• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

tripletiger1200

Amazing Grace, How Sweet the Sound
Jun 23, 2011
✟8,151.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
When my OCD was bad this time last year I had plenty of times where I'd hit the end of my rope and God would do something or put something in my life that gave me comfort and let me know He was still with me. It was almost uncanny how it worked and it brought me tremendous joy and hope. After a while, the OCD improved immensely.
My OCD is bad again now and I feel like I keep hitting rock bottom, but it feels like God isn't there. I know God hasn't left me from promises in scripture, but it sure feels like He has sometimes. Is it wrong to wonder if He really is there, or to ask Him to bring me the same comfort He used to? I have prayed but I am getting nothing and I feel guilty for doubting.
Any thoughts?

Jul 4, 2011
Texas
✟15,208.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey tripletiger1200 it is hard to not doubt God sometimes when He silent. When you are desperately wanting to hear from Him but you seem to be talking to the ceiling. Times like this you need to remember even the disciples who walked with Him and talked to Him and watched Him perform His mircales doubted Him when they went through hard times. When John the Baptist was in jail he sent someone to ask Jesus if He really was who He said He was. When Peter started walking on the water He started doubting Jesus and started sinking and Jesus was there on the water with Him! Doubting Thomas who refused to believe it was Him until he saw Him. We all go through moments and times of doubt. They all wanted and what we still want to this day is to know that He is there and that He is there for us. Which He has promised us in His word. Remember the times and things He has done for you and hold onto that as a remembrance of what He can and still will do for you. I recently read somewhere that when God is silent towards us is when He is testing us. Don't give up even though you can't feel Him or hear Him know that He is with you right now by your side cheering you on to continue on. I hope you were able to find some comfort in what I said. I know what it's like to have OCD and how much of a nightmare it can be. When it was at its worst for me God was constantly showing me He was there and not leaving me, but with the OCD I wasn't able to see it at the time. I can look back now and know that He was there the whole time. Just like He is there with you right now even though you can't see it. I will be praying for you.

Upvote 0

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"My God, My God why have you forsaken me!?" "How long O Lord, will you forget me forever? How long O Lord, will you keep hiding your face? Please answer me! How long O Lord, must I hear my enemy say he has triumphed over me?" Then comes the shift if focus and the volitonal act of faith...... "But I have trusted in your mercy, my heart has rejoiced in your salvation. I WILL sing to the Lord because he has dealt kindly with me before, He has dealt kindly with me." Quotes from the book of Psalms
Your's and mine are not a unique experience even apart from the disorder of OCD. The key is to keep on walking, keep on obeying, keep on praising even when our emotions won't validate it. Those who continue to follow even when every trace of God and His love seems to have disappeared are those who demonstrate the greatest faith. Remember that even when the clouds cover the sun to the point where you can't see it or feel it's warmth it's still there doing it's job. Same with the God who made it and who made you.
Praying for you.
Mitzi

When my OCD was bad this time last year I had plenty of times where I'd hit the end of my rope and God would do something or put something in my life that gave me comfort and let me know He was still with me. It was almost uncanny how it worked and it brought me tremendous joy and hope. After a while, the OCD improved immensely.
My OCD is bad again now and I feel like I keep hitting rock bottom, but it feels like God isn't there. I know God hasn't left me from promises in scripture, but it sure feels like He has sometimes. Is it wrong to wonder if He really is there, or to ask Him to bring me the same comfort He used to? I have prayed but I am getting nothing and I feel guilty for doubting.
Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2011
✟15,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know the feeling brother. It is terrifying. For me I take solace in the fact that, as you probably already know, many saints and heroes of the faith have had dark, dark times. Not too many people know that even Ray Comfort suffered through 2 years of panic attacks. Also, Oswald Chambers went through 4 years of being unable to sense The Lord. Take heart friend, I am praying for you. I would also recommend picking up the book "Losing God" by Matt Rogers. It chronicles his struggle through extreme depression, fear, and doubt, and can be a great comfort to those of us who are suffering. I certainly know the feeling, and can relate. Keep looking up! Bless you.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please know that God is there
icon12.gif
even though you may not sense Him. Allow yourself to use our hope for you, while you are out? :hug: You sound like you've been "here" before and came up out of it... and while it's definitely not a good place to be, you'll come up out of it again. Try to distract yourself from your feelings if you can. :prayer: Is there someone you can call for more support?

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2010
✟8,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Tripletiger you are our brother in Christ and we are there for you . Believe me I still go through it at times, but remember this, it specifically warns us in the bible that faith isn't about the warm fuzzy reassurances that we have been used to all of our life. The lord is who he is because of his promises to us. Peter the wimpy apostle who denied Christ 3 times died willingly upside down because he knew exactly who Christ is.
If you ever need to talk we are all here for you:)
God bless you my friend

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 18, 2011
✟15,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know you posted this back in late August, but I'm right there with you bro. The thoughts never seem to cease. How are you feeling these days? I just prayed for you, and I hope that The Lord will keep you on my mind so that I may remember you in my prayers. Bless you friend.

Upvote 0

kodadog1024

Aug 17, 2011
✟10,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Things got better for a while, they're back in the pits now but that's just the nature of the beast. I'm slowly starting to realize that God is right here with me through all of this.

And remember when you and I and many others were at our lowest, through the grace of Jesus, He rescued us from our pain, picked us up and carried us to the next mile marker. It's hard to think this when God is quiet, and doesn't answer our needs right away, but it's in those hard times that our faith grows stronger in Him, perfecting us as He sees fit. You'll get there man. We ALL will.

Upvote 0