Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,154,707.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
To answer the original question: Yes, any church will be happy to mentor a new Christian. Often it will be the pastor, but not necessarily.

Unfortunately we now have a problem: churches view the Christian life differently. The differences tend to break down into three major families, Catholics, liberal Protestants and conservative Protestants. But the most serious issue for someone new is legalism. What I'd do with a new Christian is try to get the started developing good habits, e.g. prayer and worship, make sure they're got a good grounding in the basics of CHristianity, and maybe help them identify opportunities for some kind of Christian service.

If a church starts out by asking about the details in your life, demanding that you stop this and that, I'd worry, particularly if the things aren't that important. Based on postings here, it sounds like there are a lot of churches that are mostly about not violating a long list of rules, many of which aren't even Biblical. (Of course being a Christian probably will cause some changes in your life. But it's a matter of priorities, and what kind of changes.) If a church's approach makes you wonder why you wanted to be a Christian in the first place, you probably want to investigate alternatives.

In person contact is a good idea. CF can't take the place of a church. But if you have reasons to wonder about what you're hearing, we can give you a sanity check. Of course not all of us agree, but still, you'll normally get a range of responses.

At some point you will have to face the issue of the kind of Church you want. I listed the major divisions: liberal and conservative Protestant, and Catholic. The issues between them are complex, and I can't do justice to there here. Probably the key difference between liberal and conservative is whether you take the Bible to be a direct message from God (allowing for differences between poetry and prose, etc.) which we can go to for answers directly [conservative]; or a record of the experience of Israel and the early Christians with God, but which was also affected by the knowledge and opinions of the authors [liberal]. This has all kinds of implications on things such as creation, sexual ethics, and gender roles. (Conservatives will also generally feel more strongly about traditional Christian ideas, while some liberals will try to base beliefs directly on the Bible, avoiding or deemphasizing traditional ideas such as the Trinity.)

It's hard to give you a sense quickly, but let me try some resources.
1. Here's the "what we believe" section from the Presbyterian Church (USA). They are a typical liberal church. What Do Presbyterians Believe? — Presbyterians Today Magazine — Mission and Ministry — Presbyterian Mission Agency. Note however that the church is mixed, with some fairly conservative and some quite liberal, so this page is sort of a compromise.

2. Here's a similar page for the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, a conservative church: Belief and Practice - The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod

3. I'm not in as good a position on Catholic issues, but perhaps this might be an equivalent: Welcome to Catholic Life - Catholic Life - Catholic Online

One of the best online sites about religion is patheos.com. They have "channels" for the major variants of Christian. However the site tends to be liberal, so the "evangelical" channel, which you'd expect to be conservative, tends to be more liberal than average evangelicals, and their "progressive" channel tends to be more liberal than average people from churches such as the PC(USA). They also have a Catholic section. However these are really intended for members of those orientations; they aren't introductions.

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hedrick makes some very good points about the dangers of legalistic churches. I'm a firm believer in unity without uniformity. Some churches are exactly the opposite (celebrating the separation and a very narrow set of views).

Probably the key difference between liberal and conservative is whether you take the Bible to be a direct message from God (allowing for differences between poetry and prose, etc.) which we can go to for answers directly [conservative]; or a record of the experience of Israel and the early Christians with God, but which was also affected by the knowledge and opinions of the authors [liberal].

It is true that conservative Christians tend to follow a more divinely-directed literal view of the Bible where all events are factual, while liberal Christians allow for more human input and story-based lessons rather than factual events in some cases.

However, there is a view that allows for the positive elements of both. That is, the belief that all scripture is inspired by God and is without error. However, it purposely contains mystery, cryptic language, and room for multiple interpretations. It is living, liquid, and adaptable to all times, cultures, and circumstances. There is universal truth, but it is too complex for any human to grasp all of it. Therefore, the Holy Spirit alone can give us the wisdom to interpret in context with our own life.

Some conservatives would call this position too relative, stating that scripture is plainly written and should be consistently interpreted as such. Some liberals would say that it isn't relative enough, stating that we should draw our own conclusions, and focus more attention on our relationship with God and others.

