NOW we must be bipartisan.

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
12 years of republicans fighting anything democrats do, 10 years of mconnel refusing to allow any democrat stuff to be voted on. 4 years of trump ignoring democrats. But NOW republicans have lost congress, house and presidency, NOW we must be bi partisan and act together.

Anyone else sick of this? There are some things sure we can try to be bipartisan on, but there are many issues like climate change we can't wait another presidency to fix.

Green Sun

404: Star not found
Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟45,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
12 years of republicans fighting anything democrats do, 10 years of mconnel refusing to allow any democrat stuff to be voted on. 4 years of trump ignoring democrats. But NOW republicans have lost congress, house and presidency, NOW we must be bi partisan and act together.

Anyone else sick of this? There are some things sure we can try to be bipartisan on, but there are many issues like climate change we can't wait another presidency to fix.
If the last 12 years have taught me anything, it's that the Republican party will never, ever, be willing to negotiate with anyone else. Calls for bipartisanship don't work when one party will steadfastly obstruct and riot against everything and anything. Those $2000 stimulus checks are just one good example. Legislation for stimulus, the HEROS was sitting on the Senate floor since May, and Republicans refused to bring it up to a vote, lest they have to go on record of denying their constituents help.

And now, that they've finally lost control, they'll wring their hands and clutch their pearls for cries of bipartisanship, while steadfastly doing anything and everything they can do disrupt and destroy any sort of progress that could be made. Democrats have to push forward everything they can in the next 2 years, and it's gonna be a hard job with the razor thin margin.

My personal hope? DC and PR statehood, both should help bring more blue to the Senate. Puerto Rico just had a statehood referendum (non-binding, as only Congress can approve of a state), and Statehood won 52 to 47. Yesterday's terror attack at the Capitol showed the danger of not giving DC the right to deploy the National Guard without President being able to hold it back. Now is the time for all Americans to finally have equal representation.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not saying that democrats shouldn't try to work with republicans, but when republicans traditionally consider bipartisan working together to mean< "I get 100% what I want and you get 0." then no I will not support working with them in that way.

Plus only 50% or so voted for biden, but guess what.

Polls show over 60% in many cases support
single payer medicine
gun control
climate change
LGBT rights and many more.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The only thing that matters to power is that people keep playing their game and it looks like life goes on as normal judging by the posts. People are always too busy infighting to notice nothing in the history of man ever changes.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I am still hopeful for a Senate that acts in a bipartisan manner. The riots may have been a good thing for this. The Republicans are no longer a single block of lunatics. It indicates reasonable legislation should be passable. To end a filibuster they only need to convince 10 Republicans to oppose such an action. They do not actually have to vote for the proposed bills. All they have to do is to convince ten Republicans to be fair and we have seen that only 20% of the Republican Senators are beyond hope.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,099.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Can you explain to me how US society hasn't drifted towards more left leaning positions over the last ten or fifteen years?

-Homosexuality legalized
-Trans acceptance
-Obamacare
-Increasing state authority over Corona virus
-Increase of the bureaucratic regime
-Online censorship escalated
-A debt which only continues to escalate with each president.

What are the issues conservatives have won at exactly? Like from a long term perspective? Am I missing something or do we live in two alternate realities?

Bi-partisanship means both sides getting what they want but also what they don't want.

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the last 12 years have taught me anything, it's that the Republican party will never, ever, be willing to negotiate with anyone else. Calls for bipartisanship don't work when one party will steadfastly obstruct and riot against everything and anything. Those $2000 stimulus checks are just one good example. Legislation for stimulus, the HEROS was sitting on the Senate floor since May, and Republicans refused to bring it up to a vote, lest they have to go on record of denying their constituents help.

And now, that they've finally lost control, they'll wring their hands and clutch their pearls for cries of bipartisanship, while steadfastly doing anything and everything they can do disrupt and destroy any sort of progress that could be made. Democrats have to push forward everything they can in the next 2 years, and it's gonna be a hard job with the razor thin margin.

My personal hope? DC and PR statehood, both should help bring more blue to the Senate. Puerto Rico just had a statehood referendum (non-binding, as only Congress can approve of a state), and Statehood won 52 to 47. Yesterday's terror attack at the Capitol showed the danger of not giving DC the right to deploy the National Guard without President being able to hold it back. Now is the time for all Americans to finally have equal representation.

