Toronto
✟32,827.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like Peter. I like that God chose to use him. He made multiple errors. Refused foot washing, wanted Jesus to wash him entirely :) Denied Jesus 3 times. Defended Jesus cutting off someones ear. Tried to beg Jesus not to talk about dying. But humble, innocent, devoted.

We can learn a lot from the stories of him in the Bible. It has helped teach me not to self condemn. Jesus valued a heart like Peter's enough to use Him so strongly. Even though Peter erred from time to time. How humble he was to be corrected too. Both by Jesus and Paul <3

Amen Sam, well put and I agree.........we are not ethereal creatures floating around with halos and this is the very reason we need to have our feet washed. The bible makes no bones of showing the very real faults and mistakes of very real people......of all the saints, the priesthood of all believers. Even Moses. I'm so glad the Lord is patient and longsuffering, or where would I be? Sunk! in mire! I've stepped in some goo along the way, unfortunately, but thankfully the Lord was faithful to lead me out of it.

But just so nobody misunderstands, there are often consequences to our mistakes, so we sincerely seek not to make any, with the help of the Lord. Moses for example, was not able to enter the Promised Land because of his error. But IF we do err.......thankfully we have an Advocate with the Father.............praise the Lord.

• Winner
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Amen Sam, well put and I agree.........we are not ethereal creatures floating around with halos and this is the very reason we need to have our feet washed. The bible makes no bones of showing the very real faults and mistakes of very real people......of all the saints, the priesthood of all believers. Even Moses. I'm so glad the Lord is patient and longsuffering, or where would I be? Sunk! in mire! I've stepped in some goo along the way, unfortunately, but thankfully the Lord was faithful to lead me out of it.

But just so nobody misunderstands, there are often consequences to our mistakes, so we sincerely seek not to make any, with the help of the Lord. Moses for example, was not able to enter the Promised Land because of his error. But IF we do err.......thankfully we have an Advocate with the Father.............praise the Lord.
Galations, where it says that we reap what we sow. This applies to the consequence of sin, our thought life, all our actions. The bit before that. 'Rest assured, God can not be mocked' this reassures me too that even when we repent there will nearly always be a consequence on Earth for our sin. Whether, private or publicly. Physical or mental, emotional, spiritual. That comes to mind.

Upvote 0

HeLeadethMe

Apr 27, 2017
Toronto
✟32,827.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Galations, where it says that we reap what we sow. This applies to the consequence of sin, our thought life, all our actions. The bit before that. 'Rest assured, God can not be mocked' this reassures me too that even when we repent there will nearly always be a consequence on Earth for our sin. Whether, private or personal. Physical or mental, emotional, spiritual. That comes to mind.

His rod and His staff, they comfort me. As long we don't refuse correction, which we all need often along the way, He will be faithful to lead us safely home.

The sad part is seeing how many will not allow themselves to be corrected by the clear words of scripture, like they have too much invested in what they currently believe, maybe pride being the most common one, which most of us struggle with at times I believe. But blessed are those........who have nothing to lose.........like the men who surrounded David before he became king, they all had nothing to lose in this life.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
His rod and His staff, they comfort me. As long we don't refuse correction, which we all need often along the way, He will be faithful to lead us safely home.

The sad part is seeing how many will not allow themselves to be corrected by the clear words of scripture, like they have too much invested in what they currently believe, maybe pride being the most common one, which most of us struggle with at times I believe. But blessed are those........who have nothing to lose.........like the men who surrounded David before he became king, they all had nothing to lose in this life.
And the beatitudes. It's those who are stuggling it seems who are most blessed because in those moments you draw closest to the Lord and knowledge becomes a reality. Then it is easy to live the way we should as circumstances have gotten rid of pride, riches. We lay our hearts bare before the throne of God.

Upvote 0

HeLeadethMe

Apr 27, 2017
Toronto
✟32,827.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And the beatitudes. It's those who are stuggling it seems who are most blessed because in those moments you draw closest to the Lord and knowledge becomes a reality. Then it is easy to live the way we should as circumstances have gotten rid of pride, riches. We lay our hearts bare before the throne of God.

