Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'm not really liking my new computer that much. It's hard to explain. I'm thinking about selling the following to a family member, since it has no physical defects that I'm aware of and has a 1 year warranty, it just is what it is:

I5-7600K, 8GB RAM, 7200 RPM hard drive, GT 730 Fermi graphics card desktop with mouse and keyboard
22" LCD 1600x900 monitor
Sound Blast Omni external sound card
Sony 10 watt speaker
Wireless internet USB for Wifi

For $700 cash, and starting over with a new computer system. Custom built to my liking, though on a limited budget.

Thoughts?

What I would purchase instead if it meets the budget:

Probably an AMD desktop APU or Core i5 Kaby Lake crammed in a little M350 case, 8-16GB RAM, maybe run Ubuntu since it's cheaper, SSD, nice motherboard with good audio, 25" monitor with 10 watt speakers built in.

Saint Beloved

Site Supporter
May 10, 2017
uk
✟62,522.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not really liking my new computer that much. It's hard to explain. I'm thinking about selling the following to a family member, since it has no physical defects that I'm aware of and has a 1 year warranty, it just is what it is:

I5-7600K, 8GB RAM, 7200 RPM hard drive, GT 730 Fermi graphics card desktop with mouse and keyboard
22" LCD 1600x900 monitor
Sound Blast Omni external sound card
Sony 10 watt speaker
Wireless internet USB for Wifi

For $700 cash, and starting over with a new computer system. Custom built to my liking, though on a limited budget.

Thoughts?

What I would purchase instead if it meets the budget:

Probably an AMD desktop APU or Core i5 Kaby Lake crammed in a little M350 case, 8-16GB RAM, maybe run Ubuntu since it's cheaper, SSD, nice motherboard with good audio, 25" monitor with 10 watt speakers built in.

How do you know you won't tire of that as quickly as your current one?

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
How do you know you won't tire of that as quickly as your current one?

Well, I did have another M350 computer once and still have it and like it. It's just a little slow, the one I have.

Very nice case and just the right size.

The situation was bad with this i5-7600K PC as I had to use a Gamestop credit card to finance it, so I didn't have a wide selection of PCs available to choose from.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I just look at the size of it and how it takes the whole desk and I have nowhere for it and the size and lack of sturdiness of the case to the i5-7600K computer makes me feel uncomfortable. And then I think, for a few bucks more, maybe I could have a PC with the same power in one-tenth the size.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I just look at the size of it and how it takes the whole desk and I have nowhere for it and the size and lack of sturdiness of the case to the i5-7600K computer makes me feel uncomfortable. And then I think, for a few bucks more, maybe I could have a PC with the same power in one-tenth the size.

Be careful if you're going smaller. As a general rule, in smaller PCs (i.e.laptops, small case desktops and all-in-ones) the processors are slower in order to minimise heat output. Smaller machines have more difficulty shedding heat. An i5 in a full size desktop will be run faster than a similar i5 in a laptop. Before you buy check the processor speed.

Note that some laptops use 'turbo charged" processors where the processor speed will automatically ramp up from (say) 2.4 Ghz to (say) 3.6Ghz as needed. Overheating can be a problem if its constantly run at higher speeds.

One last thought. I've come across many complaints about "slow" pcs where the actual problem is not the PC but the speed of the external internet connection or WiFis overcrowded with multiple users. If you tend to use the PC as an internet browser any machine will do - your PC will not fix a slow connection. If gaming is your thing then you're better off with a full size desktop running a fast high level processor (like an i5 or i7), a good graphics card and (at most) 8 gb of RAM.

OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums