Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fair. I have reviewed some of the omitted verses in entire chapters, and they were either added later or were reasonably predictable in the context of the verses. But what about Lucifer and Jesus both being the morning star? (I got 3 alerts of new messages as I was typing this).

Because the "omitted" words can be found at Luke 19:10 and Matthew 6:15, they were likely added accidentally during copying by someone who had those verses memorised.

Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0

Senkaku

Shatter the Illusion
Aug 18, 2016
Somewhere
✟66,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
hmmm...I'm guessing you've never heard of YLT or Young's Literal Translation. It's hard to read because what he did was translate the bible WITHOUT adding any kinds of "clarification". It is in the original sentence structure so the grammar won't make sense, but it is probably the closest thing you'll get to original translation without doing word studies. The only reason why it's not popular is because it is difficult to read, I like to use it for word studies.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,833.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
hmmm...I'm guessing you've never heard of YLT or Young's Literal Translation. It's hard to read because what he did was translate the bible WITHOUT adding any kinds of "clarification". It is in the original sentence structure so the grammar won't make sense, but it is probably the closest thing you'll get to original translation without doing word studies. The only reason why it's not popular is because it is difficult to read, I like to use it for word studies.
Yeah, that one is good for comparison. I use a Greek/Hebrew/English Interlinear that translates literally as well.....not for average reading, but it helps in cases like these.

Upvote 0

Senkaku

Shatter the Illusion
Aug 18, 2016
Somewhere
✟66,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, that one is good for comparison. I use a Greek/Hebrew/English Interlinear that translates literally as well.....not for average reading, but it helps in cases like these.
that sounds cool, I'll have to check that out, thanks for sharing that.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey I am glad to find counter arguments for the supposed ESV omissions. I am looking forward to being reunited with my ESV version at some point. Not getting on well with NKJV, old NIV fell to bits and I don't trust the new one.

I am getting fed up with these threads spreading doubts on the reliability of these translations. How is one to stand on God's promises if their confidence in the written word gets eroded? Do you not worry about causing a little one to stumble?

I am sure that you mean well, however. God bless you.

Upvote 0

Senkaku

Shatter the Illusion
Aug 18, 2016
Somewhere
✟66,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Hey I am glad to find counter arguments for the supposed ESV omissions. I am looking forward to being reunited with my ESV version at some point. Not getting on well with NKJV, old NIV fell to bits and I don't trust the new one.

I am getting fed up with these threads spreading doubts on the reliability of these translations. How is one to stand on God's promises if their confidence in the written word gets eroded? Do you not worry about causing a little one to stumble?

I am sure that you mean well, however. God bless you.
well, honestly, the letter kills but the spirit gives life...i think most forget that the bible is to be your fail safe, your support or structure. picture it like a fence that keeps you in the playground with Jesus, but if all people do is stare at that fence wondering about what it was made of, how it was made, which fence is better, than you are against its purpose in the first place. You see, it was the pharisees that were concerned with details, Jesus was concerned with the principles.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
well, honestly, the letter kills but the spirit gives life...i think most forget that the bible is to be your fail safe, your support or structure. picture it like a fence that keeps you in the playground with Jesus, but if all people do is stare at that fence wondering about what it was made of, how it was made, which fence is better, than you are against its purpose in the first place. You see, it was the pharisees that were concerned with details, Jesus was concerned with the principles.
I heartily agree with that!

Upvote 0

abbayabba

Dec 13, 2017
USA
✟10,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's why I use many different versions of the Bible and do not adhere to one single translation. Parallel Bibles can be quite beneficial. Although I generally use and post the KJV simply because that is the version most people will accept, I also read and sometimes post from more modern translations for clarity and to better understand the meaning behind certain words or phrases.

Hi, thank you. I will take your advice.

Upvote 0

abbayabba

Dec 13, 2017
USA
✟10,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Then I guess we're all just doomed. No way out now! (sarcasm)

Off topic, but God hates sarcasm. He always tells me to stop when I talk down to myself sarcastically, imagine how He feels when you talk down to others. Also, when I say something sarcastic, He replies literally. Just a warning, not condemnation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

abbayabba

Dec 13, 2017
USA
✟10,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Thank you. Your analogy is nicely worded and easy to visualize. I don't want to come off as a Pharisee. I'm just cautious when it comes to what I choose to accept as fact, especially when it concerns Jesus. I'm not sure how Satan can be the god of this world, and how there can be secret Satan-worshipping societies ruling the world, yet there are so many accurate Bible translations around. How could the truth be easily accessible in a world of lies, if it weren't inverted some? Maybe I'm wrong. Very well then.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you. Your analogy is nicely worded and easy to visualize. I don't want to come off as a Pharisee. I'm just cautious when it comes to what I choose to accept as fact, especially when it concerns Jesus. I'm not sure how Satan can be the god of this world, and how there can be secret Satan-worshipping societies ruling the world, yet there are so many accurate Bible translations around. How could the truth be easily accessible in a world of lies, if it weren't inverted some? Maybe I'm wrong. Very well then.
God's truths seem to be reinforced in multiple places throughout the Bible. Try not to overthink it and take your eyes off God in the process.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
In every translation from one language to another there is inevitably a degree of interpretation that is caused by both linguistic and cultural differences. It is also well to remember that even in its original manuscripts the Bible itself is an interpretation.

