Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but also NIV, NASB, Holman, etc. I don't think any is more conservative than the others (though I think the NIV tends to be weirder at times, particularly with Paul).

If you want something that isn't intended for conservatives, the NRSV is the usual recommendation for formal equivalence, or CEB for something slightly easier to read.
New King James, KJ21 and the King James itself are all used by conservative born again believers.

Upvote 0

BuckeyeBaby

Sep 18, 2018
✟8,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My answer is a little late on this question but, thought I would share anyway! :)

When I first started studying as a "newbie" the very first recommendation I received was Matthew Henry's Commentary. I was not a scholarly person nor had I ever read anything from the 18th century so it seemed odd at first as I went to the bookstore and bought the "entire" hardback copy commentary that was huge! (LOL) 1200 pages to be exact but, I lugged it with me everywhere and for me this commentary was awesome and I used it daily for years and years!

A few other book titles I had in my "real book" library also recommended to me are listed below.
1. The New Strongs Exhaustive Concordance
2. Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words

Regarding Bibles: I tried the Amplified Bible at first simply because of it's "additional information" perspective. But, I didn't stay long with this version as it was too "wordy" for me personally. I then went back to the bible I had grown up with the Kings James Bible, then to the New King James and even tried a few other's as well. I wanted to grasp the understanding ( nuisances) of the original Greek and Hebrew language. I studied what "other's thought" was the closest to the original text ( and there are many, many opinions about that ) however, for me I ended up studying ( and still do ) with the New International Version.

As the years passed and the technological era grew a plethora of resources became instantly available enabling anyone, anywhere in the world to study and learn online. Below are two I have used over the years.

1. Bible Gateway: Bible Gateway holds a plethora of information including 150 different versions of the Bible, commentaries, studies and much more! Great resource! ( Link here: BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.

2. Bible Hub: Also an incredible online resource offering a plethora of information, multilingual, it too is a "one-stop shop" including commentaries, study resources and the list goes on. ( Link Here: Bible Hub: Search, Read, Study the Bible in Many Languages )

Regarding Church: Oh my have I "church-hopped" through the years. The Lord immediately sent me to the mission field ( in the U.S.) after becoming a "newbie" in Christ. During that time I tried every church from non-denominational to Baptist, Methodist, Holiness to Pentecostal and the list goes on. I was raised in a small country Methodist Church so I felt "comfortable" there in the beginning but, haven't stayed there. I tell you this only because it is a personal choice and/or decision with the church you choose. Every one of these churches has a doctrine of beliefs that are important yes, and you want that to be biblically aligned but, still today I wished there were not so many varying denominations it's confusing for anyone coming into the Christian faith and I still don't understand why we can't just all "get along" (LOL) That's an oversimplification for certain- but, on your journey keep an open mind and realize everyone worships, prays, dances, sings, and has a different way of expressing themselves to the Lord and I think I could write a book on those experiences! (LOL) Find the one that makes sense for you and brings you peace and do not be afraid to try a few if you need too before you get there!

I am thankful God has called you to a closer walk with him and pray he blesses you abundantly as you continue to walk out your faith!

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0