driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,984.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't want the 2nd amendment to be repealed, but i do think it would accelerate things. I encourage democrats to make republicans and conservatives feel even more disenfranchised.
You mean, like when McConnel refused to even have a hearing on the nomination of Merrick Garland, yet pushed the nomination of Amy Corey Barett through in weeks? Do you mean that kind of disenfranchisement?
Or do you mean when McConnel announced to refuse to hear witnesses for Trump's removal from office, after his impeachment? Just because he had the -votes. Do you mean that kind of disenfranchisement?

Last edited:
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tax cuts and new judges are not maintaining of the status quo. The intransigence on gun control and environmental concerns ARE a victory by conservatives against the left. If you rewind the clock to the 80’s and early 90’s, there was more bipartisan agreement on both of those issues. In roughly the mid 90’s, the far right started taking a harder position and moved the overton window to the right.

Both the Republican and Democrat Parties are far more left leaning than they were in the 00s let alone the nineties or the eighties. . Republicans don't even talk about cutting budgets anymore and they sign on to trillion dollar giveaways of the country's financial assets that don't actually exist in any real way. . Trump included btw.

The way Progressives compromise is by getting something while allowing the opposition to keep something. After that compromise is reached, they immediately ask for more and allow the opposition to keep that same thing but maybe in a truncated form . So eventually there is only a tiny piece of that one thing left and the progressive's then call the opposition phobes of some kind or racist or obstructionist for not compromising by giving away that tiny bit of the one thing they have left in order to be bipartisan.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Can you explain to me how US society hasn't drifted towards more left leaning positions over the last ten or fifteen years?

-Homosexuality legalized
-Trans acceptance
-Obamacare
-Increasing state authority over Corona virus
-Increase of the bureaucratic regime
-Online censorship escalated
-A debt which only continues to escalate with each president.

What are the issues conservatives have won at exactly? Like from a long term perspective? Am I missing something or do we live in two alternate realities?

Bi-partisanship means both sides getting what they want but also what they don't want.
The arc of moral history definitely bends toward some left goals.

50 years from now (assuming we havent blown ourselves up) societal rejection of gay people will seem as barbaric as our racial apartheid system of last century.

And we all look back in horror at some of the last century's abject environmental destruction that was abetted mainly by legislation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Both the Republican and Democrat Parties are far more left leaning than they were in the 00s let alone the nineties or the eighties. .

On some things, perhaps, but not on others. If we're talking about lgbtq issues, sure - but that's partly because of shifting demographics and shifting court opinions. Young people see the problems in older conservative positions, and the courts have (rightfully) seen that many of those positions are indefensible. So, what's a contemporary conservative to do? Stake a position that's increasingly anachronistic? Or appreciate that the battle is lost and go along to get along?

But environmental issues? No. In fact, I'd argue that the very idea of what is "left" or "right" on that subject has changed since then. The majority of both sides were fairly middle of the road back in the 80's - we tackled the ozone hole, acid rain (with a cap and trade system), lead in gasoline, etc. Sure, the left had wackos burning down housing developments and attacking whaling ships while the right had wackos like Limbaugh pretending as if it was all a hoax, but they were on the fringe. These days, the left is (still) trying to tackle climate and water pollution, while the right-wing fringe has become the right-wing mainstream, to the point that Trump tried to revert regulations on light bulb efficiency just for the sake of poking a stick in the eye of liberals.

Republicans don't even talk about cutting budgets anymore and they sign on to trillion dollar giveaways of the country's financial assets that don't actually exist in any real way. . Trump included btw.

Actual cutting of budgets was never a priority for Republicans - all most of them ever did was pay lip service to it. Sure, they might cut social services, but if it came to something that wore a uniform or went boom, their checkbooks were wide open. But with regards to that, Republicans were talking about cutting budgets right up until Trump was elected, at which point it stopped being politically advantageous. Even now, many are hemming and hawing about the budgetary impacts of expanded covid relief/stimulus. Watch the hawkishness resume once Dems have control of the WH and Senate.

• Agree
Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Anyone else sick of this?.

I was sick of it when Biden came out with that kind of schpeel only days after the election and then had the gall, at the same time, to start playing president as though he were already inaugurated.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I was sick of it when Biden came out with that kind of schpeel only days after the election and then had the gall, at the same time, to start playing president as though he were already inaugurated.
Oh goodness! Heaven only knows what could have happened if we didn’t have Trump golfing and spreading dangerous conspiracies for these past two months.

• Agree
Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah LGBT have made progress, but you can still be fired in most states, and there is also religious exemptions for having to treat gays as humans in many places.

And we've seen no\t only zero progress on fixing climate change, we've seen backsliding on the little progress we have made. It be nice if we actually got somewhere on stuff.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yeah LGBT have made progress, but you can still be fired in most states, and there is also religious exemptions for having to treat gays as humans in many places.

