✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I currently go to a Pentecostal church
I don't really have much choice when it comes to churches and how I got there is a long story
I didn't know anyone there ..
I've always been non-denominational but finding myself in Pentecostal churches although I don't completely fit in
I need to find a non-denominational church but I'll feel so bad because I kind of made connections with the church I'm at ... The church only have around 15 people
I feel like they've done so much for me! So what do you guys think?

Anyone non-denominational but attending a denominated church? I am strongly against denominations. I really don't like them. I feel like so many denominations agree on the same things but cause strife over silly differences. It really breaks my heart

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Same here. We've been to all kinds of denominational churches and each had their weird rules, weird standards to go there...etc. So we are back at our non-denominational church. It feels like home.

The pastor doesn't talk about "You must wear a long dress if a woman!" or "You must speak tounges if your really saved!" or stuff like that. Its strictly by the bible. No made up interpretations, no rules that aren't in the bible. No demanding tithe. No demanding you be there every sunday or else you get kicked out...etc.

Now of course some members may disagree with each other (you can't avoid that) but everyone gets along and you feel like family (as you should feel at church). I'll never go back to a denominational church again.

Reactions: MustardSeeed
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't really have much choice when it comes to churches and how I got there is a long story
I've always been non-denominational but finding myself in Pentecostal churches although I don't completely fit in
I need to find a non-denominational church but I'll feel so bad because I kind of made connections with the church I'm at ... The church only have around 15 people

Anyone non-denominational but attending a denominated church? I am strongly against denominations. I really don't like them. I feel like so many denominations agree on the same things but cause strife over silly differences. It really breaks my heart

I'm confused becuase so far I don't see a good reason to leave the church you're at.

1. A lot of powerful preachers and ministers come out of small churches becuase in small churches you aren't really just a number in a sense and you're focused on and trained. Also if you go to church just based off numbers... rather then where God leads you... that's not good. I would pray about it and if you don't have the holy spirit ask someone else to pray for you about it.

2. When you say don't fit in, if you mean you don't feel right there spiritually, or you notice problems with the church that's a fair indication. But if you simply don't fit in because you're new to the church or faith or whatever that's not a good reason to leave.

3. I would say yeah if you break it down... denominations agree at least 50% when it comes to things. THey are kind of like the democratic vs republican party in that sense, but just like with those parties there are some major differences in some areas.

Question: But yeah do you have a legit reason for wanting to leave? I've read your OP a few times and it seems more like the church is rather ideal for you tbh.

Upvote 0

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Same here. We've been to all kinds of denominational churches and each had their weird rules, weird standards to go there...etc. So we are back at our non-denominational church. It feels like home.

The pastor doesn't talk about "You must wear a long dress if a woman!" or "You must speak tounges if your really saved!" or stuff like that. Its strictly by the bible. No made up interpretations, no rules that aren't in the bible. No demanding tithe. No demanding you be there every sunday or else you get kicked out...etc.

Now of course some members may disagree with each other (you can't avoid that) but everyone gets along and you feel like family (as you should feel at church). I'll never go back to a denominational church again.

Yes! The first church I went to had the whole tithes things and the head pastor of the church of around 300 people preached the whole "give and you will receive and you will get increase" .... the last time I checked we were to give expecting NOT to receive ... The pastor was also a female which isn't a big deal but not what I really envision

I would love to go to a church like yours. The church I go to now is the "you must speak in tongues" attitude that you described. They even went as far as to say one time "oh you haven't spoken in tongues yet" to someone. Speaking in tongues isn't a gaurentee your saved ... Yes tongues are great and it should not be forbidden but there is a certain order that they should be done in. The first time I spoke in tongues was when I was in my bedroom praying to God. No church at all. The bible says to pray for interpretation also ... They also hold attendance to a HIGH standard. This year my sister didn't go to church for Easter and she was like "oh that's not good" and she was being all disappointed

I'm not big on Easter if you ask me. Every single day I am grateful for Christ's resurrection!

For now I will be content because the preaching is good and I feel as though God brought me to that church for a reason to get baptized but I wouldn't call myself a member

Upvote 0

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm confused becuase so far I don't see a good reason to leave the church you're at.

1. A lot of powerful preachers and ministers come out of small churches becuase in small churches you aren't really just a number in a sense and you're focused on and trained. Also if you go to church just based off numbers... rather then where God leads you... that's not good. I would pray about it and if you don't have the holy spirit ask someone else to pray for you about it.