Upvote 0

Senkaku

Shatter the Illusion
Aug 18, 2016
Somewhere
✟66,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
That is why it's important to stand by principles...love, faith, hope. Think of it that way, what would love do in this situation? what would faith do in this situation? Don't forget, the people writing the bible, didn't have the bible and yet they managed somehow. How did they manage? through their faith. this is why Abraham is called the father of faith, he had no bible, yet look at the life he lived. Joseph was in the pit...no church or bible, yet he was still faithful. Think about the way Jesus preached, it was always on principles, intentions, the heart. when asked by the pharisees which commandment was the greatest He replied with a principle, not a law or a detail. Prioritize love, on all this the law and prophets hang on. You see it? Jesus was trying to set us free from the way our minds bog us down with details like these to a life filled with...well, life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ματθαίος

Nov 6, 2017
Καναδάς
✟19,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe... your response to this thread is, "No, the King James Version is reliable." If so, can I entertain with you the idea, or rather the fact, that King James was a freemason who inverted scripture and made The Word contradict itself?

Isaiah 33:6 in the Hebrew Bible
And He (Yahweh, the LORD) will be the stability of your times, a wealth of salvation, wisdom and knowledge; The fear of Yahweh is his treasure.

KJV Isaiah 33:6
And wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times, and strength of salvation: the fear of the LORD is his treasure.

Here's a video to shorten up what I would have typed.

I've searched up almost every translation that I've read of in blogs; these translations were documented as reliable. Every translation fails the test of that YT video above. For example, it will say something like "God tempted" instead of "God tested." Each (English) translation has one of these "errors". Prove me wrong?

I really think it's funny how the NIV will correct an "error" in the King James Version--error is quoted due to the writer's intention to place it-- while subsequently taking "Jesus" and "hell" out of a few dozen verses. It all kind of reminds me of a dystopia. When you're an English speaking Christian in these times; it's almost impossible to get the truth. The ENTIRE truth.

BTW, for all of my friends who think much older Bibles are 100% true (I was one of them), I checked the 1599 Geneva Bible and it has a mistake too.

But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room, that when he that bade thee, cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, sit up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at table with thee. (GNV)

You are absolutely correct.

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟459,090.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Off topic, but God hates sarcasm. He always tells me to stop when I talk down to myself sarcastically, imagine how He feels when you talk down to others. Also, when I say something sarcastic, He replies literally. Just a warning, not condemnation.
Maybe, but it is exhausting seeing numerous people come onto this site to tell us how we're all reading whatever version of the Bible in the "wrong" translation, whatever that translation may be. Don't you think that's having a bit of a condescending attitude as well? I think, so long as we are reading the Bible and trying to get a grasp on its meaning and actually focusing on Christ, who are we to judge if and what translation it is?

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi Sister ..as paradox as it seems , one of the things which gives me assurance of the verity of the "over all " truths of the scriptures , is the confusion over them . I like KJV but am aware of some of it's translation errors ..for example I often point out Acts 7:45 which incorrectly substitutes the name Jesus for Joshua ..it is an error but a very enlightening one . I do not think it an accident that Moses could not lead the children of Israel into the promised land so that was left to Joshua. As you are aware , Jesus and Joshua are the same name in Hebrew. This should be interesting for any of your Jewish friends . (It is ironic that this error was not seen for 2 or 3 hundred years and has been corrected in most all versions. )
Seeing all of the confusion , it gives me assurance that we are indeed in the times recorded in 2nd Timothy :3 . It also leads me to be given to much prayer and seeking ( which is a fruit of belief ) ( Without faith , it is impossible to please God for you must believe that He is AND that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him . ) Compare to the parable of the widow and unrighteous judge ..when Jesus told this parable , he spoke in regard to incessant prayer and likened it to faith . ( Howbeit, I wonder when I return will I find faith on earth ? )
Lastly ..not to by any means exalt you but I appreciate the humility you have displayed when criticized . May our Lord lead you .

Upvote 0

Senkaku

Shatter the Illusion
Aug 18, 2016
Somewhere
✟66,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single