And we've seen no\t only zero progress on fixing climate change, we've seen backsliding on the little progress we have made. It be nice if we actually got somewhere on stuff.
Well then, mention the President's accomplishments along with those items on which you think he failed, and let us compare. You haven't make a case just by referring to two issues that may be particularly important to you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
It isn't solely at the feet of Republicans to make bipartisanship a reality again.

In many cases both sides have been as bad as one another and could both do with reeling in the rhetoric and returning closer to centre so that compromise is more reasonable and realistic.

Upvote 0

Green Sun

404: Star not found
Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟45,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's weird how when Trump won, Republicans were already acting like he should be in charge on November 4th, but now we have hand-wringing over Biden's transition.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It isn't solely at the feet of Republicans to make bipartisanship a reality again.

In many cases both sides have been as bad as one another and could both do with reeling in the rhetoric and returning closer to centre so that compromise is more reasonable and realistic.
All right, that's a reasonable approach.

However, have you been listening to the victorious Democrats lately, including their top leaders? There is no suggestion of bipartisanship coming from Schumer or Pelosi or some of the others. It's quite the opposite, in fact. They are gloating that now they will be free to totally make over the USA in their own image.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟692,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
12 years of republicans fighting anything democrats do, 10 years of mconnel refusing to allow any democrat stuff to be voted on. 4 years of trump ignoring democrats. But NOW republicans have lost congress, house and presidency, NOW we must be bi partisan and act together.

Anyone else sick of this? There are some things sure we can try to be bipartisan on, but there are many issues like climate change we can't wait another presidency to fix.

I can't remember a time in the last decade the dems have been bipartisan and opted to work with the republicans...

I don't expect it to change, even if it will destroy our country not to... they are trying to burn the nation down for a decade, why stop now?

We are just the unwashed masses after all, that deserve death and despair, according to the left. Or so we are led to believe. If you believed we were human beings with worthwhile opinions, thoughts and ideas, you would have worked with us in a bipartisan manner at some point this last decade or so... but you haven't done it. Not expecting anything now...

I'm just waiting for the secret police to come get me for the reeducation camp... since I'm not socially acceptable or something.. lol

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Filling the vacuum left by the current President, such a usurper!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can't remember a time in the last decade the dems have been bipartisan and opted to work with the republicans...

I don't expect it to change, even if it will destroy our country not to... they are trying to burn the nation down for a decade, why stop now?

We are just the unwashed masses after all, that deserve death and despair, according to the left. Or so we are led to believe. If you believed we were human beings with worthwhile opinions, thoughts and ideas, you would have worked with us in a bipartisan manner at some point this last decade or so... but you haven't done it. Not expecting anything now...

I'm just waiting for the secret police to come get me for the reeducation camp... since I'm faulty or something.. lol

Oh right I mean it's not like one of the biggest criticisms of Obama was that he was TOO bipartisan, to the point of doing what republicans wanted in the vain hope they let him be president for a day. God you guys suck at remembering more then a few years.

There is a reason why Obama's negotiating skills were likened to someone playing chess with him, and his first move is to offer his queen, and then ask what they give him in exchange.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟692,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh right I mean it's not like one of the biggest criticisms of Obama was that he was TOO bipartisan, to the point of doing what republicans wanted in the vain hope they let him be president for a day. God you guys suck at remembering more then a few years.

There was zero bipartisan about Obama.. just love it when history gets rewritten right in front of my eyes as if I'm so stupid.. lol

Shows what the left thinks of our intelligence though..

Have fun with your attack the right show in this thread.. hatred for the right is exceedingly apparent... lovely..

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
All right, that's a reasonable approach.

However, have you been listening to the victorious Democrats lately, including their top leaders? There is no suggestion of bipartisanship coming from Schumer or Pelosi or some of the others. It's quite the opposite, in fact. They are gloating that now they will be free to totally make over the USA in their own image.
Elections have consequences.

• Winner
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's weird how when Trump won, Republicans were already acting like he should be in charge on November 4th, but now we have hand-wringing over Biden's transition.
I am curious to see what the next forlorn hope is. First it was state certification. Next was faithless electors. After that was alternative slates of electors. Finally it was Pence making up powers and throwing the election to Trump. Now there really isn't even any quasi legal process they can point to and say 'No this will stop it!".

I don't suppose I will have to wait long to hear what it is, my coworkers will clog my facebook feed with it by this evening most likely.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There was zero bipartisan about Obama.. just love it when history gets rewritten right in front of my eyes as if I'm so stupid.. lol

Shows what the left thinks of our intelligence though..

Have fun with your attack the right show in this thread.. hatred for the right is exceedingly apparent... lovely..

Your lying to our faces right here and now. Obama was one of the biggest brown nosers for the republcain party it's why many hated him and he the democrats lost the senate in 2010. Might want to learn more history.

Upvote 0