:) Amen, such precious truth there.......blessed are you who mourn now.......blessed are the poor in spirit. How precious is the Lord and His truth, and a delight to see it expressed in His people. May the Lord bless you Sam.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
:) Amen, such precious truth there.......blessed are you who mourn now.......blessed are the poor in spirit. How precious is the Lord and His truth, and a delight to see it expressed in His people. May the Lord bless you Sam.
It was something He taught me this morning. Turned head knowledge to heart truth. A glorious reality. Praise Him! <3 Bless you. I didn't realise I'd spoken so transparently.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟60,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Was on another thread about denominations and was going to post what I wrote below but realised it would be off topic so guess I'm starting a thread.
Is anyone else non-denominational but attending a denominational church? What makes you so?

I think all denominations probably have it wrong. I don't see any of us living the life of the early church. I think we are all of the world too much and we should all gear ourselves towards becoming more active in the community, spreading the gospel, helping each other more and actually serving. Those who can. Those who can't should be doing what they can... prayer is an important ministry too.

I think its time we should all be measuring ourselves against scripture and walking the way Jesus said. The money we have been given from God for example, we should start thinking how we can put it to God's service instead of our own. This is what I feel is important, not denominations, not debating creation etc.

I'm not there yet but making changes to go in that direction. I think as soon as I have means to be child free sometimes I plan to use it immediately to get into some way of service.
I agree there are churches in every denomination that have it wrong... but there are a good amount of churches in every denomination that are going by what the first church went by as well. We should be optimistic and believe jesusbwhen he tells us the gates of hell will not prevail against his church. There are good churches doing things right even today just have to look

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Wrong.
Oh, dear brother, I'm sad to see how deluded this is........just taking a tiny peek into the history of the Catholic church will reveal some of the most heinous, pathological crimes committed not only in the name of the church but in the name of Christ. They make even the heathen look righteous.......and that's just what scripture says, when God's people turn away from Him, they become worse than the heathen.

And as I was pointing out........she's not so holy is she. It's very far from a case of one or two bad apples in the barrel......it's what you call a systemic problem. And just like in the natural realm when a body is racked with a systemic infection it means death. Unless the patient consents to receiving a very strong and immediate course of antibiotics. But I'm sorry to say, when a church gets this bad, it's because God has given her over to it, and the patient constantly refuses the only thing that can help her......the washing of the water of the Word.

Peter.......who had to be opposed to his face and corrected by Paul. Guess he wasn't so infallible then was he. There is a terrible lot of misunderstanding of scripture and taking things too far......and it is happening increasingly in the protestant world too.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Was on another thread about denominations and was going to post what I wrote below but realised it would be off topic so guess I'm starting a thread.
Is anyone else non-denominational but attending a denominational church? What makes you so?

I think all denominations probably have it wrong. I don't see any of us living the life of the early church. I think we are all of the world too much and we should all gear ourselves towards becoming more active in the community, spreading the gospel, helping each other more and actually serving. Those who can. Those who can't should be doing what they can... prayer is an important ministry too.

I think its time we should all be measuring ourselves against scripture and walking the way Jesus said. The money we have been given from God for example, we should start thinking how we can put it to God's service instead of our own. This is what I feel is important, not denominations, not debating creation etc.

I'm not there yet but making changes to go in that direction. I think as soon as I have means to be child free sometimes I plan to use it immediately to get into some way of service.
Have you yourself struggled with the issues that denominations are divided about and formed your own opinion? Or are you theologically lazy, choosing milk over meat? This is what I think most non-denominationalists are, but I don't want to box you in without asking.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@openheart I go to a baptist church. Haven't got to see if all there teaching matches up to the bible. Went to a Pentecostal church before. I've been to Anglo catholic/, church of England, methodist, morman, methodist, united reformed church, pentecostal, Church of Scotland x3 then Pentecostal... now Baptist. I haven't agreed on all points with any church yet. But have gone to worship and fellowship and be part of the church community as fellowship is essential. I weigh up every sermon with the bible.

A lot of those Churches was as a child going off to Church on my own whenever there was a Church close enough to go to. Moved around a lot. Spent 15 years in the wilderness trying to come back to the Lord but never feeling like he would have me back cos I knowingly chose to smoke cigarettes over my love for Him.

I am only non- denominational because I believe my loyalty is to Christ first then His Church and that just because someone is a different denomination they are my brothers.
This thread was to give me an idea what non-denominational means to others seeing as there are a lot of non denominational churches cropping up... never knew until last yr that there was such a thing and a lot of people put non denom as there titles.

As for doctrinally lazy? Maybe. Bible lazy not so much. I read it as much chance as i get, Im only happy if I have read it a few times in a day and listened to a bit of audiobible or a sermon. I cant acheive that often but it is at least pick up twice daily most days.

