North Island
✟293,170.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i've been going to this church for a while and just found out it is based on Calvinist/Reformed Theology which I do not believe. Well some of it i do but some i really do not agree with. i believe some of it is simply wrong.

i am not sure if i should stay there.

the people are nice and i feel welcome, although some of them are very strong Calvinist which i find difficult sometimes as i just do not agree with some of it.

any thoughts would be welcome.

AnnaDeborah

Aug 5, 2018
private
✟30,123.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Someone once said to me that 'the ideal church has a membership of one' meaning that if you are the only person in it, you won't find anything in it to disagree with!!! You will never find a church where you agree 100% with everyone about everything, you just need to decide what issues are so important to you that you can't compromise and what ones you can agree to differ on. Also, there is a huge difference for me between what the leadership teach and what members of the congregation believe. E.G. The church I go to has a couple of members who believe things that I totally disagree with - if they were on the leadership team, I would not be able to stay in the church, but because they are just members, it's not such an issue, especially as I know the leadership would disagree with them too!

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i've been going to this church for a while and just found out it is based on Calvinist/Reformed Theology which I do not believe. Well some of it i do but some i really do not agree with. i believe some of it is simply wrong.

the people are nice and i feel welcome, although some of them are very strong Calvinist which i find difficult sometimes as i just do not agree with some of it.

You will find much greater variation in beliefs inside one church than comparisons between denominations. Between churches, they all have some basic ideas. Inside one church, you'll find Buddhists and non-believers. I recommend you visit at least a dozen denominations.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟326,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I am naturally going to recommend that you visit an Orthodox Church. There is certainly nothing Calvinist about it, and it is in no way reformed. It is the original Church.

One difficulty some people have (including myself) is that the Churches are usually ethnic, causing some people to feel a little out of place. And oftentimes, the Orthodox are wary of "outsiders" because far too many protestants show up trying to "convert" them.

Call around and speak with a few priests. You'll find a place.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would first look at what the church itself has as its doctrine as AnnaDeborah also said. Pray about it too and make sure that you are not just looking for a church to suit yourself. If you do not agree with the church itself and what it teaches then I would certainly not be there.

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The best place you can be is where God sends you to. Pray for His direction.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom

You should consider though ask God his will is first thing. Second I'd say it all depends how vexed you feel under that type of ministry. God want's us to have PEACE is one thing to know. As for me I'd find it a challenge to be in such a church BUT I'd still know they're my precious brethren in the Lord BUT doesn't mean I'd sit under their ministry that is on a full time basis .

Doesn't mean I think they're not preaching some good things....some of the most inspirational preaching I've heard on other subjects...to do with holy living and the reverence of God have been from such groups. I don't know...take your time, get a feel if you really think you'd you can flow with these folks. Visit other churches and don't be quick to take up any church membership anywhere. Nothing wrong with taking a good year to get a good feel in your spirit. The Bible say he that believes shall not make haste. Isaiah 28:16

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

There are things I do agree with Calvinism as well. But before leaving you may want to take the opportunity to have a discussion with them to make it very clear in your mind the issues you have with them. Then when you leave and testify to others as to why you left you can avoid bearing them false witness by testifying as to what exactly they believe, from their own words, as to what issues you had with them.

• Useful
Reactions: ICONO'CLAST
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
StillGods, I agree with the others who feel we need more information about this church and what it believes/teaches, if we are to give good advice.

For instance, is this a non-denominational congregation or a member of some denomination? Is the problem what the church is teaching or with its statement of beliefs or...is it that many of the members hold the beliefs that you referred to although those are not the formal beliefs of the church?

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Start reading and studying your bible. Then if God grants you understanding you will understand what they are talking about. Do not waste time in a dead church such that claims they have priests The nt.
All believers are believer priests reigning with our Great High priest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quidam65

Mar 19, 2018
DFW
✟11,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Calvinist/Reformed theology is a really big issue. I would compare it to Pentecostal/Charismatic teaching in the sense that if you have problems with that theology, you don't need to be in a church where that is the foundation of their statement of faith. You will be miserable at best, and likely asked to leave at worst once they learn you disagree.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟293,170.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Calvinist/Reformed theology is a really big issue. I would compare it to Pentecostal/Charismatic teaching in the sense that if you have problems with that theology, you don't need to be in a church where that is the foundation of their statement of faith. You will be miserable at best, and likely asked to leave at worst once they learn you disagree.

thank you this helps a great deal.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,150,507.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
It's hard for us to judge, because we can't tell what the church is. There's a lot of variation within the Reformed family. At least in the US, the majority of Reformed churches are mainline, and don't emphasize the more controversial parts of Reformed theology (i.e. TULIP).

If you haven't seen things in sermons and activities that bother you, but you disagree with some members, perhaps your church is from the moderate side of the Reformed tradition. Why not talk with the pastor or one of the elders? There are people in my church that I disagree with, but that's not an issue.

Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟293,170.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i have decided to leave this church as too much troubles me about it, and some of the people who have the beliefs it is based on are not very nice if you dont believe exactly as they do.
i have had a previous bad church experience many years ago and it feels similar to that so i'm moving on as i dont have the energy to go through that again. thanks again for all the posts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,150,507.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Here's an interesting perspective on what it means to be Reformed. I agree with the author that it's not TULIP. He argues that what characterizes Reformed is their understanding the God doesn't just care about individual salvation, but about renewing the world. (I believe I disagree with him about the nature that renewal should have in the US, by the way.)

"TULIP" Doesn't Mean "Reformed" — "City on a Hill" Does The American Vision

I think it's also the commitment to ongoing renewal. The Reformation was driven by new understandings of Scripture, based in part on moving from a Latin translation to the original languages. But that was only a start. Real Reformed are committed to continuing that reexamination, not turning the Reformers' views into a new inerrant tradition.

It sounds to me like the OP encountered a form of Reformed that as a Reformed Christian I would have a problem with also.

• Informative
Reactions: StillGods
Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I spent 30 years in Baptist circles without believing in pre-millenial eschatology.

You probably aren't going to find a church in which you agree with everything completely. In this age of the great falling away, it's sometimes hard enough to find ones that are even faithful to the Nicene Creed and God's moral law.

I would second the recommendation to explore Orthodoxy, perhaps even a confessional Lutheran church.

Upvote 0

94Tamara

Sep 24, 2018
Brabant
✟8,289.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Have you thought about studying the Bible for yourself first, without all the commentaries, to see what you believe in?

Upvote 0