Visit site
✟89,082.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Titus 1:2 "In hope of eternal life which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began." God promised eternal life to those who believe in Jesus (John 3:16).
Believe in Jesus in what way? It's a rather ambiguous statement.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Where in scripture does the Bible make the distinction between good works, and works of the law? The law is holy and just and good according to Paul (Romans 7:12); are you saying that following the law of God is not good works?

And 1 Corinthians 9 is not talking about losing salvation. The context is speaking of rewards given by serving in the gospel, not of salvation. Believers can lose rewards (2 John 1:8), but cannot lose their salvation (John 5:24, John 10:28, Romans 8:38-39).
The whole chapter of Romans talks about circumcision. Here is a mention of it in Romans 4:
"Is this blessedness only for the circumcised, or also for the uncircumcised? We have been saying that Abraham’s faith was credited to him as righteousness. 10 Under what circumstances was it credited? Was it after he was circumcised, or before? It was not after, but before! 11 And he received circumcision as a sign, a seal of the righteousness that he had by faith while he was still uncircumcised. So then, he is the father of all who believe but have not been circumcised, in order that righteousness might be credited to them. 12 And he is then also the father of the circumcised who not only are circumcised but who also follow in the footsteps of the faith that our father Abraham had before he was circumcised."

Also I won't talk about OSAS since it is not the topic. I will only say that it is both ahistorical and unbiblical.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I actually have absolute assurance of salvation. If ever I have any doubt I can go to scripture and be assured I belong to Him.

I couldn't handle it if I didn't have assurance and feel so very sad for people who are unsure. I wouldn't and couldn't be Christian if I couldn't be sure from day to day whether or not I would make it into heaven.

Salvation is the biggest part of Christianity and if you can't trust in it then Christianity itself falls apart.

Islam taught that if your good deeds outweighed your bad deeds you would be forgiven for your sins and make it into heaven. But in such a situation you clearly see each and every fault and your never sure. (or you are sure your just sure its hell you will see.. lol)

At the same time you wonder about Christians, and ask yourself what Jesus is for? What are Christians getting a "Savior" for? What are they saved from?

And the answer Islam gives is a joke, so you ask Christians...

And I see the truth. Somewhere in my heart I knew this truth.. We can't make it into heaven based on our deeds. We can never be good enough, no matter how hard we try.

And we see a Savior who has the ability to save us. :)

Yeah. Without that I wouldn't be Christian today, and I would cry for anyone who couldn't have surety in their salvation. I know Who I belong to, and where I am going when I die.

And its a beautiful thing. A beautiful God. Full of peace.
It depends on how you view God. I view God as someone who loves mankind and it is we who fall away.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi David-
Can you share what you mean by "I have to work out my salvation every day." This is a question I'd love to respond to but I want to make sure I understand the question correctly.

Do you mean:
  1. If you don't continue to work, you don't have salvation or
  2. You have salvation, but it is unfolding in your life through your actions, words, and attitudes or
  3. Something else. If so, how would you describe it?
Also, when you say you don't have assurance of Salvation do you mean:
  1. You have it, but you might lose it
  2. You don't have it yet, but you might achieve it
  3. You don't know if you have it or not, but are living so as to be worthy of it
Thanks!
I view salvation as becoming one with God, and I am honest that I might fail sometimes in getting closer to him but I know he is merciful in this sinner. It is like a relationship, you keep developing it everyday. :)

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why not take the last step and trust Jesus to do what He said He will do, save you.

What is the path to salvation?

1) Realize that you’re are a sinner. (Romans 3:23, 5:12; 1 John 1:10)

2) Change your mind about Jesus (repent).
  • Jesus said: “…unless you repent (have a change of mind that results in a change of action), you will all perish and be lost eternally. (Luke 13:5)
  • …now God charges all people everywhere to repent. (Acts 17:30)

3) Believe the Gospel, that Jesus Christ died for you, was buried and rose from the dead.
  • We are made right in God’s sight when we trust in Jesus Christ to take away our sins. And we all can be saved in the same way, no matter who we are or what we have done. For God sent Jesus to take the punishment for our sins and to satisfy God’s anger against us. We are made right with God when we believe that Jesus shed His blood, sacrificing His Life for us. (Romans 3:22, 25)
  • For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)

4) Go to God in prayer, confessing Jesus as Lord and your need for forgiveness of your sins. Give your life to Jesus, making Him the Lord of your life.
  • For it is believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. (Romans 10:10)
  • For anyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.(Romans 10:13)

Then you've got to trust Jesus to do His part, to save you, just like He said He will. <~~~Without this part, I spent years doubting my salvation, praying (over & over/again & again) for God to save me, never knowing, for sure, if I was. Ever since I started trusting Jesus to do what He said He will do, I know I'm saved and have never had any doubts about it since then.
I trust Jesus to be merciful on me, however, he does not force me to be with him.