2. When you say don't fit in, if you mean you don't feel right there spiritually, or you notice problems with the church that's a fair indication. But if you simply don't fit in because you're new to the church or faith or whatever that's not a good reason to leave.

3. I would say yeah if you break it down... denominations agree at least 50% when it comes to things. THey are kind of like the democratic vs republican party in that sense, but just like with those parties there are some major differences in some areas.

Question: But yeah do you have a legit reason for wanting to leave? I've read your OP a few times and it seems more like the church is rather ideal for you tbh.

I'm not going to the church based on numbers. I would rather go to a small church. I stated the size of the church as perspective. I feel as though I don't fit in because I am one of the youngest. There is 2 people in that church of around 15-30 depending on the day my age. Being new also plays into it. I'm not talking spiritually. It's kind of impossible to compare myself spiritually to the others in the church considering not only do I not know them well but anyone can be one way at church and a different way at home. Read my above post,

"For now I will be content because the preaching is good and I feel as though God brought me to that church for a reason to get baptized but I wouldn't call myself a member"

I am not going to leave the church and "forsake the assembly"

However, I cannot see myself going there forever

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes! The first church I went to had the whole tithes things and the head pastor of the church of around 300 people preached the whole "give and you will receive and you will get increase" .... the last time I checked we were to give expecting NOT to receive ... The pastor was also a female which isn't a big deal but not what I really envision

I would love to go to a church like yours. The church I go to now is the "you must speak in tongues" attitude that you described. They even went as far as to say one time "oh you haven't spoken in tongues yet" to someone. Speaking in tongues isn't a gaurentee your saved ... Yes tongues are great and it should not be forbidden but there is a certain order that they should be done in. The first time I spoke in tongues was when I was in my bedroom praying to God. No church at all. The bible says to pray for interpretation also ... They also hold attendance to a HIGH standard. This year my sister didn't go to church for Easter and she was like "oh that's not good" and she was being all disappointed

I'm not big on Easter if you ask me. Every single day I am grateful for Christ's resurrection!

For now I will be content because the preaching is good and I feel as though God brought me to that church for a reason to get baptized but I wouldn't call myself a member

Coming from a guy who goes to a church full of people who have experienced prayer in tounques and matured in spiritual gifts such as prophecy I can offer some insight here.

1. Speaking in tounques isn't a guarantee your saved you're right about that, you must also be sanctified and living the gospel. But it is a sign nevertheless.

2. Since I go to a church that in again speaking in an unknown tounque in worship or prayer or whatever isn't a rare phenomenon we are of course taught how to be civil and taught from corinthians where Paul talks about not speaking without interpretation. It's instrumental to understand that in that passage Paul is focusing on the "gift of tounques" not the sign of tounques.

The sign of tounques (they experienced this at pentecost) is something that is between you and God through salvation, prayer, worship etc. That as you point out you yourself have experienced.

The gift is God speaking a message through an individual that must be interpreted by an interpreter becuase the message is for the congregation it's not a personal thing. This is also a unique gift while the sign is just one of the signs mentioned in mark of a believer.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not going to the church based on numbers. I would rather go to a small church. I stated the size of the church as perspective. I feel as though I don't fit in because I am one of the youngest. There is 2 people in that church of around 15-30 depending on the day my age. Being new also plays into it. I'm not talking spiritually. It's kind of impossible to compare myself spiritually to the others in the church considering not only do I not know them well but anyone can be one way at church and a different way at home. Read my above post,

"For now I will be content because the preaching is good and I feel as though God brought me to that church for a reason to get baptized but I wouldn't call myself a member"

I am not going to leave the church and "forsake the assembly"

However, I cannot see myself going there forever

Well for example i'm 20 and in ministry, I don't see myself being there forever either. in fact God has shown me that one day i'll be a pastor. Maybe God showed you something also or has given you a feeling of sorts. When you're young you most likely are going to move to another church eventually outside the one you grew up in so don't worry about that.

To answer your question it's ok to have that perspective that God maybe will call you into evangelism or another church, it's very possible that that's the case. It seems like most leave their original or starting church home.

Upvote 0

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well for example i'm 20 and in ministry, I don't see myself being there forever either. When you're young you most likely are going to move to another church eventually outside the one you grew up in so don't worry about that.

To answer your question it's ok to have that perspective that God maybe will call you into evangelism or another church, it's very possible that that's the case.

