Non denominational?

writewords

Meant for ministry. Gloria in excelsis Deo.
Feb 24, 2017
Missouri
✟34,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
Was on another thread about denominations and was going to post what I wrote below but realised it would be off topic so guess I'm starting a thread.
Is anyone else non-denominational but attending a denominational church? What makes you so?

I think all denominations probably have it wrong. I don't see any of us living the life of the early church. I think we are all of the world too much and we 0ose who can. Those who can't should be doing what they can... prayer is an important ministry too.

I think its time we should all be measuring ourselves against scripture and walking the way Jesus said. The money we have been given from God for example, we should start thinking how we can put it to God's service instead of our own. This is what I feel is important, not denominations, not debating creation etc.

I'm not there yet but making changes to go in that direction. I think as soon as I have means to be child free sometimes I plan to use it immediately to get into some way of service.

I'm failing to see what this has to do with denominations. What you mentioned, "measuring ourselves against scripture and walking the way Jesus said. The money we have been given from God for example, we should start thinking how we can put it to God's service instead of our own" is done by many in various denominations. Any good, biblical, CORRECT gospel preaching congregation, regardless of denomination or none do these things. Individual Christians who belong to no denomination or congregation can do these things.
Denomination means "part of a whole."

Upvote 0

noam burde

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
zikim israel
Visit site
✟57,439.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was on another thread about denominations and was going to post what I wrote below but realised it would be off topic so guess I'm starting a thread.
Is anyone else non-denominational but attending a denominational church? What makes you so?

I think all denominations probably have it wrong. I don't see any of us living the life of the early church. I think we are all of the world too much and we should all gear ourselves towards becoming more active in the community, spreading the gospel, helping each other more and actually serving. Those who can. Those who can't should be doing what they can... prayer is an important ministry too.

I think its time we should all be measuring ourselves against scripture and walking the way Jesus said. The money we have been given from God for example, we should start thinking how we can put it to God's service instead of our own. This is what I feel is important, not denominations, not debating creation etc.

I'm not there yet but making changes to go in that direction. I think as soon as I have means to be child free sometimes I plan to use it immediately to get into some way of service.
I also think no denomination is right.
but I don't think its because of people are not living the life of the early church.
as jesus said "13 Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. 14“For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it."
in other words. the vast majority of people are not righteous. I don't think they ever where.
earlier in the bible God doesn't eliminate humanity just because of noah.
later he offers Moses that he will create a new people just from him because the Hebrews were not obedient enough. but Moses says no.
also he saves Lot only from Sodom. because he was the only righteous there.
you should get used to this idea. that people around you are just not going to be too righteous.

Upvote 0

HeLeadethMe

Apr 27, 2017
Toronto
✟32,827.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can't spread the gospel if you don't know the gospel, there's people who preach more about the sin of gay marriage than they do about people in church who have been divorced, neither matter.
Galatians chapter 5 verse 6
The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself in love.
Here's something most people who teach hate don't know.
Galatians chapter 3 verse 17
What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise.
  1. Romans chapter 4
    13 It was not through the law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. 14 For if those who depend on the law are heirs, faith means nothing and the promise is worthless, 15 because the law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression.
The law put into effect 1900 hundred years later also does not set aside the promise.
1 Peter chapter 4 verse 8
Love covers many sins.
If you taught love you'd be like Christ, if you teach hate against abortion and gays your not like Christ.
That's the problem with the church.

The lost do what they do because they are lost and do not know the Lord, just like we all used to be and do, so we do not judge and condemn......just that in order to come to Jesus and know their need of Him and repent of sins, conviction of sin is a vital part of the salvation message. And to preach against sin is very much needed within the body of believers as well, because sin and bondage is what Jesus came to save us from, and it only takes a little leaven left uncorrected that soon leavens the whole lump............BUT I agree it matters a great deal what kind of spirit/attitude it is preached in. But then again, even so, we will never eliminate the offense of the gospel........it is why Jesus was crucified and why believers are persecuted around the world. We aren't looking to please man, but to please God......we just have to expect and understand that the gospel will never please the nature and flesh of fallen man. Suffering for the Word is part and parcel of following Jesus. Greater love has no man than that he lay down his life for his friends trying to get the gospel to them.....it is for love of people as well as love of God, that we are expected to follow in His footsteps. Love warns of the dangers of sin.........and the apostle wrote some save by fear and some save by compassion.

