Extirpated Wildlife

Wanted: Room to Roam
Oct 3, 2002
Fort Worth
Visit site
✟17,091.00
Faith
Protestant
Could someone show me in the Bible where talking like a baby is what God wants you to do. Talking like a baby is not speaking in the spirit. Its babling. I'm not saying that you can't be talking to God in your mind by thinking the words your trying to babel, but this is some craze that people think is biblical.

This is one of those things where Catholics can demonstrate how foolish Protestanism can be.

And don't forget to sew your seed as you leave. maybe you can get two seeds back.

Little offensive. I know. But someone told me about their experience and it just set me off....again.

Greeter

The Space Invaders did not get by on me!
May 27, 2002
Pompano Beach, Fl
Visit site
✟29,474.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Libertarian
You may have heard a . . . "poor" reason for what is commonly called "Speaking in Tongues".

Act 2:4-12 4: And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit game them utterance

6: And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language.

1 Cor 12:10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.

From what I understand the ability to Speak in Tongues is usually a private affair between an individual and God.  It is a special language.  Other times someone will have the ability to speak a language they themselves don't understand and another with the ability to interpret it.

Chuck Smith, the founder of Calvary Chapel tells of a story where a lady had come to Costa Mesa Calvary for the first time and overheard a person speaking in tongues and another translating.  She joined on the spot as she recognized the language as being an older dialect of French, a language neither of the two speaking and translating knew themselves.

This is considered to be a gift of the Holy Spirit but some teach that you can learn it.  I am not too sure of this.  It often sounds like gibberish when people are trying to learn to do it.  A friend prayed for years for this gift and was given it not that long ago and treasures the ability.  Personally, I would rather have the gift to heal. :)

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not an authority on this gift by any means but I think one very important facet of speaking in tongues is often overlooked.  If a member of the church begins speaking in tongues it because the responsibility of the pastor to determine how this would be edifying to the body.  If there is no interpretor, then the person "speaking in tongues" should understand that the gift was meant for their own edification and to continue speaking in a way that no one understands is not edifying to the church body, and in fact, may cause some newcomers to be put off.  If that is the case the pastor should request that the gift be contained and that person enjoy the fruit of the gift privately.  If, however, the pastor asks if there is an interpretor and there is, well, then by all means, that is an edifying experience for the entire congregation and should be shared. :)

I think too often people get so caught up in the appearance of the gift that they tend to forget the purpose for the gift, that being edification, and so they use the gift incorrectly for the purpose of self promotion.

God bless

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Where is the Scriptural precedent for someone speaking in a tongue that no-one can understand? Where is the Scriptural precedent for the 'pairing' of speaker and interpreter in crowd where no-one speaks the language being spoken/interpreted?

Scripturally, the Gift of Tongues manifests when there are believers, or potential believers, present who do not understand one another's language. The Spirit descends on them and they are suddenly able to understand one another, or to help others who did not receive the Spirit to understand. Scripture says nothing about a church full of believers who only speak Hebrew suddenly having one of their number stand up and start speaking Ancient Tasmanian. What would be the purpose? As someone said, how is that edifying? Why would the Spirit compel a believer to speak a foreign tongue when the Gospel message could be delivered, more clearly and with purer motivation, in the speaker's native tongue which just happens to be the same tongue native to the other people in the room? I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings, but that is absolute nonsense. Now, if an American missionary were to travel to, say, Indonesia, and without learning the language was able to teach the Gospel and understand the natives in return...THAT would be the Gift of tongues.

Of course, alot of people who engage in this, are I believe, truly sincere in their conviction that the Spirit is compelling them. It is my belief, however, that it is their own religious fervor prompting them, in their intense desire to receive (their perception of) this Gift, and not the Spirit speaking through them. IMHO, naturally.

Upvote 0

Greeter

The Space Invaders did not get by on me!
May 27, 2002
Pompano Beach, Fl
Visit site
✟29,474.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Libertarian
Where is the Scriptural precedent for someone speaking in a tongue that no-one can understand? Where is the Scriptural precedent for the 'pairing' of speaker and interpreter in crowd where no-one speaks the language being spoken/interpreted?

Going back to the above:

1 Cor 12:10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.

"To another the interpretation of tongues" gives us the indication that there are times when the crowd isn't able to speak the language.

Scripturally, the Gift of Tongues manifests when there are believers, or potential believers, present who do not understand one another's language. The Spirit descends on them and they are suddenly able to understand one another, or to help others who did not receive the Spirit to understand.

That is one version of it but can't there be more?

1 Cor 14:2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God.  Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.

I don't know but this passage seems to refer to something else doesn't it?

1 Cor 14:13 For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says.

Hmm, even the person speaking may not understand it.

