✟8,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone!

I've been a nominal Christian for a while, I've read the Bible and I know a fair amount about a number of denominations. Despite all that, of course, I am still a beginner since I only recently made the decision after years of soul-searching to actually try to live as a Christian.

I know that studying the Bible will be a life-long pursuit, but right now I don't know where to begin since I know that prayerfully studying the Bible is very different from just passively reading it.

I was going to buy a Study Bible to help me, but I realized that all of the Study Bibles I saw were each coming from their own denominational perspective. For example, the ESV Study Bible seems to be Calvinist.

I know that I intend to follow Christ as a Bible-believing Christian and I know that I have to study the Bible from those wiser than myself in order to do that. But I have no idea what resources to get in order to be able to do that. I have no idea what, if any, denomination I may end up in. So how do I proceed to acquire good study materials?

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi; it's so important and so wonderful for daily prayer and Bible reading to concentrate on the Person and Work of the Lord Jesus Christ at the Cross! :)

John's Gospel is so special. Romans is all about the believer's right standing with God through faith in Christ. Hebrews is all about how the Person and finished work at the Cross of the Lord Jesus are better than anything that came before in the Old Testament and can never be improved on in time or eternity. Psalms contain the highs, the lows, the joys, the anguish, the Messianic passages, the sure expressions of faith.

Prayerfully considered, God's Word makes wonderful reading. :)

Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. ~Galatians 1:12

And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual. ~1 Corinthians 2:13

Part of being bold is trusting in God that he will teach you himself and reading the bible without making any choice. You do not need man to teach you the bible. You need God. So pray in faith and ask God in heaven for wisdom and he will give it to you. As it says,

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. ~James 1:5

Therefore I counsel you to read the bible just like a book, making no choice thereby relying on God. I would start with the book of Matthew and then read through the Gospels straight through. Then I would read Proverbs. All by yourself...and God.

Then you can read the entire new testament, meditating in his word, making no choice but just reading it plainly like a book. A letter like a letter. A vision like a vision.

After you've read the entire new testament I would read Genesis all the way back to Matthew. You need not understand everything you read. But reading it is good. God will give you things which you will understand and those things will never leave you.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Get a plain regular English Bible like RSV, instead of a study bible
if you want to learn more from Jesus and less from biased views (as you apparently recognize somewhat already).

Read it through and through, spending time in private prayer with the Father in heaven frequently , daily.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2008
-
✟9,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone!

I've been a nominal Christian for a while, I've read the Bible and I know a fair amount about a number of denominations. Despite all that, of course, I am still a beginner since I only recently made the decision after years of soul-searching to actually try to live as a Christian.

I know that studying the Bible will be a life-long pursuit, but right now I don't know where to begin since I know that prayerfully studying the Bible is very different from just passively reading it.

I was going to buy a Study Bible to help me, but I realized that all of the Study Bibles I saw were each coming from their own denominational perspective. For example, the ESV Study Bible seems to be Calvinist.

I know that I intend to follow Christ as a Bible-believing Christian and I know that I have to study the Bible from those wiser than myself in order to do that. But I have no idea what resources to get in order to be able to do that. I have no idea what, if any, denomination I may end up in. So how do I proceed to acquire good study materials?

Well for my 2 cents heck maybe now days its a nickle, not sure but here ya go : Good Study materials THE BIBLE which bible, pray to find the right one for you, I prefer the King James version because of the omissions of verses of other translations and other bibles. Also it is the most widely used, so if you begin to bible study with someone the chances are better they will have a KJV version. also just a tidbit of info below. there are over 1700 versions available below.

https://www.bible.com/versions#!

Available Versions ( I would imagine there are more )

Total Versions: 1741

Total Languages: 1217

----

https://bible.org/article/why-so-many-versions

Where have all the verses gone? The modern translations seem to have cut out many of the most precious lines of Scripture. They end Mark's gospel at the 8th verse of chapter 16; they omit the reference of the angel of the Lord stirring the waters at the pool of Bethesda (verse 4 of John 5); and, most notably, they excise the story of the woman caught in adultery in John 8.

Besides omissions, these modern versions make significant changes in the text. For example, in I Timothy 3:16, the King James reads, "God was manifest in the flesh," but most modern translations read, "He was manifest in the flesh." In Revelation 22:19 the King James speaks of the "book of life" while virtually all modern versions speak of the "tree of life." Altogether, there are hundreds of textual changes between the King James and modern translations

