Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I've just noticed something while studying Greek manuscripts and was wondering if someone can help clear this up for me

It stems from this verse:

Mat 5:18

" For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled "

I look this up in several Greek concordances and it says the following:

Tittle

κεραια keraia {ker-ah'-yah} from a presumed derivative of the base of 2768;; n f AV - tittle 2; 2 1) a little horn 2) extremity, apex, point 2a) used by grammarians of the accents and diacritical points. Jesus used it of the little lines or projections, by which the Hebrew letters in other respects similar differ from one another; the meaning is, Vnot even the minutest part of the law shall perishV.

" lines and projections " in Hebrew would likely be tagin or dagesh , while in Greek this refers to the literary convention of the " titlo "

--------------

Next concordance said:

Tittle

Strong's Concordance
keraia: a little horn
Original Word: κεραία, ας, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: keraia
Phonetic Spelling: (ker-ah'-yah)
Short Definition: an apostrophe
Definition: a little hook, an apostrophe on letters of the alphabet, distinguishing them from other little letters, or a separation stroke between letters.
HELPS Word-studies

2762 keraíaproperly, a little "horn," i.e. " 'a little hook, an apostrophe' on letters of the alphabet, distinguishing them from other like-letters, or a 'separation stroke' between letters" (Souter); a tittle (KJV).

["Tittle" comes from the Latin, titulus – the stroke above an abbreviated word – and later, any small mark.

"In Vay. R. 19 the guilt of altering one of them is pronounced so great that if it were done the world would be destroyed" (so McNeile).]

--------------------

A tittle then is used over sacred names / objects in Greek manuscripts, known as a " nomen sacrum " ( sacred name )

The words themselves are abbreviated

Metzger lists 15 such expressions from Greek papyri: the Greek counterparts of:

God, Lord, Jesus, Christ, Son, Spirit, David, Cross, Mother, Father, Israel, Savior, Man, Jerusalem, and Heaven.

These nomina sacra are all found in Greek manuscripts of the 3rd century and earlier, except Mother, which appears in the 4th

So what I am curious about here, is the fact that New Testament authors took the common abbreviated Christogram

ΧΣ

...which is normally written with the " little horn " ( titlo )

and they affixed the letter stigma ϛ, (στίγμα), which is originally a common Greek noun meaning "a mark, dot, puncture", or generally " a sign ",

to the Christogram

ΧΣϛ

...which they then wrote a titlo ( little horn ) over

However ΧΣϛ ( 666 ) does not seem to belong on the list:

God, Lord, Jesus, Christ, Son, Spirit, David, Cross, Mother, Father, Israel, Savior, Man, Jerusalem, and Heaven

...yet it was clearly written as it belongs on this list, as a " sacred name / object "

So did New Testament authors know something we don't ?

I would also raise the question of academic / theological bias, because people are clearly choosing to overlook this, and if you recall the start of this post clearly says:

" For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled "

( note to mods, if this is in the wrong forum, please move it to the appropriate place, thanks :)

On at least one level.........
I believe firmly that that powerful verse fits with this other question:

Should Christians support Rebuilding of Jerusalem Third Temple.

Should Christians support Jerusalem Third Temple?
Edit
  1. *
    Yes... the words of Ezekiel must come to pass.
    6 vote(s)
    13.6%

2. No.... it will lead to the rise of the Anti-Christ fellow.
    5 vote(s)
    11.4%

3. Yes.... living waters will flow from the restored Third Temple.
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%

4. No... Christians must not support animal sacrifice.
    24 vote(s)
    54.5%

5. I am not certain but I will research this question further.
    4 vote(s)
    9.1%

6. No... this could cause a war to break out.
    5 vote(s)
    11.4%
Change Your Vote

Upvote 0

DaveDavids

May 30, 2018
asheville
✟17,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now for some early cognates :)

Let's look at what a mark / marking is:

Hebrew example:

Ezekiel 9:4

" And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof "

תוה tavah {taw-vaw'} a primitive root; TWOT - 2496; v AV - scrabble 1, set 1; 2 1) to scrabble, limit, mark, make or set a mark 1a) (Piel) to mark 1b) (Hiphil) to set a mark

תו tav {tawv}; TWOT - 2496a; n m AV - mark 2, desire 1; 3 1) desire, mark 1a) mark (as a sign of exemption from judgment)

The earliest cognate I've found is actually Sumerian, which makes sense, as " marking " something is actually an early form of apotropaic magic ( meaning to ward off evil ), and early Hebrew exegesis borrows heavily from Akkadian procedural texts ( " magic " )

Pretty much anything considered as a " magic " text in a language like Babylonian is actually Akkadian which in turn preserves the original Sumerian, this is generally the rule, as the language was considered sacred

So the Sumerian and Akkadian cognates to the Hebrew are:

Sumerian: tab ( "burn " ) (13x: Old Babylonian, unknown) wr. tab; tab2 "to burn, fire; to dye (red); to brand, mark"

Akkadian: hamāţu; šamātu; şarāpu

Ofor.png

It has three base meanings:

1. to burn, fire

2. to dye (red)

3. to brand, mark

Sumerian: tab
Hebrew : תוה tavah
Hebrew : תו tav

Upvote 0

DaveDavids

May 30, 2018
asheville
✟17,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Another fascinating related sub-topic here is the reference to dying things red

( I think I'll start a thread on this topic as well )

Sumerian: tab ( "burn " ) (13x: Old Babylonian, unknown) wr. tab; tab2 "to burn, fire; to dye (red); to brand, mark"

1. to burn, fire

2. to dye (red)

