my Pastor at that time was also gifted in those areas and I received incouragement to grow.  Even though at times, when someone gave a tongue, he could have intrepreted but the Lord told him that the other needed to learn to step out.  If he always did it then they would possibly never step out. 

As I've matured in the gifts I have found the same thing happing with me.  The Lord uses me most frequently in prophetic singing, however, although I use to be on the worship team I'm not right now.  

The worship team members tend to not step out in prophetic singing because they think "well, Barbara will do it".  It should never be that way. 

I frequently will have the word, but the Holy Spirit tells me it's not for me to give.  So I don't.  And frequently, because they are afraid to step out, it does'nt happen.  Whenever one does step out, I am praying for them as their doing it.  Afterwards, I incourage them.

We need to incourage each other in overcoming our fear of man and step out in the giftings God has given us.  And unless, we are operating more fluintly in that gift than anyone else, we have no business judging others who are stepping out.  Even if they make a mistake.

Look at the parable of the talents again:  The master did not judge the 2nd servant who did not do as well as the 1st.  However, he did judge the 3rd servant who did nothing.  Do you fall into the 3rd catagory Louis?  You do nothing for fear of making a mistake?  And would that fear be there because God's presence is not there?

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Think of other gifts, there surely are times when we choose to withhold a gift due to fear or lack of faith and in so doing we fail to build up the church."

Nope, like I said, where the spirit is there is no fear, if you don't believe me, look it up for yourself, its in the bible ;) If you have someone speaking in tongues you WILL have some interpreting, if you dont, you shouldn't speak in tongues. God doesn't allow one without the other.

"When Paul says he will "pray with the Spirit and I shall pray with the mind" he is talking about praying with spiritual language (without the understanding) and praying with normal language ("

Someone is reading into it too much. There is only one type of tongues, and you can't see anywhere in the bible that says otherwise.

"If there were only one kind of tongue then why would there be no need for an interpreter in Acts but a need for one in Corinth, which Paul refers to as "uttering mysteries" "

LOL, there were interpreters in Acts. The people heard the words in their own language and thus could have interperted to anyone who wanted to know what they said. Please stop making up your own ideas and be biblical please. There is only one type of tongue.

"How do tongues edify you? "

You edify yourself just like you do when you praise God.

"How do you pray with the Spirit? And how do you pray with the mind? "

Its in the bible, why don't you look there.

"What does this statement mean?"

It means you're talking to God, that is why an interpreter is needed or it is unfit to be done in public.

"Are you saying the presence of God was not in these places? "

2Ti 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

I think God answers your question quite well. There is no fear where God is.

"You do nothing for fear of making a mistake? "

No, I do not dilute the salt and thus I do not become "no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men." I do not dilute the word of God with my own thoughts as you do.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

"Are you saying the presence of God was not in these places? "

2Ti 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

I think God answers your question quite well. There is no fear where God is.

Acts 2:42-44 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles. And all that believed were together, and had all things common;

Acts 5:10-12 Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband. And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things. And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one accord in Solomon's porch.

You did not answer my questions Louis. So again I ask, are you saying the presense of God was not in either of these situations?

Let's say you're at church service and a couple go up front to give their offering and die while their standing there. You're saying that if God is really there that no-one in the service will feel any fear? Is that what you're saying?

If that's what you're saying Louis, then every time you feel fear, for any reason, then God is not there.

God has given us a Spirit of love, power and a sound mind. And these are given in order to overcome the spirit of fear.

Scripture does not say that one will never fear. It says we've got what we need to overcome that fear. So, if we are afraid, we can know that it is not from God, we can kick it's butt out and proceed to do what God has called us to do. And we can do it in power, love, and with a sound mind.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
1cor14:14 [For if I pray in a tongue, MY SPIRIT PRAYS, but my mind is unfruitful. What is the outcome then? I shall pray with the spiriti and I shall pray with the mind also;]

1cor14:28 [but if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in the church; AND LET HIM SPEAK TO HIMSELF AND TO GOD;]

Romans 8:26 [And in the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words;]

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Fear

Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. And we have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. By this, LOVE IS PERFECTED WITH US, that we may have confidence in the day of judgment;BECAUSE AS HE IS, SO ALSO ARE WE IN THIS WORLD. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment., and the one who fears is not perfected in love. We love, because He first loved us. ] 1John4:15-19

We should be trying for perfection in and through Christ, if we don't or haven't abtained it then there is going to some kind of fear.
The bible says fear is the begining of wisdom.
If you press on to get your mind renewed through Christ, then the more you grow in Him, and the less you fear, because little by little you learn that you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you.

This verse is so awesome and inspiring! Praise the Lord for what He has done for us ALREADY!!!! :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.