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Study Bibles and Bible commentaries are beneficial for some people, but I would recommend that you consider getting one of those Bible editions that has four different, well-known translations in parallel columns. Every Christian bookstore has some, and many people find them quite helpful for making difficult Bible passages and verses clear.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maybe a starter package with Logos Bible Software? If you have any idea which denomination lines up closest to your views, they have packages including starter packages designed for denomination specific resources. Otherwise the generic packages likely include resources from various different denominations. In time you will learn, if you have not already, that outside of Scripture, bias is everywhere, despite the efforts of many to be Biblicists, which is the desire for so many of us. Logos btw, works with PC's and on tablets/phones. If you would rather go with free Bible Software, there are a number of different options, from my experiences, the top two would be e-Sword and TheWord Bible Software, with TheWord in the lead. I do not think either of these work with tablets/phones, or that app equivalents exist, though I could be wrong, though it could involve rooting a device, if apk's are available. Anyway, Christianbook.com has an almost endless supply of resources, I do not like their packing and shipping services though. These are just general ideas based on no denominational leanings. Maybe check out J. Vernon McGee (pastor of a non-denominational Church), he sought to be balanced and a Biblicist in his teachings, "Thru The Bible" is his famous (to Christian radio) radio broadcast.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Use the Bible your church uses, it will be easier to follow along. If you can get a parallel Bible that has the translation your church uses on one side of the page, and the KJV on the other side of the page, that can help bridge the gap when you are using "classic" study materials that make use of the KJV.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi everyone!

It's going to be impossible to find study materials that aren't influenced and colored by the beliefs of those who wrote/compiled/edited them. We all come to the Bible with our own thoughts, ideas, prejudices, and notions, our own biases; and so nobody is a blank slate when they approach the Bible, whether as someone raised in the faith their whole life, or a brand new convert.

You will probably get a lot of answers telling you to avoid any study materials and just "go with the Bible alone in prayer, asking God to help you understand it"; and that's going to sound like a really nice spiritual-sounding piece of advice. Except, keep in mind, that everyone who gives that kind of advice, if you sat them down in a room and had a conversation with them about different matters of doctrine, practice, and biblical interpretation all those people who say one should just read the Bible and pray, and that God will give you an answer, all have very different opinions, views, and ideas. In a lot of cases they will have wildly different views from one another than, say, the different perspectives you might find reading different sorts of study materials. Because nobody is infallible, and no where are we given a promise that God will just upload The Truth into our heads if we just pray really, really, really hard.

I'm also not going to try and tell you what church/denomination you should ultimately be part of, because while I certainly have my own views--and biases which might be obvious--I honestly think this is something that deserves serious study, thought, and investigation.

Instead I'll encourage you to be willing to ask yourself big questions, and be willing to challenge your own preconceptions.

I can also tell you a little about my own life experiences in trying to figure out the being a Christian thing. I grew up in the faith, in a non-denominational and later Pentecostal environment (and here I'm not going to bash or criticize either). By my late teenage years/early adulthood I had began asking questions, the sorts of questions that eventually led me to a lot of reading and discussion with many different Christians from across denominational backgrounds. I became very interested in the history of Christianity, and so I pored over history books on the subject, as well as read a lot about what different groups believed, theology in general, and of course, a lot of Bible study. If one is interested in the topic of Christian history, the main three books I always recommend are Church History in Plain Language by Dr. Bruce Shelley, The Story of Christianity by Justo L. Gonzalez, and The Orthodox Church by Timothy Kallistos Ware; the first two are very good, but there is a tendency among western Christian historians to easily gloss over the history of eastern Christianity, that's where Ware's book is so helpful.

It might seem strange to recommend history books in this topic, but history is vitally important to understanding the shape of Christianity as it is today--with all the different denominations and different theological positions held by those denominations.

On the other hand, if that might be a bit too much right now (and I can definitely understand how it might be), honestly just read what you can, ask questions, visit different churches and if you can try to find time to meet with the pastor/priest of the church and just sit down with them. If you are looking for somewhere to begin, you mentioned that you were a nominal Christian for most of your life, but I suspect your family attended a church, start there. If you grew up nominally Methodist, check out a local Methodist church, if you grew up Baptist, check out a local Baptist church, if you grew up Catholic, check out a local Catholic church--and go from there. Start with what is most familiar, and see where it takes you.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

2tim_215

Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2017
New York
✟105,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I recommend the King James Bible (may be a little harder for you, but the best. If you want a good commentary check our Vernon McGee and his Thru the Bible program. You can get it on radio (daily program) or you can get it off his web site (ttb.org). Another good source is Through the Bible on television (you'd have to find out the time and channel) which is very similar. He does a daily Bible study (as does McGee). Of course there are many books out there.

I'd also recommend that you get a Strong's Concordance (if you don't already have one) which is something that every Bible student should have. And there's one more resource I'd recommend and it a software program for free that you can put on your computer and I think your smartphone, Wordsearch Bible download:
https://www.wordsearchbible.com/apps/wordsearch-starter
Be blessed

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone!

Like others have said, the reality of salvation is coming to know who The Lord is, to be one of those who "hear His voice and follow Him" - just as you have mentioned, this is about more than passively reading the bible. In order to recognise Him, He has said "the one who has my commandments and keeps them is the one who loves me, and he will be loved by my father, and I will love him and reveal myself to him" - and yet, there is a lot of confusion about what His commandments are - as you will know already that there seems to be an endless supply of arguments about that.