There are other points within Corinthians that shows how the ability to speak in Tongues is one of the lesser gifts of the Holy Spirit, or at least that there are things much greater then it.  It is still a gift though (though I would prefer the ability to prophecize :) )

Scripture says nothing about a church full of believers who only speak Hebrew suddenly having one of their number stand up and start speaking Ancient Tasmanian. What would be the purpose? As someone said, how is that edifying? Why would the Spirit compel a believer to speak a foreign tongue when the Gospel message could be delivered, more clearly and with purer motivation, in the speaker's native tongue which just happens to be the same tongue native to the other people in the room?

The chapter of 1 Corinthians 14 addresses that by showing that it is better to prophecize then to speak in tongues and unless an interpretor is present then there isn't much use for it.

I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings, but that is absolute nonsense.

Well by all means don't suger coat it, tell us how you really feel.

However, just to clear up what is acceptable behavior and what isn't, would I be allowed to go into the Catholic area and state that I felt something in the Catholic faith to be "absolute nonsense" or is that considered to be disrespectful? (No, not that I really want to :) )

It is my belief, however, that it is their own religious fervor prompting them, in their intense desire to receive (their perception of) this Gift, and not the Spirit speaking through them. IMHO, naturally.

In some instances, like with so many things, this could be the case but I also think there are many incidents of this gift being used properly.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
quote: "This is one of those things where Catholics can demonstrate how foolish Protestanism can be."

For your information the charismatic movt in the Catholic church has been around for some time. They speak in tongues too, as well as exercise the other gifts of the Spirit. I have been to Catholic masses many years ago where it was charismatic in nature (it was a 1 week retreat/revival thing) -- there was lifting up of hands, shaking of hands/wrists, singing in tongues, deliverance (this Indian girl kept screaming away and lying on the bench) etc.

anyway, this tongues debate is done to death. there was another thread recently.

hellow Greeter, nice to hear from you again :)

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Greeter
Going back to the above:

"To another the interpretation of tongues" gives us the indication that there are times when the crowd isn't able to speak the language.
It gives me the indication that a believer who goes among foreigners will be able to understand, or interpret, their speech. I take 'interpret' to mean 'comprehend', not 'relay'.

That is one version of it but can't there be more?

1 Cor 14:2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God.  Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.
If 'no-one understands', how can there be an 'interpreter'?

I don't know but this passage seems to refer to something else doesn't it?

1 Cor 14:13 For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says.

Hmm, even the person speaking may not understand it.
I don't understand that at all. What purpose does that serve? Who is edified by that? No-one?? There has to be another...um...interpretation. ;)

There are other points within Corinthians that shows how the ability to speak in Tongues is one of the lesser gifts of the Holy Spirit, or at least that there are things much greater then it.  It is still a gift though (though I would prefer the ability to prophecize :) )

1Cor 14:6Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? 7Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the flute or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? 8Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? 9So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. 10Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and he is a foreigner to me. 12So it is with you. Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church.

Sounds like a chastisment to those who may be trying to pass off some kind of gibberish as the Gift of tongues.

The chapter of 1 Corinthians 14 addresses that by showing that it is better to prophecize then to speak in tongues and unless an interpretor is present then there isn't much use for it.
There is no use for it, apparently, "unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction". There are no more revelations. Public revelation ended when the last Apostle died. Scratch that one. 'Knowledge' is kinda vague, but when did you ever hear something 'interpreted' that told you something you didn't already know? Prophecy would be easy to authenticate. Do you know of any that have been recorded and proven true as a result of the Gift of Tongues? 'Word of Instruction' is also kinda vague, I cannot think of any instruction we might need that is not already contained in the Deposit of Faith.

Well by all means don't suger coat it, tell us how you really feel.

However, just to clear up what is acceptable behavior and what isn't, would I be allowed to go into the Catholic area and state that I felt something in the Catholic faith to be "absolute nonsense" or is that considered to be disrespectful? (No, not that I really want to :) )
I am truly sorry. I really didn't mean to be offensive, I only meant that I cannot make sense of it. I am very skeptical regarding people who claim this Gift because I can find no acceptable Scriptural or Traditional precedent for it as it is practiced today. I, in no way, meant to disparage anyone else's belief. I only meant to communicate my own perplexity. I do ask your forgiveness.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
"I am truly sorry. I really didn't mean to be offensive, I only meant that I cannot make sense of it. I am very skeptical regarding people who claim this Gift because I can find no acceptable Scriptural or Traditional precedent for it as it is practiced today."

what abt finding out from the charismatic Catholics? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt it true that the Pope has already 'ok-ed' this move in the Catholic church? Or is there a division among the traditional catholics and charismatic catholics?

there are many websites on this such as:

http://www.angelfire.com/ky/dodone/Charismaticcath.html

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟275,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I had a charismatic girlfriend in the Air Force, who explained to me that "every Spirit-filled Christian should speak in tongues". She said she prayed in tongues every night, and when I said, "Isn't there supposed to be somebody there to translate what you're saying?", she told me that there was difference between actual speaking in tongues, which only some people do, and the "private prayer language" that all charismatic Christians have.

