California
✟37,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Greetings! This question's likely been asked a billion times before, so I'll make it a billion and one. Quite simply, at the age of 24, I'm just now discovering the Christian faith and I'd like some slight guidance through the process as I'm not sure where or how to proceed.

Although I've always believed in God, I've never been raised in or exposed to any manner of religious setting; I've never even been in a church before. It wasn't until a month or so ago during a very dark period in my life when I received the sudden, inexplicable urge to start looking for answers within Christianity, which led to much engaging research before inevitably leading me to read the Bible for the first time. It really feels like the pieces of my life are starting to come together because of this, but I'm barely starting at square one and don't know where to go from here to help myself better understand and become closer with God. I know I need to find a church, but I'm also seeking further study and education, counsel with a pastor, etc. and I don't know where to find it. Is this something all churches offer? Does it depend on the denomination? How much does a denomination matter to those brand new to the faith like myself (who grasp the essentials but not yet the specifics)?

Sorry for such broad questions. I don't mind doing more reading on my own time, but I feel it'd be more effective to simply speak with a knowledgeable Christian; since I don't happen to know any, I decided to come here. I'm not expecting a quick and concrete answer as that's my own to ultimately figure out, I'd just appreciate a point forward in a slightly less vague direction. I'll answer any questions which might help specify an answer. I also live in Huntington Beach, California, if there are any Orange County-based members willing to help me out. Thanks. :)

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Question your faith try to knock it down and find the answers to the apparent holes in the faith. Christianity is robust and will stand the test on any probing provided you trust God and know that he will answer you in his own time.

I'm like the biggest doubter ever of Christianity. Yet my faith is solid as a rock because it's based on the Rock(Christ btw ahamhmm).

Anywho. Lectures are good and debates, love to listen to them on my Mp3 player.

Let me recommend some people for you.

A must for all Christians is Dr. William Lane Craig. Dawkins won't even debate this guy.

Mike Licona - Anybody attacking the authenticity of the gospels he's your man.

Ian Juby - If you're into creation science this guy eats evolutionists for breakfast and is really funny.

Gary Habermas - On the resurrection and evidences.

Well that will get you started. Welcome to true peace and rest in Christ. I almost envy you doing it all again. Such a journey. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟37,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm familiar with the writings of Dr. Craig; I'll look up the other names. I actually began with a primer in apologetics; that's what really started to draw me, in the sense that it cleared up many of my initial doubts. It's hard to explain - mostly because, like I said, I'm primarily going off strong instinct rather than experience, which is where you're all coming from - but while I can grasp the 'academic' aspects of Christianity, so to speak (apologetics, history, etc.), my grey areas are the religion itself and the majority of the Bible. There's only so much the internet, as biased as it can sometimes be, can truly provide me with in the absence of first-hand experience or hands-on teaching. Not to speak ill of the many lectures and books which are beneficial (and I'll get to them), but I'll eventually need to know how to bring everything together into one, because at this moment it feels like....well, like my faith is fractured into separate components - my personal faith in God, the parts of the Bible I've been studying, the theological essays I've read - but they haven't all come together into anything cohesive or coherent. I hope somebody has an idea of what I'm talking about.

I hope I'm not coming off as offensive or anything; I'm almost afraid like I'm describing Christianity like test-driving a new car. Maybe it sounds like I'm jumping into it, and maybe I am, but the more I read and discover, the stronger I feel an indescribable closeness to it. It's making a lot of sense, but then again, it's also not making a lot of sense. I'm just trying to figure things out.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Greetings! This question's likely been asked a billion times before, so I'll make it a billion and one. Quite simply, at the age of 24, I'm just now discovering the Christian faith and I'd like some slight guidance through the process as I'm not sure where or how to proceed.

Welcome!

Keep reading the Bible, and read books about being a Christian (that's probably more important than reading more apologetics). Anything by CS Lewis is good, especially Mere Christianity.

Online, I recommend Desiring God.