• Winner
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm failing to see what this has to do with denominations. What you mentioned, "measuring ourselves against scripture and walking the way Jesus said. The money we have been given from God for example, we should start thinking how we can put it to God's service instead of our own" is done by many in various denominations. Any good, biblical, CORRECT gospel preaching congregation, regardless of denomination or none do these things. Individual Christians who belong to no denomination or congregation can do these things.
Denomination means "part of a whole."
'Denomination means part of a whole.'

I like that! Yeah, I do tend to ramble. Wasn't the best way to make a thread. I'm fairly new to it. Even posted in the wrong part of forum... and failed to get it moved. Oops.

The posessions I've sorted. I guess it's something on my mind. I give my tithe but if I wasted less I could do more but privately. Need to stop wasting what God gives me though.

Reactions: writewords
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
You can't spread the gospel if you don't know the gospel, there's people who preach more about the sin of gay marriage than they do about people in church who have been divorced, neither matter.
Galatians chapter 5 verse 6
The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself in love.
Here's something most people who teach hate don't know.
Galatians chapter 3 verse 17
What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise.
  1. Romans chapter 4
    13 It was not through the law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. 14 For if those who depend on the law are heirs, faith means nothing and the promise is worthless, 15 because the law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression.
The law put into effect 1900 hundred years later also does not set aside the promise.
1 Peter chapter 4 verse 8
Love covers many sins.
If you taught love you'd be like Christ, if you teach hate against abortion and gays your not like Christ.
That's the problem with the church.

Why was Jesus nailed to a cross and why did He drink the cup of God's wrath? Why did God flood the earth, killing all its inhabitants except for Noah and his family? Why did God destroy Sodom and Gomorrah?

Why is this text in the Bible?: "Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming." (Colossians 3:5-6)

Upvote 0

HeLeadethMe

Apr 27, 2017
Toronto
✟32,827.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Make sure you don't throw out babies with bath Water!

Study what the first generation Christians were taught, since - as Paul says - " truth" faith was handed down by " tradition " a word now confused with the colloquial meaning, but then, as used by paul it means paradosis " handing down of the deposit of faith". The New Testament still way in the future.

So study such as ignatius to smyrneans, he and polycarp disciples of John the apostle and their faith taught by him, see what the early church was.

You see a liturgical, sacramental church in which a valid Eucharist could only be performed by appointed succession bishops or their appointees and was the real presence , the " foundation of truth" was the church.

See also how the early church was empowered to " bind and loose " - that is pronounce on correct interpretation of doctrine which it did in councils of succession bishops. without which you would not have a New Testament or creed . Those councils that chose your New Testament and creed accepted the " primacy of honour" of the pope.

RCC and orthodox until they split away are not denominations, they are the continuation of that early church.

Denominations came later fuelled by the erroneous belief of sola scriptura, in which all get to decide their own interpretation , so schism with monotonous regularity, because the reformation ditched Jesus' appointed authority of the church to pronounce in doctrine, so a mass of conflicting interpretations on all aspects of doctrine flourished,

How does Non denomination fit that history? Can your church point at unbroken succession of bishops back to the apostles, none renouncing the church authority, performing a Eucharist of the real presence? If not you are barking up the wrong tree.

Sadly, the Lord did not even spare His own early temple in Jerusalem in its apostasy and He will not spare His own new covenant temple either in its apostasy, regardless of its continuity or traditions. If it has become a haunt for devils and cage of foul birds, then it's high time to come out of her as the Lord commands........because what has been will be again, and not one stone will be left on another of the new covenant temple (church) in God's judgment. And it gives me no pleasure in saying this, however I think it needs to be said that any organization that is world renown for sexually assaulting children, homosexuality, as well as cover-ups of crimes......qualifies, unfortunately. And her daughter churches in protestantism, is tragically not far behind its mother in sins and apostasy now. The sad reality that churches are waxing worse than the unbelieving world in sins......ought to wake us up and cause us to question these institutions, what they are doing wrong, teaching wrong, believing wrong to cause depravity to be allowed to flourish within. Well, I even suggest first obey the Lord and run out the heavy wooden doors as fast as you can before its too late, and then question.........because the end of the age is just about upon us, and judgment begins with His house.

Revelation 18:2 And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird.

Revelation 18:4-5 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Peoole do bad things, even popes ,and when they do, they do not do them in the name of the church. Jesus came to call sinners. And in a church of billions there are many, billions of us.

And none of that alters the fact that the early church still lives in the Catholic Church, its doctrine unchanged in two millennia, so it has not apostasized only clarified and settled disputes on doctrine using the power to bind and loose our Lord gave to the apostles jointly and separately by successors of Peter.
Without the power of those councils, you would not have creed or NT.

