New York cafe turns away black trick-or-treaters on Halloween

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
The only witness is the Holloway woman who is claiming racism, and she was outside the window with a friend. We haven't heard explanations from anyone else who was there in order to know the full story.
No, the articles clearly state they were in the cafe.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The manager has fired the man after the public outcry and persisting demonization (including upcoming protests, boycotts and vandalism), so not sure why the cafe is still under target if the worker is not there anymore?

You haven't seen too many of these types of attacks on businesses, have you?

Firing employees and offering apologies never works. Seriously, point me to even one instance of a company doing that and the attacks dying down.

Firing employees and offering apologies only signals two things:
  1. That you admit that you did something wrong.
  2. That you will bow to outside pressure.
As such attacks only intensify afterwards. The complainers now know that if they push hard enough they can make you do what they want, and they feel justified in doing so since even you admit that you were in the wrong.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Christians are to be separate from this World.
We are one in the body of Christ, we should not make railing accusations against others.

Jude 1: 7. Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire. 8. Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities. 9. Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee. 10. But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.

Galatians 3: 26. For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29. And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You haven't seen too many of these types of attacks on businesses, have you?

Firing employees and offering apologies never works. Seriously, point me to even one instance of a company doing that and the attacks dying down.

On the contrary, I've seen too many of these types of attacks on businesses and individuals, not just for racism claims but also other politically heated issues. I pointed out that if our society weren't so scary, apologies and actions could stop the bloodthirst and anger, but I do know that never seems to happen, and it probably won't here either. My post made it clear I think people should get along and that's what "should" happen, but I stated he would probably lose his business over this.

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I believe the person with a clear vantage point:
18055726_1440826289558453_1512746978018526814_o.jpg

If you look at the observation posted on the Facebook page, they told the kids they were out of candy.

Clear vantage point of what? The outside of the cafe?

I don't doubt the person watching thinks racism is responsible...but thinking it's true and it being true are different things. It's easy to make accusations like this against someone who can't disprove them.

You yourself once mentioned that you thought it racist when store clerks didn't ask if you needed help...then I posted a short clip of black women who thought it racist when clerks did ask if they needed help. Perceptions can be wrong...

I'd find this more convincing if it didn't mention the person comes from a community board and gentrification. It seems like perhaps the accuser has an axe to grind against some local business owners.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not being white does not mean that one does not adopt the racist attitudes of the country, that partially contributed to the civil war in the 1990s among African Americans, African immigrants and Afro-Caribbean immigrants.
I had a good friend in college who was from Chile that was racist against Mexicans.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Holloway woman who is claiming racism, and she was outside the window with a friend. We haven't heard explanations from anyone else who was there in order to know the full story.
The Strand Cafe is located at 492 Nostrand Avenue in the heart of historically black Bed-Stuy. Oma Holloway, co-chair of Community Board 3 and chair of the CB3 Education and Youth Committee, told King County Politics that she and fellow CB3 board member Michael Catlyn were in the café waiting for food late in the afternoon on Halloween when they witnessed two young black children come in for trick or treat
https://www.theatlantavoice.com/art...ns-away-black-trick-or-treaters-on-halloween/

From the OP article.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Clear vantage point of what? The outside of the cafe?
What I don't understand is how someone can think that their post is relevant when it is obvious that they haven't read the OP article.
I'd find this more convincing if it didn't mention the person comes from a community board and gentrification. It seems like perhaps the accuser has an axe to grind against some local business owners.
She and a friend were customers inside the cafe waiting for their food.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What I don't understand is how someone can think that their post is relevant when it is obvious that they haven't read the OP article.

And she took no photos, no video, we're just supposed to take her word on it.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Look...I'm not saying it didn't happen...I'm just saying it's a little goofy coming from her. She seems to want to use this as a stepping stone against gentrification...

She's on the local community board for pete's sake...you do realize what the community board does, don't you?

Community boards of New York City - Wikipedia

They advise on land use and zoning, participate in the city budget process, and address service delivery in their district.[2]Regarding land use they are only advisory and mostly serve as mobilizing institutions for communities opposed to specific projects.

Part of what this lady does is try and get people riled up against gentrification. She's clearly not some unbiased 3rd party just sitting there having a cup of coffee.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It certainly didn't take her long to get this into the local community politics website...

https://www.kingscountypolitics.com...-african-american-trick-treaters-holding-bag/

“There’s too much stress about new businesses coming in and not treating us right. There’s so many issues with these businesses and gentrification,” she added.

Holloway said that rather than react with anger, she took the incident as a opportiunity to start educating some of the new people and businesses coming in.

There needs to be a dialogue and the [NYC] Commission on Human Rights should come into communities. If you’re new to the community there needs to be a level of respect on both ends, and we have to start holding businesses accountable on all levels and if they’re uncomfortable about doing that it’s a problem,” she said.

Good to see that she isn't trying to leverage this incident into a way of increasing her personal influence on local businesses and politics./s

It's funny how she mentions "if you're new to the community"...but the owner of the cafe claims to be a lifelong resident of the area. An area that's 75% black...and he's supposedly racist against blacks? He definitely picked the wrong place to open a cafe.

I would at least like to see a claim from the parents of the kids themselves...either the ones that got candy or the ones who didn't.

I dunno...it's a goofy story.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And she took no photos, no video, we're just supposed to take her word on it.
Nope, but we shouldn't take the word of the cafe owner either. Frankly, the owner is going to say whatever he needs to, to save his business. From the evidence presented he has more reason to lie than she and her friend does.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Look...I'm not saying it didn't happen...I'm just saying it's a little goofy coming from her. She seems to want to use this as a stepping stone against gentrification...

She's on the local community board for pete's sake...you do realize what the community board does, don't you?

Community boards of New York City - Wikipedia

Part of what this lady does is try and get people riled up against gentrification. She's clearly not some unbiased 3rd party just sitting there having a cup of coffee.
Where's your evidence that she and her friend try to get people riled up against the changing demographics in the neighborhood?
I think we would have to know how she and her friend have addressed these changes while in committee, would we not?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Nope, but we shouldn't take the word of the cafe owner either. Frankly, the owner is going to say whatever he needs to, to save his business. From the evidence presented he has more reason to lie than she and her friend do.

Good thing that "guilty until proven innocent" is the standard for racism claims, isn't it?

Of course, the guy is more motivated to lie...his livelihood is at stake. She's not some regular customer who just saw something and said something though...she's loaded with bias.

You don't find it at all odd that a place that serves blacks 24/7 suddenly chooses Halloween night to be racist?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It certainly didn't take her long to get this into the local community politics website...

https://www.kingscountypolitics.com...-african-american-trick-treaters-holding-bag/

Good to see that she isn't trying to leverage this incident into a way of increasing her personal influence on local businesses and politics./s

It's funny how she mentions "if you're new to the community"...but the owner of the cafe claims to be a lifelong resident of the area. An area that's 75% black...and he's supposedly racist against blacks? He definitely picked the wrong place to open a cafe.

I would at least like to see a claim from the parents of the kids themselves...either the ones that got candy or the ones who didn't.

I dunno...it's a goofy story.
The owner has never been accused of being racist. It was a worker who she says was the offender.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Nope, but we shouldn't take the word of the cafe owner either. Frankly, the owner is going to say whatever he needs to, to save his business. From the evidence presented he has more reason to lie than she and her friend does.

If that's your position the whole thing reduces down to "he said, she said" with no hard evidence for either side. Thus the sensible thing to do would be to drop the issue until more information appeared, not to insist that somehow something racist must have really happened.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0