Now Greenland is out of the question, how about the uk?

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,752,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Noting that the US already rescued the UK from two disastrous world wars.

Since that debt was never appropriately paid back, the US would seem to have claim to the UK.
That is flat out offensive and uncalled for.

BBC NEWS | UK | UK settles WWII debts to allies

Britain will settle its World War II debts to the US and Canada when it pays two final instalments before the close of 2006, the Treasury has said.

The payments of $83.25m (£42.5m) to the US and US$22.7m (£11.6m) to Canada are the last of 50 instalments since 1950.

The amount paid back is nearly double that loaned in 1945 and 1946. "This week we finally honour in full our commitments to the US and Canada for the support they gave us 60 years ago," said Treasury Minister Ed Balls.
Besides the fact that they were with America in the Korean War and the Gulf war, and current wars, they have been a steady friend to the US through the whole Cold war period.

Special Relationship - Wikipedia

Although both governments also have close relationships with many other nations, the level of cooperation between the UK and the U.S. in trade and commerce, military planning, execution of military operations, nuclear weapons technology, and intelligence sharing has been described as "unparalleled" among major world powers.[1] The close relationships between British and American heads of government such as Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher, as well as between Tony Blair and both Bill Clinton and George W. Bush have been noted.[2] At the diplomatic level, characteristics include recurring public representations of the relationship as “special”, frequent and high-profile political visits and extensive information exchange at the diplomatic working level.[3] The UK was the only European country to contribute troops to the 2003 invasion of Iraq.[2]

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,752,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha..!

Now go away and read a *real* history book...

I read the book where Churchill was sending the United States all the extra rifles and shotguns in England to the US to protect us from the Germans, as well as a lot of their older destroyers. I am surprised how the UK even allowed the US to take part in the war at all with the bad showing of the American Expeditionary force at Dunkirk. Anyone with a brain and the BBC knows it was Dr. Who who won the war against the Nazis and the Daleks.

• Haha
Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
That is flat out offensive and uncalled for.

BBC NEWS | UK | UK settles WWII debts to allies

Britain will settle its World War II debts to the US and Canada when it pays two final instalments before the close of 2006, the Treasury has said.

The payments of $83.25m (£42.5m) to the US and US$22.7m (£11.6m) to Canada are the last of 50 instalments since 1950.

The amount paid back is nearly double that loaned in 1945 and 1946. "This week we finally honour in full our commitments to the US and Canada for the support they gave us 60 years ago," said Treasury Minister Ed Balls.​
I was merely continuing the humor in the vein the thread was started in, FreeinChrist. (BTW, I didn't start this humorous thread.)

I appreciate you digging into history and posting that the UK's debt has now been paid. I stand corrected on the matter. I was merely remembering that the debt had gone unpaid for many years. Good on the Brits for honoring the obligation.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,752,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I was merely continuing the humor in the vein the thread was started in, FreeinChrist. (BTW, I didn't start this humorous thread.)

I appreciate you digging into history and posting that the UK's debt has now been paid. I stand corrected on the matter. I was merely remembering that the debt had gone unpaid for many years. Good on the Brits for honoring the obligation.
There is funny and there is funny. The OP article was humorous. Your post was funny like bad joke - so not funny. No need to offend the British members of the site.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
There is funny and there is funny. The OP article was humorous.
Depends on one's perspective.

It was obviously poking fun at Donald Trump. Some might call that offensive ... if one were looking for reasons to be offended.
Your post was funny like bad joke - so not funny. No need to offend the British members of the site.
It appears you indeed picked up on the irony. When it takes the better part of a century to repay debt, that is obviously a bad joke.

Now, since the thread was just a little jocular bantering at the time I wasn't particularly concerned about details. But, since you introduced the specifics of WWII British debt to the United States ... as if that were all that the UK owed the United States ... what's say we continue your line of reasoning.

British debt from WWI remains "resolutely unpaid" ... according to BBC (2006).
What's a little debt between friends?

And while the UK dutifully pays off its World War II debts, those from World War I remain resolutely unpaid. And are by no means trifling. In 1934, Britain owed the US $4.4bn of World War I debt (about £866m at 1934 exchange rates). Adjusted by the Retail Price Index, a typical measure of inflation, £866m would equate to £40bn now, and if adjusted by the growth of GDP, to about £225bn.
"The Americans lent Britain a lot. Britain resented making payments," says historian Dr Patricia Clavin, of Oxford University.

And although Britain was unable to pay its debts, it was also owed the whacking sum of £2.3bn.

These loans remain in limbo. The UK Government's position is this: "Neither the debt owed to the United States by the UK nor the larger debts owed by other countries to the UK have been serviced since 1934, nor have they been written off."

So in a time when debt relief for Third World nations is recurrently in the news, the UK still has a slew of unresolved loans from a war that finished 88 years ago.
Nor is HM Treasury able to say why the UK never repaid its WWI debts - even though, at the time, many Americans took a dim view of repayments being suspended, for they had bought bonds which stood little chance of showing a return on their investment
.​

It appears we have a conundrum, FreeinChrist. Who is allowed to be offended at what? Multiple opportunities for the politics of grievances exist here. The BBC itself points out that the UK has unpaid debt to the US that is now 100 years old ... and that the UK has no intention of ever repaying it to the United States.

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It is paid.
The WWII debt was paid.

WWI debt, not so much ...
The Brits have supported the US many times.
Agreed. We could formalize that with a new trade agreement, such as Trump has been working on ... or, to get back in the jocular spirit of the OP ... perhaps the UK could become a new state, perhaps even multiple states.

Upvote 0