We can quote bible verses all day - the ones that most suits the reformation churches are - " how can they teach if they are not sent?" And " a house divided cannot stand"

Jesus promised HIS church would be one, and it still is - one holy, catholic and apostolic , one catechism, built upon the rock that is Peter. We are told the " pillar and foundation of truth" is that church.

Sadly, the Lord did not even spare His own early temple in Jerusalem in its apostasy and He will not spare His own new covenant temple either in its apostasy, regardless of its continuity or traditions. If it has become a haunt for devils and cage of foul birds, then it's high time to come out of her as the Lord commands........because what has been will be again, and not one stone will be left on another of the new covenant temple (church) in God's judgment. And it gives me no pleasure in saying this, however I think it needs to be said that any organization that is world renown for sexually assaulting children, homosexuality, as well as cover-ups of crimes......qualifies, unfortunately. And her daughter churches in protestantism, is tragically not far behind its mother in sins and apostasy now. The sad reality that churches are waxing worse than the unbelieving world in sins......ought to wake us up and cause us to question these institutions, what they are doing wrong, teaching wrong, believing wrong to cause depravity to be allowed to flourish within. Well, I even suggest first obey the Lord and run out the heavy wooden doors as fast as you can before its too late, and then question.........because the end of the age is just about upon us, and judgment begins with His house.

Revelation 18:2 And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird.

Revelation 18:4-5 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.

Upvote 0

Hethatreadethit

ClintR
Site Supporter
Dec 7, 2016
Foristell Mo.
✟118,834.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I think all denominations probably have it wrong. I don't see any of us living the life of the early church. I think we are all of the world too much and we should all gear ourselves towards becoming more active in the community, spreading the gospel, helping each other more and actually serving. Those who can. Those who can't should be doing what they can... prayer is an important ministry too.

I only put non-denomination on the choices because my faith is not on their list, and why should it ?

Names don't always work as we think. Consider the Almighty who said:

Exo 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

Upvote 0

writewords

Meant for ministry. Gloria in excelsis Deo.
Feb 24, 2017
Missouri
✟34,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
'Denomination means part of a whole.'

I like that! Yeah, I do tend to ramble. Wasn't the best way to make a thread. I'm fairly new to it. Even posted in the wrong part of forum... and failed to get it moved. Oops.

The posessions I've sorted. I guess it's something on my mind. I give my tithe but if I wasted less I could do more but privately. Need to stop wasting what God gives me though.

You were making some good points like Christians becoming too much like the world, etc. There can be a lot of debate interdenominationally and intradenominally and a lot of it is stuff that doesn't require debate.

• Agree
Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The lost do what they do because they are lost and do not know the Lord, just like we all used to be and do, so we do not judge and condemn......just that in order to come to Jesus and know their need of Him and repent of sins, conviction of sin is a vital part of the salvation message. And to preach against sin is very much needed within the body of believers as well, because sin and bondage is what Jesus came to save us from, and it only takes a little leaven left uncorrected that soon leavens the whole lump............BUT I agree it matters a great deal what kind of spirit/attitude it is preached in. But then again, even so, we will never eliminate the offense of the gospel........it is why Jesus was crucified and why believers are persecuted around the world. We aren't looking to please man, but to please God......we just have to expect and understand that the gospel will never please the nature and flesh of fallen man. Suffering for the Word is part and parcel of following Jesus. Greater love has no man than that he lay down his life for his friends trying to get the gospel to them.....it is for love of people as well as love of God, that we are expected to follow in His footsteps. Love warns of the dangers of sin.........and the apostle wrote some save by fear and some save by compassion.
repent of sins
Then why do you continue to commit the same sins.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why was Jesus nailed to a cross and why did He drink the cup of God's wrath? Why did God flood the earth, killing all its inhabitants except for Noah and his family? Why did God destroy Sodom and Gomorrah?

Why is this text in the Bible?: "Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming." (Colossians 3:5-6)
1 Corinthians chapter 15 verse 56
The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.
That's why you sin more than me, and that's why you never stopped sinning.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

You are obviously not mature enough to handle this.

Welcome to the ignore list.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not quite sure about the meaning of the thread...
I just recommended 1 John chapters 1 and 2 and that I would be reading them too and goodnight. However, seeing as I didn't say anything friendly I thought it wasn't kind enough and needed to go to bed.

Decided to just delete instead of being quick to judge motives when text can be deceptive. Instead of poking my nose in where it wasn't needed.

