" Not one jot or tittle shall pass away "

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Props to him for using Linux as an OS. (I'm a computer scientist) I don't have time to try and evaluate his teaching right now. My first impression of it is that it is just finding patterns that we like in the Bible. (both the pope and martin luther accused the other having the value of 666 in their name or title somewhere) I think these are interesting and fun I just don't think they can be used to prove anything about scripture. It reminds me of part of a novel I read a while back:

Listen. In gematriya, the words "this world" come out one hundred sixtythree, and the words "the-world-to-come" come out one hundred fifty-four. The difference between "this world" and the "the world-tocom,' comes out to nine. Nine is half of eighteen. Eighteen is chai, life. In this world there is only half of chai. We are only half alive in this world! Only half alive!' A whisper went through the crowd at the tables, and I could see heads nod and lips smile. They had been waiting for this apparently, the gematriya, and they strained forward to listen. One of my teachers in school had told me about gematriya. Each letter of the Hebrew alphabet is also a number, so that every Hebrew word has a numerical value. The words for 'this world' in Hebrew is 'olam hazeh', and by adding the numerical value of each letter, the total numerical value of the word becomes one hundred and sixty-three. I had heard others do this before, and I enjoyed listening because sometimes they were quite clever and ingenious. I was beginning to feel relaxed again, and I listened carefully. 'Hear me now. Listen. How can we make our lives full? How can we fill our lives so that we are eighteen, chai, and not nine, not half chai? Rabbi Joshua son of Levi teaches us, "Whoever does not labor in the Torah is said to be under the divine censure." He is a nozuf, a person whom the Master of the Universe hates! A righteous man, a tzaddik, studies Torah, for it is written, "For his delight is in the Torah of God, and over His Torah doth he meditate day and night." In gematriya, "nozuf" comes out one hundred forty-three, and "tzaddik" comes out two hundred and four. What is the difference between "nozuf" and "tzaddik"? Sixty-one. To whom does a tzaddik dedicate his life? To the Master of the Universe! La-el, to God! The word, "La-el" in gematriya is sixty-one! It is a life dedicated to God that makes the difference between the nozuf and the tzaddik!' Another murmur of approval went through the crowd. Reb Saunders was very good at gematriya, I thought. I was really enjoying myself now. 'And now listen to me further. In gematriya, the letter of the word "traklin,” hall, the hall that refers to the world-to-come comes out three hundred ninety-nine, and "prozdor," the vestibule, the vestibule that is this world, comes out five hundred thirteen. Take "prozdor" from "traklin," and we have one hundred fourteen. Now listen to me. A righteous man, we said, is two hundred four. A righteous man lives by Torah. Torah is mayim, water; the great and holy rabbis always compare Torah to water. The word "mayim" in gematriya is ninety. Take "mayim" from" tzaddik" and we also have one hundred fourteen. From this we learn that the righteous man who removes himself from Torah also removes himself from the world-to-come! ' The whisper of delight was loud this time, and men nodded their heads and smiled. Some of them were even poking each other with their elbows to indicate their pleasure. That one had really been clever. I started to go over it again in my mind. 'We see that without Torah there is only half a life. We see that without Torah we are dust. We see that without Torah we are abominations.' He was saying this quietly, almost as if it were a litany. His eyes were still open, and he was looking directly at Danny now. 'When we study Torah, then the Master of the Universe listens. Then he hears our words. Then He will fulfill our wishes. For the Master of the Universe promises strength to them who preoccupy themselves in Torah, as it is written, "So ye may be strong", and He promises length of days, as it is written. "So that your days may be lengthened." May Torah be a fountain of waters to all who drink from it, and may it bring to us the Messiah speedily and in our day. Amen!' A chorus of loud and scattered amens answered. http://www.mpsaz.org/mtnview/staff/...ature9r/persepolis/files/the_chosen_novel.pdf

There are no powers in the numbers in the Bible. They are not there to solve our problems or to tell the future. The numbers in God's Word are merely there to show us that God's Word is divine in origin. It is to make us in even more awe in God's Word. The numbers are not invented by the minds of men, but the numbers are defined as to how the Word of God defines them. There is a pattern of meaning associated with the numbers in the Bible that one cannot ignore.

