Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Guns are banned and if another similar but smaller weapon comes along - they will be too in Australia.
I agree with gun control, to the extent that owners must be sane. We obviously don't want them in the hands of extremist groups either.
The point I was trying to make in my last reply, was that banning anything doesn't solve the problem.
The only effective way to tackle any problem is to deal with the root cause or motivating factor and that's something that no amount of legislation can change.
If someone want's to kill, they'll always find a way and no laws can remove the desire to kill.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
now the only ones who carry guns are the cops and criminals. That leaves everyone else with no way to defend themselves.

This sounds like a better alternative than US where police has to assume everyone is armed and they are in mortal danger on every alert case and then you have Yoga teachers in night gowns getting body bags because cops got jittery.

I am fine with people being armed if it included periodic training, mental health checks and safe storage requirements for the weapon storage.

But usually people feel this is too much effort required.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
This sounds like a better alternative than US where police has to assume everyone is armed and they are in mortal danger on every alert case and then you have Yoga teachers in night gowns getting body bags because cops got jittery.

I am fine with people being armed if it included periodic training, mental health checks and safe storage requirements for the weapon storage.

But usually people feel this is too much effort required.
No man made system is perfect, so there will always be the 1 in 100,000 000 chance of an innocent person being shot.
I agree that all gun owners should undergo criminal and mental background checks, before they get the privilege to own a gun.
The Australian public is at the mercy of armed criminals, the police are never around when you need them.
This corona virus might lead to food shortages, and armed criminals could break into homes to steal food. I think the government should allow people to defend themselves in their own homes.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Australian public is at the mercy of armed criminals

Thing with armed criminals is that most people never see one, even in US let alone in Western Europe or Australia.

Should they get that rare experience then your chances of walking away uninjured are vastly increased by not owning a gun and making panic moves.

Of course sometimes the odds just do not play out and you get shot whatever you do whatever you had a gun or not.

Bit like taking a harpoon with you every time you go surfing. You might need it once in your lifetime when sharks attacks but would probably botch the job anyway the one day it actually happens.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The Australian public is at the mercy of armed criminals, the police are never around when you need them.
This corona virus might lead to food shortages, and armed criminals could break into homes to steal food. I think the government should allow people to defend themselves in their own homes.

I live in Australia and I have no idea what you're talking about. Sure we have home invasions but in relative terms to other nations, that type of crime is low. "At the Mercy of Armed criminal"? What on earth are you talking about?

And whats with the scare-campaign about armed criminals breaking in for food? This is just pure fantasy. Dan, I wish you wouldn't spread such things. The PM and other agents have said time and again, that there are no food shortages. It really doesn't help to go spreading alarm, telling people to arm themselves and prepare for armed gangs breaking in to raid their fridge. It's just plain irresponsible to be spreading such rumours.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Thing with armed criminals is that most people never see one, even in US let alone in Western Europe or Australia.

Should they get that rare experience then your chances of walking away uninjured are vastly increased by not owning a gun and making panic moves.

Of course sometimes the odds just do not play out and you get shot whatever you do whatever you had a gun or not.

Bit like taking a harpoon with you every time you go surfing. You might need it once in your lifetime when sharks attacks but would probably botch the job anyway the one day it actually happens.
I take your point, but I believe there's no ideal solution. There are pros and cons with every law or system, we live in a fallen world with all kinds of sinners. Some are corrupt politicians and others are gang members, but they both contribute to the crime rate in their own way.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I live in Australia and I have no idea what you're talking about. Sure we have home invasions but in relative terms to other nations, that type of crime is low. "At the Mercy of Armed criminal"? What on earth are you talking about?

And whats with the scare-campaign about armed criminals breaking in for food? This is just pure fantasy. Dan, I wish you wouldn't spread such things. The PM and other agents have said time and again, that there are no food shortages. It really doesn't help to go spreading alarm, telling people to arm themselves and prepare for armed gangs breaking in to raid their fridge. It's just plain irresponsible to be spreading such rumours.
I appreciate it sounds far fetched, but if someone told you 3 months ago that there would be an armed hold up for toilet paper in Sydney. And others fighting for it, you would have said the same to them.
If Australians are prepared to go that far for toilet paper, imaging what they would do if our food or water supply was threatened.

We really don't know what's around the corner, things can go bad very quickly and the police may not be available to protect you.

Upvote 0