I see it as the best of both worlds without compromise. However, it leaves us with responsibility... Serious Bible study with an eye towards different perspectives and how the teachings of the Bible fit together. It's kind of like studying macro economics (which, like Bible study, is all too neglected by the world).

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know lads, I really don't; this is an issue I think you have to struggle with.

I mean if you're a true Born in the spirit Christian and you're ignoring God's quiet voice...
This is something I've done and I'm doing, putting things off saying yes Lord I know it's bad but continuing to wallow in the mire. Well I can always feel the spirit withdrawing somewhat in these occasions. I wonder is their a tipping point you can slip over into reprobation?

I think there is and I just be careful is all I'm saying, Peter talks about this when he says is 2 Peter 2:20-22

Tis a frightful thing is it not to behold the wrath of the Lord.

Listen guys I'm not the judge, Christ is our righteousness, this is more of a letter to myself I'm not pointing fingers but I'd be careful, is all I'm saying.
Be VERY careful when reading things like this. As I said, go to the Bible, yourself, and you will find some startling things.

Do not just believe what you read here, or anywhere. Open the book! Read it for yourself.

This entire chapter of 2 Peter is talking about false teachers. It is saying nothing at all about "slipping" Christians.

Upvote 0

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟38,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Again, thank you all for your helpful links and advice. It's all going to good use.

I've been continuing to read about various denominations, but it's still becoming quite a difficult task in choosing even a handful of churches to look into. There aren't very many solid sources I've found that offer clear distinctions between denominations (or at least in doctrine rather than practice), but I seem to be narrowing it down to Methodist, Baptist and Lutheran...there are things I agree with and disagree with about all three, but then again, maybe what I personally consider to be agreeable/disagreeable doesn't match up with what's actually in the Bible. Thus is my desire for further study.

hedrick and Peripatetic both make excellent points. For the most part, I share the latter's view on the scriptures and belief in "unity without uniformity", though I feel I might lean *slightly* more conservative. I believe the Bible should be adaptable to personal relatability in modern times, but not so much that it becomes a loose guideline rather than a strict authority. Again, half-and-half. I'm curious, though, Peripatetic, for someone who has such a view, which church do you belong to?

Another thing I've been wondering about is "megachurches". A couple of the churches that have been recommended to me appear to be huge congregations with attendance in the thousands and I'm worried I might find that a bit too impersonal as a "beginner". What are the benefits of a megachurch over a smaller local church besides the size? Would it be better to start out with a smaller church and possibly move forward once I'm further indoctrinated into the faith?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been continuing to read about various denominations, but it's still becoming quite a difficult task in choosing even a handful of churches to look into. There aren't very many solid sources I've found that offer clear distinctions between denominations (or at least in doctrine rather than practice), but I seem to be narrowing it down to Methodist, Baptist and Lutheran...

Again, I'd encourage you to attend a church, and compare what they say with the Bible. Some churches have sermons online, e.g. Mars Hill.

In the space you're thinking of, the main distinctives are:

* baptism of babies (Baptist: no / Methodist & Lutheran: yes)

* how conservative churches are theologically (Methodist: less conservative, Baptist: it depends, Lutheran Missouri Synod: more conservative, other Lutheran: less conservative)

* formality of the service (Lutheran: very, Methodist: some, Baptist: less so)

Another thing I've been wondering about is "megachurches". A couple of the churches that have been recommended to me appear to be huge congregations with attendance in the thousands and I'm worried I might find that a bit too impersonal as a "beginner".

That is a downside. Some megachurches have very good teaching (though that's not guaranteed). Usually they supplement the big Sunday meeting with small groups.

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious, though, Peripatetic, for someone who has such a view, which church do you belong to?

You asked a simple question, but I'm going to give you a long answer. :)

For me, the "unity without uniformity" concept is part of my daily walk with faith (which includes church, but extends beyond). I guess you could say that I have a varied background, and want to keep it that way. In my younger years, my family was Charismatic Catholic, so I was exposed to outward spirituality (speaking in tongues, raise-the-roof singing, spontaneous praise, etc.). I went to a Presbyterian college, and attended chapel while I was there. My wife grew up in Baptist and non-denominational churches. We currently belong to a more traditional Catholic church, but I listen to a variety of evangelical and mainline Protestant sermons via podcast on my commute to work. I like the reverence of a liturgical mass, but find that protestants do a better job of Bible study. So I choose both.