For example: Take the number 40 in the Bible. Noah was in the Ark for 40 days and 40 nights while it was raining (or while there was a storm). Noah was in a trial of sorts inside the Ark with all those animals as the storm raged outside the Ark. Jesus fasted in the wilderness (desert) for 40 days and 40 nights. Jesus was under a trial by the fact that he was fasting. So there is a meaning ascribed to the numbers in the Bible (that is defined by the Bible itself). This is what Pastor Mike teaches. He will show you these kinds of facts in the Bible and it up to you to decide in what to do with them. For me: It makes me in awe of God's Word and I am thankful to God that He would show me such wonderful things within His Word. All glory goes to the Lord.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've just noticed something while studying Greek manuscripts and was wondering if someone can help clear this up for me

It stems from this verse:

Mat 5:18

" For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled "

I look this up in several Greek concordances and it says the following:

Tittle

κεραια keraia {ker-ah'-yah} from a presumed derivative of the base of 2768;; n f AV - tittle 2; 2 1) a little horn 2) extremity, apex, point 2a) used by grammarians of the accents and diacritical points. Jesus used it of the little lines or projections, by which the Hebrew letters in other respects similar differ from one another; the meaning is, Vnot even the minutest part of the law shall perishV.

" lines and projections " in Hebrew would likely be tagin or dagesh , while in Greek this refers to the literary convention of the " titlo "

--------------

Next concordance said:

Tittle

Strong's Concordance
keraia: a little horn
Original Word: κεραία, ας, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: keraia
Phonetic Spelling: (ker-ah'-yah)
Short Definition: an apostrophe
Definition: a little hook, an apostrophe on letters of the alphabet, distinguishing them from other little letters, or a separation stroke between letters.
HELPS Word-studies

2762 keraíaproperly, a little "horn," i.e. " 'a little hook, an apostrophe' on letters of the alphabet, distinguishing them from other like-letters, or a 'separation stroke' between letters" (Souter); a tittle (KJV).

["Tittle" comes from the Latin, titulus – the stroke above an abbreviated word – and later, any small mark.

"In Vay. R. 19 the guilt of altering one of them is pronounced so great that if it were done the world would be destroyed" (so McNeile).]

--------------------

A tittle then is used over sacred names / objects in Greek manuscripts, known as a " nomen sacrum " ( sacred name )

The words themselves are abbreviated

Metzger lists 15 such expressions from Greek papyri: the Greek counterparts of:

God, Lord, Jesus, Christ, Son, Spirit, David, Cross, Mother, Father, Israel, Savior, Man, Jerusalem, and Heaven.

These nomina sacra are all found in Greek manuscripts of the 3rd century and earlier, except Mother, which appears in the 4th

So what I am curious about here, is the fact that New Testament authors took the common abbreviated Christogram

ΧΣ

...which is normally written with the " little horn " ( titlo )

and they affixed the letter stigma ϛ, (στίγμα), which is originally a common Greek noun meaning "a mark, dot, puncture", or generally " a sign ",

to the Christogram

ΧΣϛ

...which they then wrote a titlo ( little horn ) over

However ΧΣϛ ( 666 ) does not seem to belong on the list:

God, Lord, Jesus, Christ, Son, Spirit, David, Cross, Mother, Father, Israel, Savior, Man, Jerusalem, and Heaven

...yet it was clearly written as it belongs on this list, as a " sacred name / object "

So did New Testament authors know something we don't ?

I would also raise the question of academic / theological bias, because people are clearly choosing to overlook this, and if you recall the start of this post clearly says:

" For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled "

I'm not so sure this level of scrutinizing is needed. Jesus did not speak Greek so he did not utter the Greek word for "little horn". Since the context is the law probably the spirit of this expression is based on the Hebrew characters not on Greek characters of Greek meanings.

