Non-Religious Arguments Against Same-Sex Marriage

• Thread starter pantless rationalist
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pantless rationalist

Most people wouldn't let society tell them to marry a person if they didn't want to.
I don't know...a quick google search begs to differ. It is a pretty widespread phenomenon, especially in religious communities (followers of Mormonism, for example).

Please don't make claims regarding things which you know little about.

Upvote 0

angellica

Jul 11, 2008
Memphis
✟8,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't know...a quick google search begs to differ. It is a pretty widespread phenomenon, especially in religious communities (followers of Mormonism, for example).

That's why I said most people, not all. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

angellica

Jul 11, 2008
Memphis
✟8,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I wasn't aware the infertile couples sometimes have kids.
Seriously, did you not understand what I meant? Or are you just being sarcastic? I can try to explain it better if you really don't understand, but if you're being sarcastic then I don't wanna waste the time, so just let me know. Thanks.

Upvote 0
B

BigBadWlf

To BigBadwlf,
No my argument is based on fertility because fertility is malfunction, my argument is based on dysfunction of same sex couples.

Of course the orientation is irrelevant to conception that’s why same sex unions are dysfunctional.

No your argument (such as it is) is clear, you just want it to apply only to minorities you wish to force others to discriminate against.

You claim that the inability to biologically reproduce is a “dysfunction” and that such a is justification for discrimination but somehow this discrimination because of “dysfunction” should only be applied to minorities

Why should people have rights for dysfunctional things?
That is the topic of this thread. So far no one has presented a reason to deny a minority equality and equal protection outside of old fashioned bigotry.

Once again, why does the right to hate trump the rights of minorities to have equal rights and have equal protections under the law?

Upvote 0

angellica

Jul 11, 2008
Memphis
✟8,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This doesn't make sense since minority groups aren't a majority, i.e., most people. I'm at a loss for the reasoning here but maybe I missed something during the discussion.
Nowhere in your Google search does it say that the majority of people who are married are a gay man married to a straight woman. That's why I said most people, but not all.

Upvote 0
B

Braunwyn

Nowhere in your Google search does it say that the majority of people who are married are a gay man married to a straight woman. That's why I said most people, but not all.
I didn't google anything, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. You're inability to grasp the obvious aside, it's simply impossible for a minority to ever cover the ground of the majority. Any activity by a minority will remain within the minority. From there you can speak of the behavior of a majority of homosexuals (IRT gays marrying straight folk) but such an endeavor will actually require effort, so the conversation probably stops here.

Upvote 0

angellica

Jul 11, 2008
Memphis
✟8,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I didn't google anything, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. You're inability to grasp the obvious aside, it's simply impossible for a minority to ever cover the ground of the majority. Any activity by a minority will remain within the minority. From there you can speak of the behavior of a majority of homosexuals (IRT gays marrying straight folk) but such an endeavor will actually require effort, so the conversation probably stops here.
Sorry, I was thinking of a different person. I'm not sure what the obvious thing that I'm failing to grasp is...? I wasn't actually talking about the majority of gays, but rather the majority of people in general, so that may be where the confusion is.

Upvote 0
B

Braunwyn

Sorry, I was thinking of a different person. I'm not sure what the obvious thing that I'm failing to grasp is...? I wasn't actually talking about the majority of gays, but rather the majority of people in general, so that may be where the confusion is.
Um, here is the post you responded to and your response.

Originally Posted by selfinflikted
It has nothing to do with any "arm twisting" but everything to do with the rest of society pressuring gays to conform to their standards. I would think that would be a bit obvious.
Most people wouldn't let society tell them to marry a person if they didn't want to.

Upvote 0

angellica

Jul 11, 2008
Memphis
✟8,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Um, here is the post you responded to and your response.
Ahh, I see what you mean. Although it wasn't emphasized in the original post. When I responded, I was referring to the majority of people in general, not just gays but I see how you could think I meant gays.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
B

Braunwyn

Ahh, I see what you mean. Although it wasn't emphasized in the original post. When I responded, I was referring to the majority of people in general, not just gays but I see how you could think I meant gays.
Ok, although you have me dizzy once again. I should know better than to actually follow conversations on CF. I, for one, can't figure them out a majority of the time.

Upvote 0

ShieldOFaith

Aug 18, 2007
✟3,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

edit

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

WatersMoon110

To See with Eyes Unclouded by Hate
May 30, 2007
Ohio
✟21,255.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
HOW can you compare the fact that homosexuals can't have kids and an infertile couple can't have kids??? A homosexual relationship NEVER produces kids. It is biologically impossible. With an infertile couple, either one or both of the people involved has a medical problem that prevents them from being able to have kids. Please be respectful of infertile couples out there and don't compare them to a gay couple because those are two very different situations.
It is only disrespectful if one thinks that being a homosexual couple is a negative. If one doesn't believe that homosexuality (or infertility) is sinful, then there is no disrespect in comparing the two.

Admin Note - Thread has been split. Next portion of the thread can be found here. http://www.christianforums.com/t7378254/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: selfinflikted
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.