So then I asked her to show me in the Bible where this distinction was between "speaking in tongues" and the "private prayer language", and she couldn't. (Personally I think this is a "tradition of men". ;) )

She came from Missouri, and was a member of a church that was of the Kenneth Copeland-Jerry Savelle-Kenneth Hagin school.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
what abt finding out from the charismatic Catholics? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt it true that the Pope has already 'ok-ed' this move in the Catholic church? Or is there a division among the traditional catholics and charismatic catholics?

I believe Patriarch who posts in One Bread - One Body is a Charismatic Catholic. Maybe you could drop him a PM for some info on your question , Andrew.

God Bless,

Neal

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
quote: "So then I asked her to show me in the Bible where this distinction was between "speaking in tongues" and the "private prayer language", and she couldn't."

It's also called public tongues and private tongues.

4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

tongues edifies the speaker (strenghtens the spirit-man) or the church, if it is interpreted. tongues + interpretation = (is on the same level) prophesying

14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Paul obviously prayed in tongues a lot too. Do you think that after he did his quiet time and prayed in tongues he goes out into the public and interprets it for people? i dont think so.

Then he says that when we are in a church setting (public) it's better to speak in English so others can understnd. However, if you are to speak in tongues, there must be interpretation so other can understnd and benefit, otherwise keep silent and use English.

so there is certainly a public and private aspect to tongues.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Of course, alot of people who engage in this, are I believe, truly sincere in their conviction that the Spirit is compelling them. It is my belief, however, that it is their own religious fervor prompting them, in their intense desire to receive (their perception of) this Gift, and not the Spirit speaking through them. IMHO, naturally."

I totally agree Zoo mom.

"so there is certainly a public and private aspect to tongues"

Yup. There are

1. you can speak in a prayer lang. if no one is around.
2. If someone is around there should be an interpreter and that interpreter can't be you because you're speaking in a tounge.
3.They aren't all at once as to cause confusion.

Paul pretty much laid all these out in 1 cor.

"tongues + interpretation = (is on the same level) prophesying "

Actually there is a totally different gift or prophesying thus Paul's statements in chapter 14.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
"Could someone show me in the Bible where talking like a baby is what God wants you to do. Talking like a baby is not speaking in the spirit. Its babling."

There are thousands of languages in this world. Some even have click sounds and glottaral sounds. Perhaps were just too use to the common langs we hear, like English. Also, if indeed the Spirit is speaking, shld we 'linguists' then tell Him how he should speak, what sounds to use? Isnt he still a creative God?

The other thing is this, when a person speak in tongues, much of it is praise. Not a dialogue or lengthy conversation. That could explain tongues having a few sounds repeated over and over. Yet I've heard tongues that sound like a language, with all sorts of sounds. we shld not limit the Holy Spirit.

ntw: there are many testimonies in which the tongues of the tongue speaker was recognised by a native speaker of that language.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Speaking in Tongues.

1 corinthians 14 talks about it, but it is mostly to do with this verse.
[...,yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy] 14:1
also
[What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. If anyone speaks in a tongue, it should be by two or at the most three, and each in turn, and let one interpret; but if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent IN THE CHURCH; AND LET HIM SPEAK TO HIMSELF AND TO GOD.] `14:26-28

I speak in tongues because when I pray with the mind or my understanding, there is only so much I can think of, and my momentum goes away. But where I stop in with the mind I continue in the Spirit, with the speaking of tongues.

[One who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men, but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries.]14:2
[One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself;] 14:4
[Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, ] 14:5

[...if I COME TO YOU SPEAKING in tongues, what shall I profit you unless I speak to you either by revelation or of knowledge] 14:6

There are two types of tongues, one if for your spirit and God the other is for edification of the church by way of translation.

[For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. What is the outcome then? I shall pray with the spirit and I shall pray with the mind also; I shall sing with the spirit and I shall sing with the mind also.]14:15

[I thank God, I speak in tongues more than you all; however, in teh church I desire to speak five words with my mind, that I may instruct others also, rather than ten thousand words in a tongue.]14:18

Bottom line, edify the church. Pray in tongues to yourself unless you think there is an interpreter.
Tongues is great and alot of time I start with tongues, when something comes to mind to pray about, I switch over and then back to tongues when I am finished with the prayer of the mind.
This keeps your mind focused on the presence of God, and helps keep your thoughts from wondering on different things that are not of the Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"But where I stop in with the mind I continue in the Spirit, with the speaking of tongues.
"

As long as its not in public (ie you're not alone) then that's fine biblically.

"There are two types of tongues, one if for your spirit and God the other is for edification of the church by way of translation.
"
That is not biblical. There is nothing in the bible that says there are 2 types of tongues or even anything implying it.