Iota is the smallest Greek letter of the Greek alphabet (which is a single stroke 'Ι') so for Hebrew this would be the Yod י, and keraia (which is more like an apostrophe ’) is this "little horn" image which in Hebrew would be the smallest mark that has significance and probably the sarifs of characters, for example prominient in the Aleph א. (but I don't know what the word sarif is in Hebrew)

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In context, of Hebrews 7, the law that was changed is the Levitical priesthood, ceremonial law. The law of sacrifice fulfilled in the death of the lamb of GOD.

12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Your statement "In other words, we are under a New Covenant with New Commands." does not appear to belong with the verse quoted.
Doesn't matter. The law was changed.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
And yet God said the Aaron and his sons were to have the priesthood FOREVER. Deuteronomy 18:5.

So where are they today seeing as the ceremonial law was completed at the cross with the ultimate sacrifice Jesus Christ.

• Agree
Reactions: listed
Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
So where are they today seeing as the ceremonial law was completed at the cross with the ultimate sacrifice Jesus Christ.

The Cohanim are still identifiable by their Y chromosome.

The temple continued 40 years after Jesus death and the Apostles, even Paul still participated in the services there.

And, according to the prophets, there will be a Temple during the Messianic Era.

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I've just noticed something while studying Greek manuscripts and was wondering if someone can help clear this up for me

It stems from this verse:

Mat 5:18

I look this up in several Greek concordances and it says the following:

Tittle

κεραια keraia {ker-ah'-yah} from a presumed derivative of the base of 2768;; n f AV - tittle 2; 2 1) a little horn 2) extremity, apex, point 2a) used by grammarians of the accents and diacritical points. Jesus used it of the little lines or projections, by which the Hebrew letters in other respects similar differ from one another; the meaning is, Vnot even the minutest part of the law shall perishV.

" lines and projections " in Hebrew would likely be tagin or dagesh , while in Greek this refers to the literary convention of the " titlo "

--------------

Next concordance said:

Tittle

Strong's Concordance
keraia: a little horn
Original Word: κεραία, ας, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: keraia
Phonetic Spelling: (ker-ah'-yah)
Short Definition: an apostrophe
Definition: a little hook, an apostrophe on letters of the alphabet, distinguishing them from other little letters, or a separation stroke between letters.
HELPS Word-studies

2762 keraíaproperly, a little "horn," i.e. " 'a little hook, an apostrophe' on letters of the alphabet, distinguishing them from other like-letters, or a 'separation stroke' between letters" (Souter); a tittle (KJV).

["Tittle" comes from the Latin, titulus – the stroke above an abbreviated word – and later, any small mark.

"In Vay. R. 19 the guilt of altering one of them is pronounced so great that if it were done the world would be destroyed" (so McNeile).]

--------------------

A tittle then is used over sacred names / objects in Greek manuscripts, known as a " nomen sacrum " ( sacred name )
The words themselves are abbreviated
Metzger lists 15 such expressions from Greek papyri: the Greek counterparts of:
God, Lord, Jesus, Christ, Son, Spirit, David, Cross, Mother, Father, Israel, Savior, Man, Jerusalem, and Heaven.
These nomina sacra are all found in Greek manuscripts of the 3rd century and earlier, except Mother, which appears in the 4th So what I am curious about here, is the fact that New Testament authors took the common abbreviated Christogram ΧΣ ...which is normally written with the " little horn " ( titlo )and they affixed the letter stigma ϛ, (στίγμα), which is originally a common Greek noun meaning "a mark, dot, puncture", or generally " a sign ",
to the Christogram ΧΣϛ ...which they then wrote a titlo ( little horn ) over
However ΧΣϛ ( 666 ) does not seem to belong on the list:
God, Lord, Jesus, Christ, Son, Spirit, David, Cross, Mother, Father, Israel, Savior, Man, Jerusalem, and Heaven
...yet it was clearly written as it belongs on this list, as a " sacred name / object "
So did New Testament authors know something we don't ?
I would also raise the question of academic / theological bias, because people are clearly choosing to overlook this, and if you recall the start of this post clearly says:
( note to mods, if this is in the wrong forum, please move it to the appropriate place, thanks :)
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot [G2503 ἰῶτα Hebrew yod] or one tittle [G2762 κεραια] shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Luk 16:17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

