Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Large vehicles can be made more fuel efficient with hybrid technology and alternative fuels.
OK.
Tell me how hybred(make sure were talking electric/fuel combo?) technology could make a vehicle capable of hauling equal amounts of wieght? Until recently hybrids
couldn't have an air conditioner. Hybrids are good for short hauls, but not effective for long haul or heavy loads.

I believe Biodesiel can do it. What other fuels(bio-desiel is a slap in the face to those starving pigmys in new guinea.) can produce equal or better power then Gasoline or fossil desiel.

Upvote 0

noparty

Nov 2, 2006
Nashville, TN
✟8,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
OK.
Tell me how hybred(make sure were talking electric/fuel combo?) technology could make a vehicle capable of hauling equal amounts of wieght? Until recently hybrids
couldn't have an air conditioner. Hybrids are good for short hauls, but not effective for long haul or heavy loads.

I believe Biodesiel can do it. What other fuels(bio-desiel is a slap in the face to those starving pigmys in new guinea.) can produce equal or better power then Gasoline or fossil desiel.

They have hybrid electric and totally electric passenger buses. FedEx has some hybrid delivery trucks. Electric vehicles generally have pretty good low-end torque. Probably can't compete with the heavy trucks right now, but it's getting there.

Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
OK.

Some hybrids being produced now are more powerful than their conventional counterparts. The days of weak, underpowered hybrids has long passed. Also, I'm a huge supporter of biodiesel. I think eventually we will have sufficient technology for electric or partially electric vehicles to take care of us, with nuclear power producing our needed electricity. In the future, I see a mixture of petroluem based fuels, biofuels, and electricity forming the basis for our transportation system. We will reduce demand for petroleum enough to stop the supply pinch and lower prices, while using a sustainable amount.

Upvote 0

blueapplepaste

the purpose of life is a life of purpose
Jun 7, 2005
Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
OK.

The same argument could have been made 100 yrs ago about combustion engines. They were weak and slow. But look at the improvements. The same will happen for hybrid cars. There have already been great strides in the past few years to make them more accessible and better. To say that because they're not perfect now we shouldn't invest is misguided. I think that hybrids will be the transition technology from gas to pure electric cars.

Upvote 0

Sol Invictus

Veteran
Jun 28, 2005
✟9,792.00
Faith
Pantheist
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070507/ap_on_el_pr/obama_autos;_ylt=AneamYFwX7auSEE.MC42LdLMWM0F

Sen. Barack Obama has outlined his plan for encouraging American automakers to manufacure more energy efficient vehicles. Check it out, it sounds like a good plan to me.

"The need to drastically change our energy policy is no longer a debatable proposition. It is not a question of whether, but how; not a question of if, but when. For the sake of our security, our economy, our jobs and our planet, the age of oil must end in our time." - Sen. Obama

Does he have a plan on stopping volcanoes from erupting and the sun from heating up as well? He'd have my vote if he did ;)

Having said that, ofcourse we should do everything in our ability to stop pollution from going on. I'm afraid there's very little we can do about global warming though.

Upvote 0

FilM

Nov 13, 2004
✟596.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does he have a plan on stopping volcanoes from erupting and the sun from heating up as well? He'd have my vote if he did ;)

Having said that, ofcourse we should do everything in our ability to stop pollution from going on. I'm afraid there's very little we can do about global warming though.
Sol, please stop trying to derail a good debate. And get your facts straight, maybe start by reading the IPCC report or at least a good summary. The best scientific consensus to date states that humans are influencing climate change to the extent of 13x that of the sun, and volcanic impact is insignificant.

Upvote 0