Speaking of these $2000 stimulus checks, even though, come Jan 20, Schumer apparently becomes the Majority leader in the Senate, which means he can bring this bill to the floor for a debate and a vote, Democrats still need Republicans voting for this bill since I'm thinking, though I don't know for certain, that it needs at least 60 votes in the Senate to make it to the President's desk for signing. That means the Democrats need at least 10 Republicans Senators voting in favor of this. Would there be that many Republicans in favor of this bill? Maybe, maybe not.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Bi-partisanship means both sides getting what they want but also what they don't want.
The key is still for power itself in whatever form to maintain it's hold over the masses. No easy feat considering the david vs goliath numbers involved.

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,331.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Can you explain to me how US society hasn't drifted towards more left leaning positions over the last ten or fifteen years?

Theres no such thing as “US society” as a single thing. It’s a big country, and it’s easy to isolate your tribe to the point where everyone else becomes “the other”.

And if you’re fed a steady diet of paranoid propaganda that’s demonizing the other, then the divide becomes insurmountable.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

-Homosexuality legalized
-Trans acceptance
-Obamacare
-Increasing state authority over Corona virus
-Increase of the bureaucratic regime
-Online censorship escalated
-A debt which only continues to escalate with each president.

What are the issues conservatives have won at exactly? Like from a long term perspective? Am I missing something or do we live in two alternate realities?

No gun control, tax cuts, judges, little movement on climate change, no campaign finance reform

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,099.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Theres no such thing as “US society” as a single thing. It’s a big country, and it’s easy to isolate your tribe to the point where everyone else becomes “the other”.

And if you’re fed a steady diet of paranoid propaganda that’s demonizing the other, then the divide becomes insurmountable.

Care to explain to me then how the right has been more victorious over the last ten or so years when compared to the left with the issues I mentioned in that post? Tell me a long lasting conservative victory.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,099.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No gun control, tax cuts, judges, little movement on climate change, no campaign finance reform

So status quo. Not really a shift towards the right but a maintaining of. If any of those things were changed do you believe it's within the right's power to undo them? What has the right managed to undo of the left's recent victories? None, as far as I can recall.

Given trends it's only a matter of time before the second amendment is revoked. I almost encourage it. Could start a civil war.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Polls show over 60% in many cases support
single payer medicine
gun control
climate change
LGBT rights and many more.
This shows the evils of having money equaling “speech” in politics (and the horrendous “Citizens United” decision).

When money is paramount to election/re-election, then the donors (not the constituents) call the shots.

As the “will of the people” gets ignored in favor of the donor-class, the scourge of “populism” comes to the fore.

Trump is/was a populist candidate and President.
Like most populists he was great at ruling, lousy at governing.

• Agree
Reactions: StromRider
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
So status quo. Not really a shift towards the right but a maintaining of. If any of those things were changed do you believe it's within the right's power to undo them?

Given trends it's only a matter of time before the second amendment is revoked. I almost encourage it. Could start a civil war.
Between those who want to repeal the 2nd Amendment and those who want to repeal the 1st? It looks like not a civil war you want to start, but a religious war.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,099.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Between those who want to repeal the 2nd Amendment and those who want to repeal the 1st? It looks like not a civil war you want to start, but a religious war.

I don't want the 2nd amendment to be repealed, but i do think it would accelerate things. I encourage democrats to make republicans and conservatives feel even more disenfranchised.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So status quo. Not really a shift towards the right but a maintaining of. If any of those things were changed do you believe it's within the right's power to undo them? What has the right managed to undo of the left's recent victories? None, as far as I can recall.

Tax cuts and new judges are not maintaining of the status quo. The intransigence on gun control and environmental concerns ARE a victory by conservatives against the left. If you rewind the clock to the 80’s and early 90’s, there was more bipartisan agreement on both of those issues. In roughly the mid 90’s, the far right started taking a harder position and moved the overton window to the right.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

When they say "unity," understand they mean "submissive compliance"

Upvote 0

Guinan

Dec 12, 2020
Texas
✟50,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

As a lifelong Republican, I'd like to see every single Republican politician who supported Trump voted out of the Party. I don't have any sympathy for them whatsoever because they sold out to Trump in their selfish and greedy efforts to advance their own political career. Trumpism is an anathema to me and I want it completely banished from the Republican Party. It is time to clean house and it starts with Trump. I've never been more relieved to see a President defeated and removed from office. The Day of Reckoning for these Republican leaders should be the next election that determines their future in Congress. I don't think they should get away Scott-free with attempting to overturn the election.

Upvote 0