G2762 κεραια from G2768 the apex of a Hebrew letter (figuratively the least particle): - tittle. G2503 iota ἰῶτα or a very small part of anything; point, a mark, dot G2762

nomina sacra or A nomen sacrum consists of two or more letters from the original word spanned by an overline. Codex Sinaiticus The work was written in scripta continua with neither breathings nor polytonic accents. Occasional points and few ligatures are used, though nomina sacra with overlines are employed throughout.

The initial system of nomina sacra apparently consisted of just four or five words, called nomina divina: the Greek words for Jesus, Christ, Lord, God, and possibly Spirit. (Jesus Christ) as ΙΗ ΧΡ. Furthermore, early scribes often distinguished between mundane and sacred occurrences of the same word, e.g. a spirit vs. the Spirit, and applied nomina sacra only to the latter (at times necessarily revealing an exegetical choice), although later scribes would mechanically abbreviate all occurrences.

An overline, overscore, or overbar, is a typographical feature of a horizontal line drawn immediately above the text. In mathematical notation, an overline has been used for a long time as a vinculum, a way of showing that certain symbols belong together. Two nomina sacra are highlighted, ΙΥ and ΘΥ,

English Meaning Greek Word Nominative (Subject) Genitive (Possessive)
God

Θεός

ΘΣ

ΘΥ

Lord

Κύριος

ΚΣ

ΚΥ

Jesus

Ἰησοῦς

ΙΣ

ΙΥ

Christ/Messiah

Χριστός

ΧΣ

ΧΥ

Son

Υἱός

ΥΣ

ΥΥ

Spirit/Ghost

Πνεῦμα

ΠΝΑ

ΠΝΣ

• Wikipedia

• Bruce M. Metzger. Manuscripts of the Greek Bible (1981).
  • You can see the inserted picture with the on the overline above the OC which is God:

Attachments

• GOD.jpg
    GOD.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 2
  • GOD.jpg
    GOD.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0

DaveDavids

May 30, 2018
asheville
✟17,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, to really understand where the number 666 comes from you'd have to at the very least be familiar with Akkadian gematria, as well as Akkadian traditions of Exegesis

I'd suggest starting here:

Akkadian Commentaries and Early Hebrew Exegesis

Upvote 0

DaveDavids

May 30, 2018
asheville
✟17,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Further, I will also point out that while a rather large number of people maintain the Bible's various parts ( Torah, Tanakh, New Testament ) have remained unchanged over time, we know this is not the case

Even a cursory reading of the known Greek manuscripts show immense numbers of textual and orthographic variants

The claims the Torah is unaltered and that the Sefer Torah is the same since it's first writing is also not true, as there are several versions of the Torah with different letter counts

There are several different lists of " abnormal letters " in Torah

There are different lists of Rabbati and ze'ira letters

So when the Bible warns against " taking away / changing " from it's scriptures, it's obviously not referring to textual / orthographical variations, because that right there would be enough to be considered " altering " the Bible

What it refers to is proper exegesis, and since the Bible is a priestly text through and through, it cannot be simplified into a Dr Suess book by ignoring 4,000+ years of exegetical traditions strictly maintained by a line of priest-kings

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

The temple continued 40 years after Jesus death and the Apostles, even Paul still participated in the services there.

And, according to the prophets, there will be a Temple during the Messianic Era.
Well your response sounds impressive. I don't understand what it has to do with the post you quoted or the topic.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
God tells Peter to eat unclean animals (Which is a violation of OT Law)
You need to read Peters understanding of the vision not what you want it to say
Acts 10:28
And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Sorry Steve you are mistaken in your understanding. There is a temple now in Heaven where Jesus Christ is ministering as our High Priest on our behalf in the Holy of Holies.
Exodus 25:8-9 King James Version (KJV)
8 And let them make me a sanctuary; that I may dwell among them.