So what it really means, is learning to discern the commands that come from Jesus (spiritually) from the teachings of man, and as James writes, sometimes we will have to take a hard stand against what others expect of us in order to remain faithful to God.

So because there is a greater number of the wolves in sheep's clothing than the ones who take the narrow path, it is really important to keep this in mind, to be confident to know that you are justified to follow your better judgement until you have found a truth sufficiently convincing.. but also to know that there is such a thing as the convincing truth (ask, seek and knock - it will be given to you).

Every Christian is a bit different in character, and some of them are more pure in their thinking than others, so they shine as lights in different capacities.. not all are of an equally vibrant ability to shine - and yet, this is what Jesus has at hand in order to speak through, so as a Christian it is to His advantage that we purify ourselves and get rid of every self-centred thing that would make it hard for Him to be seen in us.

So if you do happen to find Christians (or even contrite people) that are like that, you'll recognise that they speak a lot of sense and they're able to share wisdom with you. That's one of the greatest things about being Christian and having that personal relationship with Him - it isn't a relationship that is confined to just one person, but He can be everywhere at all times to us (Proverbs 1:20).

Anyhow, it is the word that has power - words have the power to change a person's mind, and to change a person's mind is to change their perspective of reality and by consequence, the way reality approaches them. Some people, having been born again, speak words of life - whereby if any man should drink of the water they give, they would never thirst again, and Jesus said in John 15:3 that it is the words that He had spoken that had cleansed the minds of His disciples.

This is a booklet that I have put together prayerfully for that purpose, to help the reader to think about the scriptures in a perspective that perhaps they wouldn't have thought of otherwise (every page has a topic and it shows how some scriptures are relevant to that topic), and I know that The Lord has a message to share with people when they read it, if they would be inclined to follow Him.

.. another thing to keep in mind is that every English bible has been translated thousands of years after Christ, so they cannot escape the fact of doctrinal bias, and when you have been learning from Christ for some time you will come to quickly recognise that the spirit in the translators (some more than others) is particularly misleading. It's very difficult for a Christian to become the fullness of their potential as a Christian because of the incapacity of English translations to convey the full original meaning - and not to mention the corrupting influence of the greater number that handle scripture but do not really represent Jesus Christ (Philippians 2:20-21).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone!

If you want historical back ground of 1st century BC - 1st century AD Judea, Galilee etc. The Jewish General Flavius Josephus wrote a history of the area and its people in the first century AD. It is titled, "Antiquities of the Jews." He also wrote, "Wars," dealing with the Jewish revolt of 66 AD - 70 AD and the destruction of Jerusalem, the temple, etc. Tradition indicates Peter and Paul were martyred during the time this war happened. Josephus wrote a brief description of the activities of John the Baptist and Jesus.

If you want a history of the church after Acts of the Apostles by Luke, then you might check "Ecclesiastical History," by Eusebius. He wrote a church history of the first 300 years after Christ's ministry began.

If you are near a theological seminary, you might ask permission to read there for additional information.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone!

You can start with Chuck Missler's Bible in 24 hours .
Buy KJV not New KJV
Most important thing a Christian should do is preach gospel of Christ . The Gospel is 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 and you go win souls with it . If you are too shy start with printing verses in order and simply leaving them in mailboxes .
If you are in USA you can order gospel tracks for free and put them into mailboxes aswell .

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone!

Seek a Bible believing church in your local community. Ask God where He would have you attend worship. Attend several Sunday morning worship services and see how much they seek to follow the word of God in the Bible. Make an appointment with a Pastor or Elder of the church. Discuss your situation with them. Ask them about how they disciple their church members. If the church you are visiting does not hold the Bible to a high reverence as the inerrant and all sufficient word of God, leave that church immediately and seek another church.

Denominations have no eternal significance. The Bible is what matters. Read and study the Bible frequently. Ask God to connect you to a mentor, someone who can disciple you.

For example, the ESV Study Bible seems to be Calvinist.

Are you against Calvinism? Have you actually researched Reformed Theology from the original authors?

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If one is interested in the topic of Christian history, the main three books I always recommend are Church History in Plain Language by Dr. Bruce Shelley, The Story of Christianity by Justo L. Gonzalez, and The Orthodox Church by Timothy Kallistos Ware; the first two are very good, but there is a tendency among western Christian historians to easily gloss over the history of eastern Christianity, that's where Ware's book is so helpful.
This means a lot coming from you, your knowledge base is incredible so these books must be real gems!!

Upvote 0
Jul 11, 2018
Oregon
✟8,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you against Calvinism? Have you actually researched Reformed Theology from the original authors?

It looks like I was wrong about the ESV Study Bible having a Calvinist slant. My bad. I'm leaning toward getting that study bible as a start for now.

Upvote 0