3. to brand, mark

In my studies on the use of the color red, in both the Bible and pre-biblical literature, I discovered a rabbinical tradition that was used to answer questions about the Levitical " scapegoat ritual " conducted at New Moon ( For New Moon in ancient texts, Sin, the Moon god was given the name " the fruit " whereas the disappearance of the Moon itself was called a " flood "), where they would essentially kick a goat out of the town after somehow having the goat bear the sins of the priest and the rest of the world

People eventually asked questions about this, as you can't just " run a goat off " ( If you've ever owned goats you know they just walk ten feet and start eating ) so rabbis claimed that the Levite priest would tie a red ribbon to one horn of the goat

Following from the short definition in the Hebrew concordance of " he-goat " , which is " devil "

" sa'iyr "

~ The " devil " ( sa'iyr - he-goat ) - that which takes away the sin from the community
~ Red ribbon on it's horn

The NT scriptures make clear use of the color red in reference to Satan / the devil / the dragon

Rev 12:3 And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.

Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

It then equates the following:

~ Satan
~ The devil
~ The dragon
~ The serpent

( Also keep in mind that " casting out " was what Levite priest did to the " devil " ( goat )

The truly fascinating thing here is that when measuring visible light we find that 666 nanometers would put you right in the red

In other words, the associations of the number 666 and the color red are not accidental, nor are they arbitrary

( I can conclusively and objectively prove this if anybody wants to debate Mesopotamian metrological conventions, but fair warning, you'll have to at least have some interest / understanding of mathematics and ancient texts )

Upvote 0

DaveDavids

May 30, 2018
asheville
✟17,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Another interesting thing is this:

The Bible makes reference to the topics of - desecration / abomination / Antichrist / temple

Many people claim there will be a replica temple built in Jerusalem, complete with Ark of the Covenant, and the rest of the items and priestly garb and anointing substance and red heifer, ( reduced to ashes, see Strong's Hebrew # 666 ), all of which would be topics covered by the Kodashim ( Pertaining to the Temple and items within )

( personally this is not my belief, that an actual temple will be built there in the modern Israel )

The " man of sin / son of perdition " sits in the " holy place " ( a naos ) and shows " himself to be God "

However, there would be no " great deception " if everybody believed some man who claimed to be God in a replica temple in Jerusalem, this in turn would invalidate prophecy ( Not happening )

So, being that by my studies, the use / reference of this number of 666 ( remember, the one written as a sacred title ) heavily is based on knowledge New Testament authors had in regards to Hebrew gematria, which itself merely uses a rather large body of mathematical knowledge as it's basis and is far older, being passed down from priest to priest

So I began an examination of what words / phrases we find this number with ( surprising ), but I'll only do the items here that pertain to the topic of the post:

1. Having a replica temple would mean having an inner room and Ark

The Hebrew description of the dimensions of the cubic Holy of Holies, which God specified to be exactly 20 x 20 x 20 cubits, also evaluates to 666:

Twenty Cubits
00666H_TwentyCubits.gif
Esarim Amah = 666

2. The Man of Sin claims to be God / like God

Like God
00666H_LikeGod.gif
K'Elohim = 666

( sofit form of the mayim )

Strong's Hebrew: 4325. מָ֫יִם (mayim) -- waters, water

( In my thread on Hell / the pit, I posted that the Hebrew word "
prophet " is from the Sumerian word for " water " , but " water " in itself in ancient texts is an incredibly complex topic so I'll skip it for now )

3. The rebuilt temple would have a replica Ark, which would reside in the inner room ( 20 cubits = 666 )

The Holy Ark
00666H_TheHolyArk.gif
Arun HaQadosh = 666

( 2 Chronicles 35.3 )

4. The Man of sin, claiming to be God, in the Temple, would be wearing the crown of the High Priest

The Holy Crown
00666H_HolyCrown.gif
Nezar HaQadosh = 666

( Leviticus 8.9 )

5. If exegesis is consistent with Hebrew and Greek, there should be something in Greek as well

• John 1.6: There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
  • John 9.16: Therefore said some of the Pharisees, This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the sabbath day. Others said, How can a man that is a sinner do such miracles? And there was a division among them.
  • John 9.33: If this man were not of God, he could do nothing.
  • 2 Peter 1.17: For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
  • 2 John 3: Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love.
In each case, the highlighted words are translated from the Greek phrase "para Theou." We have the identity:

Greek - From God
00666G_FromGod.gif
Para Theou = 666
Hebrew - Like God
00666H_LikeGod.gif
K'Elohim = 666

6. The Man of sin causes the great apostasy, the turning away

In Hebrew we find the word "
To turn (away) "
00666H_ToTurn(away).gif
= 666

( Deuteronomy 5:32 )

In New Testament, we find

John 6:66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him

( I'm aware that the verse chapter notations are later additions, however I would argue it has significance based on ancient priestly exegetical traditions we can debate as well )

7. The concepts of Apostasy and unbelief show the topics to be related through math again

Because of unbelief
00666G_BecauseOfUnbelief.gif
=

8. Babylon prophecies - The man of sin / the beast / 666 /the dragon / the devil / the serpent , are all openly associated with each other in the scriptures in turn the " city of Babylon " ( meaning " confusion "... ), we again find that in Hebrew:

Dwelling place for dragons
00666H_DwellingplaceForDrag.gif
=

Babylon's Punishment in Jeremiah is stated as such:

" And Babylon shall become heaps, a dwelling place for dragons, an astonishment, and an hissing, without an inhabitant "

This continues into the topic in the next post

Upvote 0