Like my parents did for me, I teach my kids a balanced view that respects, embraces, and explores the differences, while trying to avoid the pitfalls and arguments of secondary doctrines. I think each denomination gets most of it right, a little bit wrong, and brings something special that the others don't.

All that said, I am very wary of churches that diverge from the Bible's core teachings. This can happen in any denomination, but may be more likely in independent fringe churches where one pastor has too much power and influence. The first sign is often a narrow "us vs. them" attitude towards other Christians. There are also very Biblical independent churches, but discernment is important.

I pray that you'll find the right match. Your motivations are certainly in the right place, so I'm confidant that God will lead you to the right destination... it may have some twists and turns though!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stephen Kendall

believer of Jesus Christ
Sep 28, 2008
USA
✟9,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know I need to find a church, but I'm also seeking further study and education, counsel with a pastor, etc. and I don't know where to find it. Is this something all churches offer? Does it depend on the denomination? How much does a denomination matter to those brand new to the faith like myself (who grasp the essentials but not yet the specifics)?

You must get your faith and relationship uniquely and personally between you and your Father through his son Jesus.

Please read the Chapter 14 of Romans to understand an important point about churches (even the earliest individual churches may be just the start of our modern denominations). Apostle Paul helps them to obey Christ by respecting, honoring and loving one another, even when believing quite differently.

The Faith battle (warring denominations) is the friction of our ignorance & immaturity as Christians and our zeal to please God. We please God by adhering to his son's teachings and commands, for in them and obedience to them is our bond and real church alone. The main obstacle towards this is believing in the middle men of now and through history and not in the guidance through God's Holy Spirit and helper for each of us, sent by Jesus. These middle men unify to develop theories calling them through theologies to guide entire church systems forming the tools for divisions. All of this is complicated for a new believer. I hate to burden you and don't do justice to, but as a new babe, you are vulnerable to be misguided.

Please just seal your faith and wisdom through the inspired writings of the New Testament. Growing in your faith with the Holy Spirit teaching you and guiding. It is an amazing journey in this way. You can hardly be made captive to the church doctrines out there. Don't ever choose a denomination or it particular doctrines, no matter how well they sound or how ancient they are, chose instead the real guidance and nurturing help from God through his Holy Spirit.

Welcome to an amazing home where there are obedient ones of Christ found throughout the world under the many banners of denominations. I go to different churches and accept all who believe in Jesus and follow and obey him.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't ever choose a denomination

Do choose a denomination. You can't be a Christian on your own, and people who attempt to do so wind up being a denomination of exactly one person, which is not a good kind of denomination.

In his classic book Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis writes "I hope no reader will suppose that 'mere' Christianity is here put forward as an alternative to the creeds of the existing communions--as if a man could adopt it in preference to Congregationalism or Greek Orthodoxy or anything else. It is more like a hall out of which doors open into several rooms. If I can bring anyone into that hall I shall have done what I attempted. But it is in the rooms [that is, the denominations], not in the hall, that there are fires and chairs and meals. The hall is a place to wait in, a place from which to try the various doors, not a place to live in. For that purpose the worst of the rooms (whichever that may be) is, I think, preferable."

Upvote 0

Stephen Kendall

believer of Jesus Christ
Sep 28, 2008
USA
✟9,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do choose a denomination. You can't be a Christian on your own, and people who attempt to do so wind up being a denomination of exactly one person, which is not a good kind of denomination.
[/COLOR]"