9 According to all that I shew thee, after the pattern of the tabernacle, and the pattern of all the instruments thereof, even so shall ye make it.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sorry Steve you are mistaken in your understanding. There is a temple now in Heaven where Jesus Christ is ministering as our High Priest on our behalf in the Holy of Holies.

9 According to all that I shew thee, after the pattern of the tabernacle, and the pattern of all the instruments thereof, even so shall ye make it.

There has always been a Temple in heaven. The tabernacle was made after its pattern. Heavenly and earthly temples can exist at the same time because they are serve different purposes.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

I realize the vision had a spiritual aspect and message regarding the Gentiles. This is not news for me. But God was also telling him to not eat unclean animals too. For both Jesus and Paul confirm that we can eat what we want now.

Jesus says,
"Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man" (Matthew 15:11).

Paul says,
1 "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer."
(1 Timothy 4:1-5).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
begin quote
end quote
So we should ignore what the passage literally says and blindly accept your interpretation? Nowhere in the entire passage is "man" mentioned? Paul seems to believe that Jesus included food when He told Peter not to call anything unclean that He had cleansed.
Rom 14:2-6
(2) For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
(3) Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
(4) Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
(5) One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
(6) He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
At the Jerusalem council the church leaders decided on four requirements for gentiles Christians. It is repeated three times and dietary restrictions are not included.
Act 15:19-20
(19) Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
(20) But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
Act 15:28-29
(28) For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
(29) That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
Act 21:25
(25) As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.
Rom 14:14-15
(14) I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
(15) But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.
1Co 10:25-27
(25) Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience,
(26) for, "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it."
(27) If an unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: listed
Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Did Peter eat non kosher foods?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Jesus is sitting at the right hand of God the Father. Jesus isn't in some religious edifice.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There has always been a Temple in heaven. The tabernacle was made after its pattern. Heavenly and earthly temples can exist at the same time because they are serve different purposes.
I think you're mistaken here. What Moses saw was a vision. It wasn't heaven.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think you're mistaken here. What Moses saw was a vision. It wasn't heaven.

Hebrews 8:5 They serve at a sanctuary that is a copy and shadow of what is in heaven. This is why Moses was warned when he was about to build the tabernacle: "See to it that you make everything according to the pattern shown you on the mountain."

Upvote 0

DaveDavids

May 30, 2018
asheville
✟17,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"See to it that you make everything according to the pattern shown you on the mountain."

Good verse you posted there :)

" mark " ( of the beast )

χαραγμα charagma {khar'-ag-mah}; TDNT - 9:416,1308; n n AV - mark 8, graven 1; 9 1) a stamp, an imprinted mark 1a) of the mark stamped on the forehead or the right hand as the badge of the followers of the Antichrist 1b) the mark branded upon horses 2) thing carved, sculpture, graven work 2a) of idolatrous images

from the same as 5482

χαραξ charax {khar'-ax} from charasso ;; n m AV - trench 1; 1 1) a pale or stake, a palisade 2) a palisade or rampart 2a) pales between which earth, stones, trees, and timbers are heaped and packed together

(to sharpen to a point, akin to 1125 through the idea of scratching / engraving ):

γραφω grapho {graf'-o} a root word; TDNT - 1:742,128; v AV - write 206, writing 1, describe 1, vr write 1; 209 1) to write, with reference to the form of the letters 1a) to delineate (or form) letters on a tablet, parchment, paper, or other material 2) to write, with reference to the contents of the writing 2a) to express in written characters 2b) to commit to writing (things not to be forgotten), write down, record 2c) used of those things which stand written in the sacred books (of the OT) 2d) to write to one, i.e. by writing (in a written epistle) to give information, directions 3) to fill with writing 4) to draw up in writing, compose

Now we turn to the Tanakh :)

Exo 25:9 " According to all that I shew thee, after the pattern of the tabernacle, and the pattern of all the instruments thereof, even so shall ye make it "