And you need to find a denomination -- look for one that fits with what you read in your Bible. They'll be able to give you lots more help. If Garden Grove is anywhere near you, Mars Hill is probably a good option, from what I hear.

I'll eventually need to know how to bring everything together into one, because at this moment it feels like....well, like my faith is fractured into separate components - my personal faith in God, the parts of the Bible I've been studying, the theological essays I've read - but they haven't all come together into anything cohesive or coherent.

It will come together. For one thing, Christians have been thinking about exactly that question for 2,000 years. For another, as the Holy Spirit works in your heart, you will begin to see how more and more things fit together.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Although I've always believed in God, I've never been raised in or exposed to any manner of religious setting; I've never even been in a church before. It wasn't until a month or so ago during a very dark period in my life when I received the sudden, inexplicable urge to start looking for answers within Christianity, which led to much engaging research before inevitably leading me to read the Bible for the first time. It really feels like the pieces of my life are starting to come together because of this, but I'm barely starting at square one and don't know where to go from here to help myself better understand and become closer with God. I know I need to find a church, but I'm also seeking further study and education, counsel with a pastor, etc. and I don't know where to find it. Is this something all churches offer? Does it depend on the denomination? How much does a denomination matter to those brand new to the faith like myself (who grasp the essentials but not yet the specifics)?

Sorry for such broad questions. I don't mind doing more reading on my own time, but I feel it'd be more effective to simply speak with a knowledgeable Christian; since I don't happen to know any, I decided to come here. I'm not expecting a quick and concrete answer as that's my own to ultimately figure out, I'd just appreciate a point forward in a slightly less vague direction. I'll answer any questions which might help specify an answer. I also live in Huntington Beach, California, if there are any Orange County-based members willing to help me out. Thanks. :)

Welcome brother. The most important thing you need to understand is that to be a Christian is to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. To have that relationship you need to be born again. Do you know what that means? You also need to know who Jesus is, what He has done for you, what happens when you become a Christian, and what a life lived for Christ looks like. There is a lot to know, but truly the most basic thing is that you need to understand the gospel. Would you say you do understand it?

When you are born again, God sends His Holy Spirit to live within you and makes you into a new person, from the inside out. Because the bible is a spiritual book, you won't be able to understand it without the Holy Spirit. Since it wasn't quite clear in your message, have you truly given your life to Christ yet?

What you should do is get involved in your local community. Find a bible study in your area. As far as churches, you need a bible believing church that teaches on the Lordship of Jesus Christ. Pray that God will lead you to such a church. Much of what we need we petition the Lord for in prayer, and He will supernaturally accomplish it for us. He will give you clear signs that will lead you to the right place.

I have more to say, but I'll wait for you to answer before I go on..

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi Matt. Welcome. My advice would be to continue reading the Bible. Specifically, I'd suggest reading the book of John several times to give you a real good feel for who Jesus is. Then if you feel up to it, go on to Romans (it's a pretty deep theological book). It is important to go to a Bible-believing church, but you may have trouble identifying one if you aren't sure on what all the Bible is saying. How close is Huntington Beach to Sun Valley?

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello and welcome! I strongly recommend a good study Bible: NIV Study Bible or ESV Study Bible are both very good. They will give you a lot of background about each book, why it was written and to whom, as well as notes about how to understand the passages.

You may also want to check out some online devotionals that give you a few lines of scripture, and some practical ways that it applies to our lives. There are lots of free ones online here:

Daily Devotions – Read devotionals by topic, ministry and in Spanish

Try some out and see what you like. And don't be discouraged if you have periods of doubt and confusion. Even long-time Christians go through those difficult times.

Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm familiar with the writings of Dr. Craig; I'll look up the other names. I actually began with a primer in apologetics; that's what really started to draw me, in the sense that it cleared up many of my initial doubts. It's hard to explain - mostly because, like I said, I'm primarily going off strong instinct rather than experience, which is where you're all coming from - but while I can grasp the 'academic' aspects of Christianity, so to speak (apologetics, history, etc.), my grey areas are the religion itself and the majority of the Bible. There's only so much the internet, as biased as it can sometimes be, can truly provide me with in the absence of first-hand experience or hands-on teaching. Not to speak ill of the many lectures and books which are beneficial (and I'll get to them), but I'll eventually need to know how to bring everything together into one, because at this moment it feels like....well, like my faith is fractured into separate components - my personal faith in God, the parts of the Bible I've been studying, the theological essays I've read - but they haven't all come together into anything cohesive or coherent. I hope somebody has an idea of what I'm talking about.

Well, the most basic doctrine of any Christian(Catholics, Baptists, Pentecostals, et cetera) is that Jesus was the Son of God, came to earth and died for our sins, and was raised three days later, beating Death and is now our Savior. Starting from that, everything will start to fall into place, it will just take time and learning. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! We love to answer questions(so does God, BTW)!

I hope I'm not coming off as offensive or anything; I'm almost afraid like I'm describing Christianity like test-driving a new car. Maybe it sounds like I'm jumping into it, and maybe I am, but the more I read and discover, the stronger I feel an indescribable closeness to it. It's making a lot of sense, but then again, it's also not making a lot of sense. I'm just trying to figure things out.

In some things, we just have to know that we won't know. As long as you take this seriously, you will find peace and fulfillment! Welcome to CF, my Brother!

Upvote 0

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟37,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all for your responses; you've been an enormous help so far. :)

Welcome brother. The most important thing you need to understand is that to be a Christian is to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. To have that relationship you need to be born again. Do you know what that means? You also need to know who Jesus is, what He has done for you, what happens when you become a Christian, and what a life lived for Christ looks like. There is a lot to know, but truly the most basic thing is that you need to understand the gospel. Would you say you do understand it?

...Since it wasn't quite clear in your message, have you truly given your life to Christ yet?
I would feel confident in saying that I do understand the gospel, at least in the sense that I've read them and understand who Jesus is and what it means to be a Christian. As far as giving my life to Him, I'm not yet sure whether I "truly" have or not. I've recently begun praying, asking for His forgiveness and guidance, and I've altered my lifestyle to abstain from sin, but being alone in this process, I'm still figuring my way through it. I would be truthful in saying I'm readily giving my heart and trust to Christ, but is that synonymous with giving one's life? I can't help but feel there's more I should do before I can say and believe that my life is fully with Him.

Hi Matt. Welcome. My advice would be to continue reading the Bible. Specifically, I'd suggest reading the book of John several times to give you a real good feel for who Jesus is. Then if you feel up to it, go on to Romans (it's a pretty deep theological book). It is important to go to a Bible-believing church, but you may have trouble identifying one if you aren't sure on what all the Bible is saying. How close is Huntington Beach to Sun Valley?
Thank you; it's been tough figuring out where one is to start with the Bible after the gospel...I've been trying to map out where to continue from there. Sun Valley is in Los Angeles, about an hour from Orange County. Why do you ask? Is there something particularly of note there?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would feel confident in saying that I do understand the gospel, at least in the sense that I've read them and understand who Jesus is and what it means to be a Christian. As far as giving my life to Him, I'm not yet sure whether I "truly" have or not. I've recently begun praying, asking for His forgiveness and guidance, and I've altered my lifestyle to abstain from sin, but being alone in this process, I'm still figuring my way through it. I would be truthful in saying I'm readily giving my heart and trust to Christ, but is that synonymous with giving one's life? I can't help but feel there's more I should do before I can say and believe that my life is fully with Him.

Let me introduce you to a concept that takes some time to get used to.

"Faith without works is dead."(The Book of James)

I'm going to assume that you know absolutely nothing about the Bible, so don't think that I'm condescending your intelligence, lol.