You must be convinced of your faith or less than that follows with doubt and sin. I love and go to many churches and also love and appreciate my many different brothers and sisters. I claim no church in particular and would not recommend any. We meet together, but we obey Christ and follow him, this is all I can tell others for it is my convinced faith. Maybe for me, I know too much before being so weak as to follow Apollus, Paul or Cephas (1 Corinthians 1:12). We should all be mature, but the weak ones should at least hear Paul in Romans Chapter 14 (to respect, edify and love one another, even of their weaker faiths). Please understand me, I am not an answer to maturity, but the development of our faith is part of our conviction and commitment of God. Paul tried to gently guide the believers of different churches into obeying Christ. When I am at a Seventh Day Adventist Church at pot luck, I don't bring my favorite pork sauerkraut casserole or I would be disobeying Christ if I did. When I am at the Baptist, I would bring it. When I am at the Methodist, I wouldn't talk about my homemade blueberry wine. When I am at any of them, I shouldn't really talk about my lack of the Trinity belief, except for that of visiting my sister's church, Jehovah Witnesses' Kingdom Hall. How about Mitt Romney's? There too, I have much knowledge and should keep the peace by being quiet, just upholding Christ & his teachings and commands. Loving each other is important, which is obeying Christ. Believing a church's doctrine is second to loving each other (fulfilling the Gospel, the Law, the Prophets and fulfilling the will of God & proof of loving God himself). Do you understand what I have been trying to say. It is sometimes a little difficult to be clear about things, but you should see where I am coming from.

To answer your statement of being a denomination of one (or a division of the bride of Christ of one), nonsense would be my best answer. I won't stand for division to be unified somehow with Christ, nonsense, of course! I chose to know what I have learned from God, because I asked him many questions. My faith teaches me to be much like Paul, to better know the will of God. I don't follow Paul, but I do listen to him and earnestly seek to understand God and to obey and follow him through his son Jesus Christ, my Lord and savoir. I don't go out to different churches because I am weak seeking the right one for me, but I go like Paul to help establish, maintain and keep God's love for all Christians, those who obey and follow the teachings & commands of Christ. I seek to strengthen Christians' faith and following of Jesus. Some Churches are more of a challenge than others, but you would be surprised at how many persons are trying to obey Jesus and follow him. Let there be peace between us, for I choose no division or should I say denomination. Much love and respect. I must add also, that I go to different churches because it does my heart good to spend time with other Christians, to share with them, to be led by the Holy Spirit to speak or to listen and to have fellowship. Have the best day ever, brother!

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In his classic book Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis writes "I hope no reader will suppose that 'mere' Christianity is here put forward as an alternative to the creeds of the existing communions--as if a man could adopt it in preference to Congregationalism or Greek Orthodoxy or anything else. It is more like a hall out of which doors open into several rooms. If I can bring anyone into that hall I shall have done what I attempted. But it is in the rooms [that is, the denominations], not in the hall, that there are fires and chairs and meals. The hall is a place to wait in, a place from which to try the various doors, not a place to live in. For that purpose the worst of the rooms (whichever that may be) is, I think, preferable."

If you're saying we should be in fellowship with other Christians, I completely agree. I don't see why though we are obligated to choose a denomination. Man created denominations, not God.

John 16:13

When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.

The Holy Spirit guides us into all truth. If it is Gods will we join a particular denomination, that's fine, but otherwise I don't read of any such obligation in scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you're saying we should be in fellowship with other Christians, I completely agree. I don't see why though we are obligated to choose a denomination.

The OP needs to find a group of Christians (Catholics, Lutherans, Presbyterians, whatever) and join them. Share their beliefs and practices. Share their ups and downs.

Not stand aloof as a sort of "connoisseur" of churches. To quote C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters:

"Surely you know that if a man can't be cured of churchgoing, the next best thing is to send him all over the neighbourhood looking for the church that 'suits' him until he becomes a taster or connoisseur of churches ... the search for a 'suitable' church makes the man a critic where the Enemy [i.e. God] wants him to be a pupil."

Of course, this is advice from an (imaginary) demon -- one should do the opposite.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The OP needs to find a group of Christians (Catholics, Lutherans, Presbyterians, whatever) and join them. Share their beliefs and practices. Share their ups and downs.

Not stand aloof as a sort of "connoisseur" of churches. To quote C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters:

"Surely you know that if a man can't be cured of churchgoing, the next best thing is to send him all over the neighbourhood looking for the church that 'suits' him until he becomes a taster or connoisseur of churches ... the search for a 'suitable' church makes the man a critic where the Enemy [i.e. God] wants him to be a pupil."

