Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I agree with the OP. Hell is God's justice!

Counter-thought: Hell is the rejection--and therefore deprivation--of justice.

When the Gospel is preached we are preaching the justice of God, the justice of God that is announced is that the sinner is forgiven: the prisoner is set free and forgiven.

If a person rejects the pardon, rejects the justice of the court, and insists on staying in prison; justice is not meted out, instead justice is being denied.

Hell isn't about justice, hell is what it looks like when someone insists on their injustice and denying justice from God found in forgiveness and mercy.

Justice isn't about reward and punishment, but setting things right, restoration, and righting wrongs. In hell we find the broken un-repaired, the sick unhealed, the sinner remaining in sin. That isn't justice, but the rejection and deprivation of it.

I am not, here, denying the justice of God; but rather saying that to be "in hell" is about denying God's justice. Hell is a prison not for those whom God wants to lock away forever; hell is a prison of the prisoner's own design and intention.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,530.00
Faith
Non-Denom

When the Gospel is preached we are preaching the justice of God, the justice of God that is announced is that the sinner is forgiven: the prisoner is set free and forgiven.

If a person rejects the pardon, rejects the justice of the court, and insists on staying in prison; justice is not meted out, instead justice is being denied.

Hell isn't about justice, hell is what it looks like when someone insists on their injustice and denying justice from God found in forgiveness and mercy.

Justice isn't about reward and punishment, but setting things right, restoration, and righting wrongs. In hell we find the broken un-repaired, the sick unhealed, the sinner remaining in sin. That isn't justice, but the rejection and deprivation of it.

I am not, here, denying the justice of God; but rather saying that to be "in hell" is about denying God's justice. Hell is a prison not for those whom God wants to lock away forever; hell is a prison of the prisoner's own design and intention.

-CryptoLutheran

I only can wish for such "justice" to prevail in typical courts of law. In secular life justice is meting out the penalty for violations of laws. For example, if my grass gets more than 10" long and my neighbor reports me to the magistrates, then they determine a penalty to be assessed against me if I do not restrain the growth of my grass. That does not mean that I am then free to allow my grass to continue its luxuriant growth without experiencing sanctions from the magistrates. I am not the individual who determines the sanctions: rather, the magistrates determine the sanctions and enforce them.

Upvote 0

johnjanuary1984

Feb 15, 2022
Wisconsin
✟8,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
I am very confused as to what you are talking about here. Can you clarify what you mean by "resting in peace"? You use this phrase but do not explain what you mean. Are you referring to annihilationism/conditionalism with that?

Annihilation is basically the same thing as "Resting In Peace".

Resting in Peace is a reward , a gift. Not a punishment. If Hitler was annihilated, he was blessed/rewarded with the gift of being able to rest in peace eternally . Why would a Just God reward someone like Hitler with eternal peace ????

Upvote 0

johnjanuary1984

Feb 15, 2022
Wisconsin
✟8,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
As a Lutheran you should know the answer to this question: What is the justice of God mentioned in Romans 1:17?

Is the justice of God the justice by which God punishes the wicked and rewards the righteous?
Or is the justice of God the justice by which God justifies sinners?

If justice is about punishment and reward, rather than grace and mercy, then there is no Gospel.

-CryptoLutheran

Hitler was not a Christian. He rejected the Lamb of God. Therefore he should suffer

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Jehovah's Witnesses and 7th Day Adventists and maybe a couple more denominations I think
I don't believe that from what I know about them but universalists are very outspoken that there is no hell.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hitler was not a Christian. He rejected the Lamb of God. Therefore he should suffer
Where are you getting your info? Hitler was known to be involved in Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
7th Day Adventists and JW's deny the reality of hell.
In one sense You're right. SDAs believe in soul sleep and then annihilation. Wouldn't they say that the unsaved are annihilated in hell? JWs are more sophisticated. They give unsaved people another chance to live through the Millennium.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,530.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I don't believe that from what I know about them but universalists are very outspoken that there is no hell.

You are correct about Universalists who are, by extension, now Unitarian Universalists. As for the JW's and SDA, both, having a common root in Ellen White, do believe in annihilationism. Curiously, the LDS today do not officially teach a doctrine of eternal suffering for the non-LDS. Their salvation is effected in LDS temples by proxy baptism.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,788.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If Hitler is "Resting In Peace" that means God is not Just.

If Hell doesn't exist then our God is not a Just God..

We might as well do whatever we want in this life, because there are no eternal consequences????

If there is no Hell then there is no true Justice. Resting In Piece is no punishment whatsoever.

Why obey God ?? If there are no eternal consequences,?

Resting in peace is a reward, not a punishment.

Hitler is Resting In Peace ???
Eternity is a very long time isn't it? Do you think that Hitler (as an example of the worst humanity has to offer) ought to suffer for eternity - endlessly for trillions of billions of millions of more trillions of billions of millions of years and repeated over and over forever?

Is that your idea of justice?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

And speaking from a place of pure sinful indulgence, I agree: Hitler should suffer. But I am confident that our Lord is infinitely better than either of us sinful wretches.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

johnjanuary1984

Feb 15, 2022
Wisconsin
✟8,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Eternity is a very long time isn't it? Do you think that Hitler (as an example of the worst humanity has to offer) ought to suffer for eternity - endlessly for trillions of billions of millions of more trillions of billions of millions of years and repeated over and over forever?

Is that your idea of justice?

Wanna hear something even worse. I was raised to believe that the victims of the Holocaust are suffering in Hell with Hitler unless they truly repented right before their death.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

-CryptoLutheran
Thanks for your response! I appreciate it.

This made me re-think what I written.

I especially like your last paragraph. It makes more sense to me now.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
He's dead... and when the time comes.... I suspect, total annihilation...don't ever really know for sure ..... their always a possibility that he accepted Christ... seems unlikely.... but ya never know.
Jesus never supported total annihilation. He supported in a number of places that there is a location where unconverted people will exist in a conscious state of being under the continuous wrath of God. If you support total annihilation, are you saying that Jesus is lying when He speaks of an eternal conscious hell for those who rebel against God? I wouldn't think so.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
This thread is strange. It's all pure conjecture and should be closed. It's upsetting.
It is upsetting only for those who have no assurance of salvation. The fact that some are upset is good because it may drive them with a stronger determination to Christ to make sure that their election is confirmed.

Upvote 0