As Christians, we are called God's Church. The Church(not to be confused with 'church') is a part of something even bigger, God's Kingdom. Christians are to advance God's Kingdom. This is done by adding believers to the Church. Now everyone has their own likes, dislikes, talents, abilities, et cetera. Thus, how each of us go about "fishing for men", is quite different. Some take a direct role in ministry and become pastors. Some work behind-the-scenes and are deacons or work at McDonalds. God has given each of us different strengths so we can affect society in different ways. If we all were pastors, who would clean the churches? Who would be a light to scientists? We each have a different way, and that is God's Plan. This is not done easily, and takes time, but it is very rewarding.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all for your responses; you've been an enormous help so far. :)

Thank you; it's been tough figuring out where one is to start with the Bible after the gospel...I've been trying to map out where to continue from there. Sun Valley is in Los Angeles, about an hour from Orange County. Why do you ask? Is there something particularly of note there?
This is Satan's slickest trap. Be wary of it..... most Christians, especially new ones, fall right into it.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,933,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Some of my favorite churches are not too far from you. The closest would be Calvary Chapel of Costa Mesa, w/Pastor Chuck Smith. Here is their web address: http://www.calvarychapelcostamesa.com/new/ You can listen and/or watch sermons and services online there as well as visit the church. Going to church and eventually finding a church home and church family is critical for you, especially as a new Christian.

As far as continuing your study at home, various teachers and theologians who have daily radio broadcasts also put them on their websites where you can listen for free 24 hrs per day. There is usually both a link to today's broadcast and to an archive of broadcasts. Here are three of my favorites to click on and listen to that should be very helpful to you.
Renewing Your Mind - w/Dr. RC Sproul
Grace To You - w/Dr. John MacArthur (his church, Grace Community Church, is about an hr drive from you in Sun Valley)
Insight For Living - w/Pastor Chuck Swindoll (he used to be the pastor at First Evangelical Free Church in Fullerton, but I believe he is now the head of Dallas Theological Seminary)
Welcome to CF .. :wave:

Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you; it's been tough figuring out where one is to start with the Bible after the gospel.

Ephesians or 1 Corinthians are also good to read after the gospels; and of course Acts to find out how the story continues.

Sun Valley is in Los Angeles, about an hour from Orange County.

Garden Grove is just down the road, though, I see.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
MattP-

I suggest that you contact a Methodist, Presbyterian, or Lutheran Church in your area. The Southern Baptist Church is also a good denomination, but they have a tendency to be condescending toward those who enter their church denomination.

But in all honesty you need to use caution. There are denominations/sects, especially in the more evangelical area, which insist that salvation can only come to a person who joins their particular church, and then obeys its heirarchy unconditionally and unquestioningly. Avoid those churches.

I call them 'salvation on a stick' churches, due to their stressing that there is always an agenda that must be promoted more rigorously, and a set of ecclesiastical laws which must be adhered to more forcefully, or else salvation will be lost. I have found both the agendas and the laws to be geared specifically to giving the heirarchy of that particular church ever-increasing power over every aspect of our lives. Trust me; you don't want another mortal to have that much power over anyone else.

Whatever church you contact, ask them if they accept certain passages of Scripture. These passages are:

1. Romans 3:19-5:10; this passage makes it clear that our salvation is firmly grounded in what God himself has already done on our behalf, rather than its being based on what we can accomplish ourselves.

2. Galatians 5:16-26; this passage makes it clear that in order for us to truly behave in a Christlike manner, the motivations which lead to our actions must be 'the fruit of the Spirit'. This 'fruit' can only be obtained via our accepting the salvation which God has earned on our behalf.

3. Matthew 25:31-46; this passage is 'the litmus test' for any church. It's the 'feed the hungry' passage. Those who have sincerely accepted the salvation that God offers will show evidence of it through their compassion for others who are in need (this is what James stressed in James 2:14-26). The needs of those around us are to be seen as an affirmation of our faith, rather than an interruption of it.