As for doctrine after seeing and experiencing so many different opinions in my child hood I prefer to trust only what I gain through the Holy Spirit while reading. I will check commentaries if I think something which i might be inferring or think there's more to it. But will google check them and check a variety of commentaries and see if they have a consensus or if it is speculation.

You decide. I'm not into just trusting what I am told. .... ooo that ended up long...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

the old scribe

old scribe
Supporter
May 13, 2017
Arlington, TX
✟89,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I consider myself to follow Christ, who was non-denominational. For those who can't live without labels, I tell them I'm charismatic. In my opinion it was the religious or egotistical people of Jesus time who cared about doctrinal differences, I.E. Pharisees and Sadducees. I think it shows where someone is in their walk when they can only see you for your denomination or doctrines, rather than who God made you to be. In my opinion, they aren't really following Christ, but rather, a doctrine,idea,philosophy, religion, person, tradition,etc. Some people just like being right, I think it's just the flesh rearing it's head again and again. But hey, that's just my opinion.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Senkaku, are you a disputed island? – separated from something?

Is your allegiance yet to be determined?

Tanz Zwo Drei Vier Songtext = Dance Two Three Four
This is a song about the German clubs
This is a song about the dark
This is a song for everyone who stomps
The bass is pounding deep and hard
This is a song for all my dirtygrrrls
This is a song for all the freaks
This is a song about the underground
This is the time to be extreme

And I say:

Tanz, Zwo, Drei, Vier
This is a song for all the rivetheads
This is a song to make your move
This is a song about distorted beats
This song's officially approved
This is a song for all my dirtybois
This is a song for all the freaks
This is a song about the prime time floors
This is the time to be extreme

Salutiert = Salutes
Marschiert = Marches
Exerziert = Wars
Präsentiert = Presents
Tanz, Zwo, Drei, Vier = Dance Two Three Four

---------------------------------------------------------------
Can you sing and dance this before the altar of the LORD?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You posted, “that’s just my opinion.”

I think everyone likes being right. It is part of the natural man. However, true believers have the Holy Ghost to contend with. He demands humility.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
About labels as with denominational labels – It is simple.

Sanctification produces fruit. All who produce fruit will love one another.

All who do not produce fruit will love their religion or denomination.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, labels are ways of conveying a larger amount of information with a single term. This helps in understanding each other and communicating ideas.

Labels are not evil unless all the red labels gang up on the yellow labels. This is the part of denominations you despise. Saying you follow Christ and not a denomination is a label. It helps in understanding where you have been and where you want to go.

The labels each believer uses to understand their faith is precious because the doctrine is the only rational way there is to understand the miraculous change that is consuming the old life and creating the new life.

Saying you are charismatic helps me to relate to you – the label works.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is just as you posted, it is when these labels become the doctrines we love rather than Christ we love that the love of one another collapses. And here is the fix for that. Labels are not the problem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me tell a tale without the feelings or what happens spiritually.

If you and I go into the throne room of YHWH - each of us will be on our face.

When we leave this throne room there will be no differences between us.

We are now in complete harmony and love for the other.

The longer we go before returning to the throne room of YHWH

the greater will be our differences.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you see the problem?

And this is not just my opinion!

Upvote 0

the old scribe

old scribe
Supporter
May 13, 2017
Arlington, TX
✟89,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@openheart I go to a baptist church. Haven't got to see if all there teaching matches up to the bible. Went to a Pentecostal church before. I've been to Anglo catholic/, church of England, methodist, morman, methodist, united reformed church, pentecostal, Church of Scotland x3 then Pentecostal... now Baptist. I haven't agreed on all points with any church yet. But have gone to worship and fellowship and be part of the church community as fellowship is essential. I weigh up every sermon with the bible.

A lot of those Churches was as a child going off to Church on my own whenever there was a Church close enough to go to. Moved around a lot. Spent 15 years in the wilderness trying to come back to the Lord but never feeling like he would have me back cos I knowingly chose to smoke cigarettes over my love for Him.

I am only non- denominational because I believe my loyalty is to Christ first then His Church and that just because someone is a different denomination they are my brothers.
This thread was to give me an idea what non-denominational means to others seeing as there are a lot of non denominational churches cropping up... never knew until last yr that there was such a thing and a lot of people put non denom as there titles.

