Newbie to this forum..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tavita

beside quiet waters He restores my soul..
Sep 20, 2004
Singleton NSW
✟7,551.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
AU-Liberals
Hi everyone,

higgs2 asked me to make a thread and introduce myself, and give you all a chance to know me, and I you... I've just come back to the Anglican Church after being away for twenty years.

I grew up Anglican in Australia, but drifted away as a teenager. In my twenties I made a personal commitment to Jesus and joined the Salvation Army for a couple of years, then moved to a little town way up north on the very top tip of Australia called Weipa. The only church was a co-operating parish.. three years Anglican and then it changed to three years Uniting Church. Those first three years in the Anglican Church were for me the best years I've ever known. I was confirmed there by a Bishop Jamieson, who is now Bishop in Bunbury, Western Australia, I believe.

Since then I've been involved in Pentecostal churches, left the church to be involved in the Hebrew Roots movement, and left that a couple of years ago... :)

I married an American man last year and I'm here in Illinois on a twelve month visa before having to go back to Oz to do the immigration process. Both of us are involved with a group who does a church service for the physically and intellectually handicapped on Sunday afternoons. The group picks them up from homes, does church for them and then feeds them a two course meal before taking them home (this is in another town a fair drive from where we live). Quite often my husband is ill and being new to the US I don't have a lot of friends. So, I decided to go to St Pauls Episcopalian Church here in this town.

The first Sunday I went, I felt like I'd come home. The liturgy is so rich compared to the service in other denoms, and the people are loving and accepting. I love it. I believe I've come full circle back to where I belong.

Other than that, this is my third marriage. My first husband passed away when three of my children were very young. I married way too early again and then experienced twenty years of... well.. the Lord used it to deal with me. :D. We divorced about six years ago, and I met my now husband here in the old CF. He doesn't post at the moment as he's nearly blind.. but it will improve. He's not Anglican and probably won't be, but he supports me... he's a good egg.. ^_^

I have four children, and my tenth grandchild was born two days ago... I have to wait until March to see her! I miss my kids, but I know that I'll get to see them once a year in the future, and the phone and email make it seem they're not too far away.

I love 4U... it was better as CF. I try to leave sometimes but always come back, I love the people here, and the format of the place. So... that's me.

PS.. from what I've read online I think there's a little bit of a difference in the Anglican Church in Oz to the Episcopalian Church in America... but I'm not going to concern myself with it.

God bless ya's... :)

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi Tavita! :wave:
Welcome! Thank you for posting to introduce yourself, yours is an inspirational story as God works in your life. Your church service ministry for disabled people sounds very interesting. I'm so glad that you've found a good church home to worship in yourself, where you will be fed and built up. What a blessing!

You might find here in STR that we get ourselves all worked up about the current crises and divisions in the Anglican church, but even when we are demonstrating strife, most of us here in STR have built up long-term and ongoing caring relationships with each other, albeit online.

Please feel free to post new threads about topics that you are interested in - we need fresh input! :D

Upvote 0

Tavita

Sep 20, 2004
Singleton NSW
✟7,551.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
AU-Liberals
Thanks for all the welcomes Peeps!

I'm not much good at starting new threads (on my own initiative that is..), so, I think after a few days it'll probably get back to the same monotony. :sorry:

Yes, I've heard about the current crises and divisions within the Church. I checked out St Paul's online (great little website) before going and found them to have the same beliefs in that regards as me. But I know God will work it all out in the end, to His glory.

Peace be with you... too

Upvote 0

norbie

Veteran
Jan 23, 2007
✟9,654.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So welcome my Dear Lady. I have also worked for 16 years in the ALU - Industrie, but the competition, in Gove. But I know Wipa and Comalco well.
Now it's great to have an other Aussie here, and your American connection? well it's like Howard and Busch, we love each other.
So welcome and 'Good day, Mate' as Slim Dusty would have said!:clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tavita

Sep 20, 2004
Singleton NSW
✟7,551.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
AU-Liberals
So welcome my Dear Lady. I have also worked for 16 years in the ALU - Industrie, but the competition, in Gove. But I know Wipa and Comalco well.
Now it's great to have an other Aussie here, and your American connection? well it's like Howard and Busch, we love each other.
So welcome and 'Good day, Mate' as Slim Dusty would have said!:clap:

Thank you, kind Sir.

Wow!.. isn't it a small world!

We lived in Weipa for nine years, from 1980 - 89. My husband worked for Comalco in tyre repair and also was a partner in 'Weipa Retailers', the shop that sold dinguys, outboard motors, lots of spare parts for everything. Motor bikes and parts and then brought in Mitre 10. He managed the shop for a couple of years. I wouldn't have a clue what's happened to the shop now, we got out years ago. We all have fond memories of the place.

My son just took his wife and two kids on a trek to Weipa and the tip a couple of months ago. He's wanted to go back and see it again ever since we left.

We heard about Gove a lot while we were there. It sounded like a great place, just as isolated as Weipa.

Thanks for the welcome... catch ya later.... :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.