NFL on kneeling players' protests: "We were wrong."

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
NFL On Kneeling Players' Protests: 'We Were Wrong,' Commissioner Says

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Friday the NFL admits that "we were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier and encourage all to speak out and peacefully protest."

The statement, made in a video over Twitter, comes a day after nearly 20 players called on the NFL to take a stronger stance amid a nationwide protest of police brutality against black people.

"We, the NFL, condemn racism and the systematic oppression of Black People. We, the NFL, admit we were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier and encourage all to speak out and peacefully protest. We, the NFL, believe Black Lives Matter," the NFL said.

Now, those of us who remember that Donald was an influencing factor in that brouhaha might note that he's losing his influence...

Thoughts?

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,171.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Too bad they caved. Cowards.

Really? You are going to slander them as cowards because you disagree with their position? Is it not possible that they saw the error of their previous position? Do you begrudge the repentance of another?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Really? You are going to slander them as cowards because you disagree with their position? Is it not possible that they saw the error of their previous position? Do you begrudge the repentance of another?
I didn’t say any of that. But to answer your question:

No.
No.
No.

Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
They disallowed an entirely peaceful sign of protest because they didn't want to deal with the fallout with the public.

They knew it was wrong at the time, they just care about money more than they care about anything else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
They disallowed an entirely peaceful sign of protest because they didn't want to deal with the fallout with the public.

They knew it was wrong at the time, they just care about money more than they care about anything else.
Crazy that a business that pays its employees millions of dollars to play a kids game would be concerned about...gasp...money!!

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I didn’t say any of that. But to answer your question:

No.
No.
No.

Yeah, you did call them cowards. You obviously don't think their previous position could have been wrong, when in fact it could have been. And, you don't seem to accept the possibility that they may have made a decision towards the good. In other words, you resent their decision, which is what it means to "begrudge." If you didn't, you wouldn't have labelled them "cowards." Yeah, you said all that.

Last edited:
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Crazy that a business that pays its employees millions of dollars to play a kids game would be concerned about...gasp...money!!

Well now they say they feel bad about it. I'm not sure I believe them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, you did call them cowards. You obviously don't think their previous position could have been wrong, when in fact it could have been. And, you don't seem to accept the possibility that they may have made a decision towards the good. In other words, you resent their decision, which is what it means to "begrudge." If you didn't, you wouldn't have labelled them "cowards." Yeah, you said all that.
I never said that I didn’t call them cowards.

Upvote 0

agapelove

May 1, 2020
San Diego
✟50,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Spoiled millionaires.
This guy right?
nfl.jpg

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I never said that I didn’t call them cowards.

Fair enough. Maybe they did it out of a lack of nerve. I'm open to the possibility they saw the error of not acknowledging the legitimacy of that particular form of protest. I don't know. Usually, I'm cynical. But I really am hoping for better things these days.

Upvote 0