"Pray in tongues to yourself unless you think there is an interpreter."

Amen! This means the practice of a preacher saying, "lets all pray out loud in tongues now..." is a unbiblical practice. Great word there sun.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by quizzler
Could someone show me in the Bible where talking like a baby is what God wants you to do. Talking like a baby is not speaking in the spirit. Its babling. I'm not saying that you can't be talking to God in your mind by thinking the words your trying to babel, but this is some craze that people think is biblical.

This is one of those things where Catholics can demonstrate how foolish Protestanism can be.

And don't forget to sew your seed as you leave. maybe you can get two seeds back.

Little offensive. I know. But someone told me about their experience and it just set me off....again.

Brother,

I think you are quite Biblically misinformed.

While it may seem to you that someone is babbeling like a baby that is not what's happening in the spirit. In 1 Cor 12 you will find where Paul describes speaking in tongues, and the point and use of it in our everyday lives and in our church services.

And if their hearts are wrong, God is quite capable of straightening them out. He does not need our help or our critiquing of the situation.

As far as the seed sowing goes that is also Biblical, it was taught by Jesus. Now there's a whole bunch of other stuff that goes before, mid, and after but the basic concept is Biblical non the less.

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The other thing is this, when a person speak in tongues, much of it is praise. Not a dialogue or lengthy conversation. That could explain tongues having a few sounds repeated over and over.

Is that consistent with Paul's instruction? Does praise qualify as "some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction".

Yet I've heard tongues that sound like a language, with all sorts of sounds. we shld not limit the Holy Spirit.
Paul also said, "10Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning." That would seem to indicate that the 'tongue' being spoken is an identifiable language. Have you, or anyone, recorded yourself speaking in tongues and then taken the recording to a college or something to try to have the language identified? This seems like a very easy thing to do, and would do a great deal to convince me or other skeptics of the authenticity of tongues. Has this been documented with any reliability?

Upvote 0

AnnMercy2

Goofball
Aug 18, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
✟4,976.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is my take on this subject... I fully believe in speaking in tongues. I don't have the gift myself, but I know several people who do including my mom. When she does speak in tongues in church, there is not always someone who interprets it outloud. If God sees fit to move on someone to speak in tongues, and there is noone who interrupts it outloud, then that tells me that someone there still can know what she is saying, God can interrupt the words into someones heart, silently. I don't do too much questioning when someone speaks in tongues, becasue there is usually somone there who knows exactly what she is saying and sometimes it just doesn't need interrupting. I have faith in God, that he knows exactly what he wants to say to someone, wether or not he wants someone there to intetpret it out loud or not is his decision. In my experience with this, when someone is speaking in tongues and there is no interpreter there, then usually if I look around and look closly enough to the people around, then there is someone or a couple someones sitting there with eyes closed, face toward heaven, tears streaming down face, and a look of peace on their face, then I know that God himself is interpreting his words to that person(s). And if someone is trying on their own, without God's spirit, to speak in tongues, my spirit usually knows this. It's up to God himself to decide if he wants an intrepreter there or not, it's not up to me to question that. The way I see it God gets his message out the way he wants it, and the others who don't understand what is being said, which I'm included in that group of nonunderstanding, then I figure that the message is not for me, but their is someone there for whom the message is for and I don't dare to second guess God. I wouldn't want to be the cause of someone not getting what message God wants them to have. To sum up my feelings on this I'll say this... It shouldn't matter if there is an interpreter there or not, God chooses whatever way he wants to convey his word, I for one am not questioning it :)

In Christ,
Anna

I hope everybody gets what I'm trying to say here, I'm not too good with putting things into words, maybe I need an interpreter ;) Just joking, sorry couldn't resist. But sersiously, I do have a hard time putting thoughts into words sometimes, hope everybody gets what I'm trying to say, if not I'll think on it and try to explain another way :)

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
"Have you, or anyone, recorded yourself speaking in tongues and then taken the recording to a college or something to try to have the language identified? This seems like a very easy thing to do, and would do a great deal to convince me or other skeptics of the authenticity of tongues. Has this been documented with any reliability?"

That's the thing you see. I read a book (And they Speak with Other Tongues, John L. Sherrill) where such a research is done. The problem is that there are thousands of languages in the world and at most, a linguist can recognise about 10. So even if you bring a tape recording to him, he may not recognise the language.

Also, dont forget that the Bible does say "tongues of men (known languages) and angels (unknown)" as well as "... he speaketh mysteries to God...and NO MAN understnds him..."

I would highly recommend you read these books if you can esp the first:

¥ And they Speak with Other Tongues by John L. Sherrill
¥ The beauty of Spiritual Language by Jack W. Hayford

Both authors (i think) were sceptics who set out to prove that tongues were false.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.