Yes, your right. I would love to have a role where I can edify and support young woman like myself or the homeless. I feel like the experience of the Holy Ghost should simply be an experience and not a denomination. I'm 20 also. That's admiring your in ministry. I want to be an interpreter or prophesy

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, your right. I would love to have a role where I can edify and support young woman like myself or the homeless. Don't get me wrong I love Pentecostal fire! but I feel like the experience of the Holy Ghost should simply be an experience and not a denomination. I'm 20 also. That's admiring your in ministry. I want to be an interpreter or prophesy
I agree I never focus on the denomination too much I believe people can be saved anywhere. My aunt got saved in her car haha.

And same I am seeking the gift of prophecy, a prophet told me it's dormant in my belly, it was supposed to go to my Dad but he didn't want it the prophet said so praying and preparing for it.

My mom operates in prophecy currently.

Reactions: MustardSeeed
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Coming from a guy who goes to a church full of people who have experienced prayer in tounques and matured in spiritual gifts such as prophecy I can offer some insight here.

1. Speaking in tounques isn't a guarantee your saved you're right about that, you must also be sanctified and living the gospel. But it is a sign nevertheless.

2. Since I go to a church that in again speaking in an unknown tounque in worship or prayer or whatever isn't a rare phenomenon we are of course taught how to be civil and taught from corinthians where Paul talks about not speaking without interpretation. It's instrumental to understand that in that passage Paul is focusing on the "gift of tounques" not the sign of tounques.

The sign of tounques (they experienced this at pentecost) is something that is between you and God through salvation, prayer, worship etc. That as you point out you yourself have experienced.

The gift is God speaking a message through an individual that must be interpreted by an interpreter becuase the message is for the congregation it's not a personal thing. This is also a unique gift while the sign is just one of the signs mentioned in mark of a believer.

Yeah I know there are 2 kinds of tongues but even so I feel like it's such a personal thing. The tongues you are referring to is the one that is between yourself and God so therefore I don't understand altar calls where everyone is speaking in tongues ... am I against it? Nope, it's not my church and I will not cause unneeded contentions. So I guess I'm just going with the flow

Upvote 0

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I agree I never focus on the denomination too much I believe people can be saved anywhere. My aunt got saved in her car haha.

And same I am seeking the gift of prophecy, a prophet told me it's dormant in my belly, it was supposed to go to my Dad but he didn't want it the prophet said so praying and preparing for it.

My mom operates in prophecy currently.

Wowww, I'm just going to have to keep growing. Can't stay a Mustard Seed forever!
Thanks and God Bless

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah I know there are 2 kinds of tongues but even so I feel like it's such a personal thing. The tongues you are referring to is the one that is between yourself and God so therefore I don't understand altar calls where everyone is speaking in tongues ... am I against it? Nope, it's not my church and I will not cause unneeded contentions. So I guess I'm just going with the flow

OH I see well in most cases this applies here.

1. Some are at the alter personally praying to God in tounques or just no tounque but you can still hear them crying to God because you happen to be there. Alter call I found out is something that came into practice around the I believe 1800s it's more of a just convenient thing I guess. Sadly people limit salvation to being just at church or at alter call not realizing it's something that was added to the church to help individuals seek GOd.

2. Some are operating under spiritual gifts ministering and prophesying to others and I notice when my mom does it for example she may speak in touques first and then just give out the prophecy in english.

3. Now I do agree that while this is going on there should be some ushers or individuals standing watching over the alter and watching the door. Paul told us to do this in corinthians so people don't just walk in and never understand what's going on.

But yeah also we only have leaders lay hands at our church, I know some church have everyone flow to the alter speaking in tounques laying hands and stuff and I agree i'm not in disagreement with that, but like you can't say I would be comfortable with it. So I see now if maybe just not feeling the church is your ultimate destination, would keep praying about it and let God lead.

I'm glad I got to meet you though you seem like a great guy and it's great to speak with others walking with God! God bless you brother

Upvote 0

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
OH I see well in most cases this applies here.

I'm glad I got to meet you though you seem like a great guy and it's great to speak with others walking with God! God bless you brother

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, I'm a young woman! hahahahah, that's so funny
Yes, I'm glad we are in agreement and I understand you 100%
Laying of hands is important and operating in gifts is important too it also builds you relationship with your brothers and sisters in Christ

God Bless you!