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I view salvation as becoming one with God, and I am honest that I might fail sometimes in getting closer to him but I know he is merciful in this sinner. It is like a relationship, you keep developing it everyday. :)

But how can we know for certain that we won't be the ones who lose it later on in time?

If that is reality then I wouldn't want to stick my head in the sand believing in OSAS.

But if OSAS is true then I don't want extra stress worrying what stupid me will do in the future.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I feel a lot of times when I tell someone that I don't have assurance of Salvation, they believe "I don't have a relationship with Jesus", but it is the opposite, I know that I have to work out my salvation every day.

What is your opinion?

I can't see the sense of following a religion where I have no reasonable assurance of salvation.

We struggle in doing what is right and loving though.

I don't think those who believe in justification sola fide necessarily deny that.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But how can we know for certain that we won't be the ones who lose it later on in time?...If that is reality then I wouldn't want to stick my head in the sand believing in OSAS.

But if OSAS is true then I don't want extra stress worrying what stupid me will do in the future.

John 5:24: “Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”

John 10:28: “And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.”

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But how can we know for certain that we won't be the ones who lose it later on in time?

If that is reality then I wouldn't want to stick my head in the sand believing in OSAS.

One of my problems with OSAS is that it denies the fact that one can lose the faith in the future or just don't care about God at all. Do you think that a person who says he is Christian but doesn't pray, read the Bible, or try to get to know more a lot about God could have the same spiritual level as someone who does all of that stuff?

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One of my problems with OSAS is that it denies the fact that one can lose the faith in the future or just don't care about God at all. Do you think that a person who says he is Christian but doesn't pray, read the Bible, or try to get to know more a lot about God could have the same spiritual level as someone who does all of that stuff?

I don't believe there is such a thing as a carnal Christian.

If they are professing faith in Christianity and their creed is "Do what thou wilt" and they are indistinguishable from satanists from an observer view point.

Then I will believe that they are false converts. Just as the Bible says.

And no I'm not saying they need to be sinless and perfect, but from an observer view point if they act like satanists then I refuse to believe they have the Holy Spirit living inside them.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It depends on how you view God. I view God as someone who loves mankind and it is we who fall away.

I've "wanted" to serve God my whole life. I've wanted to please Him. I've had a life of "works" in this direction my whole life.

I was even at one time quite pleased with my own righteousness (granted i was younger then, and fairly dumb)

Yet... if I had died 5 years ago I would have gone to hell.

The only work that mattered toward my salvation was Christ, and that was His work.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here is an example.

A guy professes faith in Christianity and decides to be racist and murder many innocent people.

I refuse to believe he had the Holy Spirit living inside him. And I consider it blasphemous to believe that a person who acts like the devil has the Holy Spirit in him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here is an example.

A guy professes faith in Christianity and decides to be racist and murder many innocent people.

I refuse to believe he had the Holy Spirit living inside him. And I consider it blasphemous to believe that a person who acts like the devil has the Holy Spirit in him.

That's not the point though.

As James says, if your truly saved works will follow, but they are a result of salvation and not in order to be saved.

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's not the point though.

As James says, if your truly saved works will follow, but they are a result of salvation and not in order to be saved.

Yea I know, Jesus is the one doing the good work for us.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe there is such a thing as a carnal Christian.

If they are professing faith in Christianity and their creed is "Do what thou wilt" and they are indistinguishable from satanists from an observer view point.

Then I will believe that they are false converts. Just as the Bible says.

And no I'm not saying they need to be sinless and perfect, but from an observer view point if they act like satanists then I refuse to believe they have the Holy Spirit living inside them.
People are able to fail to recognize God. I know that God is the best thing ever and superior to all my desires, but I still struggle with them and even I fall to them. Why is it so difficult to think that some people don't want anything to do with God even if they acknowledge him?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've "wanted" to serve God my whole life. I've wanted to please Him. I've had a life of "works" in this direction my whole life.

I was even at one time quite pleased with my own righteousness (granted i was younger then, and fairly dumb)

Yet... if I had died 5 years ago I would have gone to hell.

The only work that mattered toward my salvation was Christ, and that was His work.
I don't even judge who goes to hell or not.

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
People are able to fail to recognize God. I know that God is the best thing ever and superior to all my desires, but I still struggle with them and even I fall to them. Why is it so difficult to think that some people don't want anything to do with God even if they acknowledge him?

Everybody struggles and falls.

I'm talking about people that chose to be extremely evil and don't ever want to repent.

Upvote 0