Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together!

I attend church

• twice on Sunday

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • every Sunday

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • almost every Sunday

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • rarely

• just on Christmas and Easter

• never

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • other (and I will explain)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
No, when I posted CF I meant Baptists on CF. I'm answering on my cell phone. But, I did intentionally post more links showing the likelihood of low church attendance of Baptists on CF.
Okay. So then you still have an unfounded assertion, even if it's possible.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Okay. So then you still have an unfounded assertion, even if it's possible.

It's still more likely than what you proposed Hammy. That's the point. My reasoning, based on given data of Christians in general, is still more likely and therefore more possible than what you put forward.

Brother, we have a lot in common and I don't feel this ping pong game is getting us anywhere. It's probably driving a wedge between us. Forgive me, and please forgive me for backing out of the convo. I don't want the argument to get too heated or out of hand.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

Peter Johnson

Royal Priest
Oct 2, 2010
Newcastle, Australia
✟7,976.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 10:24-25 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

Meeting at 'the church' on Sundays can be over-rated if one's heart is not inclined toward the Lord, his people and doing his will all the time.
I like to meet with as many believers as I can during the week, mostly one-to-one at a café. I think it I would have received and given more encouragement in living the life and faith and understanding the Word in those situations, where love is encouraged and challenges brought, than at any Sunday 'worship' service.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
It's not heated on my end.

How is your view more likely?

I used stats on church attendence to base my conclusion. You referenced...? what you thought?

It doesn't matter. I don't care, really.

Love ya brother. Take care of yourself.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I used stats on church attendence to base my conclusion. You referenced...? what you thought?

It doesn't matter. I don't care, really.

Love ya brother. Take care of yourself.
If you didn't care, you wouldn't be trying to get the last word in. :)

Upvote 0

HantsUK

Oct 27, 2009
Hampshire, England
✟215,835.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
My suspicion was confirmed in a different thread started in the Baptist Forum.

A poster wrote, "It seems that about 2/3 of members are in-active! ("15.7 million members and 5.8 million Sunday worshipers" reported)."

Using that kind of data we could easily deduced that many posters on CF do not worship on Sunday.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

As the poster who made this comment/observation, I was very surprised to see the official membership being 3x Sunday attendance.

There are many valid reasons for people not attending every Sunday: illness, house bound, working (in the UK many more people have to work evenings and weekends than a few decades ago), away for the weekend (in my town most people have moved here for work, so go away at weekends to visit family), holiday (in the UK we have more holiday than 50 years ago, so will be missing on more Sundays), business travel. Then there are reasons due to commitment: there are many more activities that take place on Sundays that compete with church attendance (sport, shopping, recovering from a stressful week, etc).

However, I would be very surprised if this could explain membership being 3 x Sunday attendance. It could be that 2/3 of members never attend. Or that members on average only attend 1 in 3 Sundays. Most likely, somewhere in-between. But since I would expect a significant proportion of people in church to be non-members, it makes these figures even worse!

I think JM's survey is missing an important category between 'almost every Sunday' and 'rarely', which is '1-3 times a month'. From memory, stats for England show that most people who attend more than once or twice a year actually attend at least monthly. I wouldn't call this 'rarely'.

I would expect a healthy church to have people who are (not yet) members. I presume the figures for Sunday attendance would include children, who would not be members in a Baptist church (well, not in England). I would also expect there will be folk who are not (yet) very committed and come just occasionally. This is only a problem if these people are still as UN-committed in ten years time!

In my church, typical Sunday attendance is a little higher than our membership (which is fairly common for English Baptist churches). And that is despite a moderate number of regular members being away any given Sunday. I'm away about 1 in 4 Sundays (but will almost always be in a another church when away). We also have a large 'fringe' who come once or twice a month. And yes, this does make it difficult to notice if someone is missing.

However, church attendance in the USA is still much higher than the UK. In England, about 5-7% attend church on a Sunday. If it was not for immigration, particularly from Africa and the West Indies, this would be even lower.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HantsUK

Oct 27, 2009
Hampshire, England
✟215,835.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Thanks Hants for the insight. That was helpful.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
PS: It's Jay Em, not Him. hehe

Opps - now corrected.

Also meant to say the links you gave in #13 were very interesting

A few articles worth reading.

Less than 20% attend church

2.7 mil church members fall into inactivity

Have Baptist churches become "mainline" explaining their decline?

It is my opinion, and you can disagree if you like, but I believe that posters on CF are probably not exempt from the facts and figures in the articles above.

Just my opinion.

jm

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0