Visit site
✟25,722.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He's been at the church for twenty years, but yet there's no proof that Obama's a racist. Nor is there any proof that Obama even agrees with Wright.

Since such a link can't be established, and since there are much more important issues to discuss in this race, it's irrelevant.
Ringo
Well, I don't think Obama's a racist. He said he didn't agree with Wright and had harsh words for Wright's statement,
but his actions don't reflect that. His speech on Wright raised as many questions as it answered.
What kind of link did you mean?

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, I don't think Obama's a racist. He said he didn't agree with Wright and had harsh words for Wright's statement,
but his actions don't reflect that. His speech on Wright raised as many questions as it answered.
What kind of link did you mean?
A link between Wright and racist statements from Obama.

I think his actions do establish that he's not a racist. He's denounced Wright and his views many times. He's never said anything racist during this election or, as far as anyone seems to know, any other time.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Scribbler

Ignoring all links to Huffington Post
Dec 9, 2004
right behind you.
Visit site
✟25,722.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A link between Wright and racist statements from Obama.

I think his actions do establish that he's not a racist. He's denounced Wright and his views many times. He's never said anything racist during this election or, as far as anyone seems to know, any other time.
Ringo
Well, Obama certainly knew of Wright's predilection for such statements while he was making them.

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
obama_donation.jpg

Upvote 0

JGL53

Senior Veteran
Dec 25, 2005
Mississippi
✟21,776.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Ah - a double caricature - in spades.

Haven't you got anything better to do than be paranoid about black racism?

At least the Rev. Wright doesn't go to the BTK murderer's church.

Oh, and BTW, regarding: "George Washington --having read about his accomplishments and the character of the man --the courage and tenacity tempered by his integrity and wisdom, I can only imagine that at 6'3" even though I could stand eye to eye I would still find myself looking up at him."

It seems that Washington was a "rationalist theist" rather than a devout Christian. If so, ya think he still made into heaven?

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ah - a double caricature - in spades.

Haven't you got anything better to do than be paranoid about black racism?

At least the Rev. Wright doesn't go to the BTK murderer's church.

Thank you for that lovely demonstration of ignorance.

Anyone with a fully functioning brain can see that when a Presidential candidate contributes thousands of dollars to hate-preaching churches it is cause for concern . . . unless they are racists themselves.

Don't you have anything to do besides be ignorant of reality?

Upvote 0

JGL53

Senior Veteran
Dec 25, 2005
Mississippi
✟21,776.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Anyone with a fully functioning brain can see that when a Presidential candidate contributes thousands of dollars to hate-preaching churches it is cause for concern . . . unless they are racists themselves.

Again, you seem particularly upset about the Rev. Wright. The amount of black racism that has existed in this country from the beginning until now is out-stripped by several thousand orders of magnitude by the white racism that has existed in this country in its history. How particularly upset are you about that?

Instead of getting all fired up at the Rev. Wright's words why don't you stop and think what on earth could have happen to him, a black man, in his long life to make him lose it like that?

Good grief - just how into being white are you?

Upvote 0

Scribbler

Dec 9, 2004
right behind you.
Visit site
✟25,722.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
JGL53 said:
Instead of getting all fired up at the Rev. Wright's words why don't you stop and think what on earth could have happen to him, a black man, in his long life to make him lose it like that?
Certainly nothing compared to Dr. King. Where's his hate? His vitriol? His racism?

Oh, and BTW, regarding: "George Washington --having read about his accomplishments and the character of the man --the courage and tenacity tempered by his integrity and wisdom, I can only imagine that at 6'3" even though I could stand eye to eye I would still find myself looking up at him."

It seems that Washington was a "rationalist theist" rather than a devout Christian. If so, ya think he still made into heaven?

LOL. When you're reduced to attacking people signatures, it's a pretty good sign you may not have the chops to debate on the CF.

Reactions: NeTrips
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, Obama certainly knew of Wright's predilection for such statements while he was making them.
That doesn't mean he shares those views.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Too bad there's no proof he is a racist.
Ringo

Upvote 0

JGL53

Senior Veteran
Dec 25, 2005
Mississippi
✟21,776.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0

Scribbler

Dec 9, 2004
right behind you.
Visit site
✟25,722.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That doesn't mean he shares those views.
Ringo
Again, Ringo, I don't think Obama IS a racist. The question is, since he knew of Wright's views,
why didn't he distance himself before it became just a politically smart thing to do?Why not before?

Upvote 0

Scribbler

Dec 9, 2004
right behind you.
Visit site
✟25,722.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yep, too bad Republicans have no real proof that Obama is unfit to be POTUS - they continue with the "he knows a guy" smear. It's really pitiful.
'Knows a guy'? It's his Spiritual Mentor, JGL. Wright was a great influence on Obama. Isn't it a fair question to ask HOW MUCH of an influence?

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Again, Ringo, I don't think Obama IS a racist. The question is, since he knew of Wright's views,
why didn't he distance himself before it became just a politically smart thing to do?Why not before?
Well, because he didn't. I suppose Wright was a good friend of his, and despite his views, Obama wanted to stick close to a friend.

I don't know for sure. But I don't think that an association is enough to judge a Presidential candidate.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Scribbler

Dec 9, 2004
right behind you.
Visit site
✟25,722.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, because he didn't. I suppose Wright was a good friend of his, and despite his views, Obama wanted to stick close to a friend.

I don't know for sure. But I don't think that an association is enough to judge a Presidential candidate.
Ringo
Again, Ringo, it's more than he 'knows a guy' and more than 'an association'.
Obama placed himself under the spiritual guidance of a racist divisive pastor for the better part of two decades. Even when he admittedly knew of Wrights vitriol, he continued to work with him and appointed him to his Spritual guidance council. Trent Lott lost his job for one comment. Imus did too. Obama stood for Lotts steeping down and said he'd never hire anyone who made similar comments as Imus. Now we find out Wright said worse, and Obama did nothing. Isn't it a fair question to ask why Obama is applying a double standard?

Upvote 0

RealDealNeverstop

Is Prayer Your First or Last Action?
Sep 15, 2007
✟36,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, it is cherry picking to pluck one piece from Cone, assume an understanding of that piece (which has been demonstrated to be a very bad understanding) and ignore everything else he said and how the National Committee of Black Church Men defined black liberation theology in 1969. Jesus preached a liberation theology and that is why every group in the world that is oppressed and Christian identifies so strongly with Jesus' message. Cone did not claim God is only for black people, he pointed out racist whites are not representative of the Christ who died for us all. There are a couple of problems here. The first is wanting so badly to find anything to justify the false witnessing that anything mentioning race gets cited as proving blt is racist. Another is not understanding when cone and others wrote their works. Yet another is other than claiming it is 'racist' there is nothing to show it is actually racist. It boils down to 'look! He mentioned skin color! Racist! Racist! You know, at a time when blacks were regularly getting beat down by cops. If white Christians had fulfilled their duty then racism wouldn't have been nearly as bad as it had become. Let's see a response to the link in the black liberation thread cause iam done going in these circles.

Upvote 0

RealDealNeverstop

Is Prayer Your First or Last Action?
Sep 15, 2007
✟36,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The problem with attacking obama via wright is the presuppositon the claim wright is racist has been supported. TUCC has focused on fighting racism. I know, such a horrible thing for a Christian church to do. They actually have the audacity to fight discrimination when really they should be helping to stop gay marriages. I thought the ignorant phobia against islam was bad. Who knew the prejudice was really about skin color instead of religion?

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Again, Ringo, it's more than he 'knows a guy' and more than 'an association'.
Obama placed himself under the spiritual guidance of a racist divisive pastor for the better part of two decades. Even when he admittedly knew of Wrights vitriol, he continued to work with him and appointed him to his Spritual guidance council. Trent Lott lost his job for one comment. Imus did too. Obama stood for Lotts steeping down and said he'd never hire anyone who made similar comments as Imus. Now we find out Wright said worse, and Obama did nothing. Isn't it a fair question to ask why Obama is applying a double standard?
Lott, Imus, so what statement did Obama make to where he should step down, or are you saying that he should insist that his retired Pastor come out of retirement, so Obama can tell him to step down?

I don't think Lott threw Thurman under the bus, nor do I think that some of Imus's closests associates did either, why is that Obama must throw his Pastor under the bus?

Upvote 0

Scribbler

Dec 9, 2004
right behind you.
Visit site
✟25,722.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, it is cherry picking to pluck one piece from Cone, assume an understanding of that piece (which has been demonstrated to be a very bad understanding) and ignore everything else he said and how the National Committee of Black Church Men defined black liberation theology in 1969.
James Cone is considered one of the founders of BLT and a great influence on Wright and TUCC. Find all the contrary opinions you want, but none of them will diminish what Cone defined BLT as, Neverstop.

RDNS said:
Jesus preached a liberation theology and that is why every group in the world that is oppressed and Christian identifies so strongly with Jesus' message.
And I agree with Jesus message. It's a shame Cone doesn't.

RDNS said:
Cone did not claim God is only for black people, he pointed out racist whites are not representative of the Christ who died for us all.
If God is not for us and against white people, then he is a murderer, and we had better kill him. ...
Black theology will accept only the love of God which participates in the destruction of the white enemy.

Straight from Cones mouth. I'll choose to believe what Cone said as opposed to 'what Neverstop said Cone said'.
RDNS said:
There are a couple of problems here. The first is wanting so badly to find anything to justify the false witnessing that anything mentioning race gets cited as proving blt is racist.
No, I'm only quoting the racist stuff.

Another is not understanding when cone and others wrote their works.
When was that and why does it matter?

Yet another is other than claiming it is 'racist' there is nothing to show it is actually racist. It boils down to 'look! He mentioned skin color! Racist! Racist!
No, actually, Cone does more than mention sking color. He says -
James Cone said:
"Black theology refuses to accept a God who is not identified totally with the goals of the black community. If God is not for us and against white people, then he is a murderer, and we had better kill him. The task of black theology is to kill Gods who do not belong to the black community ... Black theology will accept only the love of God which participates in the destruction of the white enemy. What we need is the divine love as expressed in Black Power, which is the power of black people to destroy their oppressors here and now by any means at their disposal. Unless God is participating in this holy activity, we must reject his love.
I mean, do you honestly not see any racism in that statement, Neverstop? Do you honestly see no hate in it? Can you not bring yourself to admit disgust that a Christian leader spews such filth and vitriol?

RDNS said:
Let's see a response to the link in the black liberation thread cause i am done going in these circles.
Go in peace, then.

Upvote 0