I hope this has helped you. God bless-

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where you intend to go matters greatly on how finished they feel the finished work of Jesus was. You will find many denominations that will heartily agree that Jesus cleansed us from sin and freed us.... BUT, in the next breath they will tell you all the things you have to do to "hold onto" that salvation. Not only are there ongoing, often daily, efforts (or "works) that they will tell you a Christian must be engaged in, but they will also often require certain things be done weekly to cover any sinning you may have done.

They usually see this sinning as "falling from grace" or "removing yourself from fellowship with God". It is their profound belief that you must do something (usually a church-ordained ritual) to gain back that status of once again being in communion with God.

Nothing could be farther from Biblical truth.

(This is how Paul White expresses it.)

To address the issue of falling from grace, let's go to the passage in question and get insight into how Paul viewed God's grace. We find it in his letter to the church at Galatia. The portion about falling from grace is at the end of the verse, but look at the whole verse, and notice what Paul says will cause someone to actually fall from God's grace.

Galatians 5:4 KJV said:
Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace

Did you catch it? Nowhere in that verse does Paul even hint that when a believer sins he or she will fall out of God's grace. Instead, Paul states that when you seek to be justified by the keeping of the law, you render Christ completely ineffective in your life, thus you fall from God's grace. In other words, when you try to be righteous based on your works or your abilities, you are saying, "I don't need God's grace. Grace is a gift, and I don't want a gift; I want a salary! And I'll pick up that paycheck I've earned by going through the appropriate actions each week at church."

I realize that we may not phrase it quite like I did in that last paragraph, but, in essence, it is what we are saying. Paul said it this way:
Romans 4:4 said:
Now to him that worketh is the reward not reconed of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but beliveth on Him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

See how when you work for your goodness and your blessings it is God who owes you? On the opposite end of the spectrum, you simply believe in what Christ has done for you, and God counts that in your favor, seeing you as righteous.

Which one do you want?

Upvote 0

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't know lads, I really don't; this is an issue I think you have to struggle with.

I mean if you're a true Born in the spirit Christian and you're ignoring God's quiet voice...
This is something I've done and I'm doing, putting things off saying yes Lord I know it's bad but continuing to wallow in the mire. Well I can always feel the spirit withdrawing somewhat in these occasions. I wonder is their a tipping point you can slip over into reprobation?

I think there is and I just be careful is all I'm saying, Peter talks about this when he says is 2 Peter 2:20-22

Tis a frightful thing is it not to behold the wrath of the Lord.

Listen guys I'm not the judge, Christ is our righteousness, this is more of a letter to myself I'm not pointing fingers but I'd be careful, is all I'm saying.

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Peace!

I would like to recommend a full gospel, charismatic church to attend. Often they are nondenominational.
I would strongly recommend a church where the anointing power of God to "break the yoke" of oppression from you and usher you into the overcoming power of God.

Go to where the supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit are still in manifestation. The devil has his counterparts, and although they are many scam artists, many spiritists have real demonic power (stay away from!) God's power is greater. It's a brand new day for you and their is nothing like receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit after you have been born again. Some receive this years after becoming a Christian, but the Feast of Pentecost is still going on today. You can enter this without a lot of fanfare and hype. In fact, many denominations have small prayer groups where this is going on.

One thing God will make very clear to you (if you go where the anointed Word of God is preached) is that He will back up His Word. The doing of this Word will become the very foundation of your life.

When choosing a church, you can begin to guage where God is leading you by the fruit you are bearing. If you have a deep peace, you can usually rely on this as a "tell" that you're on the right track.

If you're a "baby" Christian, you'll need to feed on the sincere milk of the Word (as the Bible calls it). It will build you up and keep your leaf green, so to speak.

Anyway, whether denominational or non, try to find a "charismatic" church where the gifts of the Spirit operate.
You'll find the supernatural, which unfortunately, is missing from many churches. Some will even tell you that it stopped when the last original apostles died. It did not!

There is a LOT of good preaching on Youtube. Do a search for the "Holy Spirit". Enjoy your new life!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.