Of course, this is advice from an (imaginary) demon -- one should do the opposite.

On the contrary, what He needs is to be led by the Holy Spirit. God will guide Him where He wants him to go. I believe everyone should be part of a local body of believers, but it doesn't have to be a denomination. It could be a house church, for instance.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I am at any of them, I shouldn't really talk about my lack of the Trinity belief

Now we come down to it: you are not a Christian (in the sense that the CF SoF defines the term). You should not be commenting in the "Christians Only" area. You should certainly not be giving advice to Christians.

Our rules say: "Do not post in the forums reserved for Christians only, unless you are truly a Nicene Creed, Trinitarian Christian (please see our Statement of Faith to know exactly what that is)."

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every house church is a denomination (it has shared beliefs and practices). It's just a very small denomination.

I believe a denomination is an organization that has authority over at least two churches. A single church doesn't qualify as a denomination.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe a denomination is an organization that has authority over at least two churches. A single church doesn't qualify as a denomination.

That's not a correct definition. Some formally constituted denominations have only a single congregation. On the other hand, some denominations contain multiple congregations, but have no authority over them.

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Take one day at a time and get some inspirational friends that love God by their actions. Read the bible and pray daily. Get involved in a serious church. Its a life long lifestyle and you will know God more and more. True faith is demonstrated by actions than then the feelings will come.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's not a correct definition. Some formally constituted denominations have only a single congregation. On the other hand, some denominations contain multiple congregations, but have no authority over them.

de·nom·i·na·tion

noun \di-ˌnä-mə-ˈnā-shən\
Definition of DENOMINATION

: an act of denominating

: a value or size of a series of values or sizes (as of money)

: name, designation; especially : a general name for a category

: a religious organization whose congregations are united in their adherence to its beliefs and practices

It's not a denomination if there isn't more than one congregation

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2012
✟15,338.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Congratulations you have found the pearl of great price! Culture a thankful heart. God didn't have to take the blinders off, but He did for reasons best known to Him. Do not be in too much of a hurry to explain your discoveries to unsaved friends or family. You need time to solidify. You need grounding in the scriptures. Because of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit you have a newfound capability to discover life, order and hope in the Bible. Focus on the Gospels, particularly Luke. It is more to receive an impartation of the life of Jesus into your spirit, than it is a matter of education. We don't "learn the Christian life" as much as we receive life from Jesus as a governing dynamic. It is more about impartation than imitation.

Although Church attendance is helpful, a good "round-table talk" regimen with a few trusted friends of faith will progress you more resolutely at this point. A good book for you to get is The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey.

In your prayer times speak naturally and pause often to determine whether the Lord is whispering something back to you. Your spirit will know when this occurs and you will probably receive some suggestion of a scripture or two to back things up. Prayer is not just a matter of keeping your own jaw flapping.

On our blog herein take a look at the poem Returning With Thanks.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Mattp HB88. You had some good advice. Here is one more.
In Matthew 22, verses 35-40, Jesus tells a Lawyer: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: Love thy neighbour as thyself." Then Jesus gives us this great truth: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." Love is very important to God, freely given and no tags attached. How to start? Treat all we know and meet, friends and not friends, as we would love to be treated: kindly and with friendly words, good advice and always stand up for Love and Compassion and Charity. Jesus will give us his Love and Joy, and the Holy Spirit will empower us with His Love, also.
( Matthew 7, verses 7-8) We ask, and thank, and share all Love and Joy with all around us: keep asking, thanking and sharing. God will see our sincere efforts, and God will approve and bless us.
We might stumble and forget at times, but then we get up and carry on asking, thanking, loving and caring. People will notice, and treat us the same,
and God will know that we love God: How? Because we are following God`s Commandments to love and care. Love is a Christian`s great weapon to overcome all enmity, and all wrongs: great and small.
Keep showing your Love for God, Matt, and ask Him in prayer what you would love God to do for you. Jesus our Saviour is ever-ready to help and lead us.
Jesus is The Way. I say this with love. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ. P.S. All we say or do, and all we stand for, should be from Love for God, and love for our neighbour.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.