Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Years ago, when my kids were little, friends of ours who had vowed never to have kids use to tell us how the only reason why my daughter liked playing with dolls and my son liked playing with his tonka trucks, is because we instilled this in them by giving them these gender specific toys, rather than allowing them to make up their own mind.

Well, later it turned out that they decided to have kids and the first two were girls. They still hung onto their their genderless mentality. That is, until their son Patrick came along.

He quickly showed them that boys wanting to do boy things and girls wanting to do girl things, was a biological reality.

In fact, they wouldn't allow Patrick to have toy guns. So, one day while we're visiting, Patrick took one of the girls dolls, bent the arm down and started using the doll like it was a toy gun.

He also fashioned his tinker toys into make believe swords.

The girls never did any of these things and in fact, avoided Patrick as much as possible. :D

Jim

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Years ago, when my kids were little, friends of ours who had vowed never to have kids use to tell us how the only reason why my daughter liked playing with dolls and my son liked playing with his tonka trucks, is because we instilled this in them by giving them these gender specific toys, rather than allowing them to make up their own mind.

Well, later it turned out that they decided to have kids and the first two were girls. They still hung onto their their genderless mentality. That is, until their son Patrick came along.

He quickly showed them that boys wanting to do boy things and girls wanting to do girl things, was a biological reality.

In fact, they wouldn't allow Patrick to have toy guns. So, one day while we're visiting, Patrick took one of the girls dolls, bent the arm down and started using the doll like it was a toy gun.

He also fashioned his tinker toys into make believe swords.

The girls never did any of these things and in fact, avoided Patrick as much as possible. :D

Jim

I remember reading about an experiment done back in the early 1970's, where a little girl about four years old was placed in a roomful of toy trucks, soldiers, etc.---typical "boy toys", and a small boy of the same age was placed in a room full of dolls and cradles, toy make-up kits, etc. The idea was to prove that "gender is a learned process", and that behavior was instilled into children by what was expected of them.

When checked on an hour or two later, the little boy was blowing the dolls up by using the baby bottles and make up equipment as "artillery shells" while he crouched down behind a "bunker" made up of the make-up table and the doll's cradle. The little girl had wrapped a red fire truck up in her sweater and was sitting quietly in a corner, rocking it in her arms and singing a lullabye.

So much for progressive thought. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I remember reading about an experiment done back in the early 1970's, where a little girl about four years old was placed in a roomful of toy trucks, soldiers, etc.---typical "boy toys", and a small boy of the same age was placed in a room full of dolls and cradles, toy make-up kits, etc. The idea was to prove that "gender is a learned process", and that behavior was instilled into children by what was expected of them.

When checked on an hour or two later, the little boy was blowing the dolls up by using the baby bottles and make up equipment as "artillery shells" while he crouched down behind a "bunker" made up of the make-up table and the doll's cradle. The little had wrapped a red fire truck up in her sweater and was sitting quietly in a corner, rocking it in her arms and singing a lullabye.

So much for progressive thought. ;)

They had done a similar experiment on 20/20 and the same results.

Placed a group of boys and girls into a room, and they self divided into gender groups and began playing with the toys that we consider to be specific to their genders.

Bottom line is, let kids be kids.

Jim

Upvote 0