✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
FWIW, my understanding of the Creeds from my own studies has always been that:
  1. The Apostles’ Creed is the formulation used at Baptism, whereby the individual professes the faith in which he desires to be baptized.
  1. [*]The Nicene Creed is the historic confession of faith of the Church as a corporate body, expanding on the affirmations in the Apostles’ Creed.[*]In token of the above, the Apostle’s Creed is used at services of Holy Baptism and in individual and corporate prayer, including the Daily Office and the Protestant worship services not involving one of the sacraments that were derived from them. It always begins “I believe in God…” The Nicene Creed is properly used at services of the Holy Communion as the witness to the oneness of the church, and is more properly begun with “We believe in God…”[*]The Quicunque Vult or “Athanasian Creed” is nowhere considered a profession of faith, but rather a detailed formulation of the doctrines of the Trinity and Christology implicit in the other two.
Finally, I would have to say that anyone prepared to reject the Creeds “because they aren’t Scriptural” has neither a clue about the Church which identified which books would be included in the Bible nor the ability to “rightly divide Scripture,” because they gather together in one formulation doctrines which are emphatically found in Scripture but scattered throughout its text.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As usual, Polycarp is quite thorough and I am limited to adding 2 or 3 kopecks where Orthopraxis differs in minor points :)

In token of the above, the Apostle’s Creed is used at services of Holy Baptism and in individual and corporate prayer, including the Daily Office and the Protestant worship services not involving one of the sacraments that were derived from them. It always begins “I believe in God…” The Nicene Creed is properly used at services of the Holy Communion as the witness to the oneness of the church, and is more properly begun with “We believe in God…”

Orthodox, always the ones to use a 1000 word prayer when 500 will do :pray: :) , use the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed in individual and corporate prayer, including the Morning Prayers and in the Order for reading Akathists/Canons (esp. in preparation for Holy Communion)

As usual, Thanks Poly ! :clap:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.