Upvote 0

HeLeadethMe

Apr 27, 2017
Toronto
✟32,827.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then why do you continue to commit the same sins.

If any are committing the same sins that they were before coming to faith in Jesus, then they aren't saved......because He came to save us from our sins.

Upvote 0

HeLeadethMe

Apr 27, 2017
Toronto
✟32,827.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

disciple 1, I have a hunch you need to take a look at the whole counsel of God on the matter of sin and grace and law......the new testament warns a lot against sinning, to those who know the Lord and follow Christ. In fact it even says that grace teaches us not to sin. Also, if we keep on willfully sinning there is no more sacrifice for sins. There's a lot more, those are just two passages that popped into my head right off the bat.

Where it says, where there is no law there is no transgression.........you are taking that too far. It is only saying that sin is not imputed to us, ie, we are not condemned if we happen to sin........because we have an Advocate.....who we ought not to take for granted, lest our names be struck out of the book of life. Also keep in mind there is only no law for those who are in the Spirit, that's why there is no transgression when we walk in the Spirit, because the Spirit does not lead us to transgress. There is nowhere, absolutely nowhere in the whole bible that we can use as an excuse or license to sin.........for Christ is not the minster of sin.

Misunderstanding this kind of thing and having lost the fear of the Lord.......has led the church into apostasy. Newspaper headlines for the past 15-20 years or so have been chock full of scandals about ministers.........everything from inappropriate contentography, to pedophilia, to adultery, to addictions, to abuses of power, to ponzi schemes.........and if the leaders of the churches are so sinful, what is the condition of the flock who sit under them while they teach how to excuse their sins with scripture, and upon who they lay unclean hands and pray week after week, transferring their demons into them, instead of the HOLY Spirit. Come out of her my people, that you do not PARTAKE....... of her......what......SINS........I'm afraid that means she is transgressing.........She is leading you astray, teaching you to "eat" things sacrificed to idols (false spiritual food/false teachings)........the glory has departed because of grieving the HOLY Spirit and the Lord is judging her......with strong delusion. That's how DEADLY sin is.

Upvote 0

HeLeadethMe

Apr 27, 2017
Toronto
✟32,827.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Peoole do bad things, even popes ,and when they do, they do not do them in the name of the church. Jesus came to call sinners. And in a church of billions there are many, billions of us.

And none of that alters the fact that the early church still lives in the Catholic Church, its doctrine unchanged in two millennia, so it has not apostasized only clarified and settled disputes on doctrine using the power to bind and loose our Lord gave to the apostles jointly and separately by successors of Peter.
Without the power of those councils, you would not have creed or NT.

We can quote bible verses all day - the ones that most suits the reformation churches are - " how can they teach if they are not sent?" And " a house divided cannot stand"

Jesus promised HIS church would be one, and it still is - one holy, catholic and apostolic , one catechism, built upon the rock that is Peter. We are told the " pillar and foundation of truth" is that church.

Oh, dear brother, I'm sad to see how deluded this is........just taking a tiny peek into the history of the Catholic church will reveal some of the most heinous, pathological crimes committed not only in the name of the church but in the name of Christ. They make even the heathen look righteous.......and that's just what scripture says, when God's people turn away from Him, they become worse than the heathen.

And as I was pointing out........she's not so holy is she. It's very far from a case of one or two bad apples in the barrel......it's what you call a systemic problem. And just like in the natural realm when a body is racked with a systemic infection it means death. Unless the patient consents to receiving a very strong and immediate course of antibiotics. But I'm sorry to say, when a church gets this bad, it's because God has given her over to it, and the patient constantly refuses the only thing that can help her......the washing of the water of the Word.

Peter.......who had to be opposed to his face and corrected by Paul. Guess he wasn't so infallible then was he. There is a terrible lot of misunderstanding of scripture and taking things too far......and it is happening increasingly in the protestant world too.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Peter.......who had to be opposed to his face and corrected by Paul.

I like Peter. I like that God chose to use him. He made multiple errors. Failed to walk on water. Worried. Refused foot washing, wanted Jesus to wash him entirely :) Denied Jesus 3 times. Defended Jesus cutting off someones ear. Tried to beg Jesus not to talk about dying. But humble, innocent, devoted.

We can learn a lot from the stories of him in the Bible. It has helped teach me not to self condemn. Jesus valued a heart like Peter's enough to use Him so strongly. Even though Peter erred from time to time. How humble he was to be corrected too. Both by Jesus and Paul <3

Last edited:
Reactions: HeLeadethMe
Upvote 0