תבנית tabniyth {tab-neeth'}; TWOT - 255d; n f AV - pattern 9, likeness 5, form 3, similitude 2, figure 1; 20 1) pattern, plan, form, construction, figure 1a) construction, structure 1a1) meaning dubious 1b) pattern 1c) figure, image (of idols)

from 01129

בנה banah {baw-naw'} a primitive root; TWOT - 255; v AV - build 340, build up 14, builder 10, made 3, built again + 08735 2, repair 2, set up 2, have children + 08735 1, obtain children + 08735 1, surely 1 (inf. for emphasis); 376 1) to build, rebuild, establish, cause to continue 1a) (Qal) 1a1) to build, rebuild 1a2) to build a house (ie, establish a family) 1b) (Niphal) 1b1) to be built 1b2) to be rebuilt 1b3) established (of restored exiles) (fig.) 1b4) established (made permanent) 1b5) to be built up (of childless wife becoming the mother of a family through the children of a concubine)

Now back to the New Testament :)

Heb 8:5 " Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount. "

υπος tupos {too'-pos} from 5180; TDNT - 8:246,1193; n m AV - ensample 5, print 2, figure 2, example 2, pattern 2, fashion 1, manner 1, form 1; 16 1) the mark of a stroke or blow, print 2) a figure formed by a blow or impression 2a) of a figure or image 2b) of the image of the gods 3) form 3a) the teaching which embodies the sum and substance of religion and represents it to the mind, manner of writing, the contents and form of a letter 4) an example 4a) in the technical sense, the pattern in conformity to which a thing must be made 4b) in an ethical sense, a dissuasive example, a pattern of warning 4b1) of ruinous events which serve as admonitions or warnings to others 4c) an example to be imitated 4c1) of men worthy of imitation 4d) in a doctrinal sense 4d1) of a type i.e. a person or thing prefiguring a future (Messianic) person or thing

χαραγμα charagma - " mark " ( of the beast )
υπος tupos " pattern / mark " ( of the Tabernacle )

Upvote 0

DaveDavids

May 30, 2018
asheville
✟17,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We first find a " little horn " mentioned in the Book of Daniel

" I considered the horns, and behold, there came up among them another horn, a little one, before which three of the first horns were plucked up by the roots. And behold, in this horn were eyes like the eyes of a man, and a mouth speaking great things "

קרן qeren (Aramaic) {keh'-ren} ; TWOT - 2980; n f AV - horn 10, cornet 4; 14 1) horn 1a) as musical instrument 1b) symbolic (in visions) 1c) of an animal

corresponding to 07161

קרן qeren {keh'-ren} ; TWOT - 2072a AV - horn 75, hill 1; 76 n f 1) horn 1a) horn 1b) of strength (fig) 1c) flask (container for oil) 1d) horn (as musical instrument) 1e) horn (of horn-like projections on the altar) 1f) of rays of light 1g) hill n pr loc (BDB) 2) a place conquered by Israel probably in Bashan

from 07160

קרן qaran {kaw-ran'} a primitive root; TWOT - 2072; v AV - shine 3, has horns 1; 4 1) to shine 1a) (Qal) to send out rays 1b) (Hiphil) to display or grow horns, be horned

Most serious Bible students are familiar with " horns " as a sort for metaphorical representation of leadership / strength

I'm pretty sure most of us have seen the statues / paintings of Moses with horns / rays of light coming from his head.......

However, this is drawn from earlier traditions....

Let's examine the Sumerian-Akkadian-Babylonian cognates :)

Sumerian - si
Akkadian - qarnu , ubānu

[HORN] (262x: ED IIIa, ED IIIb, Old Akkadian, Lagash II, Ur III, Early Old Babylonian, Old Babylonian, Middle Babylonian, unknown) wr. si "horn; finger; fret ( of an instrument )"

So, we have

Pre-Biblical texts - Cuneiform - qarnu
Old Testament - Hebrew - qeren
New Testament - Greek - keras

Everybody following so far ?

Upvote 0