As for doctrinally lazy? Maybe. Bible lazy not so much. I read it as much chance as i get, Im only happy if I have read it a few times in a day and listened to a bit of audiobible or a sermon. I cant acheive that often but it is at least pick up twice daily most days.

As for doctrine after seeing and experiencing so many different opinions in my child hood I prefer to trust only what I gain through the Holy Spirit while reading. I will check commentaries if I think something which i might be inferring or think there's more to it. But will google check them and check a variety of commentaries and see if they have a consensus or if it is speculation.

You decide. I'm not into just trusting what I am told. .... ooo that ended up long...

Sam91,
I must say, yours has been a tough road. May your diligence be your blessing.
I suggest that "How blessed are those who are hungry and thirsty for righteousness, because it is they who will be satisfied!" must apply to you.

My respective for what it is worth is that agreeing with all the teachings by the minister or agreeing with the official doctrines of the denomination are only a secondary concern. For my knowledge and experience the better you are at Bible study the more issues you will have with what others believe. This is an issue with all Bible scholars I have known. They must practice humility in their congregations.

As an insight may I point you to the last post of mine before this one and the section "Let me tell a tale without the feelings or what happens spiritually."

Praise, worship, fellowship, and service are primary to the Christian Life - not doctrine. Your doctrine does not enter into the heavenly record as qualifying for rewards for your works - no stars in the crown for doctrine.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

the old scribe

old scribe
Supporter
May 13, 2017
Arlington, TX
✟89,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you yourself struggled with the issues that denominations are divided about and formed your own opinion? Or are you theologically lazy, choosing milk over meat? This is what I think most non-denominationalists are, but I don't want to box you in without asking.

Open Heart, the Hebrew Catholic,

Non denominationalists do not fit into a mold anymore than any other group. I have previously posted a short exploration of this term and who and how it is applied. If I am generalizing about non denominationalists it would be essentially about the quotes you include at the bottom of your posts:
"It is unthinkable that she [the Church] would claim to replace Israel. She is not another Israel"
Cardinal Lustiger
“God never abandoned his covenant with Israel"
Pope Francis

Most non denominational congregations are pastored by graduates of seminaries that were founded solely on the issue that all the covenants with Israel remain in force and will be fulfilled in the future under a new dispensation. These seminaries teach the current Church is under a different dispensation.

Historically, from the earliest writings of the Church until 1830 every relative document supported supersessionism. This includes all Catholic and Orthodox sees and Protestants before 1830.

I appreciate the quotes on your post since I was completely unaware that Catholic doctrine had changed on this issue to agree with John Darby, a Plymouth Brethren, and all Protestant premillennial dispensationalist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I appreciate the quotes on your post since I was completely unaware that Catholic doctrine had changed on this issue to agree with John Darby, a Plymouth Brethren, and all Protestant premillennial dispensationalist.
Truly exciting things are going on in the Catholic Church regarding her rethinking of Israel, its covenant, its ongoing mission, our own Jewish roots as Christians, and the unfolding of a non-supersessionist Torah-Christology and Israel-Ecclesiology.

The defining point of this change is the Vatican 2 document Nostra Aetate, part 4. It's great reading, and very short, but very pregnant--it is still unfolding even now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blade

Veteran
Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟629,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree we are nothing like they were at the start. They prayed always 24/7 and in the spirit. We can read where the Holy Spriit even spoke "He said" so forth so on. We really took a step back wards. Well take when Peter was in jail. They were praying for him. Angel comes sets him free. Peter goes back and knocks on the door. Now.. when was the last time someone knocked on the door and your 1st thought was "oh its just so and so's angel"?

Yeah.. that what they said. No questioning it. That was NORMAL. They seen the good in others 1st. They asked them that said "thus says the lord" who are you? Who knows you? How long have you walked in what you preach/teach? Then they would go pray. So because they had debates now and then..makes them like us or us like them. There were 120 of them praying AS ONE! Doing that alone do we? They all got filled with the holy Spirit. Right there is where the BRAKES come on. Some many will not believe..

So.. yes there are many tents but one camp. So many parts to ONE body. To many knowing that other hand? yeah.. it keeps doing things it should never do.. its not like the rest of us..hehe. As if YOU or I had a say in this. Its HIS body. He is the head. We need each other. Its not a easy step to realise we dont have the 100% truth. That is NOT about ME ME ME. But everyone else.

John 3 16 Rom 10 9-10. Believe this? PRAISE GOD GLORY TO JESUS!

Upvote 0