Obsessive thoughts

Leonardo164

Feb 12, 2012
✟15,123.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So i have obsessive thoughts about God and religion,that means that i think about God and the Holy Spirit in(let's just say) less than ideal circumstances.I dont want to think these thoughts but i cant help it, they are obsessive and wont leave me alone.I hate myself for it,but always pray for mercy after these thoughts.The question is ,will God forgive me or i just commited the unforgivable sin against the Holy Spirit??

vaelamin

Feb 3, 2012
✟15,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So i have obsessive thoughts about God and religion,that means that i think about God and the Holy Spirit in(let's just say) less than ideal circumstances.I dont want to think these thoughts but i cant help it, they are obsessive and wont leave me alone.I hate myself for it,but always pray for mercy after these thoughts.The question is ,will God forgive me or i just commited the unforgivable sin against the Holy Spirit??

What are these less then ideal circumstances that you seem to be thinking? Also Jesus seem to not care what you think but what you say.

Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.Matthew 15:11

In a world full of half truths,brain washing and subliminal imagery can anyone truly control there thoughts?

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
If a thought pops into your head, and you choose not to follow that train of thought, then it was not your conscious self that brought it on. It was more likely something else that was stored away, or a neuro-chemical trigger. What you choose to do next is your conscious response.

When we put information in, our brain builds connections to related thoughts, so it would be good to think of ways to break the two topics from being associated. That is, consciously lead your brain into a different direction, to set up a new pattern.

I find memories pop up when a smell connects two unrelated topics. Like when I listen to a radio interview while painting a room, the smell will later remind me of the interview.

That's a good reason for keeping everything pure... when priests used to enter the inner courts they had to do ritual cleansing and change their robes. There were no distractions. These days, a person can switch browser tabs from online scriptures to work mail to gorilla behavior research to windmill debates... so the brain could easily link together this and that.

There are medical conditions where people find this a predictable symptom, so in a case like that you would know it's not your fault. Just keep aiming toward staying in positive communications with your Heavenly Father.

Upvote 0
F

Fiona01

I'm no expert and so don't take my own word for it, but could you be experiencing OCD? I know from my own experience, and from reading the experiences of others on the OCD Support forum here, that sometimes being almost "impulsed" to keep thinking of the same unwanted thoughts again and again is a medical issue... and you can definitely seek help for that.

Pray on this issue, and trust that God knows your heart :) He'll know what you mean and feel, truly.

Upvote 0

Roseheart

Growing in Christ
Nov 18, 2011
✟26,882.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Upvote 0