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟835,688.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

I think that you need to get your standing with Christ sorted out first. Once you are secure in your personal, direct relationship with Christ and know that you have the Holy Spirit within you as your guide and advocate before God, then you can safely conform to the scripture: "You need not that any man should teach you because the anointing [of the Holy Spirit] will teach you all things." What this means is not that we refuse any instruction or counsel, but we consult with the Holy Spirit along with any instruction or guidance we get from anyone else just to make sure that the Holy Spirit agrees with it. Make sure that you do not accept anyone coming to you and saying, "The Holy Spirit told me to tell you [this]. The Holy Spirit doesn't work that way. He speaks to your heart and anyone else's instruction or counsel is just a confirmation of what the Holy Spirit has already shown you. So once you have got those things clear, then it really doesn't matter what church you attend, or what denomination that church has because you will be putting Christ first before that church every time. And if that church tries to force you to comply with their rules and regulations, you can walk away and go to a church down the road.

Frankly, God doesn't care what church you go to once your personal relationship with Christ is secure, because then the Holy Spirit can guide you to the right place to worship.

I was converted in a Pentecostal church. I spent 12 years in that movement until the church I was in got trapped into that demonic shepherding movement where people thought they could "be" the Holy Spirit to others. What happened was that vulnerable believers were led to believe that they had to check things out with a discipler before they could make a decision. In reality, we go to Christ for guidance first, and if the guy who thinks he can disciple us does not agree we can say to that person, "On your bike!" This is because your relationship with Christ comes first before the views and demands of any person.

So, one morning I woke up and knew that I didn't want to go to that church any longer. So I left it and joined an Anglican church. I realised that beneath the ceremonial side of the church there was a bunch of enjoyably crazy people whom I got on very well. It was only when I changed cities that I met another bunch of great people and they happened to be Baptist. I remained with the Baptist church for around eight years. When I got to where I am living now, I didn't want to travel any distance to church and the one five minutes down the road was a Presbyterian church. I have been with that church since 1996, and now am the senior elder.

In 1969, God revealed Himself to me (after being in a Pentecostal church for two years and not really knowing Him on a personal level), in the middle of a park in the dead of night, away from any church. This showed me that God is quite separate from any church or denomination. It also showed me that any denomination is just a fellowship centre and not a conduit to God. In other words any church that tells you that the only way you can get to Christ is through them, is lying to you. In the same way if anyone tries to disciple you and tell you that the only way you can get reliable guidance is to check every decision with him or her. That person is also lying to you. There are no priests in the New Covenant. We are all priests with direct access to Christ through the Spirit who lives in us.

So, denominations as such mean nothing to me. I am very happy that my church doesn't impose rules and regulations. As the senior elder, I wouldn't allow it anyway. Every church has articles of faith and some sort of "book of order", but they are only for the general running and theology of the church. They do not regulate the personal lives of its members. If some ultra religious hockey puck came up to me and tried to tell me how to live my life, I would give them a good kick up the asp and send them on their way, and I wouldn't feel one bit of guilt about it.

True, in most denominations you have to pick the meat from the bones, but at the foundation of any church, it is the people who are important, and it really doesn't matter which church you end up in, you will be with a group of ordinary people just like you. You have the absolute right to attend whatever church you choose, and God will always be waiting there to bless you, because your faith and your life is in Christ before any church or any person.

My priority list is: God first, my family next, my church last. It works for me and keeps me right out of stress and trouble.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Hi; some stuff as you say is rather inconsequential.

Other matters of doctrinal import are very significant; and it's a matter of Biblical discernment to see the difference, I think.

Upvote 0

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi; some stuff as you say is rather inconsequential.

Other matters of doctrinal import are very significant; and it's a matter of Biblical discernment to see the difference, I think.

Agreed. Doctrines are important

Upvote 0

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My priority list is: God first, my family next, my church last. It works for me and keeps me right out of stress and trouble.

Thanks for the anecdote. You confirmed a lot of things I have felt in my heart already. Jesus said is the servant greater than his master? Nope, we are all brethren!
But I still like guidance and Sound Doctrine

In any case I will consider all the things you've said and stay where I am at for now but yes, the Holy Spirit will guide me into all truth and I am thankful for the truths I have found and will find

God bless :D

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟835,688.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. Doctrines are important
I agree too. Alongside the Bible (which is the most important document), the Westminster Confession is the standard which most. if not all evangelical churches go with. The only difference between that and Pentecostal theology is the latter includes the supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit as an essential part of its theology. The churches that have theological problems are those who depart from the essentials of the Westminster Confession, so any church that sticks to it is pretty safe in its doctrines.

Upvote 0