• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Newcomer and struggle with faith

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Richie1027, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Richie1027

Richie1027 New Member

+2
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    hello
    I’m a 65 y/o cradle catholic. I left the church in 1969, and found my way back 5 yrs ago after attending a couple retreats at the request by several Christian men I’ve met. Wonderful experiences, but despite church attendance and daily prayer, I can’t seem to feel any love for Jesus and I don’t experience the passion some of my friends feel and demonstrate in their lives. My life clock is ticking and I really would like to feel closer to my creator, and more importantly WANT to do His will.
    Appreciate any suggestions that anyone might have. Thank you

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Serving Zion

Serving Zion Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness Supporter

+704
    Christian
    Private
    Welcome to the forums! .. it is written that faith is a gift from God, (in the context that grace is what saves us, through faith). I suppose that should bring a few questions to mind for you.

.. seeing as our choices in life can cause us to become more or less like a person that is useful for God, in producing such faith, it is important to be mindful of our choices. You are seeking out company with those who can encourage your faith to grow, and you haven't covered your transgressions, so that is all positive! :) It is treacherous though, and one can easily find those who make confession fearsome and inflate the ego to fruitlessness.. so I should suggest that you go looking around all the different churches in your area. The spirit of love doesn't belong to one church or another.. it is very much a culture that develops through individual and collective choices.

Here is a little booklet to help get you thinking about the real essence of Christianity, and that is, truly getting to know Him whom we worship, and to know how we can contribute toward His campaign in redeeming the world from sin.

3. Ancient of Days

Ancient of Days Well-Known Member Supporter

+709
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Get a KJV bible and start reading his words intensely. Prayer.

4. maintenance man

maintenance man Member Supporter

+81
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    You faith comes alive when you serve God by serving others.

Look around and see where God is working in your neighborhood then join in the effort.

Actively pursue God - don't just sit around waiting for Him - He's already with you, waiting on you to get busy with Him.

5. Thee Librarian

Thee Librarian New Member

+16
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    God is seeking your Faith in Him.
    That is His will.

6. Soyeong

Soyeong Well-Known Member

+2,820
    Messianic
    Single
    Jesus loves you so much that he died for you, so you should be able to recognize how much he loves you regardless of how you feel about it. If you want to get closer, then I would suggest spending at least an hour a day reading the Bible and in prayer, which is how God makes His will known.

7. Brotherly Spirit

Brotherly Spirit Well-Known Member Supporter

+453
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Richie I think love is more then what you feel, but never feeling it is an indicator needing to be addressed. We should do things like fellowship and pray, sometimes even when we don't feel the love for it. Except just as you give, it's in return of what's received from the Lord. It's a relationship of being thankful and considerate, everything you do try to have both in mind. Also helps to remember a relationship is supposed to be personal, it's not all about knowledge and work. Examples are singing praise to the Lord or sharing in fellowship something important to you about Him.

Thank you for joining the forum and sharing your faith with us. I hope you find the Lord in a way that's fulfilling. God bless!

8. Richie1027

Richie1027 New Member

+2
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Thank you. I often wonder about just what you tapped into....what I see as the character or substance of what I think I should feel. Cognitively I understand the Trinity, the sacrifice of Jesus to atone for all our sins, and our need to love each other and Him (written very simply).
    I’ll need to reflect a bit on your words, and try not to over analyze. Thanks so much

9. Richie1027

Richie1027 New Member

+2
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Thanks Mike. Well said

10. Richie1027

Richie1027 New Member

+2
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Thank you. Your post had me looking at. How “hard” I try to find faith through deeds, works and intellectual means.

11. Southernscotty

Southernscotty Well-Known Member Supporter Angels Team

+6,390
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Welcome to CF Richie and I pray that you are blessed here richly :]
    "Love is what one does, Not what one feels"
    A hot cup of coffee and some intense book of Romans study is a great recipe for heart building :]